Tru Tech Model T512-M MP3 Player / Cheap crap sold by some retailers!

In any case, my wife and I purchased the referenced MP 3 player for a friend going through chemotherapy for cancer to help alleviate some of the stress during these procedures. Not surprisingly, I found this unit to be a cheap piece of crap, cant really tell from the packaging if its produced in China, or some other third world country, but I would be surprised if its not. After several hours of attempting to download music (unsuccessfully) the cable that connects the unit to my PC, which was unreliable initially, began to fail as the connection at the MP3 was poorly made, unless I held the cable a certain way, it would not connect to the PC. Eventually, it would not make connection at all.

After being disappointed by the purchasing group at Target, now I will embark on the second round “guest relations”, I will attempt to take it back to one of your stores, I am sure that this will be an adventure. Dealing with the 16 - 18 year old minimum wage clerk at the return counter, returning a product with the packaging that is torn apart (the only way to get this cheap piece of crap out of the packaging) will definitively be challenging.

Lesson learned, stick to brand name electronics, not the cheap crap sold by some retailers.

No “form letter” response required, however if you wish to have some sincere dialog, please respond.

Comments

• Ki
      23rd of Dec, 2006

I was fine with the music downloading, but then all of the music was somehow "lost" and I cannot download anything else. None of the functions work property and it states that the mp3 is full when I am nowhere near the capacity. I cannot delete anything and a little House is where the songs should be and I do not know how to remove it. Went to stated website target.com/trutech and it is not a valid website. Very disappointed because I received this as a gift from the company I work for.

• Eb
      29th of Mar, 2007

So I went to Target today to purchase an MP3 player to take with me on a 4 hour long bus ride to Dallas this weekend, so that I could have music to listen to without the bother of CD's... well I'm following the instructions and everything is going along fine and dandy, I finish the installation... restart the computer... plug in the USB, the screen lights up..so far so good... I choose several songs to download... they start copying to the MP3 player... the little music note pops up on the MP3 player... I walk away for an hour or so to let it finish... It's done! *I do a little happy dance :-)* Only to see that it says "No File"... -_- ... wtf??? I try many times but the POS wont download any songs... I look around for some kind of tech support... can't find any... -_- ... back to Target I go... lets see if the will take this crap back and give me my money... *screams* 60 bucks for this POS excuse of an MP3 player!!! This is going to be an interesting encounter with customer service...

• Fr
      1st of Apr, 2007

Okay well i went to target yesterday to buy a gift for my sister.. my sister is all happy that i bought her an mp3 ... she reads all the instructions and when she goes to download songs the music symbol is popping up and she is all happy ... and then when she went to go hear the music the freaking piece of JUNK !!! Said "No File"... I wasted 50$ on something that is super useless. I am today going to Target to Get my money Back and buy an MP3 that is way better than TRUTECH!!! Dont sell something that does not work !!! :-(

• Ho
      17th of Apr, 2007

I got my wonderful truetech mp3 player for Christmas from my brother. I was so excited. When I went to download songs, that I bought, they seem to download. Then I went to play them and the stupid thing said "no authority." I don't know what to do with mine I don't have a receipt or anything and now that it has been 4 months they will probably not take it back. If anyone knows of what I can do please let me know.

• La
      23rd of Apr, 2007

I am having the same problem as everyone above me. My first MP3 player I found at target on Clearance for $20 and that thing lasted me over a year and worked just fine no problems at all, but it happened to get wet. So I go back to Target and wanted another cheap mp3 player because I am "hard" on my electronics. LOL Yeah, well I guess you get what you pay for right? This thing sucks. If I want to add new songs it tells me I have NO FILE I have to delete everything off this stupid thing and then re-copy it all. It is horrible. I can't wait till I have money for a REAL MP3 player!!!

4th of May, 2007

Just purchased the Trutech MP3 player Model T1000-M and the cable doesn't even read on any computer for downloading music.

This product should be pulled from the shelves of Target. I purposely kept my receipt. Something told me, keep your receipt! I should've known something was wrong when it said that I need to add a battery.

7th of May, 2007

I've owned 2 models of the Tru Tech mp3/dvd players, although not this particular model, and have have problems with both of them. The major problem being with the remote controls malfunctioning (new batteries did not alleviate this). Without the remote, half the alleged functions are inassessable. These were also purchased from Target.

• Ro
      9th of May, 2007

I have just discovered the RIP function in the Media Player. With that function I was able to rip (copy) to the library (or other location) and play back the file. Check it out.

29th of May, 2007

I'm making my second major attempt at putting music on the t512; the screen is giving me what i believe to be an error message, V060512, with an image of a wire connecting the pc to the player.

Somehow i managed to get music on before, but it is apparently write protected, and will neither play nor delete. Formatting my K drive won't result in anything but the same error msg.

3rd of Jun, 2007

I bought it today and you know what it tells me to get a new service so this little piece of ### would work imma return it tomorrow.

• De
      4th of Jun, 2007

I bought this and thought I downloaded music and NOTHING. Then I tried again and the screen went blank. It won't go on at all. I know it has nothing to do with the battery. I am so upset that I can't find the receipt and wasted my money.

11th of Jun, 2007

I strongly agree with what I say. I bought this thing got it to turn on one time and it literally has not turned off since and they were batteries right outtake the pack i tried switching batteries and that didn't help anything i hooked it up to my laptop and guess what it doesn't appear to connect. By the looks and feel of this thing it will break with ease and I'm thinking about testing that theory right now its pissing me off that bad... this is a item i would never even consider buying again it is by far the worst mp3 players ever... its something you'd expect to get with your big kids meal from Mcdonalds... lol

Even for that it would suck.

• Ha
      12th of Jun, 2007

The long and the short is that the Trutech T512 is a piece of junk. Just like all of the others said it simply doest not work AT ALL. If you have one the best advise is to throw it in the trash and move on to something better.

• Je
      8th of Jul, 2007

T1000-
    I replaced a Creative MuVo that accidentally got run through the washer with this unknown inexpensive player. Big mistake.

I had no problems putting music onto the device and playing it back. However, I encountered problems within the first several hours of operation with the *poorly* engineered buttons on the case. The volume got maxed, but now I cannot reduce the volume. Where in Hades is a technical support website for this POS player?

I guess I can still use the thing if I put a headphone on it with a volume control, but having the thing stuck on high volume decreases the battery life.

My bad for buying this thing. Like one of your earlier posters, I should have stuck with a known brand.

• Da
      10th of Jul, 2007

I kinda agree and kinda don't... I don't have to hold mine as certain way i just cant get the correct format... I have tired. MP3 it didn't work nor did. WMA i can only not access this information through a mac tough, in a pc like status it will download 50% of the music. But the T1000-M I bought is much better than a piece of ### That i got from walmart named the ZEN stone! f***ing liars!!! The first problem occurred when the cable wouldn't connect so when i got a new cable. That worked but then it would never show music or play it the only thing it would ever do is show its power display. So two in three days i am just a little pissed!!!

• Je
      20th of Jul, 2007

Um... Hi everybody,

I just got this as a b-day gift from my mother. I never heard of the brand so I wasn't not too excited about it. I was suspicious about it being any good, 'cause my mom is pretty cheap so I haven't even bothered to open it.

Instead I've been searching it, can't find anything about it but complaints so after reading all these comments I don't think I will open it at all. I am heading to target to return it ASAP. Hope moms doesn't find out!

• Tr
      1st of Sep, 2007

I got a trutech today and I've been fighting with this thing for like three and a half hours and i thought it was me, but apparently it's just a piece of sh*t! I'll never buy another trutech anything again! I'm bringing it back first thing in the morning. I'm pissed!!!

7th of Sep, 2007

Hi All,

I have a trutech player. I found a few functions which may help you. When the "HOLD" button is on, you cannot transfer music. In fact the music player becomes write protected! Also, after you connect the player using the USB cable, you will see a wire connecting the player and the computer with letters starting with"V". Now press the menu button again. This makes the player ready to accept music files. You will see a music icon on the wire icon. Now simply copy and paste files into the music player.

Hope it was helpful!!! If it was, please comment!

• Kj
      16th of Sep, 2007

This is a piece of crap MP3 player. When I first purchased it it was wonderful!!!! After about a month or so it just stopped accepting my downloads ereased all of the music I had put on it and now every-time I plug it up it automatically deletes my music files. When I first got it I had 87 songs downloaded now I'm down to 2 songs. I feel as if I was robbed big time I work hard for my money not just to give it away Trutech needs to stand behind their product and let us all bring them in w/out a receipt and get store credit for a different brand or just give back my D**N money!!!!!!!

• Li
      29th of Sep, 2007

It seems a lot of people are having problems with putting music onto their T1000-M's. I just bought mine from Target today, and found no such problem.
    I didn't need to install the software because the software is only needed for Windows 98 users who do not have current USB cababilities on their computer. If you have anything higher than that you can just plug your device into the USB drive and it'll be automatically connected.
    To get my music onto the devise I opened the My Music folder where I keep all my music files, and then leaving it open I opened My Computer and opened the devise in that window. Then I just dragged and dropped my music files into the "MEDIA" folder of the devise. It went right in.
    As for how reliable this devise is, I have no opinion as of it. It plays fine for me, I don't like that you can't shuffle music...you have to either play it in it's alphabetical order or pick a song from the folder, but I bought it for $30 so I can't complain. I'll check back with a review when I know more.