Wal - Mart Tire / Lube Express / They broke my car!

I brought my 1988 Honda Accord into the Seaford, DE Wal-Mart for an oil change. At the time my car was presented to them, it had no oil leaks. I didn’t notice anything when I got back in the car after it was serviced, but I really wasn’t looking either. I got home, parked my car and came out an hour or two later to run some errands and there was a huge pool of oil underneath the car. The oil was so low at this point, it didn’t register on the dipstick.

I called Wal-Mart to complain and was put on hold until the money I put into the payphone ran out. I couldn’t go to Wal-Mart to complain because I couldn’t drive the car in this condition, for fear I would damage the engine.

I had the car taken to a local shop where they told me that the threads on the drain plug for the oil were so badly stripped, that it appeared the Tire and Lube Tech at Wal-Mart had used an IMPACT WRENCH to tighten it! It cosed me $500, three trips to the garage to have this repaired correctly.

When I finally got a hold of Wal-Mart, they passed me on to their insurance company, whom I gave 2 statements to and all relevant paperwork, names and phone numbers of mechanics who repaired Wal-Mart’s negligence.

Afterwards, Wal-Mart’s insurance called me while I was at work, despite the fact that I gave them ALL OF THE INFORMATION THAT THEY NEEDED. I was working 12 hour shifts, six days a week, at the time. When I did have the opportunity to call them back, no one was ever at their desk. I sent them snail mail letters letting them know my availability and asking them what additional information that they need, yet they never replied. The worst part is that they only contacted me 2 or 3 times by phone and they would not leave me detailed voice mail messages to let me know what they wanted – only a name and a phone number.

Finally, I contacted the Delaware Attorney General regarding the matter. The Attorney General completely blew me off, saying basically I got what was coming to me because I didn’t call Wal-Mart’s insurance company back IMMEDIATELY the couple of times they called me at work. Well, I’m sorry, but I work in a factory that employs 700 people. I cannot leave the floor to make phone calls to Wal-Mart’s insurance company.

This situation has infuriated me and I can’t get any justice. I never even got the cost of the oil change back!

Da

Comments

• Mi
      10th of Feb, 2007

I took our 2001 honda crv to the wal-mart super store to have the tires rotated and oil an d filter changed.They told me that they could not get the filter off,that i needed to take to a garage.I took it to the Honda dealer.After three hours they had it fixed.They said the filter had been cross threaded.I took the paper work to wal-mart they paid the bill.Thursday my 1992 toyota had the oil and filter changed,on the way home smoke came from under the hood.they had left off the oil cap.I went and bought a new one and a quart of oil.I took the paper work to walmart they paid me for the parts.they still have not rotated the tires.It sure have been a hard week trying to get my oil changed.I have a 2007 camry that i am afraid to let them change the oil in it again.in the past they have stripped to oil plugs for me.i like shopping at wal-mart but not much fun shopping when your car is being destroyed.

• Ti
      9th of Mar, 2007

Dont feel bad guys I have had two cars damaged by walmarts TLE from 12/31/06 is when the first one was damaged and now I have one damaged on 02/27/07 and i am pissed, but i have a lawyer and I am also going to go to the local news if they dont fix it cause my motor is shot now.

• Tl
      18th of Apr, 2007

I am mike, i will not say which tire and lube express i work at but it is here in IOWA. I have been with walmart for almost a year. I agree on how walmart needs to watch who they hire but we are all fully trained technicians and also to the guy who says your drain plug was tightened with an IMPACT WRENCH? There is no way possible. We dont have impacts anywhere near the oil bays. And im sorry but the shop screwed you! $500.00 for a drain plug and a new drain pan? Wow i bet your proud now!!!

• Li
      23rd of Apr, 2007

I too work at a Walmart TLE in Indiana, and I will also say that they need to watch who they hire. Our major problem with a few of our techs is leaving oil caps off.

And to the guy who had to pay $500 for a new pan: At my Walmart, we torgue all of the drain plugs to the proper specs and follow the book to a tee. Also, this is one thing that pisses me off, we get customers all the time who already have something wrong with there car, and they bring it in and let us work on it, then they complain and say that we did it. More often than not, they get what they want, whether or not it is walmarts fault.

• Da
      1st of Sep, 2007

I purchased a set of tires from Wal-Mart and paid for the lifetime road hazard coverage. When they put the tires on, they broke off two of the lug nut stems and told me there was nothing they could do about it. So today, I got a flat tire and took it there to have it repaired. THEY REFUSED to even touch the tire, because of the broken stems that THEY BROKE!!! They informed me the car was "unsafe to drive" and to "take it to a mechanic right away". I drive over 50 miles a day and had done so for months with no problems... my problem is the flat tire!!! I just wanted them to repair the tire that I had road hazard coverage on. Of course, the manager was gone for the day and the mechanic who deemed the car untouchable was "on break".

I smell a scam here - THEY caused damage that would make it to where in the future they would not have to honor the Road Hazard coverage, which of course is non-refundable. Im stuck with 2 missing lug nut stems, and a flat tire that I will now have to pay to have repaired, when it should be covered. The gum chomping dolts could have cared less.

Its a shame that they know that they can treat their customers like crap, and people will keep coming back for the Super Low Prices.

• Be
      19th of Sep, 2007

Hey I'm not going to buy nothing anymore at walmart, I was thinking about tires or oil change but not now.. they can go to blazes. I'm going to a reputable tire dealer not a china made walmart store and there use to be claim American made has been shot to hell...where are the good ole Walmart family who started this Co...the don't exist anymore. People just stop shopping all together at Walmart. I am period. The quality of what they have sucks because most of it is coming from China.

• Iw
      8th of Oct, 2007

500 bucks for an oil pan+ drain plug... If they broke your studs you need to get them fixed and return with the bill so you can be refunded, walmart tle is a great place, you just have to stop trying to blame all of your cars problems on them!

• Y
      11th of Oct, 2007

I just got an oil change on my car today, but when I got it back they told me that the dipstick was broke.... it wasn't broke before! Why wont they just tell me the truth and say they broke it. It was fine before they touched it, now I have to go out of my way to get some new dipstick. The truth is they lied and I know my dipstick wasn't broke before.

11th of Nov, 2007

My car was taken to Wal-Mart for an oil change. They said they topped off all fluids and I noticed a week later the car was running funny and that same night I noticed it my transmission went out. I checked the fluid level and it was bone dry. I checked at home and at work and there were no leaks anywhere. I put in 2 and half quarts to get it full but that did not do anything. So it's obvious that Wal-Mart did not check and fill all my fluids and I blame them for my transmission going out because when they say they check and top off the fluids I take their word for it. I have not contacted them as this just happened on a weekend but I will for sure call them tomorrow. If anyone has any advice or if I'll need a lawyer please e-mail me.

• Ne
      14th of Nov, 2007

Wal-mart, Texaco, and Jiffy Lube. Why would you go there? It's cheaper than the dealership. Why do these things happen, because the employee's get paid less than the people working a MacDonald's across the street. Now there are some good quick lube shops, and some bad ones. If you really want to risk your 2007 Camry, for $10, 4 times a year (and that's if you actually change it every 3000 like you are recommended) then go ahead. If it was me I'd pay the extra cash.

p.s. $500 for a drain pan, plug, removal/installation, labor, is not that bad at a shop, especially if the exhaust is in the way. But you shouldn't have had to pay anything... they have a tool called a re threader, that will (yes, you guessed it) re-thread your oil pan. It takes 5 minutes and is a hassle free solution.

14th of Nov, 2007

Does that make it right that they don't do their job and my transmission goes out because of it?

17th of Nov, 2007

I work at a wal-mart tire lube express and all our techs have had previous experience with cars a lot of people try to get over on wal-mart like a man coming calling back a month later and saying his trans went out well it is not our fault that you ant smart enough to check your fluids once a month even top mechanics check there fluids once a month and the person had towed a trailer with the sue and called back with three or four different story's most of us do our jobs right but the few who don't give us a bad name and people who want something for nothing but i do agree that wal-mart needs to watch who they hire.

25th of Nov, 2007

Well I had my car checked over and my transmission was NOT leaking. With that being said how would I be 2 1/2 quarts low on Transmission fluid if Wal-Mart checked it 6 days ago? I guess cars usually go through that much in a weeks time. I had a friend who had her tires rotated and they must not have tightened out the lugnuts and her tire fell off. What did WM do? Not a thing of course.

5th of Dec, 2007

I too work at Wal-Mart TLE. I have found that maybe 50% of the customer complaints are on the up and up however you would be amazed at how many people have found that they can come into wal-mart pitch a B!@#ch and get they car fixed or something replaced on it that wasn't even there when they came in. I blame a lot of this on management and some on techs. We have to be a little bit more particular on the cars we are excepting and management needs to be a little tighter on the purse strings and not so easy to make every single complaint a claim. We had one manager that filed every single complaint as a claim we had a customer to come in stating that we broke her axel when all she came in for was an oil change and we have full lifts how in the wolrd is that even possible. I have seen mistakes happen in the shop but most of them are do to customers coming in the bay pressed for time trying to get their cars rushed in and out. All TLE centers should be walled off from the customers the window is good but customers don't need to be in the bay it is a great distraction and yes if you pull up and theres a line when you get there sorry but there will be waiting.

• Th
      13th of Dec, 2007

I work at a TLE in NC, i see complaints all day about drain plugs and tires that can't be repaired and so on and so forth. I agree that walmart should definetly pay attention to who the hire because most of the people have not had any training what so ever. On the other hand if trained properly they can expereince the knowledge to be a good technician. We as walmart associates do not cause damage on purpose. I personally have claims on myself for simple things like a broken wheel cover and even a drain plug, but any honest shop will tell you things happen that can't be avoided. I am ASE certefied and have worked with high end european cars before i got my job at walmart, the only reason i work there is becuase they have insurance and its closer to home for me so that i can attend college. Most of the claims that walmart has they pay for becuase it was a problem that was caused by a walmart tech, others are things that weren't done at walmart, such as the gentleman that his wheel studs broke. The problem was not walmarts becuase they simply put tires on the car, they didn't take them off and put them back on and then back off again so that the wheel studs were broken. People have to realize also that we as techs have certain procedures that we have to go by and if not we could lose our jobs. I believe that walmart is a good place to take you car becuase 90% of the techs actually care about there jobs, i personnaly treat every car as if i was taken the customers life into my hands.

• Se
      14th of Dec, 2007

As a Wal-Mart TLE service manager I can tell you that in my store we take full responsibility for our actions. Tire complaints from us not replacing tires at a prorated price when the reason for tire damage is poor vehicle care is not our fault. Vehicles that come in with existing oil leaks again not the fault of Wal-Mart. Things like the threads in an oil pan stripping out are going to happen over time weather you have the vehicle serviced at Wal-Mart or elsewhere. In my shop the polices and procedures are followed to the letter because I want my customers to keep coming back. On the rare occasion that I have an unhappy customer I do everything in my power to make sure whatever the situation is that it is resolved before the customer leaves. Say what you will but I have full confidence in my staff and gladly bring all my vehicles there for service.

17th of Jan, 2008

I know I will not take my car to Wal-Mart after my situation I had with them. It may not happen at all stores but I believe I had a legitimate complaint and nothing was done. A friend also had another issue with Wal-Mart therefore they do not go there either and we pretty much do not recommend Wal-Mart to anyone. Word gets around and when one customer has a bad experience Wal-Mart not only looses one customer but they can lose several. Of course this can and probably does happen to other businesses also.

24th of Feb, 2008

If Wal*Mart broke two of your wheel studs it's your fault for not getting it replaced and making them pay for it. Why would you just drive around like that (which is extremely unsafe) and then get pissed when they won't fix your tire?

I had a customer at the TLE I work at go 5,000 miles after an oil change and then his engine blew. He blamed us because his mechanic said the oil filter was double gasketed. Never mind all the oil that had obviously been leaking out of his valve covers all over the side of the engine. I listened to his parents (while he stood there like an ###) argue with my managers for months about this engine Wal*Mart "owed" them.

I get people who cuss and yell at me when I won't plug a smooth bald tire for them. Apparently Wal*Mart customers all believe that they are the only person in the world that know about TLE too. They treat me like I am absolutely ###ed for telling them an oil change will take 2 hours "How can it take you 2 hours to change my oil and filter?" Well, maybe you're not the only goddamn person that wanted an oil change at walmart on saturday at 3pm.

I KNOW my techs make mistakes, but people need to take a little responsibility for their cars. If your life really depends on it as much as you say when you blame ME for your problems with it maybe you should learn how to take care of it. I get yelled at by people all the time who are mad that "You sell anit-freeze, why can't you come out here and pour it in my radiator?" Because I don't get paid to be your ###. We sell toilet paper too, but I'm not coming home with you and wiping your ###. It's not like it's chemistry or rocket science... Show a little respect for your car, YOU own it... not me.

13th of Mar, 2008

I'm feeling you Not important. By no means do or will I ever disrespect a customer eventhough sometimes they have no respect for us. My job is very important to me and I take a lot of pride in my work I have never had a major claim take GOD for that and I try very hard to make sure that all the techs around me stay on point as well. I trust my vehicle to Wal-mart for all services that they do. I am truly sorry for any problems that any customers ever has at any Wal-Mart store and I really try to avoid them from happening at my store.

• Mi
      7th of Apr, 2008

I work in the TLE at a walmart. They know what time you brought the car and what time the car was done... If someone thinks that the walmart associate broke something then let the managment know and ask to see the video of the work done on your car. This is what we do... 9 times out of 10 the video clearly shows that the problem like (broken dipstick) which if it was already broken they should not have even did the oil change. Using an impact on a drain plug is impossible plust walmart keeps oil plugs in stock for customers with some stripped plugs for no charge even if it was not our fault. Only problems that may happen is lost parts which the video can find and if the oil filter gasket stick and put on a new oil filter which could cause major problems. Plus they try to hurry us at a point that they want us to vaccum, wash windshield, check air pressure, tread depth, check air filter, check and fill powersteering fluid transmission fluid, fill washer fluid, check battery, check differential fluid, and greese fittings all before we even check the oil level to start the oil change in 15 minutes from when you sign the palm that the greeter has. I do admit that some people they hire are not capable of doing all this and they make mistakes. Any people need to remember that vaccuming is a courtesy and we are not suppose to get every little piece of dirt that you have.