Spectrum Home Furnishing / Dishonest people rip off
Spectrum Home Furnishings Company, Farmingdale, NJ. and greatchandeliers.com on ebay: You should stay away from this company like the plague! Reasons?
FRAUD, UNLAWFUL PRACTICE, MISREPRESENTATION, CHARGED FOR ITEMS NOT RECEIVED, INCOMPLETE ORDER, to name a few!
I would like to post a complaint about the Spectrum Home Furnishings Company / NJ (they are located in New Jersey but also do internet business and they have numerous company names and websites, all of which I will try and list here.
Here is my horror story...... of the "top ten (and more) list" of "Things that are sure to happen to you if you buy from Spectrum Home Furnishings":
This company is full of dishonest people that are in business solely to rip people off, in my opinion. They probably laugh all the way to ther bank because there is always the next sucker to rip off as they do business on the internet, including ebay auctions, and they also have ads in most major decorating magazines. Although there are consumer laws to protect us (and they are directly breaking some of the NJ laws) they seem to know just how to get around it. Meaning, they know how the credit card companies work with complaints against them... which is almost stacked in their favor as it takes months and months of keeping track of the complaint BY THE PURCHASER because credit card
companies give 1-2-3 months for them to resolve the issue etc.
I can state this because of my nightmare experience with this company. I am STILL dealing with trying to get my money back for these misrepresented and broken junk that they call chandeliers! To top it off the people there are rude and crude! I read all the complaints already posted by others on https://www.complaintsboard.com and I has similar experiences with their nasty replies during phone calls etc. Wish I had known about complaints.com before I bought from Spectrum! Well hopefully MY complaint will steer you clear away from these dishonest people. I am simply amazed that they remain in business though...since they are breaking many laws, namely many in their own state of NJ! I suggest writing to the officials there. I certainly plan on doinf that.
Spectrum is located in New Jersey but also do internet business and they have numerous company names and websites, all of which I will try and list here.
I ordered over $4000 worth of chandeliers from Spectrum and received lots of grief over a 9 month period... and I still do not have my refund.
I ordered 11 chandeliers and 4 sconces for a new home I was about to move into and they had to be delivered and installed by a specific date. They were promised to be delivered completely assembled, except for the largest 50 inch high one, which they said would require minor assembly... but what I received was an entire shipment of 6 inch high boxes! When opened they contained frame parts only, no crystals whatsoever.
To save time we had the shipment sent directly to the new home to be installed, so you can imagine our shock when we saw the tiny chandelier boxes! They jeopardized the purchase of our new home because the lighting fixtures needed to be installed in order to close on the house! We had to run out and immediately buy temporary fixtures (like light bulb sockets, and some other inexpensive lighting fixtures, oh just lovely in our new home!) We spent over a year trying to get reimbursed for the misrepresented chandeliers etc.
Well here is my story in a nutshell, and also info. you can use to write to authorities to stop Spectrum from doing this to anyone else!
I did not receive what I ordered regarding:
1) QUANTITY (charged for items I did NOT receive: charged for 2 chandeliers
and 2 sconces not received).
2) INCOMPLETE ORDER (parts still missing),
3) FRAUD (content of materials misrepresented)
4) UNLAWFUL PRACTICE both regarding content of materials (as mentioned above) and Spectrum stating that chandeliers would arrive "fully assembled" , when they arrived completely UNassembled) without indicating such at time of sale or in any advertising or website info. (breaking NJ laws 56:8-2.4 and 56:8-2). Here are the New Jersey laws that Spectrum is in violation of NEW JERSEY LAWS:
***Spectrum shows a picture of an assembled item but customer receives an unassembled item (in hundreds of parts) and they do NOT state either on their website or telephone that item needs assembly. (Even when customer is placing order and they are asked if the item will arrive assembled, they say yes it will.) There is a NJ law that states "56:8-2.4. Advertisement of unassembled merchandise as assembled in picture or illustration; prohibition It shall be an unlawful practice for a person to advertise merchandise for sale accompanied by a picture or illustration of the merchandise in an assembled condition when it is intended to be sold unassembled, unless the advertisement bears the notation that the merchandise is to be sold unassembled".*** Spectrum misrepresents content of materials that the chandeliers are made out of. (For instance, stating that a chandelier is 100% murano/venetian glass or 100% solid cast brass, when it is NOT):56:8-2. Fraud, etc., in connection with sale or advertisement of merchandise or real estate as unlawful practice The act, use or employment by any person of any unconscionable commercial practice, deception, fraud, false pretense, false promise, misrepresentation, or the knowing, concealment, suppression, or omission of any material fact with intent that others rely upon such concealment, suppression or omission, in connection with the sale or advertisement of any merchandise or real estate, or with the subsequent performance of such person as aforesaid, whether or not any person has in fact been misled, deceived or damaged thereby, is declared to be an unlawful practice; provided, however, that nothing herein contained shall apply to the owner or publisher of newspapers, magazines, publications or printed matter wherein such advertisement appears, or to the owner or operator of a radio or television station which disseminates such advertisement when the owner, publisher, or operator has no knowledge of the intent, design or purpose of the advertiser.
5) Spectrum refuses to answer my calls (or speak to me, once they hear who is calling, and refuse to answer my emails any longer.)
6) Spectrum refuses to supply me with a detailed list of exactly how many chandelier crystals of each type, for each chandelier, go on each fixture (SO I COULD CHECK THE ORDER and INDICATE WHAT WAS MISSING). They refused to send this info. despite numerous requests.
7) Spectrum refuses to supply me with assembly instructions and diagrams (I was not supposed to assemble these in the first place though!)
8) Spectrum claimed week after week that they shipped missing chandelier crystals but I never received anything.
9) Chandeliers took 5-6 hours EACH to assemble (NOT including adding hundreds of crystals, that were missing anyway) ….NOT the few MINUTES they CLAIMED assembly should take! Therefore if I were to ship these back the shipping of these large items would cost MORE than the cost of the chandeliers themselves. I would also need to charge them for all the labor in assembling these.
10) This was NOT an internet order, it was a telephone order, so ALL guarantees were made over the phone by Spectrum. We did look at pictures of chandeliers on the internet to discuss chandelier order but ALL guarantees were made verbally by salesman "David" at time of order.
11) If we are required to adhere to their internet website company policies (not mentioned to us via the telephone order) then their policy regarding orders via the internet website states: "WE GUARANTEE OUR ITEMS WILL ARRIVE TO YOU IN GOOD WORKING ORDER". How can these items arrive in good working order if they are NOT assembled (as shown in their photos and item descriptions) and not even WIRED? (also all crystals missing and items missing etc!) IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS FOR THE CONSUMER TO BE WIRING THESE COMPLICATED CHANDELIERS THEMSELVES ESPECIALLY WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS! But since the nasty company employees (I spoke to someone named Steve and they refuse to give last names) refuse refund AT ALL, the consumer has no alternative, being stuck with these hunks of junk!
Here is more info. on this company who operates under many names:
Spectrum Home Furnishings, Inc.
or Spectrum, Inc.,
Address on shipping box:
510 Squankum Yellowbrook Road
Farmingdale, NJ 07727
(They also have a location in Atlanta Georgia because they mistakenly sent me a box with that address on it! This scam could be nation wide!)
online site is "great chandeliers.com" but others are:
also selling on ebay under "greatchandeliers"
also they have ads in almost every major decorating magazine...so beware!
Check ebay feedback comments from customers (ebay bidders) who were also sold fraudulent merchandise (not assembled etc.) and complained.
My experience with these people was a complete nightmare and I hope others
are warned NOT to deal with Spectrum at ALL!
I am soooooo glad there is a place like ComplaintsBoard.com to expose these dishonest rip off people!!
|Sort by: Date | Rating|