US Periodicals Inc. / magazine subscription fraud

1 PO box 72746Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 623-466-5043

I agreed to a renewal of a subscription to Discover Magazine for 4yrs for $96.00 with these people. I wouldn't do the order over the phone so they sent the info by mail and I sent a check. Didn't want to give them a credit card number. They cashed the check but I have never received a magazine. They won't return my calls either.

Comments

• Le
      23rd of Mar, 2009

US Periodicals also cashed a check I sent for $76 for the National Enqirer with out renewing my subscription. The Enquirer said they reported this company for scamming, but nothing has been done yet.

• Do
      9th of Apr, 2009

well they did the same about Playboy, told me the they were with them. Call Playboy after the send me a invoice, found out they are not a renewing company for them. Then call U S Periodicals and they said that they have no cancellation number and look for it in the next 2 statements.

• Tr
      21st of Apr, 2009

We renewed The Enquirer based on a renewal notice in Feb 2009
    No renewal and the check was cashed
    Trying to contact them and get back the money($119.60)
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Sp
      20th of May, 2009

I wish I had known about this web site before I sent them my money. $45. I guess this is one lesson learned for me. All I can hope for is that someday it will all catch up with them and they will be sitting in jail for their crimes.

• We
      15th of Jun, 2009

Same here renewed subscription for tv guide. paid and got not nothing in return. phone number is nothing but an answering machine, saying they are closed. i would like to know how they get the info. on the fact that you do have a renewal coming up. any body know? wendy

• Vi
      22nd of Jul, 2009

I also got ripped off by this company . I placed a renewal order with them in 01/09 and have been calling them . They advised me it takes up to 120 days . I have asked for a efund and was told they do not refund. I would like to know how to report this company and bring them up with fraud charges. Vicki in NJ

• Wh
      27th of Aug, 2009

These people called my elderly mother-in-law about a renewal of a subscription for the Enquirer. When I asked who she was she said "What difference does that make?" I asked if she was someone from the Enquirer or just representing them because someone had been taking money out of her checking account for magazines that she never ordered and she said it wasn't them because my mother-in-law had never paid them. When I inquired further about how she was connected to the Enquirer she hung up.

• Co
      28th of Sep, 2009

So, how does one protect oneself from these sort of companies? A co-worker also got scammed by U.S. Periodicals when he was called by them and sent a check for $124 for a 4 year subscription to Playboy. When his subscription expired, he called Playboy and was informed, yes, they do send out information to groups like U.S. Publications that customers have expiring subscriptions, but, no, Playboy accepts no responsibility for the failure of U.S. Publications to send the money to Playboy for the subscription.

How do we get the word out that U.S. Pubications is a scam company?

• Mi
      23rd of Oct, 2009

What out for them! Now they are calling people and telling them they are part of a preferred customer program. Participants will receive reimbursements for expenses (gas, food, etc) up to $50 a month in gift cards. The problem is, you have to pay them $80.00 up front for what they call "postage and handling". I refused and the agent said he could just debit the checking account used to make the last payment if I would gived him permission over the phone! I refused and he called back and asked I had a credit card! I said yes, but was not going to give it to him.

I think these guys are doing what fitness clubs used to do when they needed money-give away lifetime memberships for small fees up front which were never refunded when they eventually went under!

• Br
      8th of Jan, 2010

They also cashed my check for $63 in September 2009 and I have yet to receive anything from them! Wish I would have seen this complaint before I sent them my money!

• 90
      1st of Feb, 2010

They also took advantage of my elderly uncle. He sent them a check for $85.00 for a crossword puzzle subscription. They said it would take 4 months before he would get the subscription. Needless to say, he has not received anything.

• Pa
      3rd of Feb, 2010

I recently just got a hold of US periodicals after placing an order in late 2008. This was a subscription for 3 years of Globe Magazine for 154 dollars. The magazines never came. As of March 2009 (as to follow the 60-120 days that they "may" not send magazines in the fine print due to processing) I called the company repeatedly and received no response, they literally seemed to disappear off the face of the planet, every time I called I was disconnected. I decided to cut my losses (we've all been ripped off at some point), that was until recently when I received a renewal notice in the mail. Behold I have a way to contact the company. This morning I called U.S. Periodicals at 623-466-5043 and raise inquisition of why I had not received my magazines and why they would be sending me a renewal notice less than a year into the supposed 3 year subscription, the customer service rep's response was something along the lines of "why didn't you call us?" When i explained that I have been trying to reach the company repeatedly over time and that they seemed to disappear and I had not received any of my magazines, he again attempted to justify it with "you should have contacted us with (insert information here)."
    I finally lost my temper and said something along the lines of "So, you ripped me off and now expect me to pay another 96." To which he told me I was lying. I was flabbergasted and wanted to know why I wanted to be out 154 dollars, and note I was in a bit of a mood and called him a stupid fool. The customer service rep, then began to yell at me " we didn't rip you off, " I said yes, you did which was greeted with the repeated use of "[censored] You C***".

After calming down a bit, I decided to call the number back figuring this was a customer service rep and he had no excuse to speak to me in such a way regardless of the allegations. My son who heard the whole ordeal from the other room attempted to redial and sort this out peacefully received a professional sounding voice stating, "Your calls are no longer welcome here, I'm gonna have to block them."

So to sum it up, not only has this company ripped me off 154 dollars, they have also verbally insulted me. I am posting because I want everyone to know that this is a scam and someone who obviously has no respect for people, regardless of age.

• Br
      9th of Feb, 2010

too bad I didn't look on the internet before I "re-newed" my subscripion to TV Guide--- this at least saves me time and energy to just forget about it -- they say "you don't have to enroll in college to pay for your education"-- I've just been educated at the tune of $84.00...

• Sh
      5th of Mar, 2010

they have turned us in to a collection company from where they say we owe for a renewal for Playboy, that isn't true. cause my husband orders from the Playboy comapny itself. So i wonder what can be done about this?

• Aa
      12th of May, 2010

Call the company (US Periodicals) and discuss your problem with them. We've had problems with them before and a phone call has always straightened things out (eventually). However, there are too many problems with this company and we are not going to use them for any more magazine subscriptions. Their prices are good, but there are too many problems to deal with.

• Ve
      8th of Sep, 2010

I also got scammed by this "So called business", they are just a rip off from the git go. I have tried to contact them numerous times, since June 10, 2010, but they kept telling me it takes up to 12 weeks to get the first copy. No other company tells you that, it does not take that long to put someone on a list for a subscription. Try to call them, it always tell you they will call you back. Well there again it does not take hours, days, or months for them to call you back. If they had any intention of calling anyone back, it might be ok to have a phone recorder, but they are just operating a FARCE COMPANY. Just sorry for all the people who have been scammed.

• Gr
      15th of Nov, 2010

U.S.Periodicals called me syaing they were representing Golfweek Subscription renewal and if I renewed now I would get 3 years for $94.I confirmed the credit card number and made the renewal. Two weeks later my Golfweek stopped arriving.I called Golf week and they said it expired.When I said that I paid on my Credit card thru U.S.Periodicals, Golfweek informed me they have NO connection with U.S. Periodicals and that they do NOT use third party vendor for renewals.I tried to contact U.S.Periodicals (623-466-5043) to no avail .Only a recording that never answers... I have filed a Report with the Arizona Attorney generals Office.(www.azag.gov). Everyone that has gotten ripped off by this company should file a fraud complaint, so that the A.Z.A.G. can put them out of business.

20th of Dec, 2010

This company ripped off my 84 year old mother for $56 for a subscription to "The National Enquirer". After never receiving the magazine, my mother called to ask for her money back. They offered her an extension to her existing subscription, to which she just again, asked for her money back. They then proceeded to tell her that she could not get her money back---so my mother told them that she would turn them in to the BBB. She could not then believe the gentleman on the phone would call her a [censored]ing B***h.
    What kind of company is this?

• Iz
      21st of Mar, 2011

I'll say something nice about these guys... I found out a copy of Maxim was sent in my name to an address I have not been at in 5 years. Fortuantely, I know the poeple whio live there now. She was none too pleased to have her son pull it out of the mailbox. A call to Maxim led to a call to Priority One Clearing which led to US Periodicals. Called, no answer. Left a message.

I received a call back in less than 24 hours. They told me a computer glitch sent out Maxim to about 8000 people in the database. (I may have done business with them previously... I really dont recall at this point.) Anyway, they fixed most of them but a few were still out there. He apologized and agreed to fix any error and assured me I was not charged.

Very professional; took responsibility. (I do reserve the right to negate all of this if the magazine continues to show up.)

• Rr
      5th of Apr, 2011

In september 2010 I renewed a TVguide subscription with this company. I have never received a magazine after the old subscription ended. After reading all the complaints, I don't know if I will even call for an answer to why I am not receiving my magazine. I would like to know how to complain to the state of AZ. From NC.