Geddes Automotive Onehungaovercharge

I took my car to Geddes Automotive in Onehunga for repair (it was misfiring). They replaced a muffler but told me the car was still not running properly and would need to do tests. I agreed. I was charged $360 for tests and told that they thought they had identified the problem but were not sure. I was charged $70 for emails they sent to price spares and a courier fee although, I saw the muffler was on site. I was given a courtesy vehicle and told I would only have to pay fuel and milage if I went over 50 kms per day. When I told them that I was not prepared to pay a further amount for a repair they could not be sure was the cause of the problem and that I would settle the bill for the testing and baffle replacement I was charged an additional amount to "reassemble" the car and $25 per day I had the courtesy vehicle - the latter charge suddenly because I would not let them carry on with any further work.

All said and done I had to pay $733.65 for a muffler and some tests!

• Ps
    ps2015 Jan 18, 2015

Stay away!!!
    They installed $95 light bulbs and charged $200 to install them!! All up was charged $344 to change light bulbs..
    Then they blew just after warranty. They kept no record of which bulb types they installed even though they ordered themin, and when I asked to find out which part so I could contact the supplier they had no interest in checking their records. - Too much work they said, its not worth it.
    100% rip off, 0% interest in client satisfaction. - Avoid unless you like dinosaur cowboys.

• Al
    Allan Geddes Aug 30, 2011

TOTALLY MISLEADING REVIEW
    UNTRUE CLAIMS: Laura was not our customer so was not part of any discussions or signed contracts, it was not her that paid. We have written signed contracts with Andre. Andre did bring in a vehicle that was misfiring and overheating very dangerously.

WE told Andre there was more wrong with his vehicle than just a blocked catalytic converter. We warned Andre that his vehicles misfire had caused the cat converter to fail and if the misfire was not repaired he would destroy another cat/converter and the misfire would remain.

Andre told us he had this happen on another vehicle and replacing the cat fixed the misfire. We suggested he replace the cat with a muffler & test for himself. Andre signed our booking in form to: “REMOVE CAT & FIT RESONATOR FOR TESTING ONLY.”

JUST as we had explained, replacing the cat helped reduce the heat being produced but did not cure the engine misfire. ANDRE now agreed with what we had told him and signed another contract for us to “TEST MISFIRE” “I AUTHORISE THE OBVIOUS FAULT BE REPAIRED FIRST”.

ANDRE asked for a courtesy car, he read the conditions of our courtesy car contract, filled it in and signed it. We tested his vehicle and found a component had partially failed. Many TXTs went to and from Andre providing updates and prices. At Andre’s request we removed the damaged part to find the identity marks and then sent emails to all likely suppliers in NZ for new and second hand parts. WE did not find a part in NZ. More time was spent on Andre’s behalf and phone calls and emails were sent overseas. We found a part and TXT Andre options of price which included a new or a price for a second hand part imported and fitted. The price included the cost of freight from Japan.

Andre replied to our TXT “Agree to pay (the price for the second hand part) for complete repair of car” As we were not repairing the complete vehicle, we replied stating exactly what the repairs would cover.

ANDRE told us he decided not to continue with the repairs and would take his vehicle as it was. Andre was provided a price to take his vehicle as is (un-drivable) but agreed to our price for us to reassemble using the failed part of his vehicle so he could drive it home. Andre agreed to the total price, we reassembled his vehicle and Andre paid the agreed price.

OUR COURTESY CARS ARE FREE with conditions such as: replace the fuel used, if you take an excessive time to make up your mind about the repairs or do not continue with the repairs there may be a daily charge.