WildBlue Communications, Inc. / Advertised service not provided!

United States Review updated:
I have had Wildblue service since about March 2006. It was great for 3 months but then curiously began to lag. It is now FREQUENTLY slower than my dialup in the afternoons, if I even get a signal at all. I get reasonable connections in the wee hours--go figure, everyone else is sleeping. My opinion is that they have oversold service on the beam that I am on, which serves one of their most--if not THE most--populous service areas.

If you can tolerate the uneven level of service, fair number of outages, and it's your only other choice besides dialup, well... just be aware of what you're in for. Possibly new customers will see better service if you sign up after March 2007 when their new satellite is put into service. Us existing customers are SOL since their apparently is no plan to move us over to the new satellite to cut down on congestion.

As far as customer service, I've called several times. Never had too long a wait to get to a tech, techs are always friendly, but they don't appear to have a lot of knowledge or tools at their disposal for helping customers. They have never provided me with a good (or honest) explanation about why my connection speeds vary so dramatically throughout the day.

Even though my employer reimburses me for my monthly Wildblue charges, I am still considering NOT renewing my contract when it is up in a few weeks. It's just too damn frustrating to deal with. At least dialup is consistent.

A  8th of Jul, 2007 by
I have to STRONGLY agree with what I see posted here! There is nothing but dial-up in my area so when I heard WildBlue could give me DSL I jumped on it !!

WHAT A WRONG MOVE!!! I have not even had it a month yet, and it flat don't work !!!

It worked about 3 days, then went to screwing up if on more than 3 hours. now it doesn't work at all!!! I have called support twice and while they seem nice, all they can do is tell me to unplug it & try again, reboot my computer, run a new virus scan, and crap like that.

Then they tell me they will report it and I should hear in 24 business hours . DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!!! They never call, service only gets worse, and now I can NOT get on at all!!! Thank god I still had my dial-up service that I am on NOW or I could not be here at all!!!

I have not had them long enough to get the first credit card bill, but I am going to call Visa and tell them not to pay!!! This is crazy!! I sure won't pay for service I can NOT have !!!

Damn, I had to buy a router and a wireless thing for my computer that they don't provide and then find out they can't give the service they were supposed to provide!!

N  7th of Jan, 2008 by
I agree with all the complaints i see here concerning Wildblue.
My speed does not even match the lower package that they offer and i am on the medium package. My big complaint is that they want to charge me for someone to come and bring me up to the speed that i am paying for. Its like saying we are screwing you each month by not suppling you with what we sold you now let us stick it to you some more by having someone come out and fix that.. I would rather have dial-up.

A  10th of Jan, 2008 by
I strongly agree with all the complaints against WildBlue. They claimed (and still do) "lightning fast connections, always on, no more delays" and living in an area where DSL is not available the salesperson really sold me on the package. Paid $289 for equipment and 23 days later my installer showed up. From day one I have never, ever experienced fast internet. I was told if I upgraded to the pro package that would solve the speed problem. It proved to be slightly faster than our old dial-up. One-third of the time we could not even connect. It became a joke that a butterfly must have landed on the dish. I would call and be put on hold for so long I would give up. I would voice a complaint and be put on hold. I actually waited on hold for one hour and twenty minutes once. We simply quit using internet as much as we used to. After many, many phone calls and complaints and six months later, the system went totally down. Called service and was told that they would schedule a servicecall for us at a cost of $95.00 and perhaps they could get there in three weeks. That was it....I called and informed their retention department that I was cancelling and of course they said absolutely not, you have a contract and you must pay the remainder months. I am trying to warn others....stay away from this company. They do NOT care about service after the sale !
A  10th of Mar, 2008 by
I agree with all complaints they are terrible, the tech reps are not knowledgable at all. now with this google change over for email I can not send or receive email since feb. 22 and I got no answer to the multiple emails I sent, I'm dumping them NOW
A  11th of Mar, 2008 by
I highly agree. Their service was actually pretty good for the first 10 months, then began to lag significantly. My 1 gig service at times was running at only 70 kpbs. I also found that my power receptacle on the modem was loose, only to find that a 'service call' was required in order to get my wararnty service. Oh yeah, did I mention that a 'service call' costs $100? What a ripoff. Alltel is now offering 3G via cell towers, and I am switching to that in 2 months.
A  4th of Apr, 2008 by
I have been paying WildBlue for 7 months now and have had connectivity for maybe 10-12 hours TOTAL. I have never been treated so rudely by "customer service", ever! I have been hung up on 33 times and have spent more time on hold then I have on the internet. I am going to take a different route, I am going to continue to pay them and continue to copy my chats and phone calls and when I cancel my contract at the end of our year agreement. I am going to sue WildBlue and will get every dime back from installation to monthly payments. Once I am done collecting that I am going to add hours I've spent trying to amicably work this out with WildBlue and charge them MY rate, which I assure you will stagger their puney little pathetic minds! Please everyone take the time to report them to the better business burea and tell everyone you know that WildBlue is nothing more than a scam.
N  23rd of Jul, 2010 by
WildBlue is no longer reg with BBB. They have a grade letter of D to where Hughes Net has a grade letter of A+. If anyone could find a way of getting out of the contract without paying a high price, please let me know.