GE Spacemaker Microwave XL1800 — Poor quality product!
Looks like we have to buy a new microwave. I guess Lennar Homes motto "Everything's Included" includes fires. I would just like to warn the owners if you have an over-the-stove GE Spacemaker XL1800 Microwave not to leave the kitchen while you are using it. Ours was only 3 and one-half years old.
We baked a potato using the Potato Sensor Button and while my husband went out to grill a steak, I smelled something burning. When I looked in the kitchen the microwave was in flames. The interior ceiling of the microwave is totally melted away and interior wires are exposed.
We had a visit from a Warranty Technician who claims the fire was caused by a spark from the metal rack which is in the microwave. We used the Potato Sensor Button but evidently this was not the cause. He told us this was a rare occurrence yet we have been told of 3 similar fires since we posted this on our community Web Site. Maybe they should look up similar complaints on various web sites. ;
We have extended warranties on all our appliances. We got a call from the Warranty People who told us that a fire caused by the metal rack is not covered. My husband argued all ends of the spectrum with the warranty people such as "why does it have a Potato Sensor cooking feature, why is the rack in the microwave in the first place, why no warnings about this danger", etc. etc.
We will never again purchase a GE product and will warn our friends and family. This product should be recalled! I tried to contact GE but could not find an e-mail address regarding consumer complaints. I also sent a copy of this to Lennar Homes.