Wal - Mart - Weed Eater Wlt24 / Battery won't take a charge

United States Review updated:
3.75
Had the weedeater for a short period of time and the battery won't take a charge now. There are no websites to go to that you can even order replacement parts!

Comments

De
  20th of May, 2008
Exact same thing happened to me. Called company, but they were no help.
Ba
  21st of May, 2008
The same weedeater is sold under the American Gardener and Craftsman brands. The Craftsman model number is 240.74805 and Sears Parts Direct sells the two 12V batteries as a set for about $36. The part number is 300022.
An
  6th of Jun, 2008
I bought the same model last Fall and I live in Maine so I used it very little before the snow started falling. I got it back out a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine until 2 days ago . I tried to use it today and it's dead. It won't take a charge at all. I just spoke to the company (800)637-2867 and was told to plug in the charger for an hour and if it was not warm to the touch after that time that the charger is either faulty or the battery needs resetting. I told her that I was not accepting anything less than a new charger or a total refund. I am hoping for the refund so I can buy a different model.
De
  11th of Jun, 2008
Found the problem! I too had a relatively new WeedEater WLT24 that suddenly refused to take a charge. I took the product apart and--using a circuit tester--finally found what was wrong.

The trimmer--made in China--uses a charging unit (the part that affixes to the wall) containing a female plug attached to a cord leading to a transformer (the part that plugs into a wall outlet). The plug is held in place within the charging unit by a screw and washer, BUT THE WASHER IS TOO SMALL!

The too-small washer allows the plug to be pushed back in the charging unit until there is no long an electrical contact between the charger and the batteries within the trimmer. The fix is simple--install a larger washer.
To
  29th of Jun, 2008
My mother in law just got one of these weedeaters and it didn`t work, She finally took it back and got a replacement.
Same thing. I checked the battery plugins and they are all tight. I am charging it now, and if it is not going good by tomorrow, I `ll suggest she take it back and ask for a full refund, and come by this site and see she is not alone.
Da
  13th of Jul, 2008
Had mine a year, won't charge. Charger shows red light indicating that it's charging but batteries life is basically less than one season. Bummer!!!
Ri
  18th of Jul, 2008
I TOO BOUGHT A WLT24 IN APRIL. IT CHARGED JUST FINE
AND USED IT TILL JUNE. THEN WHEN I TRIED TO RECHARGE
IT NOTHING HAPPENED. THE GREEN LIGHT CAME ON LIKE
IT WAS ALREADY CHARGED. IT HAS A 2 YEAR WARANTY
BUT I DONT KNOW WHO TO TAKE IT TO THAT WOULD HONOR THE WARANTY.
Ri
  22nd of Jul, 2008
found the problem was the male in the weedeater itself was
somehow pushed back in. so the female in the wall unit was
not making contact.
solution.
i put an inch wire in the female plug to make contact with the male. and it works it now charges just fine.
Ba
  25th of Jul, 2008
I've had the same problem with our re-chargeable battery Weed-Eater, but I'll try the suggestions noted above. It's great to have fix-it ideas from folks with some technical know-how . . . otherwise I'd be throwing this thing in the trash. (Can't seem to find a fix-it person for this.) Another problem with this model: re-placement of line not the easiest/most convenient chore!

Thanks!
Ra
  31st of Aug, 2008
this weed eater is made by heres a link to them
wlt24 is what they sell to walmart as theyre own
parts can be found here
or call 800-637-2867 parts is 008442120
ys24 and wlt24 are same product just different colors

i have ys24 & am very happy with it. its worked for 4 years now
one of the batterys died this year i will be ordering a replacement
i understand if your not handy the frustration you may feel but this item is very simple to work on & fix

my $.02
Wa
  2nd of Sep, 2008
I too am experiencing charging problems with the Weedeater WLT24. This may be too late, but I just discovered on page 10 of their instruction manual, under "storage", it recommends that you not leave the unit for long periods uncharged. It says "in no circumstances should the unit be left off charge for more than three months". Looking back, this is the first year that I unplugged the charging unit for the winter. Another problem I've experienced with this unit is the fact that the handle is secured with only four 3/8" x #6 screws which is not enough to bear the weight of this unit. This can be fixed with longer screws. I will pursue some of the comments to try to salvage my batteries.
Om
  1st of Nov, 2008
I have a weed eater WLT24, no charging problems, as a matter of fact I like it so much, the 2 batteries last so long and they take up charge without any issues, difficulties came up with replacement spool, they're kind of hard to find, I tried to purchase them from gardnerinc and they told me it was no longer available, they referred to me thorugh originalpower, and the same. I've recently found this other site http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/order_now.htm#agSpool
also on craftsman site at this link http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07185685000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Handheld+Power&sName=Attachments%2C+Parts+%26+Accessories
I hope it'll be useful for all of you.
Rl
  17th of May, 2009
I have a weedeater wlt24, purchased at walmart 3 years ago, and it has always worked fine. This season it worked fine for a couple of trims but then started getting weak like it needed a charge. when i plug it into the charger it would show the green light like it was charged but was completely dead. when i took it apart to see how hard/easy it would be to replace the batterries, i saw one of he batteries negative connection had disconnected. i reconnected it and plugged in the charger and have a red light, indicating it is charging. not sure, but believe this has solved my dead battery problem.
Ci
  6th of Jul, 2009
Regarding those who have problems where the battery doesn't seem to take a charge & the green light is on in the power supply unit, I had this same problem. I tried everything. Power supply was putting out proper voltage, the fuse was good, etc. Finally I discovered that one of the wires going to the motor inside the trimmer head was disconnected due to a bad solder joint. I re-soldered the wires & now everything works just fine. A word of caution though, taking the unit apart to get to the wires, then re-assembling it is a bit of a challenge. Also make sure the wires are properly insulated & won't touch any other metal parts.
Wr
  1st of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I've had my wlt24 for about 4 years now and it worked fine for the first 3 years, but will not take a charge now. The Charger light shows red all the time and gets warm but the unit just barely runs. Real slow, not enough to cut any grass. I would like to order new batteries but don't know who to contact,
Ga
  8th of Sep, 2009
I have the weed eater wlt24, , , I have not had any problem with it charging but the end cap that holds the cutting sting is cracked beyond use, , and will not hold the cutting string in place to weed eat anything, , I checked back at Wal-Mart for a replacement cap and they are not selling it anymore nor do they have any string mount or cap parts, , , hum, , , the device has worked fine and charged well but the cap is cracked and broken, , , need a cap and possibly the whole string mounting system as it just made sense that it would all come together, , it sure did not last very long at all, , I would say that is the weakest part on it is the end cap string housing piece, , , where can I get one, , Max's engine repair, here tried to find a way to order one, but no luck there either so I am searching this website as the 800 540 5688 number instructs one to do, , , , , please advise.just need the cap really but the whole string housing and cap would be great and I do feel since I have only used the device a very few times that the company should really send me othe whole cap and housing at no charge, , , it is a very thin cap and cracked out all the way around it, making it impossible to mount the string housing to it at all, , , .and I do need to weed eat and edge around here badly..thank you
Pa
  12th of Sep, 2009
i need to replace the battery charger the part that connected to weed eater broke off where can i find this charger, i tried everything and i cannot get any help at garnerinc.com as the site is for dealers
Pa
  12th of Sep, 2009
where can i find a charger for the weed eater if anyone has one and dont need contact me please
Mi
  3rd of Feb, 2010
I also am in search of a new battery charger for this weed eater...
Ru
  22nd of Feb, 2010
I have the WLT24 and I have had no problems in charging. The problem I have is finding a replacement spring&line spool. The plastic bottom on the spool has worn away from bumping the ground to advance the line and now I need a spring and spool but I can't find one anywhere. Wal-mart dosn't have replacement parts for that model and it seems no one on the web has them either. can anyone help me find what I'm looking for?? is there some other model or brand that the parts are the same and will fit my weed eater?? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP...THANKS.