Timeshare / Fraud, scam, deceiful sales practices, lies, misrepresentation

Greetings to you all,

I am a former employee of a large timeshare company in Mexico. I know all the lies, misrepresentation and deceitful sales pitch they use to scam people who purchase in good faith.

Let me explain you how it works.

The presentation would start by telling the clients that they need to give us a decision at the end. Then, we would have breakfast and ask questions as far as their traveling needs.

In the sales pitch, we were encouraged to offer a rental program (we had a training to learn how it works) where the new owner had the option to rent the weeks they would not use and use the rental money to pay for the timeshare. Also, if the client had a previous timeshare, a broker (Great Sales and Rentals*) would buy it from them so they would not accumulate timeshares. This was a big part of the sales presentation and many of my costumers were excited about these options.

I found latter these two options which made the clients very interested in becoming part of this timeshare, were blatant lies and a fraudulent sales pitch to get people to buy. Then, I started hearing rumors of colleagues making fun of costumers, jokes like "yeah! Like it is going to be rented", "suckers! They bought everything I pitch them!", or the manager stating in one of the meetings: "Sell however you can, we´ll fix it later (It made sense to me later)".

I asked around and confronted my colleagues just to find out that most people in the sales room were part of these scams.
I confronted my sales manager asking him to stop this ordeal and as you might expect, he fired me.

I own a timeshare and have had great memories with my family. Even though the concept of Timeshare is good by itself, some unethical salespeople feel the need to create false expectations, exercising deceitful sales practices just to create an easy buck.

I open this forum and complaint so if you have any questions I can answer please write it down at the bottom and I will answer it with honesty and try to be of help.

*The name of the Rental Company has been change to avoid a potential law suit.

Timeshare salesman in Mexico.

Velas Vallarta, NH Krystal, Palace Resorts, Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan, Sea Garden, Gran Bliss, Villa del Palmar, Flamingos, Allegro, Sunset Group, Royal Holiday, El Cid, Pueblo Bonito, la jolla, torrenza,

Comments

• Fi
      16th of Jul, 2009

Thank you for your honesty. It's sales at the end of the day and they are selling to grown adults. I think people would love to own a timeshare if they really could afford one. There are millions that own and are happy with it. I don't have one now but if i could afford it i think it's a great option rather than staying in hotels not knowing what to expect. I stayed at the royal sunset hotel resort with 2 friends (one of them owns a timeshare there and she can afford it) and i know if i had the money i'd buy one with them too. These resorts are convincing bc they're so beautiful.

• Au
      16th of Jul, 2009

I think what people have to see when it comes to timeshares is it's just like buying a car. They are ok with buying a car (well the ones that can afford it) bc they feel it's a necessity. They feel vacations aren't. Really vacations are necessary too bc everyone needs to take a break (assuming everyone works). Vacations are good for our minds and bodies. I think before a person makes the decision to buy one they should consult with a financial advisor and see if they really could afford it. It's about caring for yourself and pampering yourself. It's not just about a certain lifestyle that everyone desires. I personally have one with sunset group. I'm not rich at all but i know it forces me to go on vacation. If you can afford it you won't have any problems with it but if you can't don't buy it, just like you wouldn't buy that car.

• R2
      24th of Jul, 2009

Hi,
    I am one of the people that fall into the timeshare dream (nightmare) presentation, I made the mistake to accept all kind of gifts and special offers into a very exclusive place Mayan Resorts in Acapulco from a guy that was contacting people in Walmart, I was really interested in knowing what the timeshare had to offer, that was my 2nd mistake, I should go and search first for advise (internet at least), when we arrived there was a first salesman to show the installations, rooms, amenities (just the medium to top grade ones) and then he take us to the salesroom, where a 2nd salesman started to explain the top timeshare options that he think I probably could afford based in a questionare filled with the first salesguy, the first options were not really affordable to me so he went down until the current salesman got to its planned limit, there is when he calls his sales manager, that once it gets informed of the situation and limits starts to find a way to get you into a very special offers (do not tell anybody kind of staff one time deal and should be now or never), they ask you for a total payment (if you can not afford the total there are some financial option like first payment is the 20% of the total and then you can pay like in 5 years the balance @ 1.2% monthly rate, the first payment has also all kind of easy way like 12 payments without interest paying with credit card ( I mad the mistake of bringing 3 different with me) in fact that is one of the requirements to offer you all the gifts. I felt mentally pushed and morally engaged (since there were my wife and kids besides me), finally to get rid of that situation I accepted to charge my credit card I really was expecting the transaction to be rejected since I had open a baucher with the car rental company that practically will not leave space for a charge of 2, 200 dlls, but to my bad luck it got approved. Well that was not all, when I get back to my hotel (by the way we ended with a very bad taste in our mouth and did not use all the gifts and offers they promised), I could not sleep that night thinking in my finance situation was going to be very tight, so looking into the terms and conditions I found that you can cancel the contract between the first 5 days after sign off, so next day I prepare a letter to cancel and went to the Mayan resort, when I presented my decision they got kind of upset and started to tell me that who help me to prepare the letter and which company I made a different agreement or whoever told me something bad against Mayan is lying, so the salesman bring another guy, this guy started with the same questions and finally told me that yes he can start the cancel process but I will loose some money (around 400 dlls) due to the cost of the legal paperworks that needs to be pay for any contract, from here he started to show an alternate scenario so I do not loose anything (my 3rd error to believe in this), so his proposal (not in writing he said can not give it) was that I could get all the money back if I gave him the opportunity to sale my timeshare to a couple from US that was very interested in getting something similar in October (he even mention a family called the cohen´s), he added that also this kind of timeshares could be payed by themselves when you rent the weeks that you are not going to use and probably can get back what I paid in the first 3 weeks I rent, (4th error), also told me that in the midtime I could try to rent my weeks and see by myself that it could be profitable, so thinking in all of that and believing all I desist of the cancellation and get back to my homeplace. After performing a, now too late research I am finding out that is not that easy to rent and neither that profitable, probably I can get some "extra money" but really 1 week just pays for one financed monthly payment, now let me tell you that as another´s comments here, I think if you can afford it it is a good family investment, anyway I believe that there are a lot better and real bargains when you buy a resale by probably the 3rd of the cost, I feel that all these people have a very good convincing techniques that makes you feel that you have made a great deal, because everyone that saw my contract said, "hey this can not be, there should be an error, 3 weeks in a year, no maintenace payment if not use, perpetuity, RCI inscription included the first two years, for a total of 10.5 K dlls, in the Sea Garden you got to be kidding me", so I said hey I am lucky to have this chance, but now I do not feel that lucky and I am thinking seriously to contact G&G or similar.

Miguel

• Me
      20th of Aug, 2009

To add to your list of deceitful scams and timeshare companies that are using the same tactics please add to the top of the list ELFARO RESORTS part of the ENCANTO COLLECTION in Playa Del Carmen Mexico!! We and 35 other couple got scammed and even worse most of us had charges against our credit cards for thousands of $$$ from phoney brokers that were supplied to us through the resorts "top" sales people...today the resort is denying any involvement and we are all filing disputes with credit card companies and Profeco!!!
    BEWARE OF ENCANTO COLLECTION, EL FARO in Playa del Carmen Mexico, they are ruthless and don't give a ###!! only want your hard earned money!!!

• Je
      21st of Mar, 2010

I would like to direct any readers of this posting to go to a website I just published www.universalvacationclubmembers.com and read to your heart's content. It is addressing many issues and concerns with the Villa Group (Developer) and the UVC. If you are a UVC Member and would like to add your name to my UVC Member mailing list, please contact me via the “Contact Us” page on the site or send an email to jeffsuomi1@msn.com. Jeff Robbins.

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

• Fi
      14th of Apr, 2010

Hello!

I am currently working on this company wich is getting some results. If you would please email me i would love to get some info from you and now start getting people behind my idea. my email is hatevelas@gmail.com thank you

• Br
      17th of May, 2013

Most timeshare companies are taking advantage of people, often those who are more vulnerable and less able to resist hard sales tactics. I have heard of many cases where maintenance costs rise well above inflation. It would appear the timeshare companies lock people into contracts and then drive up their profits though increased maintenance charges. It would be good to see legislation whereby timeshare companies can only charge "reasonable" maintenance costs and not use this annual fee to fleece people's bank accounts. PS - I do not own a timeshare, never have and never will unless legislation is introduced to protect buyers. You Forgot to mention the Royal Elite/Sandos resorts. They also use misleading sales tactics. This is a forum with more complaints made on Royal Elite timeshare presentations:

• Ev
      6th of Aug, 2013

Unfortunately, there is virtually no resale market for timeshare anymore. The market has collapsed and the stark truth is that most timeshares are worthless. Ebay is full of timeshare weeks unsold for only $1. The sellers would of course be quite happy to sell for eve less just to rid themselves of timeshare. If you really want to get rid of that timeshare, I recommend you to read this article on how to give away a timeshare:

• Vi
      15th of Aug, 2013

It is the same old story with the Mayan Palace timeshare resorts (owner David Chavez) who does not care about what fraud he perpetrates on timeshare buyers. The same old adage applies, with regard to rental fees applicable, etc. It is fraud and there is right of rescission in Mexico no matter what program you buy, no matter what the horror show salespeople tell you. Heve not met one semi-honest one representing the mayan chain yet. Yes, we got scammed and bought, never again. These are the worst operators in the business. The name of the programs, Mayan Regency, The Dream, Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan, Bliss, Grupo Luxxe change with regard to what they wish to charge. The upshot is if you are down the line in their program name game list you lose benefits. The tiger does not change its stripes. Beware. This is a good article about Mayan Palace:

• Ro
      15th of Dec, 2013

How to cancel timeshare contract? Who should I send a complaint? What are the helping names, websites, telephone numbers of the companies?

• Me
      29th of Jan, 2014

We came for vacation with my husband to Playa del Carmen and purchased two weeks of timeshare in EL FARO last year. When we came back to use our time we were very surprised when the front desk denied us the access and told us that we bought AIR !!! Seems strange to me that we saw same people selling timeshare at the front steps of the building and yet the management of El Faro saying that it is a scam. Please someone explain to me how can it be? Timeshare company says that our time is valid but some company named Norcana Enterprises is now managing the complex and denying the validity of our purchase. If it is so then why do they allow timeshare sales right from the same complex unless they are in on this together. I am so confused right now. Please someone help me to find the truth. Who is Norcana Enterprises? We are ready to sue.

• Pl
      5th of Feb, 2014

just read this Playa news

• Na
      21st of Mar, 2014

Timeshares are clearly not for most people, however, they are constantly offered to anyone who is on vacations. Although there are lots of people who agree going to the presentation just to get the freebies, unfortunately, many of them end up falling for the trap. http://www.timesharescam.com/

• Op
      18th of Jul, 2014

And it's time to take action. Time for a revolt of the disgruntled timesleaze owners. This is a WORLD WIDE PLAGUE, and it isn't going to stop until the PO -d owners take action and stop the madness.More negative publicity, more pi$$ed off people, and perhaps a little news media coverage too. Has anyone thought about making a good video to post on you-tube? Maybe a good SALES PRESENTATION video exposing the type of BS practices these jerks employee. A really good video gone viral would be fantastic, and might get a lot of peoples attention.

• Eu
      23rd of Oct, 2014

Thousands of International travelers, particularly from the US and Canada, have fallen victims of timeshare fraud while vacationing. Resort developers hire skilled salesmen to represent their timeshares as many different attractive packages, such as financial investments, deeded properties, or vacation clubs, just to increase their sales. http://www.timesharescam.com/

• Eu
      17th of Nov, 2014

Timeshares have always been a bad buy. But for those who really feel they need one I make one recommendation: Never buy from the developer. Always wait for timeshares to appear on the secondary market, usually at half-price. People like you get excited at the new developments and jump right in, only to become disillusioned later and dump the property onto the secondary market, at a loss, for a patient, informed buyer to take advantage of. http://timesharescam.com/

• Th
      8th of May, 2015

My parents had a timeshare and those guys lied to them about everything imaginable. First of all after you pay them, you can never get ahold of them again. NO PHONE CALLS, NO EMAIL. Its like they dont exsist. They stole there time and there money. It was an absolute nightmare situation for them! I felt so bad for them and so mad that they were being taken advantage of. So luckily I found Aronson Law Group and they were wonderful. They fixes all my parents problems in a timely manner. If you are having the same nightmarish experience like they were, I highly recommend you check out Aaronsonlawgroup.com and get yourself out of the nightmare!

• Bi
      18th of Aug, 2016
    Timeshare - Scammers, beware!
    World Timeshare

World Timeshares, Inc.called me with a "Big" success story on selling TimeShares. Steve White convinced me to buy their service in June of 2006: Paid $499: Stating they had a few prospective buyers and they will call me back with an offer: it's 2010 and I haven't heard of him since: they Do Not return Phone calls or inquiries: I searched the internet and noticed on BBB site that they started another business at 1 South Ocean Blvd., Ste. 304, Boca Raton, FL 33432, (561) 393-5071; their website doesn't show up: http://www.timesharetravels.net : New contact person, if he can be found is David Cohen - President and they Started that one a year after they took my money! Business Start Date: 7/16/2007 ~ Company ID: 7004614

• Rc
      18th of Aug, 2016
    Timeshare - NO results
    Timeshare Partners

Time Share Partners are nothing more than a scam. I was desperately seeking help selling out my time share and they told me that for a sale price of $1000 they could help me sell my time share. Well its been over a year and I have not heard or had any contact with this company. Please don't fall into this scam as I did. They will tell you all kinds of lies and make promises. Bottom line is that I am still waiting to see results.