Zenni Optical / Bad Service/Poor Quality Product

1 27 Sunny Oaks DRSan Rafael, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18002112105

I ordered a pair of glasses which took almost three weeks to receive. I paid for the high index lenses (the thinnest as I have a moderate prescription). The frames are nearly the same size as my current frames. However, the lenses are almost 1/4 inch thick on the edges. They not only took my money, they gave me the cheap & thick lenses. Then, after contacting them they informed me:

"We would like to tell you that all of our lenses are polished and beveled. Concerning your case, you are authorized to return the glasses for inspection by Zenni Optical. The return address is: Zenni Optical, 27 Sunny Oaks Drive, San Rafael, California 94903.

Please return the glasses (the complete frame and lens) in their case, along with a copy of the original prescription as well as the PD (pupillary distance). It would be helpful if you would also include a note as to the nature of the difficulty you're experiencing with them. When we have received the glasses, we will evaluate and inform you the findings by email."

So, they in effect told me I not only have to PAY to ship them back, that I am only worth an "inspection" to see if I deserve what I paid almost $110 for. Then, to finish they will EMAIL me their "findings". I am left wondering if they would actually charge me for return shipping to get my glasses back. I won't wear them. The unfinished edges allow a magnifying glass effect and catches the light/sun.

As for my other glasses, I bought them at another online retailer and they are same size and the glass edge is PAPER THIN. The wall street journal review was right. Go search elsewhere, they are a scam.

Comments

• Su
      26th of Feb, 2010

Yes, I purchased a pair of frames from Zenni too, and they fell apart in a few months. They also caused my lenses to crack. Fortunately the lens manufacturer replaced the lenses under warranty, even though it was the frames that caused them to crack. Unfortunately, you can't scrimp on frames, is the lesson I learned.

• Op
      8th of May, 2010

Same case here, I ordered 1.72 index and ended up getting lenses that are the same size and thickness as my current glasses (which are definitely not 1.72 index). They do scam, and unfortunately, though there glasses are shipped from California, they are made in China. Beware of business doing from businesses in China; I have family from there, they'd know.

-Best of luck

• Op
      8th of May, 2010

If you have any issues submit a complaint on (https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en#last).

The more complaints submitted, the better for everyone. The bureau will be able to do more if more people submit complaints.

Don't let dishonest business continue in the U.S., they should be corrected or otherwise don't deserve a place here.

• Je
      17th of May, 2010

I just bought prescription glasses with a titanium frame from Zenni Optical for 24.00 plus 5.00 for shipping, thats a whole lot better than the 300-400 that Lens Crafters wants. I am really happy with the quality of the glasses and I will be using the money I saved to help pay for my son's daycare. If you have a whole lot of money to spend then go ahead and throw it away at Lens Crafters but if your on a budget like me then make a wise choice. I have a -2.00 prescription and the glasses I received we great, I am not sure if the higher prescriptions have any problems. I hope this helps anyone trying to find decent glasses on a budget.

Jeff Burbank, CA

• Mi
      13th of Oct, 2010

Looks like this customer didn't give them opportunity to correct the problem. I got a rimless frame from Zenni that fell apart immediately. It seems one of the screws was not holding. I contacted them and they immediately sent me replacement screws and a small tool for repair.

This did not solve the problem, I informed them, and they sent me a complete new frame, from which I was able to replace the faulty components.

Certainly there was some inconvenience, but things don't always go perfectly, and Zenni did make things right. They can only do so, if given the opportunity, however.

Mike, Los Angeles