Summit Tax Research

Summit Business & Tax Research
Las Vegas, Nevada
Phone: 360-314-6274
columbiafinancialtax.com
When I first hired Summit Research to complete my taxes, they guaranteed me in writing that their tax preparation practices of using Blackbriar investments, LLC, Tahoe North Investments, LLC, and Sierra Pacific, LLC are completely permitted by the tax laws. In this guarantee, the CEO of the company Ron V Strawn, assured me that he would assist me for free if I happen to get audited for any reason.

Since many of their clients are likely being audited, the company is attempting to release itself of any liabilities and has changed its name, now called Columbia Financial and Tax Services, Inc. and South Coast Financial and Tax Services, Inc. Also many employees have been replaced, But Ron Strawn still remains. Now that I am being audited, the new company does not want to honor its obligations, instead wants to offer their services for $1, 500- $4, 000 for audit assistance. It seems like they caused a problem, and are now wanting to benefit from it. They are now even claiming they never offered any such guarantee in writing.

I know there are many past Summit Research clients (I know of two others myself) in the same current situation. If you are experiencing this, please post any relevant information on this complaint form so others can view; or directly send me a private message: shouldbetold@hotmail.com

Together we need to find a company that can assist us. A tax attorney or advisor that you were able to find, that could help the rest of us. Or the methods of going after this company for damages. Please feel free to share your thoughts here.

Company information:

Summit Tax Research Inc
5940 South Rainbow Blvd, Ste 100
Las Vegas, NV
151 KALMUS DR # 250
COSTA MESA, CA 92626
949-250-9944 (disconnected)

Columbia Financial and Tax Services, Inc.
South Coast Financial and Tax Services, Inc.
9901 NE 7th Ave, Suite C120
Vancouver, WA 98685
4500 Campus Drive, Suite 608
Newport Beach, CA 92660
360-314-6274
360-314-6470
Complaint comments Comments (172) Complaint country United States Complaint category Tax Services

Comments

A  25th of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Thank you for posting this complaint. I was a first time (and last time) client of Summit Tax and I'm now being audited due to the tax return that Ron Strawn prepared for me. He held my tax documentation and return hostage and made me pay exponentially more than what we discussed before he would release my tax documentation and file my return. Then when I noticed things that didn't make sense on the tax return he prepared, he was unreachable and I was told by his associates that I would be charged extra if I wanted to even ask him a question, or to amend the return that he filed incorrectly in the first place. I hope that our posts will help more of us in this situation find each other and track this criminal down.
N  28th of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Since posting my original complaint 5 days ago, i have received 4 emails from other Summit Research Tax clients. I am now aware of a total of 11 people that have used this company, that are now being audited. They all have the same exact story.

Lets not be silent. Share your story, findings, and progress here or send me a direct message shouldbetold@hotmail.com

seekingjustice- I can easily believe your story. Feel free to send me a message and let me know what your current plans are with this audit.

Additional company phone numbers:
949-336-7300
949-336-7301
N  28th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
this also happened to me. both scenarios of being in an audit process.. as well as him holding my taxes hostage the last time i went. he wouldn't release them until i payed an additional fee. that was the last time i went there. many people were scammed by this guy. i have certificates, receipts, and many newsletters that were sent to make me feel as if what he was doing was legal. now all the sudden i am dealing with massive tax ammendment dollars that will wipe me out completely. i don't think the irs will have any mercy regarding this..
A  29th of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Wow - I worked for this slime ball when I was fresh out of college. He was in AZ at the time, a total dick to work for, and yes, very crooked. I only worked there about six months... we all knew bad things were going on, but he would threaten to stop payment on your last check if you ever quit, and our checks bounced often so we all were trying our best to find new jobs in what we thought at the time was a bad economy (2002). I really hoped he was in prison by now, along with his wife Penny who was charged with forgery in 2001 (page 8: http://www.supreme.state.az.us/cld/pdf/04262004%20minutes.pdf). They are horrible people and I hope somehow they get what is coming to them. I know he hires young females and makes big promises, then fires them (or has the most brainwashed employee fire them) until he rotates through a whole staff. He also plays games with the banks, making phony deposits to cover payroll etc. and he was posing as an attorney in AZ even though he had never passed the BAR. I really can't believe he is still alive. Oh, and if it helps, the business names he used back then were: Sierra Pacific, Sierra Coastal Group, True North America, Sierra Incorporations... I am sure there are more.

see also cease and desist:
Ronald V. Strawn; dba Strawn Consulting Group et al.
Maricopa
12/14/2005
CV2005-012353

Sierra Incorporations.com
1005 Terminal Way 242
Reno, NV 89502
(775)323-6888
A  30th of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
We and everyone we know are also going through this. Ron Strawn also assured all of us verbally and in writing that his tax prep methods were legal and ethical. Now we have been accessed massive penalties and interest and are having to pay other firms to try and sort through this mess. We probably will never recover from this. We have been told that he made sure he cannot be held responsible personally for any of this, and since we signed the returns we alone are responsible.
Can anyone help all of us make him accountable?
N  31st of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I too have been screwed my Ron V. Strawn and so have 4 of my friends. We all have the same stories and been told the same lies by this guy. Some of us have thought of getting a tax attorney and going after Ron for what he has done to us. If anyone has done this already please let us know responed with your comment. Lets not let Ron live fat and happy in his Canadian home while the rest of us have to go throught the worest time in our lives.
N  1st of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Yes...I would like to know what Steve Mather has given as consultation on this issue (another post on this site has given him as a reference SRM@taxdisputes.com). Apparently there are many others (over 50 for sure .maybe 100, 200??) that are in the same boat...most people have sought counsel and are being told the deductions are not allowed and you will owe everything back to the IRS including penalties and interest. The appeal process might alleviate the penalties...case closed.

It seems everyone is scattered out there trying to do thier own thing to take care of this incredibly stressful situation. I would think an experienced tax attorney would view dozens of clients in a different light than 1 or 2.

several different people going to several differnt cousultants ALL with the same issue probably receiving different outcomes ( settling for less or paying the full amount +plus ! ) as well as setting a precedent for the IRS

Your team is only as strong as its weakest link.

I am sure Ron Strawn, and his business is preparing(or has) to protect himself to the fullest while all his clients try to figure out what to do.

would like to form a list of clients approach Steve Mather (or another) and discuss the situation and get the ball rolling.

exclientsofronvstrawn@hotmail.com

nobody want to pay a consultant any more than they have to

nobody wants to pay the IRS more than they have to
A  3rd of Apr, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I started this discussion on https://www.complaintsboard.com because I new there were others out there in the same situation as myself, and unfortunately I was right. On a positive note, this allows all of us to work together in finding solutions and updates to our current FTB/IRS issues and additional information on the scams orchestrated by Ron Strawn.

After meeting with a handful of reputable tax attorneys and CPAs, and communicating with now a dozen Ron Strawn victims; everyone is in agreement that the best course of action for now is to choose option 1 and amend the affected tax years.

I agree with "ActionvsRonVStrawn", and it would be best to use either a tax attorney or CPA that has other Ron Strawn victims cases that they are working on. This allows additional leverage for the group, and if the CPA is successful with one client, that same case can be made for the rest of the group.

I have decided to work with a CPA who is fully experienced when it comes to FTB and IRS audits. He is also prepared to negotiate with the FTB/IRS for the penalty fees. Currently he has a handful of Ron's clients he is working with, which could again help our case.

He has agreed to offer a reduces price for his services, for clients that are in this situation. His rate is $350-400, for each tax year amended. This cost will be discounted further depending on the number of years needing to be amended. He will not only amend, but look for missed deductions, to minimize the taxes owed. Price also includes both FTB & IRS amendments together. He recommends only sending the amendment to the agency that is currently contacting you; however keeping the paperwork ready if the other agency comes knocking later.

Contact info:
mostofi@mostofi.com
(mention you were referred by Paul, for the pricing above)

I would still recommend you do your research if you have not done so. I just wanted to provide an option to the people that are looking for guidance.

After we resolve our tax issues and get the FTB and IRS off of our backs, then we should all discuss strategies on how we can recover our damages from Ron and his bogus companies. As of right now, i think this is very premature to do, since we technically do not know how much damage he has caused each of us. I would recommend that we keep all documents, emails, etc that Ron, Summit, Columbia, So Coast have provided us, as this could be valuable later in the civil or possibly criminal case against them. Another recommendation, lets not threaten Ron and his new employees too much, as this may backfire and cause them to flee and open up shop somewhere else. We already know that they are professional scammers and are not willing to help any of us, instead are still trying to continue defrauding with the same technique from the past. Lets let them think that no one is on to them. Lets be smart with our posts and the specific actions we take, as Ron has proven to all of us how he can take advantage of anyones weakness.

For now, lets focus our attention and minimize our losses with the FTB/IRS. I hope we will all soon put this behind us.

Anyone can feel free to send me a private message: shouldbetold@hotmail.com; or post additional information on this forum for all to see.
N  5th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I am extremely glad to have found this and to know that Ron's clients are now catching on to his scams. I was a previous employee of Rons in the last year, and I would be interested in speaking with and providing information to any of you on what I know. Please feel free to contact me and let me know. As an employee, I have suffered great duress and financial damages because of Ron Strawn. You may contact me at mnopjkl@hotmail.com if you would like to discuss this further. I do not feel comfortable posting too much information on a public board where he or his current ignorant employees may find it. Please contact me and I will correspond with you via mass email.
N  6th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have been in contact with this law firm that Ron has boasted of using back up his claims that what he is doing is legal. They have told me that they have never worked with him on this, nor are they condoning his claims. He sent out a newsletter recently listing their name as "in association" with. I went to their website and contacted them. This is a big firm, Chicoine and Hallet and they likely will not take his using their good name and smearing it lightly...please contact them also and let them know if you have received this newsletter from Ron and his companies or if you have been told that Chicoine and Hallet, a law firm in Seattle has backed Ron up on the use of Blackbriar and Tahoe. If there is anyone to shut him down, they have the power to do it. These attorneys were federal tax judges.

You may email them here:

Darrell Hallett
Ph: 206.223.0800
Email: dhallett@c-hlaw.com

Robert Chicoine
Ph: 206.223.0800
Email: rchicoine@c-hlaw.com

Please also email me if you would like to join my mass email correspondence to stay in the loop.

mnopjkl@hotmail.com
Please visit this site.

Newsletters that Ron has sent and information will be provided about his activities.
N  6th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hello. I am currently using Tom Brandilla CPA to handle my ron strawn issue. he already has a dozen clients and is in the process of appealing the penalty with the ftb. he has been in this process for months now. you should contact him as well and consider his services.

he has built a file of newsletters, guarantees, letters, etc from strawn to his clients and is providing this supporting evidence to all of the auditors he is dealing with in order to build the case.

his contact info is:

www.dbbmckennon.com
Phone: (949) 203-3010
A  6th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hello,
I am at work and havent' had a chance to read through everyone's comments, but this is ridiculous! I am so glad to see taht we were all under the same impression.
I had my audit "examination" 2 weeks ago and the final meeting with the IRS next week. I hope that theree is something we can do.
N  6th of Apr, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I have been working with a CPA firm in Newport who have been working on serveral of Strawn's cases. They have collected evidence on bogus contract, certificate and letters that Strawn's companies have sent out. So far they have uncovered AZ (Sierra) Pacific, Blackbriar, & Tahoe North Investments (2 which are bogus and one that has never filed tax returns). They are going back and forth with the CA State agent and IRS agent who are involved. They amended my taxes and found deductions and errors on my original returns to reduce my tax liabilities. They told me once we can come to a final number w/ the agent then we can begin the negotiation process. They said that there would be no appeal process because there is no argument, due to the fact that the companies were fraudulant. You would not want it to go to appeals court anyways because of the high retainer amount you'd have to pay a lawyer. They charge based on how many years need to be amended and negotiating process to bring total amount (penalties and interest) down by 40% and option for low monthly pmt. I'm uemployed and barely surviving, they told me that they would work with me and allow me to make pmts. They actually care about their clients and are avaible on weekends as well. If it weren't for them I don't know how I would have gotten through this.

If you need a good CPA with one on one experience and care about what you're going through, then you need to contact these guys:

www.info@strategyonecg.com
Phone: (949) 502-5777
N  7th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hello Distressed Victim. Just as a quick response to your comment, Tom Brandilla CPA is not trying to appeal the taxes with the FTB for me. He is simply trying to appeal the 20% penalty only because of the situation and the number of cases. The taxes will have to be paid.

And for Strawn..I hope he does flee the country if he already hasn't. If he goes to jail here I just have to pay more taxes to pay for him to live in a cell. I'd rather he go to some other country and get the heck out of here. He's already screwed my taxes enough.
N  7th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Has anyone completed the 'process' and has settled with the IRS/FTB ?

it seems everyone is still working with a CPA/Tax Attorney, and or appealing

Does anyone want to share any comments about what to expect ?

I have not gone through any 'process' yet, but expect to

Thanks !

also...you can E-mail me at exclientsofronvstrawn@hotmail.com
A  7th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
My husband and I have amended our 2007 and 2008 taxes this year and we owed everything back with penalties and interest. I'm pretty sure that the IRS has a clue about what is going on but I don't think they have enough people to go after him becuase he is constantly moving. It is up to us. I started doing reserch on Ron Strwan a year ago when I connacted a CPA and started asking questions about what was on our tax forms. I knew something wasn't right! There was almost no information about him or his scandulous wife. I tried to google every name from his company and contacted them but the line was disconnected. That was my initial hunch that something wasn't right!
This CPA knew almost everything about Ron without even me telling my story. The more we talk about this ### the better. I have tried contacting Couth Coast or Columbia ( or whatever they are calling themselves) several times and no one has called me back or sometimes don't even answer the phone!
I don't know what to do, because I feel as though we trusted this guy and when we went to Ron, we were young and naive as to think that this sort of thing was legal. He assured us that it was absolutly legal. I'm so glad this site is up and I have checked out the other sites posted and they are a great start.
A  7th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I to am an ex employee. I worked for Ron this past year. Every one who was in the new office last year was there for less than 3 months then let go because of lack of funds, and by then we knew to much about him and his shady ways. Everything turnd sour the minute everyone in the office realized Ron was a crook and what we were doing was wrong. I am really sorry and I hope everyone here can come together and get Ron.

I don't think he can legally leave the country, so they will find him. Rest assured that I have been in contact with IRS agents and Ron will not be getting away with his. I will contact the agent I am woking with to see if I can post his info. The more people to speak out against him the better!
A  7th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I was referred to Ron by an old employer in 2007. My other bosses and several people in the office used him as well. He amended my 2004, 2005 and 2006 taxes. At the time I had no reason to not trust him. He had come highly recommended. And of course Ron himself assured me what he was doing was acceptable practice and if ever a problem he would be there to help. I was so naive. That was three years ago; since then I was laid off from my escrow job; spent nine months unemployed; we lost our house; lost our car; and last year had to file a chapter 7 BK. Currently we are not even making it paycheck to paycheck. Then in February of this year I received the letter from the FTB. Devastation is the only word I can think of. I can really understand how people feel that suicide is a viable option. I spoke to a tax attorney, she wanted to charge me almost $5000 to amend the taxes and arrange payment plans with the FTB and IRS. At times while going through this I have never felt so alone. This was suppose to be a year of rebuilding and moving forward at times I feel like I am failing as a husband and father. I think I am going to have a tax service company similiar to H&R Block amend the amended taxes and then try to work with FTB and IRS on payment plans myself. Right now it is just Faith in God pulling us through.
N  7th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
http://justiceforvictimsron.blogspot.com/2010/04/links-and-useful-information.ht... />
Check this out! It is very helpful!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree