Unicorn Financial Services / That is a load of crap!

United States Review updated:
Unicorn Financial Services
P.O. Box 4758 Carol Stream, IL
Phone: 60197-4758
Unicorn Financial provides interest free loans to patients receiving long term care from medical and dental offices. I mistakenly entered into to a contract with them and was under the impression that if I paid off the balance in full within 18 months that I would not have to pay interest.

I was late for one payment, they say I was late for three. They do not provide the ability to pay online, and I did not receive their statements in a timely fashion. I over paid for most of my payments and when I received the letter that my account was about to go into default, I paid in full and now they are telling me that the finance charges have kicked and I now owe additional monies.

I will report them to the BBB and the Attorney General's office. I will no longer do business with anyone who uses their services and I will continue to post complaints. I had perfect credit when I applied for this loan and now, if I don't pay the interest charges, they will ruin my credit. I believe that Unicorn as well as the companies that do business with them are not fully disclosing the terms of their contracts before they convince their unknowing and trusting patients to enter into a contract just so they can make some money.

I was unable to find anything on their website that allowed me enter a complaint, although I see several comments they posted about how "wonderful" they are. That is a load of crap.

Please post! Thank you.

A  27th of Sep, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
indeed..the facts are true on my last payment which is my very last contract due amount ..I paid in full.. all sudden i checked online I was a day late and they charge me deffered interest which is $757 dollars!! and my last balance due is $780 ..obviously they wanted to make money on me since I was on their one year interest free......and they sent me to the collection agency...I was angry!!! now i cant do anything....at the end they will charge u interest!!!!! the deffered interest!!!
A  6th of Oct, 2007 by
Absolutely agree that Unicorn specializes in ripping people off. My husband passed away in the middle of the term and I paid ahead to make sure I wouldn't miss a payment while busy with other things. For this I was charged $450 in finance charges for not paying the monthly minimum. Have gotten no satisfaction calling them. The 27.99% interest rate for violation of the "interest free promotional plan" should have been a big tip-off!
A  11th of Oct, 2007 by
I agree completely and I think this company sets out to do everything they can to make people fail to "meet the contract". I was never late on a payment. I paid my last payment in September. The due date on their billing was the 26th. My last payment was posted on 9-14-07. According to Union Financial, we contract expired 9-4-07. If they had specified the due date was by the 4th, they would have had my payment. In October, I was totally shocked to receive a bill for $205.00 for interest. The contract I signed said that the loan had to be paid off in 12 months. My contract was paid off in 12 months. To make matters worse, when I finally reached a "customer service" person, she was rude and had no intention of listening or try to provide any customer service. I feel totally violated and cannot believe that this company can get away with treating people this way. I plan to tell everyone I know about this experience. I would hate to be associated with Unicorn Financial because they are so underhanded and they have obviously hurt many people. As one of life's findings, what goes around comes back. May they rip what they sew!
A  21st of Nov, 2007 by
I will NEVER ever use Unicorn Financial again. I did not receive a statement last month and they charged me a 38 dollar late fee! I travel a lot for work and am not always home to get the bills. I use online bill pay and Unicorn does not offer it. They plan it that way, that way you may miss your payment and they can slap you with the finance charge. They stink! I am going to pay mine off. I will pay more in late fees that they make up then I will in the interest lost in my savings account. How can a company not bill you for a month, then slap you with a late fee...
A  21st of Nov, 2007 by
Absolute load of crap. They specialize in ripping people off. They purposely didn't post a payment i sent (and could prove it because my bank sends them automatically) for 10 days. I even informed them and had my bank get on the line. They only backed down when i threatened to sue because it's illegal to refuse or delay payments received. I'm filing a complaint with the BBB. Someone needs to open an investigation into these crooks!! Anyone up for a class-action lawsuit...
A  28th of Nov, 2007 by
We missed a payment, first time, we called them to take care of it before they called us. We found out we had to pay $479 in interest despite good credit, good payment history and the fact that we already paid off one unicorn loan. After agreeing to take care of it on the phone they proceeded to call our home and office every other day (Thanksgiving week! we were away) Finally they had someone come onto our property one evening and slip a hand written note into our mail box urging us to call them!!! When I confronted the service rep, all he could say was "we were trying to help". I even took responsibility for my error and would pay the amount, after all I signed the agreement. But that many phone calls and a sneaky visit to my home after I agreed to pay??? I will never ever use Unicorn financial again.
A  5th of Dec, 2007 by
Paying ahead does not stop late charges. I am 2 months ahead, payment was "received" one day late which they charged me $39. On the back of the bill it says that payments received later than 10 a.m. are considered to be received the next business day. I don't understand that. If they have it, how can they not process it, or at least treat it as received the day before? Does the postman come at 10 to their business or something? It is true that they don't offer online payments, they also charge you 20-30 dollars to make an over the phone payment with a credit card too. They will not let you set up automatic payments either. This company truly has all the ear marks of a bad business. By the way, your complaints made over the phone, "Does not preserve your rights". They want you to MAIL your complaint within 60 days of the "error" to a place in Mesa, AZ. I guess email just doesn't work for them?
A  8th of Jan, 2008 by
CROOKS!!!!! CROOKS!!! CROOKS!!!This company has been nothing but a headache from Day 1. They take advantage of people. Only people who have a decent credit score. If you don't they won't even consider you as a customer. They offer 0% intrest on for three years. What you don't know is the send you a bill the day the loan funds. You have approximately 23 days to receive the bill, pay it and send them the payment before the 23 days is up. If you try to pay them on line...they don't offer it. If you try to pay them over the phone... they want $24.00 more dollars. I missed my payment date by two days and they slappeded me with a $39.00 late fee plus put me at a defalt reate of 24.89% CROOKS!!!!! CROOKS!!!!! CROOKS!!!! CROOKS!!!!! Talk about people who take advantage of their customers. I made my payment, but refused to pay any extra. So what do they do, they notified the credit reporting agency who dropped both my wife and my credit scores. Even after promising to pay them in full for the amount of the loan and a $39.00 late fee. Their customer service rep openly admitted that they loan people money at zero % knowing they most likely will default. That's why they offer ZERO % INTREST.
CEO of Unicorn is a LAWER.....No! Joseph Landers Jr. out of Tallahassee Florida
Good Luck. These people are HEARTLESS
N  17th of Jan, 2008 by
At Present i am living in himachal and requred Contact.
No. For Terminal Establishment query
My No. is 9816082418
A  28th of Jan, 2008 by
Unicorn Financial screwed us over with a $39 late fee, because the payment did not make it to the Financial Service Center on time. My husband was irritated with the company so he did not pay the late fee, but paid the bill. He meant to dispute the charge since payment was made and most credit companies issue a one time courtesy late fee charge. Big mistake! We received a letter that our account was delinquent, and that the deferred finance charges would be accrued and be reflected in our next statement. The customer service representative was unwilling to bend and told me that Unicorn Financial makes its' money from these interest free loans, and the fees. The customer service reps also like to make the customer feel like they were very irresponsible and careless, so it's there own fault. So, I would have to conclude that the company is set-up to make sure people are late and then charge the fees and the interest as well. I am not sure what customers can do to protect themselves once they have a contract and payment plan set-up with Unicorn. There doesn't seem to be any watchdog or consumer agency for one to contact after the fact.
N  23rd of Feb, 2008 by
Wow - I'm sorry to hear everyone has had such a bad experience. Mine has been good with them - I had to have a large mole removed from my forehead and it was a reasonable option for me. It sounds like everyone here was late with their payments and when I signed up they were up-front about how the no financing for one year thing worked. It sucks, but it's common policy that if you miss or are late on payments that the terms of your financing changes. Not trying to defend them though - I'm sure they are as evil as every other lending institution, but my experience was good. I have one more payment and another partial payment and i'm done.
N  26th of Feb, 2008 by
no coment
A  4th of Mar, 2008 by
Unicorn screwed me over with a $39 late fee! Get this; I underpaid a $1.60 bill by .54. They're refusing to take off the late fee. They're seriously expecting me to pay this late fee on an oversight. Never mind the fact that the $1.60 was a complete shock to me; but I went ahead and attempted to pay it anyway. If this isn't extortion, I don't know what is!
A  7th of Apr, 2008 by
i am very upset that i ever got invovled with them!!! they are in fact crooks and rip you off with late fees and interest. it seems like no matter how much extra you send it will never end!
D  11th of Apr, 2008 by
I find it interesting that everyone with complaints was LATE with a payment. Well, duh! The terms clearly state that if you don't pay the minimum by the due date then interest kicks in. Don't get mad at the company b/c you couldn't manage to get your bill paid on time. Online billpay (usually free through your bank or credit union) is a great option and ensures that your bill gets paid on time. Try it!
A  15th of Apr, 2008 by
Unicorn is a scam - now they are chasehealthadvantage. they will lose your payment or not send you a bill, then get you with a huge interest fee - mine was 1000.00!!! I paid them before the due date and they did not deposit my check until after the payment was due, they then gave me 40 late fee, thereby not closing my account -- then charged me a years worth of intrest on the initial loan!!!

Someone sue these crooks please! Class action!
A  7th of May, 2008 by
I have the same bad experience with them. Even after Chase bought them they pulled this. I was diligent all year long making my payments on time. When it switched over to Chase, the did not send me my last statement and the Unicorn/new Chase website no longer provided account balance information and my payment was delayed and they charged me $844 interest! It was my last payment and it was only for $512 and it was just a couple of days late and now I get dinged with this huge bill. They did their best to make up for an interest free loan and they succeeded. Bunch of unconscience jerks! I was a good customer all year and they screwed me. They changed their name (new owner Chase) but it's the same people working there and it's going to give Chase a very bad name. I think Chase did not know what they were getting into. They should fire all of them and replace them with their own people. As it is, Chase is going to lose me as a customer. 3 checking accounts, 4 credit cards, home equity, savings, car loan. It's all being moved to someplace else! Thanks for nothing, Caesar.
A  13th of May, 2008 by
I received a call May 6, 08, telling me that my last payment was $20.00, first how can that happen, the payments are scheduled and suppose to be the same every month. Second the ^%&()** said she was calling from Chase Financial. She never said "we use to be Unicorn". So since I have a chase credit card, I got on-line and sent the credit card company extra money. May 13, the &*(((&^ calls back and was very rude telling me I didn't send the $20.00 I promised I would last week. When I questioned her saying that I had made a payment on line, she tells me they don't take payments on line, only when I questioned what company she was with did she tell me it use to be Unicorn. Then the fight was on. She wouldn't listen to anything i had to say, even the part about my husband being in Iraq and paying extra on that bill every month in case he couldn't get to a computer on time, she told me she didn't care what my circumstance were, that $1, 200.00 was being added to my account for interest because I didn't pay 20.00 dollars. Why was my payment different this month, maybe because Chase is trying to screw everyone on the no interest program out of money so they can have more. If they try to turn me in to the credit bureau for not paying their trumpted up interest charges, i'm going to send a copy of all these complaints to every credit bureau in the country, and if that doesn't work, screw them, I'm not paying them a dime over what was originally agreed on.
A  21st of May, 2008 by
I agree. They do not mail billing statements in time.
They are crooks. They only qualify those with good credit and then scam them. They know that people with good credit will just pay up. DO NOT PAY THEM ANY INTEREST IF YOU RECEIVED A LATE BILLING STATEMENT! I am very upset and cannot believe they are allowed by the government to continue to do business. They made an error to my account and reversed the error but not the interest. They have horrible customer service. I would rather pay an attorney to take this case even if it costs more than the interest. UNICORN FINANCIAL IS NOT ETHICAL.
A  16th of Jun, 2008 by
I made my payments on time every month (but now realize they could just as easily misplaced my payment and called it late).

When I was down to my last two payments, I sent the money for both of them and wrote "paid in full" on my check. Obviously, I narrowly escaped the fate of the rest of you.

I was just going to sign up for another loan (for another dental procedure), and am so thankful to find this site. I will NOT risk going to them again. I am certain they would find a way to defraud me.

Thanks everyone!