United Recovery Systems / Harassing and unprofessional

United States Review updated:
3.35
I've been out of work and looking for a job for several months now and I owe 1, 000.00 on my credit card, it's not an awful amount or anything, but it's not great. I keep getting calls from United Recovery Systems and when I speak to them they put me down and insult me. They make me out to seem like I owe tens of thousands of dollars, but that is not the case. They constantly talk down to me and in ways threaten me. They obviously don't understand that times are hard. I just got a phone call about 10 minutes ago, and the woman I spoke to was completely unprofessionally, she even yawned in the phone as she was trying to say something. I just don't appreciate them calling me all the time and harassing me and trying to threaten me.
An

Comments

St
  29th of Sep, 2009
They have done the same thing to me. I went back on my caller ID and there are over 20 phone calls from them in the last 3 days. They are rude and disrespectful.

I have also lost my job and am more than willing to talk to collectors about the issues, however United Recovery is the most unprofessional company I have ever had contact with.

I am sending them a Ceast and Desist letter so that the calls will stop.
Io
  17th of Dec, 2009
Debt collectors are highly motivated to convince debtors to pay the debt because they work on a commission. This business model has created the reputation for bill collection agencies that we know today.

The collector might engage in threatening behavior and harassment. However, like any other business they are governed by laws that prohibit certain abusive practices.

There are three reasons for a debt collector to contact you: your creditor has not received a payment from you within the time frame discussed in the contract; you are a victim of an identity theft meaning someone used your identity to obtain credit and didn’t pay it off; and finally, you might be contacted by collectors who are looking for someone other than you .

When contacted by a collector, take as much information as possible from the caller. Ask for the name of the company, address, the caller name, fax and phone number, amount owned, and the name of the creditor who passed your account to them. Also, tell them you expect to receive a notice in the mail concerning this debt. The last step is very important because you need to have proof of the debt in question in writing.

If you discovered that the debt is not yours, never pay it off simply to get rid of the collector. Also, never ignore the collector either. They will not stop contacting you, and may even file a lawsuit against you. If you are repeatedly being contacted by a collector looking for someone other than you, it may be considered a form of harassment. To stop this you need to send them a letter requesting to cease calls.

If you established that the debt is yours and you don’t feel comfortable dealing with a collector via phone, tell them you want all future correspondence in writing. You need to send this request via a certified mail and request a return receipt. If you want to allow calls only between 5pm and 6pm, tell them about it in the letter. By law collection companies are required to respect your privacy and will have to cease all phone calls to your home, relatives, neighbors, and work.

Once you have their claims in writing it’s easier to seek legal help, and keep records of your correspondence.

Send all your responses to bill collectors via Certified Mail. This way you will have proof of receipt by the addressee.

Remember that the amount they claim you owe is negotiable. You can negotiate the total amount due, number of payments, and the payment deadline. Once you worked out the payment plan, request it in writing.

What a debt collector CANNOT do:

Use deceptive practices. For example, threaten you with arrest or trick you into paying for collection calls.
Use obscene language.
Call you at work after you tell them that your boss does not approve these calls.
Deny you the right to receive a written notice (within five days after your first phone conversation) that would tell you how much you owe and the name of the creditor that says you owe the money. If you do not receive the notice within five days, call the collection agency and ask for its address and fax number. Then, send a letter to the collector noting its failure to send you the required notice. As a minimum, make a note in your file.
Refuse to give its name and the name of the collection company when asked.
Put a debt on your credit report if you file a dispute. It must validate the debt by obtaining a verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment from the creditor before continuing their collection efforts. The results of the investigation must be mailed to you.
For more information on Fair Debt Collection visit http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fdc.shtm

You posting on here about pay your debt, , , , is all yours paid in full? Right know everyone is having problems in this economy. Noone wants to owe, but sometimes it comes down to putting food on table, medicine for your family and paying debts...I guarantee if you had this choice you take NOT paying the debt. Do not judge those who you do not know the reason why they are were there are.