ThinkVacuums.com / ThinkVacuums return policy screws a reasonable customer!

I ordered a central vacuum accessory (called a non-powered vacuum head, along with a 35-foot hose, and hose sock). I asked questions of the Thinkvacuum sales people when I originally placed the order if the non-powered head would work on berber carpet and shorter carpets. I was told by their representatives that this was exactly what the non-powered head was designed for.

I received the unit only after about 3 weeks of waiting, when I was originally told all the items were in stock. Once I unpacked the unit, I hooked it up to see if it did in fact work on short carpet. I tried it on an area rug and the unit just bounced up and down as I pulled it backwards across the carpet. I only vacuumed about a 6 foot long swath once. I unplugged the unit and immediately called the company. Their representative (the owner's wife) refused to give me a full refund saying that I had used the unit and it was no longer in new condition.

I responded and said that I had only just taken it out of the box and vacuumed only one 6 foot long swath before determining it didn't work as they had advertised. I was patient and consistent but she became belligerent and I told her that it was only fair that they return the full purchase price. She indicated they would not since I had told her I had used the unit. She attempted to hold me hostage and tried to sell me a more expensive unit, more expensive by $200, and said that if I paid them more money they might consider giving me full credit on the unit I wanted to return.

I wasn’t about to be held hostage, so I asked for a return authorization number, which she provided, and then she hung up on me! Even after returning the item they did not process a credit. Only after calling them over a month later did they agree to provide any sort of credit. And even though the unit was perfectly clean, and no one could look at it and determine it was used, they would only refund my purchase price less a 20% restocking fee. Their website says they provide a 30 day full money back guarantee, unless the unit has been used. But in my defense, based on the advice of their own sales people, how could I ever determine if the unit would work unless I tried it for a very short period distance over the carpet I described to them when I bought the unit in the first place.

I received the unit on February 6th, 2006 and sent it back via UPS that same day. Thinkvacuums received the unit on February 9th, 2006, per UPS’s website tracking reference.

I returned the unit at my own expense in the original box. I took great care to make sure that everything was as I originally received. I even took the vacuum head and cleaned it thoroughly. The only real cleaning required was just to remove a little dust inside the non-powered head unit. It isn’t possible for anyone to look at the unit I returned and think that it was ever used. I didn’t have to be honest with them on the phone, I certainly could have returned the unit in its original box and never told them that I tried the unit and it didn’t work as they advertised it, but that would not have been fair. So much for being honest and upfront.

I was even willing to pay them the shipping cost they should have incurred, which would be equal to or less than what I paid to ship it to them, a whopping total of $21.28. Only after I contacted them after 30 days did they agree to process a credit, and for 20% less than what I paid. The owner’s wife even told me she was being nice because she could also charge me for shipping costs. This outfit is not worth doing business with. Go to your local store and buy something where customer service matters. It’s well worth the extra cost you might incur.

Je

Comments

• Th
      6th of Feb, 2013

We are sorry for the inconvenience, This is one of those situations where you have to see both sides. We definitely understand your point that you just used it for 5 mins. The problem is that after we get the package back here get it processed and logged, we have to sell it as a used unit. That means that we lose money on it. That means that we had to pay people to locate the product, pack it, ship it, get customer service to note everything, wait for the package, examine it, clean it, and then sell it for a loss because it was used. Do you understand? i would love to be able to make this up to you so we can still have you as a customer. We didnt see this post until 2013 sorry..