Video Professor / They are a rip-off, does not teach you anything

I would like to make this complaint about video professor (www.videoprofessor.com), they are a rip off, does not teach you anything that you don't already know, i tried to return mine within the pacific time and they would not answer my e-mails. They said i needed a return number to send it back!!! That is as far as i got with them.

Comments

Va
  1st of Nov, 2006

I cancelled the Video Professor CD's last month. Now they have sent me another set. Why?

Jo
  29th of Nov, 2006

Yeah Video Professor ripped me off too! They charged extra money they shouldn't have, I think they just took it out on purpose like $5.00 and another $1.00. I already paid enough for the CDs!

Su
  18th of Apr, 2007

I would encourage anyone who feels that they have been scammed by Video Professor to complain to their states' Attorney General. Links to the AG in each state can be found on the first page of this website. If enough people complain to the attorneys general, and VPI is found guilty, this scam may finally come to an end and the victims may finally get their money back.

Vp
  30th of May, 2007

Video Professor is eager to help customers with their concerns. Please contact our Customer Correspondence Department directly at (800) 323-8990 . You will be responded to within 24 hours.

Ir
  12th of Jan, 2008

You guys are lucky. I couldn't cancel. It was simply impossible. I tried canceling They charged me $6 per month for 6 months in a row until finally I told the credit card company to stop accepting charges from them. Luckily I have gotten my state's Attorney General office intrested. They have gotten numerous complaints. And of the record, a friend of mines at the AG's office told me their intrested because a case like this brings publicity since the Video Prof. is a well known product and an indictment will bring local and national media attention. The penalties will be stiff just like in other cases of popular products or people.

Bo
  9th of Feb, 2008

DEAR VIDEO PROFESSOR , PLEASE DON'T SEEN ME ANYTHING ELSE!!! TRYING EVERYTHING TO CANCEL. PHONE NO-GOOD, WEB-SITE-USELESS, HELP!!!

Vp
  27th of Feb, 2008

Video Professor is eager to help our customers with their concerns. Please contact our Executive Customer Assurance Department directly at (800) 500-1183. You will be responded to within one business day. You may also email us by visiting www.letvideoprofessorhelp.com

Lu
  11th of Mar, 2008

They keep charging my credit card, and I'm fed up with it. Please make them stop this. It is a crime, and they ddin"t even ask if they could do this or not. I will appreciate it very much. Thank You.

Me
  20th of Mar, 2008

This is one of the biggest scams ever. Ordered the free program and they started sending other disks and charging my cc for 69.99. Yes I call the number above and was told I was to late to do anything until I threaten to turn in to the Attorney General. We'll see if the charges disappear. Very dishonest company. I hope this information keeps other from falling for this scam!!!

To
  1st of Dec, 2008

I ordered one of their free lessons only to be charged $79. I complained and I FINALLY go the amount removed from my credit card. Also if you receive another CD, then don't open it and write Return to Sender on the front and send it back. There is nothing free about this scam!!!

Bi
  25th of Dec, 2008

What gets me is how John Scherer's commercials are pounded into us every 5 minutes on every damn channel selling his "GREAT NEW CD ON HOW TO BUY AND SELL ON EBAY". Well, this commercial has been airing a minimum of 3 years, so just how NEW could it be? Ebay has gone through major changes in the last 3 years. One of them being that a seller cannot leave negative feedback for a non-paying buyer. Video Professor obviously is very very lazy and cheap in the marketing dept. to air a very stale commercial instead of keeping up with FRESH NEW commercials. And beware that Scherer supposedly tried to sue over 100 people who complained about "his product". I am smart enough not to fall victim to a company like this because I can easily see what their m.o. is. They hook you and get your credit card number, then they see visions of sugar plums and set you up on recurring payments and know that by the time you catch on, they've got a few dollars from a few million people. When he says he will send you the CD for free, just remember that anything that sounds too good to be true always is. Snake oil salesman have been operating for hundreds of years and never go away.

Be
  16th of Jun, 2009

I bought only one of the CDs the Publishing one and here I have another disk in my hand for The Internet! I only wanted one CD and now have two? I'm going to request a claim on my VISA, if there is a charge from them and return the disk to them. I only paid for one disk not two programs! Beth

Bb
  17th of Jun, 2009

Video Professor is SCAM.People save the $$$ and stay away from this
To cancel his JUNK is impossible.I have to cancel my credit card to stop them
Where is the LAW.He deserve Alcatraz

18th of Jun, 2009

I've always suspected that guy to be a scam. I was watching some 15 year old VHS cassettes about a year ago and one of his commercials had been recorded. Sure enough, the same lady as the one in the current commercials was pretending to be someone at a convention talking up Video Professor and "the Excel". My jaw dropped. I suspect it's his wife or a friend.

Bb
  18th of Jun, 2009

Why on the world we allow people like video scam professor to operate business
Where is the law.Put those scamers behind the bars and will find the way how to learn
computer basic without paying fortune.Shame of you Video Bandit

Jw
  22nd of Jun, 2009

Referring to the commercial from MrSquigles, I have it on good knowledge that she is a real person, and they set up in Park Meadows Mall in Colorado to have people check out their "training" CD's. She was actually the ONLY ONE who liked their product. That is why they use that clip OVER and OVER. When she refers to her daughter knowing how to use the computer better than she does "...and she's 3 and a half..." I think she's 18 1/2 now. They haven't done another public demo like that because it was such a failure. They had other comments but they didn't get anything as glowing of a review like that woman ( pretty sure thats a woman ) gave. Most were " its ok" or "its good" and when asked if they'd buy it most said "no". lol - I love the comment " plays like a video on your screen." What is "like a video?" It either is or it isn't. To me that demonstrates how out of touch they really are. Also, they do all their commercials in-house. Its basically a 1 man operation there. For years, marketing and focus groups have reported back that they should try to use "other people" or "a different approach and do commercials without Scherer in them. If you want to see FURIOUS, tell Mr. Vanity THAT. At the same time, don't approach him in public and call him the Video Professor. He HATES THAT! Unless you are a 20 something attractive girl. Oh yeah, he's THAT kinda fella. Also, don't expect to hear him instructing you on his "products." He doesn't even know how to effectively use his email and knows basically ### from shineola when it comes to computers.

The person who said, how can they claim the ebay is NEW when its 3 years old. That disc contains basic info. While things change on ebay monthly some times, the ebay learning cd offers nothing more than what you can receive by reading ebay's fundamentals either on ebay.com or on any number of sites out there that help people run auctions.

I would like to say this. The people who said "If its too good to be true, it is..." and "read the fine print" are correct. Video Professor runs on a simple business model. Make the fine print confusing, asterisk the hell out of your fine print to make it even more confusing, and they literally do count on people NOT checking their statements to make a few dollars. Local commercial insertion typically starts at $1500 a pop. No idea what VP pays, but I'm sure its in that ball park. National I believe is $3500 - $5000 per 30 sec segment/commercial to start, again no clue what VP pays, but they aren't hurting for cash. Add to that 300 plus employees and they have their own building in Lakewoood Colorado and you have a company that while unethical does well. How he sleeps at night? I've asked myself that same question. The mere fact that he tried to sue 100 people for their negative reviews and would LOVE to lynch me and most of the rest of you screams the proof that he ( Scherer ) knows he's doing wrong. In business you can't please everyone. No matter how perfect you make something, someone, somewhere, will ### about it. If you stand by your business model and your product you brush negative comments aside and rest on the fact that YOU and others know that what you are doing is RIGHT and that you are an honest and trustworthy business. If you scream and holler and demand retribution and try to attack people for speaking their minds, you obviously have something to hide. I believe VP started out with the best intentions, and just got lost along the way. Really LOST.

The New York Times once did a piece on VP. They discovered spelling errors, wrong information, and plagiary. They apparently had a title for "NETWORKING" and used a basic Networking for dummies type thing ( Book title unknown ) changing a few words here and there. In this day and age, Video Professor is irrelevant, most of what they sell is available online for free. Info is everywhere. They started out good, with a good motive but Scherer's greed is what's tainted that company. Most of the people that work there are excellent and they have a high turn over. Once people find out how they run the company, they bail. If they have a conscience that is.

It is only a matter of time, the writing is on the wall for companies like VP. A whole new generation is coming into it's own, raised on computers and very knowledgeable. VP also has nothing to offer Mac users - a demographic that grows and grows each year, and there are MANY sites like this and MANY others lodging complaints. Before I buy anything, I google the product and strongly suggest everyone make that a habit. They will resolve things, they will refund money but you have to jump thru A LOT of hoops to get their. I know thats too late for some of you but as more and more people read this and the other posts, people will catch on. Plus, VP has enough rope and seem to currently be in the process of hanging themselves. First they'd like to hang those who complain or tell the truth about them and like I said earlier, that speaks volumes.

Anyway, be careful out there people, sadly there are many other businesses out there that use the same tactics Vidiot Professor uses. Search and Verify before you buy anything online. I just had a thought, maybe use one of those credit cards that have a set balance on them? I've never used one but that may be good for companies like this. If you have a CC that only has $25 bucks on it, it can't be charged more than that amount, I would assume. Sorry - thinking out loud. Good luck to those trying to get a refund and I hope this gives some of you insight.

22nd of Jun, 2009

Good scoop, jws. The video professor's gotta go down!
"Try my product."

Ha
  22nd of Jul, 2009

Video professor is a scam. I read somewhere that the CEO is making so much money peddling his lesson CDs, that he flies around in a private Jet. I found a lawfirm that is considering filing a CLASS ACTION against Video Professor and am considering joining the suit. Apparently there is some sort of special or extra compensation for people who are the named plaintiffs in such cases. If you want more info, you should contact the lawyer in charge of this case - email him at ts@ltlcounsel.com. I checked out their website and they are all Ivy League grads. Does anyone know much about this class action stuff?

31st of Jul, 2009

"I read somewhere that the CEO is making so much money peddling his lesson CDs, that he flies around in a private Jet."
Big deal. People fly private jets. That doesn't make it a scam. I'm no fan of the video professor but some sort of evidence about why you think he's a scam would be nice.

"Apparently there is some sort of special or extra compensation for people who are the named plaintiffs in such cases. If you want more info, you should contact the lawyer in charge of this case - email him at ts@ltlcounsel.com."
Are you from Nigeria, too? Honestly, you sound like a scam. Do you work for ltlcounsel? I guess that's why didn't provide any evidence about why you think he's a scam, wouldn't want your posted words to have any legal ramifications down the road just in case. How, exactly, did you find out that ltlcounsel is considering a lawsuit against VP?

3rd of Aug, 2009

"As usual the squiggles is quoting others with the intent to mock they're script."
I do it to avoid confusion; so people know what part of the comment I'm talking about. Can you understand that?