Educational Funding Companycan't cancel

M

I signed up my son for karate. Later, due to financial hardship, we had to cancel. I was told then that I could not cancel.
Apparently the electronic payment form I signed was actually a binding contract. This was not told to me during the singing. I thought I was singing a simple authorization to charge my credit card.
Neither the school nor the collection agency they use are willing to let me out of the contract. A binding contract, for a karate school. This is absurd. I strongly recommend not doing business with either of these institutions.

• Li
    Lisa Allen Nov 01, 2008

I also had the misfortune of signing up my grandson with Ernie Reyes' World Martial Arts in Gallatin, TN. I signed a tuition contract with the understanding that I could give 30 days notice for health or location reasons. I am still battling Educational Funding Company. My grandson moved 135 miles away with his family and I gave the school and EFC a 30 day notice with a letter from the principal of the school my grandson would be attending. This was June 2008. They have now started sending me notices for collection. Even my credit card company has refused to pay them the monthly amount as they believe I have fulfilled my end of the contract. I have filed a report with the Better Business Bureau and [redacted].com. My next step is a lawyer as this has caused me great distress and undue anquish. I have always prided myself on paying what I owe. I do not owe EFC any money. I also strongly recommend that you do not sign contracts with EFC or sign up for Ernie Reyes' World Martial Arts.

• Br
    Brent Bingham Nov 14, 2008

The Educational Funding Company is Horrible! You call their customer service number on their bill [protected] and if you don't know who you are calling you can't get through. I think they purposfully do this! It says if you want to talk to the operator say yes, but then no one answers! No one picks up. The only way to get through is to try and guess an extension and hope you talk to someone. These people need to be reported to the BBB. They said we could cancle if we got approval from the new teacher in our school. Our teacher says he has called and we are still gettting payment notices. Too bad people can't learn about this sham of a company BEFORE they sign their kids up for Karate. I would never sign my kids up with this company again. Unfortunately this company is just the billing company that schools use, they really have nothing to do with Karate -- they are just a collection agency.

• Ha
    hammr Nov 18, 2008

It sounds like you weren't listening or read what you signed. To many people try to get out of what they sign up for and it is sad that people like you blame others for getting into something you never intended to committ to in the first place.

• Yo
    YOU R THIEVES Nov 20, 2008

I have also been victimized by one of these unscrupulous McDojos. These cowardly companies misrepresented what we had signed as authorization for electronic billing and now we are stuck paying for 12 months for crap instruction.

Ann Dec 01, 2008

if you can't do month to month payment's don't sign-up because they will stick it you...

• Br
    Brent Bingham Dec 04, 2008

Karate or Tae Kwan Do Lessons Beware ! If your studio uses Educational Funding Company as its collection agency BEWARE. I have just finished my 6 month ordeal getting out of their system. This has nothing do to with affording or not affording the monthly fees. Our instructor was so bad he had to be replaced, this was in July of 08. The incoming instructor said that anyone who wanted to cancel would be able to cancel and get out of the agreement. My 2 daughters had left the studio before this new instructor was in place. I continued to pay my fees until October when I called my bank to stop payment on the Auto Deduction from my checking account. I then begin to get weekly letters from EFC saying I owe them money. I tried to call the phone number on the letterhead, [protected]. Try to call that number and see if you get through to anyone -- you CANT!. The extension you need is 218 you will talk to Audi, which I have done many times. They tell me the new instructor said we can cancel but I still owe $174.00 ( again not tons of money but this is a matter of principle now) for September and October. I told them if the new instructor came in July and said anyone can cancel in July, and my kids haven't been attending since June, why do I owe for September and October ! $174.00 is not worth ruining my credit rating. I finally called for the 3rd time talking with Audi and they said I can get out if I pay them $159.52. They said that they have a 60 day cancellation policy. If you give them 60 days then you can cancel. I have never read this policy anywhere. I doubt it is a policy and they just wanted to get any amount of money from me as they can. IF YOU WANT TO GET OUT -- USE THEIR CLAIM THAT THEY HAVE A 60 DAY CANCELLATION POLICY. That is what Audi told me -- they have a 60 day cancellation policy. You can even reference my account to use as proof that it was allowed. My old account with them was [protected]. If they used a 60 day policy on me, use it on them. If you want out, give them a 60 day notice right now, and then get out!!! Put your kids in a school where the teacher collects his own fees. PS -- I told Audi that what they were getting from my $159.52 was my time posting a complaint and telling my story online to warn other people. There you have it EFC -- what $159.52 bought you. I hope it was worth it!

Annnnnonymous Jan 22, 2009

I feel all of your pain! I used to work for one of these wonderful schools. They're a very highly ranked and esteemed school in EFC (they make a lot of money...). Continually honored and held high for stealing money on a regular basis. For those of you who are writing back to these complaints saying that they should read closely and pay more attention to what they're signing, keep that nonsense to yourself. I was in this business for many years and it is a very sketchy one.

Auto-renewals for people who's contracts didn't state it...

Year-long contracts for people who only signed up for 3 months, 6 months or 8 months...

I've seen and heard it all. Back off and understand that these complaints are both valid and completely fair.

Don't judge unless you've seen the corrupt system at work! Take it from me...I was part of it!

• Pe
    Peter Jan 30, 2009

Educational Funding Company are nothing but a front for a collection agency. The health club contract racket is obviously a very easy market to prey on as the contact obligations are extremely strict and do not allow for cancellation in any case other than death or dismemberment. This means that the organizations who get involved in clearing billing for health clubs and the like (martial arts studios in this case) are only dealing with the administration because of the highly lucrative bad debt that comes with a market rife with contract cancellation. Most people that start health club contracts have no idea they are binding; they assume they are paying $X per month when they are in fact financing a much larger dollar amount and paying monthly installments. When they stop attending and cancel their contract, they find they have a balance due on a product they purchased which they did not use. EFC are nothing but collection agency goons and any studio that uses them are implicitly involved in unseemly business practice. A reputable martial arts studio should have no need to use such tactics to defraud customers.

In my dealings with EFC I was actually laughed at by the "customer service" agent and told that they had no requirement to provide an account statement or proof that the account was even open, that it was my responsibility to prove that the account wasn't. When asked to speak to a different person I was asked not to call back and hung up on. After checking the state laws governing these types of contracts I found that they are completely within their legal rights to collect payment by whatever means they have available (they are creditors themselves so they don't have to go far to ding your credit). Not only do we need to help others by cautioning them about EFC and studios that use them, we need to write our state legislators about these contract laws that clearly favor the business and put the consumer at a huge disadvantage.

• Di
    dissatisfied customer Feb 10, 2009

I also had a no luck getting out of a contract with EFC or the school my husband was attending classes at. He was going to American Black Belt Academy in Leavenworth Kansas and was being placed in a class with children. There were other adults attending classes who were also beginners, and yet he was still being paired with children. We tried to tell the instructor that we wanted out of the class if he wasn't going to be placed with people his own age, and he informed us that if we left we would still continue to be charged. I tried to get EFC to let me out of my contract as well and they refused. I have paid $102.50 for the last 18 months and my husband only attended 4 months of classes. What a rip off. The people at EFC are rude, and not very business savvy. I also placed a complaint with the BBB and noticed many other complaints against EFC there as well.
    BUYER BEWARE! This company is extremely fraudulent and I will never use them or any of their affiliates again!

• Ge
    Geovanna Feb 11, 2009

I am currenlty in the battle with EFC. Not only with them, but with the Karate School (USA Karate and Fitness in New Jersey) which never said anything about a contract, and has actually refused my certified letters to cancel this membership. I signed up my brother and myself. My brother is autistic, and his doctor said he could not have this type of activity, and I went to 2 classes before tsarting to work in NYC. Since September of 2007 i have been paying $200.00 A MONTH!!! and they refused to cancel these memberships, and now a year later they say "it is auto-renewed with increase of 5%"!!! Are you kidding me? I've been there 3 times in the past 14 months. I am going to the BBB, but does anyone know if we could all together as a class action stop this ripoff to keep happening? I've seen so many complains about this, that i am sure if we all get together we could stop this abuse.

• Ba
    BAGS Feb 17, 2009

BEWARE BROOKLYN BRAZILLIAN JIU JITSU IS A SCAM! like everyone else I'm going threw the same bull with these thieves.I took the 2 week free trial then signed a contract wich would go into affect as of my next lesson, I also gave them a deposit of $395.00.I then got sick with the flu and never went back for another lesson.In other words the contract was never officially validated, I never started it!Now get this my dying brother is in need of a kidney and I am scheduled to donate one of mine to save his life.I told the school" Brooklyn brazillian jiu jitsu" the story they acted and boy o' boy can they put on an act i mean really ham it up when it comes to acting concerned almost to the point of tears GIVE ME A BREAK! They could care less about me or my sick brother all they care about is money and thats not being exagerated at all. they just kept insisting you signed the contract so you have to pay.THEY ARE OUT RIGHT LOW LIVES! I also spoke to someone named joseph who sounded like he just got out of prison very nasty @ educational funding co.he told me to fax him the documents from the hospital wich I did he then told me I just had to pay the remaining $395 and my contract would be cancelled.A hole I never started any contract and why did I just fax you a letter from columbia presbyterian hospital stating that I'm donating a kidney and won't be able to do any jiu jitsu for a while.THE SCHOOL BKLYN BRAZILLIAN JIU JITSU AND EDUCATIONAL FUNDING COMPANY should both be out of business and ashamed of themselves.I'm going to the bbb the media and small claims court to expose these sob's SHAME ON YOU!

J O'Neill Mar 06, 2009

I am in full aggreement with you. This problem from what I have been reading is nationwide. I think the schools should be exposed for their fruadulent and misleading contracts. I myself am in the same situation with my son. The unbelievable aspect is that the schools want absolutely nothing do with you once the contract is signed. All of your further dealings are with EFC which has nothing to do with the Karate school except collect your monthly fee. I have tried with the BBB and apparently the schools and EFC give them a bunch of bogus info. All of these contracts need to be taken a step further. I do feel that there should be some resolution and all of these schools should be exposed and these contractual agreements with EFC should be terminated. Before anyone signs up for Karate school check the contract. If the school had your child's interest in mind they would actually hire someone to collect the monthly tuition and not strap you with a contract. If the school was good you wouldn't want to leave in the first place.

fedup May 15, 2009

I had the same experience with this fraudulent and deceptive company. They have charged my credit card twice after my contract is supposed to be up. They hang up on me, transfer me, tell me to call back, etc, etc.

I notified the better business bureau and the federal trade commission on their websites which you can find by googling the respective agencies. Everyone here should do the same!

I agree that we should begin a class action law suit. I think the volume of complaints is such that our case would be overwhelming.

fedup May 15, 2009

I am willing to begin the class action if enough people respond with interest. We should also notify our congressmen.

fedup May 15, 2009

After my horrible dealings with them I would be interested in helping start a class action suit.

• Bm
    bmprice Jun 11, 2009

i am looking to cancel my contract with EFC. i just found out that the karate school my son goes to will have a two months summer break, which i was never made aware of when i signed him up. why in the hell should i pay for two months when i am getting nothing out of it. my son has to have ear surgery so i am going to go this route for the cancellation. i will also close my account and just open a new one to make sure they dont get any more of my money!

• Ef
    EFC-employee Jun 16, 2009

Educational Funding Company complies by the letter of the Student Enrollment Agreement. There are provisions for cancellation in the enrollment agreement that can be exercised. EFC services quality martial arts schools from around the world. Please provide us with your account information and we will look again at your circumstances and respond promptly.

Educational Funding Company

• Ra
    Rachel Martin Aug 02, 2009

I signed a year contract with Kick Connection in Pasadena, MD. After a few months, I fell on hard times due to the economy. My hours were cut at work, and any extra activities that I had, I was cancelling. When I called EFC, "Mini" said they would look into it. I then got a letter saying that I was not allowed to quit and they are still charging me. I have called repeatedly to find out when my contract ends, and have not gotten an answer yet. I will never, ever recommend anyone to use this company. Their customer service is awful!

• Ri
    Ripp-off Oct 05, 2009

I am in the same shoe. We moved fifty miles away from Houston, sent a cancellation notice because it's part of the small print and they denied to received it. I have a complete charge list from the AT&T and there is a proof I sent to faxes- one of them to the karate place one of them (same fax) to EFC. However a called my credit crad company to cancel the payment and also you can file a claim to your State Secretary. However I will do (Texas Secretary of Staes, Austin PO.BOX )12877) that and I will attached this page and all the proofs.

• Ri
    Ripp-off Oct 05, 2009

I also have a strong clue the EFC is an outsourced company to India, because everybody who I talked to has a strong or mild Indian accent. Of courset, they never ever will solve the costumer problems, because they are not here in the United States. And if you file a claim, they also don't care because if they go out of business they will hire a hundred of other Indians from Mumbay or Banghalor, start the new and same fraud under different name. Every Indian company I worked with before in the IT business had the phone and fax number and of course office in the US with American zip code and area number, but it doesn't mean anything. They worked physically in India.
    We have to investigate who are behind the company, because I am afraid the Educational Funding Company is not even American and we give them our credit card number and all of our information.

• Cj
    cjb03 Oct 06, 2009

DO NOT use Education Funding Company or sign a contract that involves them! My step-daughter was in a TKD school here in Michigan for a number of years. Back in August she decided to stop attending, we spoke to the Master of her school and he said that would be fine and we would not be charged as long as we faxed in our information/reason to EFC. We faxed it in on Sept. 2, 2009 and they still took out $131.25 from our checking account. After speaking with someone at the company using [protected] and getting "Mimi" on the phone, she said they received our fax on 9/10, but we would not be charged after this month. Well, October comes around and another $131.25 was just taken out of our account again. After speaking with "Mimi" again, and asking numerous times to speak with her manager (who is always conveniently busy) she kept telling me to fax a letter to the "Contract Office". I asked if I could have the direct line to the "Contract Office" but she said they have no phone number, only a fax. Hmmm...a business with no phone number?!? I am to send the same letter AGAIN to the "Contract Office" and in the meanwhile, "Mimi" will look into my account and get back to me in 24 hours. I won't hold my breath, but I will be calling her back again, and again and again.

Think long and hard before you sign a contract with a school using Education Funding Company! BEWARE.

• Fr
    Freddie Cowns Oct 21, 2009

I have to disagree with all the complaints. EFC is a professional company that only does what the school owner asks them to do. The problem lies on the charletons that call themselves martial arts instructors. We have a different philosophy at Hwang Martial Arts. We are affiliated with several organizations, Jack Hwang's IMF, USTF, ITF, Lameco Eskrima and Tran's Muay Thai Association. The martial arts is here to help the community. You move a certain distance, you are released from the agreement. Tradgedy in the family, we freeze your agreement, and cancel if things don't improve, but all the while the school supports you in your situation. If someone wants to quit because their child is over it...different situation! Maybe the parent is too lazy to take them to class...different situation...Maybe the parent has economic problems, self inflicted or otherwise, communicate with the school! The Martial Arts is a lifestyle, not an activity!

• Ih
    IhateEFC Nov 06, 2009

I started on September 27, 2009 and I opt in with the auto pay they took the money on the 20th of Oct. instead of the 27th as we agreed on. I've just attended 2 weeks (2 session a week for 109.00 + the free 2 weeks free trial. My financial circumstances change as I have to resign from my job so I can no longer afford to make the payment so I decided to cancel my membership effective Oct. 28 of 2009 and they are telling me I cannot cancel and I have to pay them. I just show up for 2 freakin' weeks and now I can't cancel what the heck! EFC has to be stop with their fraud practices.

• Ef
    EFC SUCKS Dec 01, 2009

I have a situation with the EFC as well. I became very ill during the middle of my contract. I kept on paying "thinking that i might get well soon" but my doctor wanted me to stop any physical activity for at least another 6 months. EFC said at first that I couldnt cancel my contract. Then they said i could cancel if i told them that I had a medical reason. When I did that, then they said that giving them my medical diagnoisis wasnt good enough and I needed a doctors note, so i got a my doctor to send them information and they still wont cancel my contract and have now sent me to collections for not only what I havent paid them "after i sent in my doctors note" but they also pre charged me for the remaining time on my contract. They give you the run around and keep on telling you they need more while they still continue to charge you even when you have given all they have asked for. Then once you have given everything they could possibly ask for, they send you to collections and say that it is out of their hands now and they can do nothing. THEY ARE A TOTAL RIP OFF! EVEN IF YOU GO TO A GOOD DOJO, YOUR DOJO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BILLING AND THEY WILL NOT CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT AND THEY WILL CHARGE YOU FOR THE REMAINING TIME OF YOUR CONTRACT AT ONCE AND IF YOU DONT PAY IN FULL, THEY WILL SEND YOU TO COLLECTIONS AND TELL YOU THAT THEY CAN DO NOTHING!! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING WITH THEM!!!

• Ju
    Just for Kicks Dec 01, 2009

Studio Kicks in Los Gatos, CA has also hired these low lives. My credit card company gave me a new card because they said the old number was compromised. I forgot that Studio Kicks was one of my autopay bills and forgot to give them my new number. All other autopay clients give you a friendly reminder that the card kicked back but Educational Funding company is now chasing me with all kinds of threats and pleasantries.

I will change my payments to month to month once I get this all sorted out.

• Cj
    cjb03 Dec 02, 2009

After my post, Mimi from EFC contacted me and worked to get my refund. She was very helpful and followed through with all her promises to work for a speedy refund.

• Re
    reasonable thoughts. Dec 03, 2009

Nearly all of these complaints are based on disgruntled persons attempting to intimidate. Notice the repeated pattern of complaints. If we look at them behind the scenes we may find the real reason for the posts. But, lets look at the entrance methods.
    First, the most students are screened for suitability for classes.
    Second, most are given a short trial to make sure there is a good fit.
    Third, the new client is advised during a conference explaining the payment system.
    They agree to it. It is a good deal when they agree. In most cases the client is fully informed of the program. The instructor is bound to his commitment till the end. The client feels he can come and go at his whim. The instructor gives his entire knowledge from the very first day and the client thinks it just a few minutes of sweat. The instructor passes on knowledge that can never be returned and the client walks away with knowledge that will benefit him forever. It is when the client decides that he would rather buy a new toy is when he tries to get out of his agreement. The pattern is nearly always the same. They attempt to find some loophole to jump through. When that fails they move on to threats and other methods of attempted intimidation. The above posts are all good examples of this attempt. The client will claim a move but in reality they suddenly decided not to move when their claim is verified. The client will claim a medical reason but suddenly healed when the account is canceled.

Yes there are some who have a legitimate medical need or others who actually move away. In those true cases there is no challenge. For every above complaint there are uncounted multitudes more who love the system and have no challenges.

anguish Dec 09, 2009

I am in the process of trying to cancel my contract and my problem is exactly the same as all who have posted on this site. If someone knows of a class action suit I would like to know more about it. I have a friend who was also in contract and had a hard time getting out of it but she managed to after months of suffering. I would participate in a suit based on the unnecessary stress casued by EFC's horrible customer service and business in general. They are rude and only care about maintaing the contractural agreement. They have caused me unneeded mental anguish over a contract that was not fully explained when signed. There was no notice of such a binding contract for a Karate school!!

• Aa
    aasdno1 Dec 18, 2009

Many people have slammed Educational Funding Company on this website. We own a martial art school and use this company. I have NEVER had a problem reaching an operator when I dial their main number. In addition, if you look on their website, you can see everyone's extensions. We have intervened in many of our member's cases and WE (the martial art school) have the final say over how a case is handled; not EFC. So if you want to slam someone, it should be the martial art school you signed up with.

Martial art schools are not the only ones to use agreements for tuition billing. In addition, by law according to your particular state, there are buyers rights to cancel clearly stated on the agreements. In several areas it clearly is written that the member's failure to complete training or change in their schedule does not relieve them of their duty to pay the tuition. The tuition is a lump sum that we allow members to pay over the course of 6 to 12 months in small payments. If a member moves more than 25 miles from the school (at least in CT) they are allowed to cancel the agreement. Members need to clearly read what they are signing before they sign.

Most good martial art schools will want to protect their repuation and will work something out that is mutually agreeable between them and the member in the event that someone wants to terminate an agreement. From a business perspective, we hold people to these contracts because it also teaches our young students that you finish what you start. You don't quit. You don't let a busy schedule push out healthy activity and you work on committment to yourself and your martial art instructor. You don't sign up for baseball, fully knowing you have already made a commitment to martial arts. You finish one obligation before you start another. These are important life skills. In addition, a martial art school will have only so much room in each class. We have to know who will be there and plan accordingly for staff coverage. Can you imagine a public school never knowing who may or may not be there for the month and trying to provide adequate coverage, materials and education?

The bottom line is before you enroll in a martial art school, regardless of who they use for a billing company, ask around and find out their reputation. If they have a good reputation in the community, you should not have any problems.

• Si
    Sidekicker Dec 18, 2009

Sidekick Billing offers Automatic billing services specifically designed for martial arts studios and professionals to bill their students for services on a monthly basis. Sidekick Billing is easy and inexpensive recurring billing. Sidekick Billing gives customer service that personal touch that is missing from huge billing companies. Sidekick Billing doesn't charge setup fees and other huge fees to get started, nor do you have to sign some never ending contract. They're located in Texas and have a terrific reputation, especially when it comes to customer service. I spoke with Master Rick Bell and he said he would be glad to help anyone with his service. Their number is [protected].

• Si
    Sidekicker Dec 18, 2009

Sidekick Billing offers Automatic billing services specifically designed for martial arts studios and professionals to bill their students for services on a monthly basis. Sidekick Billing is easy and inexpensive recurring billing. Sidekick Billing gives customer service that personal touch that is missing from huge billing companies. Sidekick Billing will waive any and all setup fees. I spoke to Master Rick Bell and he said he would be glad to talk to anyone about helping them with their billing. You can reach him at [protected].

• Co
    Coffeeisgood Dec 20, 2009

Just a few thoughts...

1. If you lease a vehicle, then decide you don't want to drive it anymore, you still have to make the payments. You...signed...a...contract. An easier solution is just don't sign anything you don't understand.

2. If you have a "hard" reason for canceling (moving, medical) cancellation should be immediate with zero hassle, with the understanding that you may have to provide some documentation.

3. Final thought...remember, this is how these Martial Arts teachers feed their families, so put yourself in their shoes for a minute. If someone in your profession/job/business tried to back out of paying, you'd give that some close consideration too.

melis Jan 30, 2010

This is the most unprofessional agency I have ever come in contact with. I have contacted them several times to cancel my account and was told repeatedly that it would be done. I canceled my daughter through the appropriate channels and this so called company continued to charge me until I had my bank stop the payments. This is an extremely shady company who then sent me a bill for 1, 400.00. I have called them at least 6 times in the last 3 months and still then continue to bill me. Speaking with several people who work at the company and have been promised a resolution on several occassions with a call back and never have I received a call back. I will never put my daughter in a karate school who does business with company.

BEWARE !!! They are thiefs. I am filing a complaint with the department of consumer protection and the better business bureau.

melis Jan 30, 2010

This company has an F rating with the better business bureau http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=y&compid=7522

melis Jan 30, 2010

Here is the link to file a complaint with Marylands Attorney General https://web.oag.state.md.us/editor/customer/onlineformhelpers/formviewer.aspx?filename=MUGeneral.htm

• Am
    amelia77 Feb 02, 2010

EFC has a grade of F according to the better business bureau. There are so many people who are upset with this company that just using them puts a bad light on YOUR business.

• Us
    USCONSUMER1 Mar 03, 2010

aasdno1 all the points you made are all morally sound and would be somehing a martial art teacher would tell his student when he tries to quit, probably because of the money he looses but that is not an issue. What matters is the contract that EFC enforces is a predatory one, and possibly contract of adhesion which means there is no way to get out of it besides death/dismemberment/relocation. But how about dissatisfaction with the curriculum? Lets say you sign up for Kick boxing and after a week of training kickboxing, the instructors decide to talk about its philosophy for next 6 months or start teaching chess or whatever, don't you think you should have an opportunity to get out of it because this is not what you expected?, of course with the fee of some sort?!!! look at cell phone companies, you may terminate your contract but you have to pay a fee which is reasonable and FAIR to consumers, But EFC contracts are merchant oriented and should be fought by consumers to protect our rights!!!

Christina Howard Mar 08, 2010

I went to talk to my son's Taekwondoe instructor about cancelling. He just wanted to talk us out of it. My son has a learning disability and is having a hard time with Science. I told the instructor that my son needed to focus on school more and needed to have the time open for tutoring. Not only in Science, but for Math and Reading as well. They say school is important, but won't let you quit for it. My son goes to therapy every Tues. and even his therapist says that my son needs to quit Taekwondoe to spend more time on his school work. I have read over the paper I signed and it does not say anywhere that you can't cancel. I have not taken my son in over a month and still have to pay. That is not fair!!! I went to the instructor and told him that we wanted to cancel, and it was for a GOOD reason! So, I think they should respect that and let my son concentrate on his school work so he can pass his grade!!!

• Su
    sunsail Apr 21, 2010

I agree with coffeeisgood. I love my dojo, the classes, and our Master. The only reason I asked to cancel with two months remaining on the contract is because I am 5 months pregnant and could no longer fully participate in the warm-ups and classes. I read the contract again, got a note from my doctor, and faxed it along with a cancellation request a full month before the next charge was due. Of course, they charged my card again.

When I called to get the charge reversed, they said they sent a letter (that I never received) saying that they would pull the last two months of the contract and 'put it in escrow' for when I returned. Um, where is that in the contract? With a third baby on the way, I cannot afford to have EFC tie up my funds. I called the owner of the dojo and he said he would resolve this for me. I understand that this is how our Master feeds his kids, but I need to feed my kids, too.

In good faith, I am giving the owner a week to resolve this issue. If there is no progress, I will file a complaint with the state of Maryland, my bank, my local news station, and whoever else will listen.

P.S. to commenter reasonablethoughts: If they need proof of pregnancy, I have no problem waddling my pregnant a$$ over to their headqaurters. I live only a few blocks away. There is nothing bogus or fraudulent about my claim.

• Su
    sunsail May 06, 2010

Dear EFC,

My school code is [protected]. Please reverse the charge that was placed on my Mastercard on April 22, 2010 for 155.00 and DO NOT bill my credit card again this month!!!