Dr. Barry M. ZideDeceptive business practices — fraud — medical ethics violations

R Sep 03, 2018 Review updated:

Dr. Barry M. Zide, DMD, MD, Professor of Plastic Surgery NYU is this monster's full name. Why monster, you ask? I must be exaggerating, you say. Maybe, but first let me tell you about my experience with him.

He wore a gun on his hip. He had a constable's badge proudly framed on his desk. (Why would an MD need police powers? Why would he need to wear a gun while seeing new patients?) He shouted at me for not sitting on a black, vinyl seat pad he had placed on one corner of his couch. He shouted at me when I didn't sit on the pad at first. He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call anytime with any concerns or questions. But when I called more than once he shouted at me, threatening me that if I kept calling he wouldn't help me. There were many red flags that should have warned me away from him, but I was desperate for help, and afraid.

I had an appointment with another surgeon. I called Zide for a second opinion. (The procedure was one of those that Zide claims is one of his specialties.) I had always heard that one should get a second opinion before having any procedure. I expected Zide to praise the doctor I had selected. Instead he told me the doctor's method didn't work. He talked himself up, bragged about his accomplishments and reputation, made me afraid to treat with anyone but him. I canceled the appointment with the other doctor and had my surgery with Zide. It was the worst mistake of my life.

His Informed Consent Form contained two little boxes. One read "I request the doctor explain the risks of my procedure to me, " or words to that effect. The other box read, "I waive my right to be made aware of the risks, " or words to that effect. I was told to place a check mark in one of the boxes. I checked that I wanted him to explain the risks to me, but he never did. In a space that has more in common with a small dentists office than an operating room, he took my face apart in a horrifying way. I wasn't ready for this. For anesthesia he had me take Ativan and Valium. His staff called this "Pre-med." I woke up during the procedure to a feeling of being choked and having my arms restrained. I remember Zide shouting. (The statements of a patient on Valium and Ativan will not hold up in court). He had an unlicensed, unqualified member of his staff stay with me afterward. After the surgery I returned to him and reported excruciating pain. He said it was because of the "dissection." (Isn't it cadavers you dissect and not living human beings?) He left an important part of my surgery entirely out of his operative note.

There is too much to say about this monster. Fortunately the monster has condemned himself with his own words. He published a series of articles in a medical journal called Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. In these articles he shows his true face. He talks about the "ploys" he uses to bamboozle patients into trusting him. He tells of instructing his residents (Zide is a professor of plastic surgery at NYU) to make there own "Top doctor plaques" -- fake credentials that are good for plastic surgeons to have NOT because they are true, but because patients tend to believe them. He gives instruction to the readership of the journal in step-by-step, paint-by-number style on how to use scripted language, and ploys, and outright lies, and lies by omission, and every aspect of con artistry imaginable to steal a patient's trust. The references of one of his articles is a list of the kind of cheap, low-brow salesmanship books of dirty tricks that a dishonest used-car salesmen might read. But why should I continue writing when I can let the diabolical master himself do all the talking?

The following links are to The Wayback Machine, an internet archive. The webpages you will read were originally posted on the Makemeheal.com message board website. They mysteriously went missing after a blogger accused one of the website's moderators of using a double standard -- using soft language to describe the moral outrages of Dr. Barry Zide, but harsh language to characterize a blogger's response to the outrages.

• Go
    gomer1978 Mar 18, 2019

Shocking. Clearly, Zide is the worst of the worst. But he is also just the tip of the ice berg. Plastic surgery had noble beginnings, as a way to help soldiers horribly disfigured in battle. What it has become is a trade union of con artists who think cutting up a person's body is of little consequence as giving them a haircut.

• At
    attendingMD Aug 15, 2020

@gomer1978 Dr. Zide contracts with reputation management companies that provide him with fake positive reviews. He gives them an outline of how he wants the reviews to be written and they do the rest. In some cases he even writes his own reviews.

• Na
    Natalia Winchester Apr 06, 2019

The old, corrupt italian [censored] that protected these Dr. Frankensteins as moderator on MMH needs to be prosecuted. I bet she took bribes from these doctors. I tried to report her a long time ago to the company and they ignored me. No doubt because they were in on it. Vice needs to do an expose on what happened there. She once wrote a fake post in my name when I criticized one of her favorite doctors.

• Za
    zarco Apr 28, 2019

Copy the second link. Paste it into your browser. Click enter. Scroll down to the article called "I Am an Expert for Anything You Want." Scroll to the end of the article. Notice Zide's post script: "P.S.: Thanks to Doug Roth for a great title!" Which Doug Roth is he talking about? Doug Roth of Doug Roth's Painting and Carpentry? Doug Roth of Roth's Landscaping and Pool Service? Doug Roth of Roth's Quality Pre-Owned Cars? Rather than indiscriminately looking all over the place, maybe we should begin our search where it makes the most sense to begin it. Maybe we should ask Dr. Douglass A. Roth of the CareMount Medical Group if he has any idea who Barry Zide's Doug Roth might be:

It's incredible. They're all in on it. They present a false friendly face to the public, and their true diabolical natures only to each other. They support each other. Send patients to each other. Testify in defense of each other in medical malpractice lawsuits. They are protected not only by the medical community, but by the powerful alliances they make in the academic, judicial and law enforcement communities. A comparison that comes to mind is a coven of witches, not unlike the ones depicted in horror movies like Rosemary's Baby.

Our defense is communication with each other, and bastions of free speech like this website. Many so-called doctor review websites are nothing but marketing billboards for these monsters. Negative reviews disappear, or get buried in graveyards of "reviews that are not currently recommended."

• Sl
    slpotch Jul 27, 2020

@zarco The writings that Zide authors by himself are of an entirely different character, language and subject matter than those that he co-authors. The writings that he co-authors seem reasonable and professional. The writings for which his name and his name alone appears are disturbing and creepy. To me this suggests that he does little to none of the work and writing in the case of the reasonable, professional ones, that they are entirely written by the other doctors, while the creepy ones are written by him alone.

• 32
    321uniball May 01, 2019

Pull on this thread and you unravel the whole sweater. One doc writes the how-to book on conning the public and you might have probably cause for intent to commit fraud, or something. Publish it in a medical journal where everybody sees it and nobody voices a concern, and, on the contrary, everybody likes it so much that one of them gives it a title, well, now you might have conspiracy. But it will take a lawsuit for the media to pick it up and then the whole thing will go viral.

• Jr
    jrubens May 02, 2019

Omg!!! rotflmfao!!! I just tried to go to mmh message boards and all I got was an error message!!! I cant believe mmh actually took down their message boards to protect these scumbags!!! what a riot!!! what a bunch of freaking scumbags!!!

• Bl
    blkbro293 Oct 05, 2019

Dr. Zide's page on the website Vitals.com has just gone from giving him a "bad" rating to giving him an "excellent" rating. All the negative comments have been removed and only positive comments are displayed. Here's how it used to look: https://web.archive.org/web/20190915000716/https://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Barry_Zide/reviews

• Do
    Doyle1958 Nov 10, 2019

Dr. Barry Zide advertises his services as a medical-legal expert-for-hire on a website called "Juris-pro". How many parties lost their lawsuits because of the testimony of this self-advertised pathological liar? Imagine a chief of police writing articles for a law enforcement magazine describing newer and better ways of planting evidence and beating confessions out of suspects. Imagine a Roman Catholic Bishop sending out an email, to clergy only, describing newer and better ways to charm and win the trust of parents in order to gain access to a child's bedroom. Imagine a senior partner of a powerful law firm publishing letters in lawyers journals describing newer and better ways to suborn perjury and hide exculpatory evidence. Now imagine a dentist/plastic surgeon/professor of plastic surgery publishing a series of letters in a medical journal describing newer and better ways to bamboozle patients, i.e., to commit medical fraud. The last example you don't have to imagine, because it describes everything that Dr. Barry M. Zide stands for.Psychopathic con artists may be found in every profession, in every social class. and in every walk of life. It is no shock then to find one practicing dentistry and plastic surgery. What is shocking is the lack of response from the New York City establishment. Even now, with the infamous writings having let the cat totally out of the bag, the establishment continues to support, promote and protect this deranged predator. New York University continues to employ him as a professor of plastic surgery, Langone Medical Center keeps him on staff, using their hospital website to peddle his crackpot surgeries, and New York City continues to appoint him as a constable and grant him a license to carry a firearm. I believe Zide has managed to fly under the radar because he is a member of a powerful profession. I am also optimistic that, as the case of Jeffrey Epstein shows, there comes a time when even the most powerful are made to answer for their misdeeds.

• Hm
    h.millescollins Mar 08, 2020

It appears that Dr. Zide has given up his private practice and taken refuge inside the walls of his hospital affiliation. His private practice used to be located at 420 E. 55th Street. His new address, 222 East 41st Street, is part of the NYU Langone hospital complex. He also appears to have given up the websites www.chinsurgery.com, www.giantnevus.com or www.hemangioma.com. We should ask him if this means he has given up the associated titles of chin expert, giant nevus expert and hemangioma expert as well.

• Mh
    mhapgood Jun 28, 2020

So, you've scheduled a first consult with "the expert"? Before you schedule your surgery, here are some questions to ask him:

Are you still a New York City constable, do you still carry a gun, and do you still wear the gun in your office? If as your many positive reviews would lead us to believe you are so beloved by your patients, what would make you want to wear a gun in your office, while seeing patients?

Brandon Su, one of your "ticked off" patients, left negative reviews on some of the big name reviews websites. You responded to his comment. So, tell me, Dr. Zide, If, according to you, you told Brandon Su his scar could not be removed without distortion, why is he so angry? If, according to Su, another doctor was able to fix not only the original scar but the complication you added, doesn't this make nonsense of all your talk about "distortion"?

The mother of a child you operated on was so traumatized by the unprofessional treatment her son received with you and several of your colleagues, she wrote a book about it. Would you mind answering a few questions about certain statements made about you in that book?

On page 155 of “Living Scared” Linda Allone writes that you “used crazy glue inside [her son’s] brain.” Later “Dr. Rosiello” says “we removed that.” Is this true? If so, why did you use Crazy Glue near a person’s brain?

Certain of your published professional writings have become somewhat famous for their unusual character. Would you mind answering a few questions about those writings?

In "What You Can Do Is Not What They Want" your references are 1) "Secrets of Power Persuasion, " 2) "How To Become A Rainmaker, " 3) "How To Close Every Sale." Why is it not unethical for doctors to use the ideas in these books on the public?

You write "If the technique is something I know I can do, I say, 'I can do that very expertly—no problem, ...'" Do you mean that as long as you feel able to do a surgery you are comfortable exaggerating your level of expertise in that surgery?

In "Consensus Is the Negation of Leadership" you write "...the patient even complained about my sofa cushion." Is this the black, vinyl seat pad people had to sit on because you did not want their backsides coming into direct contact with your sofa?

In "Consensus Is the Negation of Leadership" you write "I love what I do. I am not going to stop, ..." What exactly is it that you do and what is it that you love about it?

In "Tales of Greed" you write of doctors who are "con artists" and "sociopaths" and "bad apples who make us all look like “whores.”' Could you please name these doctors so the public can avoid them?

In "I Am Not Alone" you ask "...should I start going to the Emergency Department again? Should I call people who refer others to me and ask them to think of me more?" Why does a "brilliant" surgeon need to scrounge for work to make ends meet?

With your writings indicating that you use manipulation, lies and deception (and encourage other doctors to do the same) why should people believe your glowing testimonials, or the large claims you make about yourself?

What do you say to those who believe that if a doctor is a truly good doctor he doesn't need to plot and scheme and lie and cheat to earn his living, that his honest reputation is enough to bring him patients?

How do you know Lucille Iacovelli "had a huge body-image disorder" and made "'morphed' post-operative ghoulish pictures"? How do you know the "residents" were "fine" and that the procedure "went well"? Were you present? Did you even meet Lucille?

You write "Most patients believe these plaques, and because I know it is all about perception, let them perceive you as special." Do you mean that where patient traffic is concerned, in a contest between truth and lies, lies must always win?

By what sort of magic does the phrase "petty, nebulous presentation of data" when applied to a lie (about pre- and post-operative pictures and HIPAA) diminish the wrongness of the lie?

In "Why My Practice Is So Relaxing" a mother asks you to fudge a claim. You write "Physicians can never be expected to defraud anyone." Why is it that you have no trouble identifying insurance fraud, but not the fraud in your deceptive business practices?

In "I Am Not Alone" you write "...I had time--lots of it. My decision to operate may be more impulsive right now." Do you mean that when business is bad your decision to operate is made by placing your own interests before the interests of patients?

In "Four Patients You Love To Hate" you write "Believe me, it's no picnic seeing my bad results every week." Does this mean you get bad results every week, or that the victims of your bad results return to you weekly?

If you "believe...that the whole 'best' approach is a scam" why do you "tell [your] residents to have a plaque made for themselves no matter where they go"?

In "I Am An Expert For Anything You Want" you write "P.S.: Thanks to Doug Roth for a great title!" Who is Doug Roth?

• Ta
    tamron1978 Jul 13, 2020

@mhapgood "On page 85 of “Living Scared” Linda Allone writes that you told her it took you only one year to go from dentist to plastic surgeon, and that you did it for the money. It takes longer to go from tailor’s apprentice to full fledged tailor. Do dentistry and plastic surgery have so much in common that it takes only 12 months to go from one to the other?" Barry Zide got both his DMD and his MD from the same school. In other words he applied from the inside. This is not good. It means nobody took a fresh look at him when considering his application. It means politics was factor in his acceptance.

• Th
    theworstmistakeofmylife Aug 10, 2020

Extremely rude and dismissive. I had concerns that were not addressed. Monstrous bedside manner. Gave me an extra long scar on the side of my face claiming that it would mimic the smile line of the other side. This was utter insanity and probably just his way of making an excuse for his poor judgment and poor skills. The chin implant I received from him continues to hurt to this day. He was unprofessional and started injecting things into my mouth and gums in the waiting room even before the anesthesia took effect. When I expressed second thoughts about going forward with a second “brush up” surgery that he wanted to do, he cussed me out on the phone, even using vulgar language. He yelled at me and pressured me to follow through with the second surgery. He tried to threaten me. He said that if I postponed the surgery he would never let me be his patient again, that even if I changed my mind he wouldn’t take me back. It is clear that he was upset because I was spoiling his plan to collect two surgery fees from me instead of just one. Never in my life have I encountered someone so unsympathetic, so self-absorbed, so evil, and in the medical field of all places. Trusting him is one of the worst mistakes I’ve ever made. Don’t go to him, or you will be sorry. Or if you do make sure to bring a tape recorder.