TOTAL MARKETING CONCEPTS, INC. / Not paying employees

1 684 S. HWY 1792 / 700 S. HWY 1792Longwood, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: (407) 830-5033

Twice I've not gotten paid by this company. And I know I'm not alone. It seems that each week dozens of angry employees are saying the same thing. Officially this company claims to employ only 10-35 people. The reallity is that this company puts together numerous "boiler room-type" marketing teams employing between 400-600 employees at a time. Who is incharge of the timecards, payroll, and bookeeping for all of these employees...? JUST ONE PERSON out of their other office in Sanford, FL. Of course people aren't getting paid. You have the workforce of a giant company with the capabilities of a small business. And the ones who are suffering are the employees. Many of whom are proffesional people with families who're stuck having to put up with this due to a currently terrible job market. THE OWNWERS AND UPPER MANAGEMENT OF THIS COMPANY HAVE NO SOULS!

Jo

Comments

• Ji
      26th of Jan, 2009

I've worked for this company in the past and have never had an issue with them- Have you tried contacting them? if you have a legitimate complaint- drop off a letter and they will definitely take notice. I once had a similar situation in Tampa with a company and I later found out that the Supervisor hadn't submitted my paycheck discrepancy form to payroll like he was supposed too. Anyway- give them a call- they wouldn't still be in business with 450-600 people if they didn't pay their people!

22nd of Mar, 2009

Not only do they cheat people out of money (I've seen 4 people have their checks "misplaced") but they treat their employees like dirt.

This is not about sales, this is about their MySpace Program.

Imagine having your job threatened EVERY SINGLE DAY. Want to see just how anal TMC is ? I was written up for missing 1 picture...out of the 500, 000 + I view a week. I have a 99.993% catch rate and yet I was still written up. Can you imagine what it does to morale to be told to get your numbers (of pages viewed) up and then get written up for missing a single picture? The bosses don't see you as a person, they see you as a dollar signs.

This sweat shop is too cheap to even provide water to their employees. We have to buy it. But we get as much coffee as we can drink. Gotta keep the Proles awake.

I am thinking of going to work at an Ice Cream parlor just to escape this place.

• To
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I worked for energy solutions which got raided by the feds and the owner use to be a manager at summerbay he then changed the name to tmc which is a scam i advise no one to ever work for that company they are liars and cheats why do you think they hire every single day and matt who works for pg&e he made a racist comment and when I totally told him about african american rights he fired me and they called the police i never received my paychecks and when I was working there 200.00 a week is no money they said that they don't take out taxes...look at your paychecks and they have you fill out a w-9 which means you have to file your own taxes so how could a company take out taxes and by law they are not suppose to... I advise no one to work for tmc they are scams and always will be...

• Me
      17th of May, 2009

Oh dear lord, don't even start me on the 1099 scam. They pay you hourly 7.25 on a regular check, with taxes withheld. then, they pay any bonus you get on a 1099 check. it's totally illegal. plus, if you make your quota, you get your check on friday. if you don't you have to wait till monday and go to the receptionist. whereupon they yell at you for trying to get your check... finally, the place is a total slam central. every single commission account they have, with the exception of AT&T, is in one form or another slamming customers to these rinky dink little long distance companies. they even have a strobe light that goes off to let you know the client's monitoring, so that you know to use an "approved" script.

• St
      15th of Jun, 2009

I agree with Jimmy O-- if you work for a company like TMC and have an issue about your pay, go to someone and they will help you get it fixed. I worked in a call center in college and had some issues with missing training time, downtime etc etc-- but when I brought it up to the senior managers it was corrected right away. If this company employees over 400 people and has only a few complaints Id say thats pretty good. The folks complaining above seem to be disgruntled and just want to complain.
    Walmart and McDonalds are accepting applications. (but sadly not hiring alot of people these days)
    As far as the commission/bonus money geting 1099'd-- this is completely ok- I know many sales people that receive commissions like that.

If you werent paid by TMC-- go talk to someone and ask for help... or just post messages-- your call. Its great that a company is still hiring people that need jobs like TMC.

• Ww
      23rd of Jun, 2009

Who ever made the last comment is probably one of the [censored] managers or assistant managers who work for them, because this is the same BS they tell you, "Go work for McDonalds if you don't like it." That was a complete give away. I worked for them and was never scammed out of my paycheck because I wouldn't take that kind of crap. I quit because of the way they treat many of their employees, even though they never did it to me because once again I wouldn't take that kind of BS from any employer and just complain and do nothing about it. Its just a freakin' sweat shop. They sensed that I was just there temporarily anyway. Even though my numbers were good, there's was no way I would even considered working there on the long term or wasting my skills on a company like that. They never disrespected me or talked that to me any kind of way like I heard do to some either. So you see its all the way you carry yourself. I never disrespected any of them, so mentally I dared them to do it to me and they never did nor did they ever mess around with my paycheck or commissions. The owners and managers are greedy ###-holes and don't care about people, so all that money they can't take with them nor will not stop any of them from burning in hell!!

• Rm
      4th of Sep, 2009

I have nothing but great things to say. i have been treated great by the company and the owner and managers have treated me like part of a family, no one has ever threatened my position or played with my money, if i ever had an issue i brought it to the proper persons attention and it was resovled.

• Cd
      29th of Sep, 2009

Turn them into the IRS. What you described those are EMPLOYEES and the IRS will not allow them to NOT withhold taxes.

When your employer tells you what hours/days to work and/OR you have to report to a location designated by your employer you are in fact by law an employee. They will get a very nice audit from the IRS.

• Tm
      11th of Dec, 2009

First of all, anyone here saying TMC isnt a scam is a liar and must be a manager of the company. I recently worked for TMC and let me fill you in on the complete SCAM they run...or should I say Part of one of the complete scams they run.

Training : Lasts 4 Hours with 25 interuptions.. The Training manager tells you how honest they are and tells you all the rules...( So legally they can say they told you the rules and you sign to this fact.)

Then your on the floor...being told by the floor managers to ignore what they told you in training. Then they go about telling you what they call GREY AREAS in the SCRIPTS they tell you to use. Now GREY AREAS = Lies they tell you to use by way of word play.

Here are some examples from one of their Utility Supplier Switching Programs

First you call people.. and say." Im calling in regards to some savings information you recently from your (Insert name of their current utility supplier) bill.

If they ask you where your calling from you say that your calling from whichever company they are switching people to in the campaign your on. And even better is you tell them you are a " Senior Energy Consultant". I was smart enough to make copies of all the paperwork they gave me filled with lies and I have all the scripts too.

You then go on and tell them " you received some savings information with your utility bill and never responded to take advantage of the offer so im giving you a courtsey call.

Then you tell them about a program that they have been approved for because of their account being in good standing.

Then you have to get them to give you their account number. When they do you look up the account by number through their utilities website and use the information to further make them think you are working in conjunction with their utility company.

Once you verify their account information ( so you can fill out the forms that they use to switch their supplier.)

Here are some of the Lies, oh I mean selling points they use:

You will receive an immediate savings of UP TO 8% on your utility bill for 12/24 months depending on the program. (Meaning it could be .001 percent and its usually worse but your already in their head with savings dreams)

And you tell them if they close the account before the contract is over "there will be a $50 dollar recovery fee" you just don't mention that they will also be hit with $20 per month for every month left in the contract. Than can end up to be $290 or more.( Most employees don't even know this I found out by reading the suppliers website.)

Then you give them direct instructions. " Look on the back of the first page of your bill, see where is says basic service charge? They say yes...you go on to tell them well your paying between 11 and 18 dollars, knowing its $15.35. They say yeah and you tell them " Well with this program your new basic service charge is only going to be $4.95 so thats another plus to the program. Thats word play, in reality the $4.95 is an additional fee so you say plus so later when they complain they can say we told them is was a plus=added.

That is all I want to get into for now concerning the lies. I could go on and on.

Pay..lol... now this is even better. First they show you all these pay rates and show you how its possible to make this and that, $18.00 is possible if you hit "Quota" but if not $7.25.

Oh and we only pay you for 37.5 hours a week. So to make quota you can work all the extra hours you want and we will add the sales to your quota but you wont get paid hourly for the work.

If you work there you'll notice the systems down alot, ans many times the leads are terrible. You call people that say they have been called 10 times please stop calling, or they aren't even paying that utility company. So you waste tons of time when your there on the clock forcing you to try and work for free to try and meet this quota.

Now as I was working there I am the type of person that looks around and uses his deductive reasoning so I asked a few people questions and this is what I figured out.

The average pay is much lower than you would receive from unemployment. If you are able to get your quota or go past it and start making $500 or more a week for more than 2-3 weeks they "PROMOTE" you to a new program. They tell you how now you have a higher payscale and can make more. But it never seems to work out that was so your back to making under $300 a week again.

I must say that there are a few there that make quota. And the best part is they are just the best con artists of the group. One of them actually was saying he was a woman (Mrs. Davis) because he has a feminine voice and sounded like a sweet little old lady "Who doesn't trust a sweet little old lady".

They also say you cant go after senior citizens and one day I had a lady on the phone she told me she was 80 so i told her sorry maam but you arent eligible for the program. When I hung up the phone I was yelled at by a manager that was monitoring my call. He told me "why did you do that" I said " she was 80" he went on to say " She was coherent its your call if there coherent" I just shook my head.

Anyway I mentioned earlier, I have all their scripts and information and I will be posting it all, ALL over the internet and sending it to various agencies to let the world know that this company is nothing more than a scam and you of you that say it isn't are working for their marketing department. Tell me what type of person that is happy with their job would even end up here and actually write a response to this type of thing.

Have any of you when you were happy at work thought " Let me go online and look for people writing negatively about where I work so i can go defend them? The truthful answer is no.

So readers... who is not speaking the truth...me or the people here stating how they never had a problem with TMC...

• Lo
      3rd of Mar, 2010

I agree with "tmcscammedme"!!! You seem to have all the information on the company and you seem to know what you speak of and if you really do have all the copies of the rules, scripts and lies ... oh ... I mean selling points, please do post those so I can see them and read them to see if I really do or don't want to work for this company thank you for your input and for posting this information!!! I do not want to be scammed out of my money and I sure as hell don't want to be lied to or yelled at for something as low as following the rules ... oh ... and once again I mean lies !!! Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Julian Perez
    Resident of Sanford, FL

8th of Apr, 2010

Greetings to poster TMCSCAMMEDME. I am a local business in Sanford, FL and have been open for the past 4 years and I commend you on the information you provided. From what I see I'd rather remain anonymous for this post. It's very accurate from what I heard. A friend of mine asked me if I would check out this company before the interview and now I am totally convinced that this is not a way to earn income. I am so disgusted from what I have read and heard from blogs and word of mouth. Sanford does not need an establishment like TMC blemishing this hard working community. I think this is something that should be brought up to Linda Kuhn immediately. I did notice the police always patrolling the parking lot whenever I'm driving by on my way to work. Now I know why. What a sad situation.

• Ge
      13th of Apr, 2010

yes i agree with tmcscammedme they do a lot of illegal practices but its not done in the code of contact book or infront of employees. Its done in the back where they chop and cut recorded verifications something im sure th fcc would love to know. they go thru great lengths to keep these "quality assurance" issues under wraps. Yellow page programs being the main scam not hepling anyone. It is marketed as free and the verification shouldnt be needed then but is and also talked over or altered after to provide billing to the LEC.
    You can make money there if you sell your soul

• Po
      13th of Jun, 2010

I COMPLETELY AGREE ABOUT TMC BEEING A FREAKING SCAM!!! THIS PLACE STEALS CUSTOMER FROM AT&T, VERIZON, EMBARQ(CENTRI LINK) AND OTHER LONG DISTANCE PROBITORS. LARRY WHO'S "THE OWNER" IS A COMPLETE [censor]. FRANKIE HILL IS ANOTHER EX CONVICT WHO IS A LIAR AND A THIEF. THANK GOS I SAVED ALL THE SCRIPTS BECAUSE IM GOING TO REPORT THEM TO THE B B B ASAP!!! THESE PEOPLE ARE DISGUSTING AND A POOR EXCUSE FOR HUMANS . DOG SHT IS BETTER THAN THESE IDIOTS

• Tm
      13th of Jun, 2010

TMC is a complete scam. They rip people off all over the country by scamming business owners into a 40 dollar charge. They tell the agents over the verification when it says that the customer has to cancel or they get billed 40 dollars per month.

They also rip people off selling them gas. They give you the script that the gas companies want you to read in training and tell you that when you get on the sales floor you will get a diff script that misleads and lies to customers. When the gas company comes to visit they make you throw away all the other scam scripts and hand back out the actual gas company scripts. If a rep gets a complaint they make em record themselves on the gas co script with NO customer so they can EDIT the recording. Seen that happen lots.

They have ripped me off on my check before by having sales mysteriously vanish. Since then I have found out that they steal a certain amount of sales from each rep every week and tell them the customers cancelled.

The managers sell drugs and Brian the main one is the biggest addict/dealer of all. He loses his temper and treats people like garbage because he is strung out. I've heard him ask people for pills. He makes rude sexual comments to women and i heard he had sex with a couple of the reps.

Sooooo...don't work at tmc. That is the lesson i and a lot of others have learned.

23rd of Aug, 2010

I do agree that TMC is nothing but a scam. YES THEY DO CHEAT PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR PAYCHECKS. MY HUSBAND WORKED THERE FOR TWO WEEKS AND HE HAS YET TO HAVE HIS PAYCHECK SENT TO HIM. EVERYTIME THAT HE CALLS HE IS TOLD THAT IT WAS SENT IN THE MAIL. I live in Sanford and the last time I check it does not take weeks to mail something that is in the same city. I also agree that the people that are up here talking about how good a company this is is probably in on the scam too. I also worked there and I am sitting here wondering if I am going to get my paycheck. You do not need to go to the BBB the proper place to place a complaint at is the Department of Labor. That is what my husband did and they are doing a invesigation as to why people are not getting paid for the time that they worked. It does not matter if you only worked for one hour you are still due your money. My final advice for people that is looking for work: Do not apply at this place just have faith that a job will come along that will allow you to take care of your family without the unneccesary stress!!!

• Pr
      30th of Sep, 2010

The HR department for Total Marketing Concepts is available to help any current or former employee with any issues they may have. Please feel free to contact them with any concerns. Thanks.

• Cr
      18th of Nov, 2010

Personally, while I understand everyone's frustration, making inflammatory remarks are not going to do anything but create problems. If you truly feel something (LEGAL) needs to be done, then by all means, do it.

But spouting off derogatory things like this not only makes people look foolish, but it also creates waves that move in the opposite direction you're pushing.

Right now the wrong people are being blamed for this, and it's ridiculous. Please, get this garbage off and keep complaints to a level of professional legitimacy.

• Ju
      7th of Jan, 2011

The thing that pissed me off the most was riding the bus [2 hours] every morning only to be told that there was only enough work for the suck up people that they liked.[censor] you Amber, Kiss my [censor]. This company is a total scam. You could lie, cuss out the customers, say what ever you wanted as long as you reached the goal for the hour. What kind of world do we live in that this can pass as employment? oh yeah, I forgot, this is Florida.

• Va
      7th of Jan, 2011

Can anyone verify if you only get paid for the time you are on the phone and not getting paid for the time you are not on the phone?

• Wo
      3rd of Dec, 2017

@vaux Yes, you only get paid for the time you are actually logged in on the phone. You are required to log out, each time you go to the bathroom. If you are told to be at work at 11;00, but when you arrive, you are told by the manager to NOT LOG IN, to the computer & phone; then you are NOT BEING PAID, til manager tells you to log in! It's one of the many ways they reduce the hours they need to pay you for. in CA this would be illegal, but in FL the laws are different.

• So
      13th of Jan, 2011

Okay for all the people that are complaining about TMC are [censor]s. I worked for TMC for a short period and not once did I get cheated on my paycheck or hours. Just in case you are wondering why I left in the first place is because I had a custody battle all the way in Virginia and I had to quit to return to Virginia to fight for my kids. My manager understood why I had to leave and told me that when I can afford to move back to Sanford Florida that I would still have a job. So hummmm about TMC being a scam... I don't think so. I would love to work there again if I could ever get a chance to move back. BTW I made great money while I was there.