Thrive Learning Institute / Awful experience

I signed up for Internet training on eBay and was sold a bill of goods. The problem is in their aggressive sales techniques - and they are responsible for the call centers they contract to sell for them. Thrive Learning promises you can make your money back in 2-3 months, but in fact they have a success rate which is about 1 in 10, 000 actually doing so - and that's ever, not just within 3 months.

I complained after the training was complete, because I didn't actually learn anything that I hadn't already known. Their training at that time mostly consisted of how to set up their proprietary sitebuilding software - which can take you weeks or months to actually build your site on a part-time basis. You are charged additional monthly fees for site hosting and programs - but can't actually move your site without rebuilding it again. There are several free programs that come with most web hosts that you can use for site building - much better than Thrive's version.

As well, all of the training that Thrive offers can be found on the Internet for free. So being charged several thousand to be "coached" and another $40 per month for site hosting is excessive.

The scam continues as they sell you add-on programs and "services" such as credit-card processing, site marketing reviews, and PPC advertising. Some have even been offered the creation of a Montana S-corporation. I've read of people going into $30-$50, 000 in debt with nothing to show for it. (I was "lucky" in this regard.)

They do not have their refund policy stated on their website and it is not covered in their telemarketing pitch. This is an FTC violation. As well, Thrive Learning is a "fulfillment center" for at least 20 other scams - and so could be investigated under RICO statutes for racketeering.

Utah call centers contributed around 1/4 of the Utah Attorney General's election campaign - but are not being prosecuted for known complaints. The manager for Thrive Learning is also associated with these other Utah call centers.

All of this is publically available information.

Another tactic they use is to string you along until your credit card company is unwilling to do a charge-back (usually about two months). While Utah requires any company to refund within a 3-day period, often your training doesn't start until after that time, so you won't find out you're scammed until the State can no longer enforce that statute.

If anyone is approached by Thrive Learning, the best thing to do is to hang up immediately.

De

Comments

• Li
      20th of Jul, 2009

Your comments are so true about Thrive Learning scam.

That's right...hang up on anyone trying to sell you anything about building a business on line, or coaching.

Many people who purchase packages from Thrive Learning end up losing their hard earned thousands of $$$$$ to lining the pockets of Colton Moody CEO of Summit Group/manager/owner of Thrive Learning and CEO David R Rasmussen of Thrive Learning along with some of their other cover up crooks.

• Ut
      23rd of Jul, 2009

all of the thrive comments follow a general pattern. I hope others can learn from your experience.

• Ko
      19th of Aug, 2009

@utahconsumeradvocate,

Why can't Utah enforce their own code, like Title 13?

I can't believe that companies are allowed to lie and are not required to comply with the law. Why should consumers be required to comply with Thrive's contract when Thrive and its sales floors are not required to comply with the law of the state they operate from.

Fines don't do it - for the few people who have the means to complain, it's a small price to pay for all the other money they are raking in from those who don't know that they can or should complain.

Free enterprise is one thing, but false advertising is another.

• El
      27th of Aug, 2009

I gave Thrive $17, 000.00 a year ago, and I've seen very little return. Finally made two sales this week, and made $20.00 after hiring another firm to help me. I'm paying $500.00 per month on my credit card trying to pay back the money. The stress has been so bad, I became very ill and had to retire on disability. I receive $1, 500.00 per month, from disability so things are very hard.
    Thrive or Strategic Wealth referred me to another company and suggested that in order to make money I should liquidate my IRA account, and invest in property in Nevada. Bad mistake. One of the properties went belly up and the company said they would return $44, 000+ of my money. I called the company three days ago, and I was sent to voice mail. Haven't heard from them since.

Elizabeth Kelly RNHoneyDu@msn.com