Thomas Hardy / thomas hardy rental scam

2-5 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I was emailed by a "Thomas Hardy" on june 5 2017 at 4:59 pm after i posted a kijiji ad looking for an apartment i. Almonte ontario. He claimed he was an oncologist and that he graduated from St.Georges University of London. In the uk. He sent pictures of the unit. Didnt tell us the address asked us to write a kijiji ad for his wifes other rental in ottawa. We did reverse searches and found the pics were stolen from air bnb and another vacation tental site for condos in toronto. Of course we knew it was too good to be true for $750 a month. We found out thomas hardy was a novelist that wrote romanticism and poetry. He died in 1928 or something. The scammers email is romancer4w@gmail.com. i emailed to confront him with screenshots of what i found. No communication now. His phone number that he gave me is [protected] a toronto area code.

Fa
Jun 7, 2017

Comments

• Ta
      13th of Jul, 2017

Just happened to me to! He sent the EXACT same images and he was going by the name Terry Walsh in Guelph! I'm so glad you posted this because I couldnt find a way to disprove it till I reverse searched one of the photos and came across this! Thank you!

• Al
      14th of Aug, 2017

@Tanaika Bisschop Same thing to me, he used the name Curtis Adams

• Ka
      22nd of Jul, 2017

Same thing happened to me as well. He was going by the name Curtis Adams and claimed to be a surgeon from London UK. Thought something was off right away but played along and gave him bogus information when asked to fill out an application. He wanted me to send a deposit through a third party company and the company would send me a copy of the lease and the keys to the "apartment". Just did a reverse Google image search on one of the photos he sent me and it brought me to this site.

• Th
      2nd of Aug, 2017

THANK YOU . OMG I FIND IT SKETCHY AND HE WAS DRAGGING THE THIRD PARTY COMPANY IN and I feel like I should search his phone number and I got this. He called himself as John Edmonds and he said the exact same thing .

20th of Aug, 2017

I got an email from this guy after he posted this apartment on Kijiji! He was going by Dave Aspen in London, Ontario and gave the number 1-807-788-7214 (email aspen01101@gmail.com). I thought it would be too good to be true! Thanks for the warning!

• Je
      29th of Oct, 2017

Oct 27, 2017 - Thank you guys for these posts. Just started inquiring about one of his adds. Seemed too good to be true so I did an image search and found these comments! He was posting for an apartment in Guelph Ontario (Quebec Street). Using the name Timothy Baird. Email (me0144tb@gmail.com). Phone number (807) 788-7214. and again posted on Kijiji. I added all the images he used in this post...

• Sj
      5th of Jan, 2018

I got this exact message but he called himself "Martin Smith", he said he and his wife were the owners of the apartment. The apartment was apparently located in Surfers Paradise, QLD (Australia). He had an ad on Gumtree titled "GLKN Broadbeach Gold Coast Hospital 2+1, study room apt (Laycock Street, SURFERS PARADISE QLD 4217)" which I sent an email about, asking if it was still available. He replied a few days later (photos attached). A few of these photos were similar (bathroom, green bed, laundry) but kitchen and living photos were of a different apartment. Silly me replied back asking if it's possible to view the apartment, obviously i'm waiting for an excuse reply back! Luckily I didn't fill out any application or give him any personal details. His email address is marmith49@gmail.com

do not trust the email marmith49@gmail.com 6477942066
    he claimed to be martin smith a doctor in the UK his apartments he was renting was less than 1000
    he claimed to need help with ads selling his wifes apartment i searched for the hospital he claimed for work at and no one with his name works there
    please dont fall for the scam he asks for family pictures but i believe he uses that to send to other people
    his application was not a normal application only asked name number current address and family photo
    based off that he said i was a perfect candidate
    do not fall for the scam

@jvr67u06 i got the exact message different apartment as "sjamjd" got

Pictures of his scam

• Pu
      11th of Jun, 2018

Wow, same thing happened to me! Posting all the photos he sent me here incase he sends the same pictures to someone else.
    He called himself Brad Stevens, and his email address was blutsy55@gmail.com
    He even sent me a picture of a family he said was his.
    I also got the same story about being a doctor, living with his family in London, asking me to post on kijiji, etc.
    Hopefully this will help someone else avoid the scam.

• Sc
      13th of Jun, 2018

Fook you Brad Stevens. I will cum in you!!!

• Pa
      8th of Nov, 2018

@Scam Fooker his phone number is 647-394-1944

• Op
      18th of Jul, 2018

Same deal here. A Kijiji ad for an apartment in downtown Kitchener. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

• Gr
      17th of Oct, 2018

Wow! Reverse-searched one of the images he sent me of the apartment and found this website. Passed himself as Dave Wilmot. I knew it was fishy the moment he involved a 3rd party company to take care of the transfer of money. Price was far too low to be real (downtown Ottawa, $929/month for a 2BDR with finishing imitating the newest buildings of the city). Included screenshots from emails he sent!

• Ke
      22nd of Oct, 2018

Just realized my boyfriend and I were about to be scammed by the same person claiming to be “Samuel Wilter” that’s currently living in Croatia but renting a 3 bedroom downtown Whitby. He claims that he inherited the apartment from his grandfather, and that he’s renting it out until his twin granddaughters are older (currently 1 year old).

The place looked like a dream come true. But, looking at the other comments on this website proves that he copy and pastes the same information but changes the name and location.

As soon as he had mentioned the “3rd party” to make the transaction, I started to have doubts. I went to Western Union as requested and inquired about this. The store manager told me this is fraudent and that she refused to have me send the money to this man. Immediately, I was devistated but did more investigation. I went to my bank to inquire about the “3rd party” and was told that it was also fraudulent. I drove to the street that was posted on Kijiji as he also took down the ad.
    THERE WAS NO APARTMENT! It didn’t even exist.

I truly hope that no one gets scammed by this cruel person. I’m just glad that I started to notice the red flags before it was too late. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE THAT IS TRYING TO GET YOU TO PAY MONEY BEFORE VIEWING A PLACE IN PERSON! Thank goodness I never gave this person a single cent.

• Bl
      16th of Nov, 2018

The same thing just happened to me. I'm recently widowed, living in Victoria, BC, and got the exact same pictures as above. Today he is going by Mark Roberts. Unbelievable. When I saw the pics I too thought they were too good to be true so did a reverse search on one of them and luckily found this website. Thanks to all who posted because I was going to reply to him.

• Fa
      21st of Nov, 2018

Also was contacted by a "Mark Roberts" and exchanged a few emails. Trying to sell a fake rental in Toronto and claiming he was a 58 year old surgeon graduated from Kings College of London in the UK. His wife's name was "Marie". Email exchanges are basically a copy and paste of what people posted above. He also asked me to post a kijii address for his wife's apartment.

Email address he used was: markrberts44@gmail.com
    Everyone please post the fake images he uses here to prevent others from wasting their time talking to this person.

23rd of Nov, 2018

@fakerentals He's also going by Adam Lewis. Same doctor in the UK story, same photos, claims the apartment is in Ottawa.

23rd of Nov, 2018

He posted a Kijiji ad recently for an apartment in Ottawa. Claimed he got the apartment from his "hero" father who passed away. He used the email lewis07adm@gmail.com. Said he has a wife called Marie, an adult son, and twin granddaughters. I've attached all the photos I could. I found this page by reverse image-searching the "family photos" he sent. I was suspicious that the bedroom photo was much better quality than the photos of the kitchen.

I'll post his first email below in case anyone googles it:

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my announcement.

I know sometimes it can be tough to find the right place to settle
    down, but to help me serve you better, please find attached some
    information which I hope you'll find useful;

This charming apartment looks exactly like in the pictures ( please
    check out the photos below, I've attached some recent pictures ), is
    fully furnished, finished with all the high grade finishings, sunny
    and very spacious... when you'll come into this apartment, you're
    welcomed by tons of natural light, an open living area and chef's
    kitchen, with all facilities/utilities; ( dishwasher, refrigerator,
    stove, oven, juice machine, iron, toaster, coffee maker, microwave,
    vacuum cleaner, central air, stainless steel appliances ).

- You can rent the apartment for short term, ( can be month to
    month, minimum stay 3 month ) or long term ( maximum stay 6 / 7 years

- The rent is for the whole apartment, no shared accommodation,
    $800.00/month, ( the price is NOT different if there are more people,
    because the amount is distributed between the residents ).

- The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for
    the whole period that the contract will be signed for.

- All of the utility costs are included in the rental fee amount (
    gas, water, cable, electricity, wireless/Internet, 2 parking spaces,
    in-suite washer/dryer and 1 storage unit to store extra stuff ). The
    cost for telephone line, including long-distance charges, is not
    included in "all inclusive" arrangement.

- No worries about pets, as long as you'll make clean up after them.

- If you have your furniture, I've the option of sending all my
    things into a storage room. I'll contact a removals company, no
    additional cost for you.

My name is Adam Lewis, I'm the owner and if you are looking for a
    great apartment, in an awesome location, this place may be for you!

12th of Dec, 2018

God bless google search image!!!
    Mine was Thomas palmer, same pictures, same story, trying to sell a fake rental in Montreal and claiming he was a 58 year old surgeon graduated from Kings College of London in the UK. His wife's name was "Julie" ... but I made a mistake by sending my pictures!
    He asks me, as a favor, to post an add in Kijiji and Graiglist, because he coundn't, for an another condo's Wife in Toronto...
    I regret it and delete it !! So be careful!