GREEN MAGAZINEFRAUD

D

Same as with the other complaints already filed, a National Advertising Center sales rep approached me to advertise in the The Green Magazine, a bi-monthly publication distributed at WHOLE FOODS. This representative claimed that the particular WHOLE FOODS store was one of "their" busiest stores with an approx. circulation of 15, 000 every two months. Furthermore, I was assured that the magazine was placed in a highly visible location near the doorway of the store. I was lead to believe this was being done in cooperation with Whole Foods and had no reason to doubt it based upon the "Green" nature of the magazine.

What in fact followed was anything other than promised. I called WHOLE FOOD'S corporate offices and they claim never to have had a business relationship with NAC, much less anything resembling a contractual agreement to distribute their magazines on their property. One of my fellow advertisers in the magazine told me they even went to the particular Whole Foods and spoke with the store manager who also disavowed any agreement with NAC. When I brought this up to NAC, Stephanie who I believe is in their customer service department, claimed that in February of 2009, NAC approached Whole Foods National about distributing their magazines at their stores. According to her, Whole Foods National told them that such matters are handled at the store level. Afterwards, Stephanie claims NAC sent their reps to all the individual stores managers and obtained agreements to distribute. When confronted with the denial of any agreements by Whole Foods, Stephanie explained that the store managers were concealing the truth of the alleged agreements "because they didn't want to get in trouble." In short, by their own admission, NAC appears to have NEVER secured valid distribution rights with Whole Foods and have no proof thereof.

There are now two new substitute distribution locations, however they are nothing like Whole Foods in either volume or consumer profile that are remotely comparable. Moreover, after having inspected one of them they weren't any Green Mags at the location and the store manager said she had never even seen or heard of the magazine. I found a smile pile near the floor at the second location where I wouldn't expect more than one or two people a week to even notice the obscurely placed stack of magazines.

Without beleaguering the point, NAC representatives have ranged from rude to unresponsive. They more often than not, don't return calls and refuse to take responsibility. They point you to the contract that basically says they can don't have to make good on anything the sales rep sold you on.

Between all the advertisers, I'd estimate that we got taken for a collective $15, 000-$20, 000 for a 20-page pamphlet that I doubt they print more than 600 per year, a far cry from the 7, 500 a month that was told to me to get my money.

• Ws
    WsptMC Feb 16, 2010

Like others who have posted here on complaintsboard.com, we believe we were scammed by Green Magazine. Our business (The Westport Music Center) purchased an ad in the magazine, which was to be distributed (free to customers) at the local Stop & Shop. These magazines never appeared at Stop & Shop, or, to our knowledge, the alternate (and less desirable) site(s) we were told they changed to (CVS). (BTW, we would not have taken the ad at the alternate location.) It looks like there were about 15 ads (we did get a copy sent to us directly), and the other advertisers we have spoken with are equally concerned. None of us have seen any copies locally distributed, or gotten any satisfactory information from Green Magazine.
    We opted to pay in installments, and, since no magazines were distributed, and no reps at Green Magazine admit to knowing about any problem, we did not make the final payment. Now, they are threatening to put us into collections and even take this to court. Unbelievable. This appears to be totally fraudulent.

• Ca
    Canadian Business Owner Mar 05, 2010

I own a business in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and I too was approached by a rep from National Advertising to feature my business in the Green Magazine exactly in the way the above person described. As per above I also found out that the Green Magazine has nothing whatsoever to do with Wholefoods and this is in fact a big scam. It is a very convincing from the art department contacting you about the proof for your ad, to the reminders to pay your instalment payments. If you own business and are approached to advertise with Wholefoods please be wary this is a fraud. For the sake of Google word search let me repeat: "Green Magazine is a fraud".

• Ka
    Kate2512 Aug 04, 2010

Unfortunately, I have made the same mistake and advertised with the Green Magazine.

This company is a complete fraud and on top of that, the rudest people I have ever dealt with. I was promised an ad in the magazine and distribution at stores around my area. 3 months and $ 1000.- later, I have not seen the magazine, not gotten a receipt and the places where this "magazine" is supposed to be distributed are empty.

Finally after several attempts I succeeded in speaking to the manager of this "company". She is the rudest person, she never listened to me, but instead yelled into the phone that "there are no refunds" and started calling me names.

I am seriously considering suing them.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!

• Sh
    Sharry Lyn Jun 19, 2013

It is unfortunate that even though the contract is barely a page in length and takes 2 minutes to read that these business owners either did not read the contract or did read it and are forgetting the terms. all businesses have regulations. Even sales receipts have return policy on them.

Green Magazine always honors all written agreements. We simply cannot just assume that arrangements were made outside the contract. Just like we can not ask an advertiser to pay an amount not agreed upon in the signed contract. The contract protects both parties. The contract states the publications are restocked on a regular basis and placed on a RACK at the store. If the rack is empty that is a great sign because it means your publication is being picked up. We pay to print a beautiful color publication that we ship and pay for distribution of. Yes we charge for our services. All companies charge for services. Including the companies stating their complaints. We provided all services according to the signed agreement and we do need to be paid for the services. If someone has a complaint, please call us and if you are not receiving your contracted services we will gladly assist you further. We wish everyone the best in their business and advertising.

• As
    Ashleigh Potter Dec 09, 2016

I also have a issue with this company [protected]. They have taken 1, 000 from me the past few months. Has anyone filed a small claims?