Government AuctionsStay away, I warned you

E Review updated:

WARNING DANGEROUS: GOVERNMENTAUCTIONS.COM is a rip off. I have to tell because I do not want anyone else to get hurt by them. Here's the story...They unbelievable jewerly deals ( so it seems) Where they show you jewerly along with appraisal cards by a company called GLA which stands for Gem Labs of America, they make you beleive that what is on the card is what the jewerly is worth and Wow when we got it we ran right over to the jewerly store where our jeweler turned our smile to a FROWN!!! Our jeweler said this jewerly was only good for the bottom of a fish tank. Real Gems yes but quality was not for jewelry not like the appraisal on the card from GLA stated it was worth $11, 316.00. My jeweler said he would give me $1.50 for the silver ONLY. Need I say more. STAY AWAY I WARNED YOU.

• Ky
    KyCar May 04, 2012

Unfortunately I did not do my homework to learn about others' experiences with GovernmentAuction.com. I learned the hard way. I was suckered in by "estimated values" for many of their auction items. Indeed, many items also had what appeared to be authentic appraisals by the equally culpable Gemological Laboratory of America (GLA), Inc. After spending thousands of dollars on merchandise well below their advertized values, I discovered that this was of poor quality, little more than junk. The so-called "Premium Appraisals" produced by GLA are entirely fraudulent based upon the quality of merchandise I purchased. The photo is an example of a GLA appraisal for an item I purchased. That item it turns out is not worth 1 one hundredth of its advertized value.

This clearly is a case of fraud, both by GovernmentAuction.com and GLA. I have no recourse but to share my experience with others in the hope that they will avoid unscrupulous businesses such as these.

• Ka
    Katherine Zampitella Feb 08, 2020

@KyCar thanks for the warning I just bid on there web site hopefully someone will out bid me thanks Katherine

• Go
    governmentauction Dec 26, 2012

governmentauction.com uses Gemological Laboratories of America for our third party appraisals, which is the 2nd Largest Apprasier in Los Angeles, CA.
    GovernmentAuction.com utilizes Retail Replacement Value Appraisals, which are the most common. These types of evaluations are written for insurance needs. This would be the cost to replace the jewelry with an item of equal quality and kind, considered to be the current market price or the replacement value. This type of appraisal is done to protect you in the event of damage or loss of a valuable item. Our appraisals are conducted by and independent 3rd Party appraisal firm that utilizes Certified GIA Gemologist, if more information is needed you are welcome to contact them directly: Gemological Laboratory of America- [email protected]
    Appraisals should be used for verification of gemstone and/or metal weight, size, and grade only, not actual value. Appraisal value should be considered for insurance purposes only, not actual value, as price varies greatly from retail locations thru out the world. Items should not be purchased with the expectation to resell for appraisal price, or for profit.

• Ji
    jimbo203 Jan 24, 2013

Maybe enough complaints will bring on a class action lawsuit,
    governmentauction.com As to the claims reported with Certified product. These items are fraudulent and are junk. If GLA is certified they would know that these items are clearly not of gem quality and are worthless. I took these to a Gemologist to have appraised they basically told me this is fraudulent certificate even for insurance purposes, as if for some reason I needed to file
    a claim to replace the item they would not pay because the items hold no value and is a fraudulent certificate. (These are NOT gems) As for the 30 day money back guarantee, it takes time to follow up on the value 30 day guarantee would not be long enough as I am disabled and have to travel any where to get any type of services from where I live. This is definitely a scam and Why would any gemologist put a value on a certificate like this when it is clearly junk. It is unethical and a ripoff.
    Looking at the items I have purchase in a government auction this is what I thought I was bidding on, Exactly how it was presented. Clearly misrepresented.

Est. Value 8.3K - 13.8K 287.19CT Ruby & Sterling Silver Necklace, Jewelry and Gem - GLA estimated retail value 27, 578.00

Est. Value 34.7K - 57.8K 1, 724.45CT Oval Cut Emerald Gemstone, Jewelry and Gem - GLA estimated retail value 115, 538.00
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
    § 23.0 Scope and application.(a) These guides apply to jewelry industry products, which include, but are not limited to, the following: gemstones and their laboratory-created and imitation substitutes; natural and cultured pearls and their
    imitations; and metallic watch bands not permanently attached to watches. These guides also apply to articles, including optical frames, pens and pencils, flatware, and hollowware, fabricated from precious metals (gold, silver and platinum group metals), precious metal alloys, and their imitations. These guides also apply to all articles made from pewter. For the purposes of these guides, all articles covered by these guides are defined as “industry products.”(b) These guides apply
    to persons, partnerships, or corporations, at every level of the trade (including but not limited to manufacturers, suppliers, and retailers) engaged in the business of offering for sale, selling, or distributing industry products.
    Note to paragraph ( b ): To prevent consumer deception, persons, partnerships, or corporations in the business of appraising, identifying, or grading industry products should utilize the terminology and standards set forth in the guides. (c)
    These guides apply to claims and representations about industry products included in labeling, advertising, promotional materials, and all other forms of marketing, whether asserted directly or by implication, through words, symbols, emblems, logos, illustrations, depictions, product brand names, or through any other means.(d) These guides set forth the Federal Trade Commission's current thinking about claims for jewelry and other articles made from precious metals and pewter. The guides help marketers and other industry members avoid making claims that are unfair or deceptive under Section 5 of the FTC Act, 15 U.S.C. 45. They do not confer any rights on any person and do not operate to bind the FTC or the public. The Commission, however, may take action under the FTC Act if a marketer or other industry member makes a claim inconsistent with the guides. In any such enforcement action, the Commission must prove that the challenged act or practice is
    unfair or deceptive in violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act.(e) The guides consist of general principles, specific guidance on the use of particular claims for industry products, and examples. Claims may raise issues that are addressed by more than one example and in more than one section of the guides. The examples provide the Commission's views on how reasonable consumers likely interpret certain claims. Industry members may use an alternative approach if the approach
    satisfies the requirements of Section 5 of the FTC Act. Whether a particular claim is deceptive will depend on the net impression of the advertisement, label, or other promotional material at issue. In addition, although many examples present specific claims and options for qualifying claims, the examples do not illustrate all permissible claims or qualifications under Section 5 of the FTC Act.
    [61 FR 27212, May 30, 1996, as amended at 64 FR 33194, June 22, 1999; 75 FR 81453, Dec. 28, 2010]

§ 23.1 Deception (general).It is unfair or deceptive to misrepresent the type, kind, grade, quality, quantity, metallic content, size, weight, cut, color, character, treatment, substance, durability, serviceability, origin, price, value, preparation, production, manufacture, distribution, or any other material aspect of an industry product.
    Note 1 to § 23.1: If, in the sale or offering for sale of an industry product, any representation is made as to the grade assigned the product, the identity of the grading system used should be disclosed.
    Note 2 to § 23.1: To prevent deception, any qualifications or disclosures, such as those described in the guides, should be sufficiently clear and prominent. Clarity of language, relative type size and proximity to the claim being qualified, and an absence of contrary claims that could undercut effectiveness, will maximize the likelihood that the qualifications and
    disclosures are appropriately clear and prominent.
    § 23.25 Misuse of the word “gem.”(a) (a) It is unfair or deceptive to use the word “gem” to describe, identify,
    or refer to a ruby, sapphire, emerald, topaz, or other industry product that does not possess the beauty, symmetry, rarity, and value necessary for qualification as a gem.

• Ji
    jimbo203 Feb 08, 2013

I emailed governmentauction.com, They resolved this problem with a full refund. They were very prompt in settling this matter...

• Ju
    Julianna Vanderbilt Nov 27, 2019

@jimbo203 Troll for governmentauctions.com
    If you’re going to defend this company use your real name. 🤮😇

• To
    To be considered Apr 08, 2014

I done some of the paperwork for one of GovernmentAuction.com bidders for two years but I am suspicious of the company myself.
    This company cancelled someone's invoice when someone tried to change the credit card in between the $50.00 and the rest of the first payment which their terms and conditions are supposed to okay this in which this was done by the third business day.
    This company does not seem to like him because of this and it seems that they blocked out the whole Suffolk county, Long Island, New York website and maybe other private websites that are available to the public just because of
    this.
    They might might also think that the county website are a policing website during an investigation.
    We have been trying to tell them for two years that this is there error.
    I have some 50 pages that I sent to them.

• Th
    The Danster Sep 23, 2014

any class action suites against governmentauctions.com yet...I'd love to join in. Any lawyers out there willing to take a case ? email me at [email protected]

• Gk
    gk98 Mar 07, 2018

TO ALL STAY AWAY DONT DO IT:governmentauction.com is a ripoff, I purchased some coins I never received. I was told they were put in another package that was delivered, only one item in package no coins. According to there rules coins are to be shipped separately. So why were these supposedly shipped with an unrelated item. Its all BS. Either the company is behind it
    or they have thieves in there packing dept. Still dealing with it, dont see it getting rectified.

• Gk
    gk98 Mar 08, 2018

Well, I did get my issue resolved. received all my items including coins everything is what I thought it would be, thanks government auction all is well

• Lo
    Lost Land! Jul 24, 2018

I suppose I'm a bigger fool than most. I actually purchased LAND from this company. They claimed all that would be owed was the bid price and $295 per year for HOA fees. Now, I have received an invoice from the HOA and they are charging me 'back-owed" HOA fees which are prior to my purchase date! The amount I would owe in back HOA fees is more than I paid for the property. I have contacted governmentauction.com and will await their response. I'll update this when a response is received. If it's not corrected, I intend to contact the attorney general of my state.

Just be wary, until you receive my update. Unfortunately, there is no way to ask questions during the auction.

• Ke
    Kevin Corrigan2 Dec 31, 2018

@Lost Land! In Illinois this is now law that the new owner can be charged up to 1yr back HOA fees.

• Au
    Audra Custodio Jan 02, 2019

@Kevin Corrigan2 So they do actually give you the land though, you just made aware of actual fees and debts associated with the property

• Jp
    jp32 Aug 17, 2018

I just got some things from one of thier auctions last weekend. Didnt overpay and was not looking to make a profit. I took w a" grain of salt" the jewelry estimates, since I have worked lapidary since I was a kid. those really big emeralds, rubies, sapphires- opaque, poorly cut and color treated beyond redemption- worth thousands? I think not. Nice paperweights if you dont pay too much. i got one for what I thought its worth...no where near the estimate.
    The thing that got me was the "one of a Kind" stuff. I missed out on a bid for a " one of a kind" piece, which went for a really low price to someone else. Miraculously, its back in this weekends auction! so they do have house bidders to take price higher for sure. They dont get enough - its back.

• Jr
    Jr2andsr Sep 07, 2018

We bought some land from governmentauctions.com only to find out there are no roads going to this land and no way to actually find exactly where it is or even get to it other than walking through the woods and guessing... a realitor told us this happens all the time.

• Bi
    Billmf Nov 06, 2018

I didn't find this site until I won 3 bids totaling over $800. What will happen if I don't pay for these items I won?

• Au
    Audra Custodio Jan 02, 2019

I almost purchased so glad a searched for scams in relation to this website

• Na
    Nathaw Jan 27, 2019

I tried to withdraw from the land bid by calling them but could not get in touch with anyone. I'd jumped into a bidding frenzy without knowing if there are any back taxes or HOA's fees. Forget about road frontage or accessibility. No pertinent info about California Pines. Raw land I understand but there has to be some disclosure about the properties they auction off. Should they not disclose this info to bidders? Of course, they should. They are not transparent in their auction deals and now I won the bid that I didn't want. And they quickly sent me an invoice for the bid. Should I get an attorney involved now or try talking to them first?

• La
    Land Investor Aug 09, 2019

The people complaining on here about their land purchases need to do some due diligence first before claiming someone "ripped them off." It's your responsibility as a buyer to understand what you are buying! It's not the seller's responsibility in any deed transaction to make sure you have called the county assessor, obtained records for clean chain of title, understand building codes, verified water/septic/power, physically visited the land, etc. It's called DUE DILIGENCE for a reason, people.

• Br
    Br Brewster Aug 27, 2019

@Land Investor Absolutely and it tells you that on the site..

• Ne
    Nemo Krad Nov 11, 2019

@Br Brewster Due diligence is great. When given enough information to do the work. These folks are selling a mining claim without being able to provide the record locator for the ontario mining claim system. These folks are a scam.

Joliegirl1 Mar 09, 2020

Bidding so far it's a very poor experience for me. I won a lot of stuff that may be worth some money in the morning, by afternoon it shows someone else won them. Like someone said before there might be someone in house bidding and make you loose if they feel you don't pay enough for the item. It's alright I won't pay for anything I will simply keep my money. I already made a mistake purchased a land I paid 236 USD so far and I request to cancel it for me because I already see a similar one post on the website again and the same land with the exact wording sold on another site for 80 USD. Let see what happen before I make more mistakes.

Joliegirl1 Mar 10, 2020

Anyone has good experience buying any land so far before I sign my payment contract? Please let me know.