The complaint has been investigated and
resolved to the customer's satisfactionResolved King Charles Cavalier Puppies — No Refund for a Puppy that Died in Less Than a Week from Parvo/Distemper
resolved to the customer's satisfaction
I wish I had read this before purchasing my King Charles Cavalier. I too was sent a sick puppy which was in breach of the contract sent by this breeder however the name they sold under was Kingdom Cavaliers. I was called the night before and told that the dog "ate something he wasn't supposed to" and that he was on antibiotics that they would send with the dog. The puppy was sent from Texas to New Jersey. The first day the puppy was acting like a normal puppy would but by Tuesday he would not eat (although I gave him food through a dropper), only drink and had diarrhea along with a cough. I took him to the vet's office where he had a chest x-ray because the vet believed he had pneumonia, however it was determined that his lungs were clear so they put him on Clavamox for and upper respiratory infection and stated that if he was not better by the next day he would have to be hospitalized. I returned with the puppy the next day since he had grown lethargic and disinterested in doing anything but lay in his crate and was vomiting up the medicine I was giving him. The vet that looked at the dog on Wednesday determined that he was "unfit for sale" since the dog was ill prior to leaving the breeder's care and that he needed intravenous antiobiotic medications. Because it was the day before the July 4th holiday the puppy had to be sent to North Star Animal Hospital for 24 hour emergency care since my vet office would not be open the following day. The vet immediately took blood samples and determined the dog was suffering from Parvo and started him on the treatment protocol for the disease which is the same antiobiotic that he was receiving orally (clavamox) through an intravenous. This vet also stated that the dog was "unfit for sale". My children were hysterical when I was told the vet bill would be at least $5000.00 which I could not afford since I paid $1825 for the dog and had already had over $300.00 in additional vet bills. Since my 7 and 4 year old offered to take money from the piggy bank to pay for the puppy my heart strings were pulled and I decided to do whatever I could to save the puppy. All while this was going on I was in contact with the breeder. The vet advised that this disease is highly contagious and more than likely went through the entire litter of puppies. I contacted North Star at 10am the following morning and spoke with another vet that was on duty who also stated that the dog was "unfit for sale" and that NJ lemon laws regarding puppies prevents breeders from selling animals to NJ residents who are ill and are responsible to pay all veterinary bills up to double the original cost of the dog and that she would provide me with all the necessary paper work to take legal action against the breeder. She also advised to call back at 6pm to check in on Patrick because he was in isolation and I would not be able to go into the room due to the highly contagious nature of the disease. At 6pm In the evening they stated that his vitals, potassium level and gluclose levels were good and that he only had two bouts with bloody diarrhea and vomiting but unfortuanely things to a drastic turn for the worse at 9pm when the vet called my house to tell me that Patrick was now seizing and he was in seizures more than out and that he was suffering from Distemper as well. He was urinating and defecating all over himself and that he would not make it through the night. The dog did pass away Thursday evening only five days after I received him from the breeder. When I contacted them that evening they stated that they would replace the dog with another available dog in the litter, however after researching Parvo I determined that my home would not be safe for another animal for at least a month and relayed my concerns to the breeder that went unanswered. North Star contacted me to find out what to do with his remains and the breeder now insisted on an autopsy which would cost an additional $350.00 on top of the $1, 500.00 in vet bills I had already paid. After reading this I was sure that despite the fact that the breeder knowningly sent me a sick puppy and therefore was in breach of contract, they would find some other way not to replace the dog. Please do not buy a puppy from this breeder!!! They are not reputable!!! No reputable breeder would send you a sick puppy on an airline or ask you to send a sick puppy back on an airline!!! They do not care about their animals!!! If you live in New Jersey, buy in New Jersey!!! Our state protects you and the animals from people like this!!! You will spend far more money on puppies from these people than you would ever spend on a puppy from a breeder in NJ, PA or any of the other states offering a lemon law for puppies! If you have recently purchase a puppy from this litter do not hesitate to have the dog checked for distemper and parvo. The incubation period is 14 to 16 days and it is a horrible illness that has a very low morality rate despite the best care due to the fact that there is no cure and that the vets can only support the puppy as he or she overcomes the virus. My family is devastated by the loss and to make matters worse we are not able to replace the dog until the parvo / distemper virus has been eradicated from my home and my yard. Lastly I did my research! I actually stopped the purchase of another dog because he had an overbite! I work in law enforcement and cannot believe I was taken for $3500.00 by these people. I feel it is important to put your experiences out there so you can save another family from heartbreak! Please stay very far away from miracle mikis and Kingdom Cavaliers for the sake of you and their puppies!!!