Smoke Assassin / False Advertising

1 NJ, United States Review updated:

The radio advertisement stated a feel trial for the cost of shipping and handling- 9.95. The web site and print advertisement also stated that the free trial included everything needed to try the product including 4 cartridges, the equivalent to 6 packs of smokes.

After they have your credit card information than they try to sell you additional products- when I declined it was explained to me that I could not get the free trial without purchasing the 69.95 cartridges or the 99.95 set of cartridges. Which would automatically be renewed every month on my credit card until I called to cancel.

When I realized that I was not going to be able to order my free trial for 9.95, I asked to have my credit card cancelled. I was put on hold for 20 minutes. I held on. The customer service rep who I spoke to assured me my credit card would be cancelled and even agreed that the advertisement is misleading and he has more problems because of the advertisement.

I believe there are laws protecting citizens from such false advertisements?

Comments

Je
  20th of Jul, 2009

That is terrible and outrageous!

I was going to try them out until I hear about what they were doing.

Went with http://nomoreashes.com instead and love it!

Wh
  28th of Jul, 2009

Thank you for the warning! People like you are extremely helpful, and much appreciated.

Ja
  30th of Jul, 2009

This company is a scam. Their radio ad's are misleading and they are flat out lying. My husband has been trying to quit smoking and heard the ad and thought it was a great deal for just paying about $10 for a trial start up kit. They also offered to throw in a free $25 gas card and $25 walmart card. My husband inquired several times about the cost. They told him over and over that they would NOT charge our card until after the 30 day FREE trial. Less then a week later, after NO PRODUCT arrived, we noticed we were overdrawn in our bank account with overdraft charges. So I checked the bank statement and not only did they charge our card but they charged $79.90 which they were NOT AUTHORIZED TO DO!

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Co
  4th of Aug, 2009

places like this should be forced to close down and all people who get ripped off should get together and sue their ###!

Di
  6th of Aug, 2009

yeah these guys ripped my friend off, saying that they would only charge $9 for shipping and handling IF he decided that (within 30 days) he wanted to return the product.

they proceeded to charge his bank account several times, each for the sum of $1.95.

pretty sleazy marketing.

or, more likely, the point of this scam is to get as much money from as many people as possible, in hopes that not all of them will cancel the charges put on their cards.

it's pretty reasonable to assume that, out of thousands of people, not every single one will take the time/effort to dispute charges on their credit cards, especially if the charge is a couple of dollars.

i think every dime counts.

the BBB will receive notification of this silliness.

Ro
  6th of Aug, 2009

They are also rude. After explaining I was calling on behalf of a family member (nephew) for the free trial, the first customer "service" rep said "Well, you need to have HIM call".

I asked him again just for information about the product, and he repeated "Have HIM call, that's all! I have too many calls in my queue!" . When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he hung up.

So I called back and got another idiot (Jason) who tried to justify the first rep's attitude ("Well, he probably hung up accidentally, and we DO have a lot of calls").

I told him it sure did not sound accidental and his little snippy response was: "Well, I didn't do it!". Then he wants to know my name. After repeating that I was simply calling for product information and that MY name is not the issue, he hung up too. Two geniuses.

A bunch of ###s answering their phones. Like the comment above says---a truly sleazy operation.

Da
  9th of Aug, 2009

what is there customer service number i am stuck in the middle of the scam and they keep withdrawing 1.95 every week and i can get it to stop. i called and told them i didnt want the 69 dollar cartrides and they said they would refund me but it has yet to happen.
What should i do

Sm
  10th of Aug, 2009

Their customer service number is 1800-604-9575 .. i had the same problem as the rest of you guys did. The first person i spoke to with customer service was not very helpful at all and was just a rude ### (excuse my french). I called again after reading all these complaints and got lucky enough to speak to a customer service manager who assured me i would be returned my full refund including the shipping charge. Make sure you ask for a RMA number to post on your package when you return it. It is ### that you have to pay even a penny to ship it back to these sleazebags. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Just have to get the right person on the phone. They did the same to me. Got my credit card info and then tried selling me on two other ### products with the charges of 1.95 a month for some thing i couldn't even tell you what. Guy was speaking like he was the last guy to speak on an advertisement for a car on the radio. Told him DO NOT charge the card, what do you think happened? Exactly.

La
  11th of Aug, 2009

I had the exact horrible experience with this company. On the very first call the sales/call taker assured me at least a dozen times that nothing but the 9.95 would be charged to my account until after the 30 day trial period and then only if I didn't cancel with in that time. All that was a lie. I discovered a 79.95 charge on my account plus two smaller charges of 1.97 and 1.99, both of which I did not approve. All this and I hadn't ever recieved any product yet! The orginal call taker spoke so fast that I couldn't understand a word she said and at the end of her "speed talk" she asked if I understood everything and I replied "Not really" to which she said "you have to say yes or we can't send the "free trial" to you. I replied with "All I need to know is that nothing further will be charged to my card after the 9.95 or 30 days" She said that was correct. So DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!!!

Si
  11th of Aug, 2009

Everyone is correct. I too went through the same scam. After hearing the ad on the radio 6 days ago, I called for the free trial. After the sales lady went through her spiel she asked me if that was something I was interested in. I told her I think so. She then said that they do ask us to pay the $9.95 shipping fee. I gave her all of my information including my credit card. After she had my info, she went through another spiel about all of this other stuff and I kindly declined and at the end of our call, she told me my total was going to be $79.90. I told her that was not the original amount that I agreed to and I was not going to pay it. Cancel my order, I do not want to purchase anything. After another 10 minutes or so of me trying to decline all orders, she finally said that I would not be billed.

Well...6 days later, there is a $79.90 charge on my credit card! I then called the their number immediately. I explained my story to the person who answered, she took my name and pulled up my account and then put me on hold to see what she could do. After a few minutes the phone became disconnected. So I called back and told my same story to another person. Same result...on hold and disconnected. And so I called again. This time the lady gave me the number to Customer Service. So I called them and once again told my story. He said that it already shipped so if I sent it back, they would refund me. I said that was BS because I didn't order it in the first place. He then proceed to put me on mute so he could listen to my original phone call with the sales rep. And once again, disconnected after a few minutes on hold. Now I am furious! I called customer service again and but this time, the guy told me that my product has not shipped yet and that he would clear the charge off my credit card, but then had the nerve to try and offer me a discount and some extra carts not to cancel. I then...once again...said very clearly that I did not want the product, just my money back.

I have a bad feeling that I still may not be getting my money back yet. I will report the final outcome. THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT TRUST AT ALL!!!

Co
  12th of Aug, 2009

they almost got me, as soon as I told them I didnt have a CC (I don't like being rushed into a purchase w/o some research) they hung up on me without any hesitation. I'm sure they will sell my phone number but thats easy to deal with. Researching company's on the net has saved me numerous times totaling over 50k, thank-you everyone for sharing your experience. ITT Tech was another one that you stay away from, almost got me for 45k themselves. So far they are still attempting to charge me $4, 850 just for talking to them...

There needs to be a law where people can shut down these places after so many complaints, companys would think twice about attempting to scam people if they faced losing everything.

La
  12th of Aug, 2009

There is a law against these sort of practices, the same applies to their false advertising. If you've been hit by this company the same as I stated I had above, then do what I have done this morning and file a complaint with your State Attorney Generals Office. They are easy to find just google (your states name) Attorney General e.g. mine is Florida attorney General. In your results will be the web site for them. Click on file a complaint and enter your information and tell them word for word what happened. If enough of us do this then this lying company will be put out of business. PS I still have not recieved my refund from them. Good luck and speak up for your selves.

Jy
  12th of Aug, 2009

I heard this SA advertised on a local radio station and thought it sounded too good to be true. Sure enough! I googled SA and found this forum, ..good thing.
I currently use an Njoy NPRO and another one from Blu.
The service at NJOY is outstanding! Had a battery go bad, emailed them, and they sent me a new one right away- no questions asked. Later, I had an atomizer go bad, and they sent me THREE of them! No charge at all. From what I understand, there is a one year warranty on any parts and they have stood behind that 100%.
The Blu e-cig is a little smaller, about the size of an anolog, and comes with a pack that holds the e-cig, an extra battery, 5 carts, and it will even charge the batteries up to six times if you are on the go. You then recharge the pack with the included charger and it also comes with a USB charger for charging the batteries at will.
I dont think the carts last as long as any e-cig company claims but, I refill my own with Johnson Creek juice (its made right here in my state WI) and that saves me lots of cash!

These idiots at SA are going to ruin it for everyone by advertising their e-cig as a 'quit smoking' device! Both NJOY and Blu have carts with high, medium, low, and zero nicotine but they make it clear up front that they are not to be advertised as a quit smoking device as the FDA still has to give their approval on these e-cigs.
I hope you all get your money back from the crooks at SA.
JYD

Ki
  14th of Aug, 2009

I'm in the midst of the whole shananagan right now. I called on 7/23/09 and canceled their auto-shipment cartridges and was assured by the cust rep that no furture shipments would be sent and no more money charged to my card. Yesterday a charge for the 79.90
showed up on my check card. I've called there and been hung up on 5 times today, under the facade that something was going haywire with there systems. Twice by the asst. manager Diane. I took sometime then and went through my cell phone records to get the exact day and time I called to cancel. I just called back and was told all the managers were out to lunch and one would call me back. Haha...not holding my breath on that. But I'm calling back in an hour no matter what. Looks like even if I get them to agree to refund me it's not going to happen from what I read up above. I called my bank too, the only thing they said I could really do is cancel my card and file some form(can't remember what she called it) so they couldn't charge me any further shipments. I'm thinking I better do it even though I don't want too. But I'm sure these people will charge me again and again no mater how many times I call to cancel. Whan I call back later today I'm going to record the conversation on my cell, wish I would have did that all day today. And on the day I origanlly canceled.

Ki
  14th of Aug, 2009

Well diane never called me back after lunch. When I called back I asked to speak to the manager, the guy said there were no managers in at all today. I said well that can't be true because I spoke to one before her lunch break. Then he says hold on, I'll get one. Then diane's voice came on to say, "Hello, how can I hel...", then of course the disconnect. I called my bank canceled my card and am filling out a formal complaint. It relly ticks me off. And to think this commercial is on major radio stations all around the country scamming every person who calls. I don't know how those people who work there can live with themselves. I could never do that to people, flat out lie and hang up on them what a bunch of weasels.

Le
  17th of Aug, 2009

Call your CREDIT CARD companies and have THEM cancel these charges. You don't have a contract with SA and need to let the CC companies handle these fraudulent, unauthorized charges. It's useless to talk to the scamming reps at SA -- go straight to your bank or CC company and let them handle it.

Ra
  18th of Aug, 2009

smoke assassin rocks. they did send me a unit for just the shipping but I did have to pay for the cartridges which no problem they are costing me less than half what I was spending on smokes.

Gm
  19th of Aug, 2009

smoke assassin are pure ### and fratulant they should be out of bussiness they have the worest costumer service when you call them to cancel they hung up on you

Je
  20th of Aug, 2009

I just placed my order today with this company. Haven't got anything yet, but I don't think I want anything from this company. I've found better e-cigs that are cheaper to re-fill than this company and are legit. I'll call my credit card company tonight and report my card stolen or lost.

Check these e-cigs out: http://www.blucigs.com/index.php?ref=235

J0
  22nd of Aug, 2009

i have been charged 360$ out of my account since july 17th and to day is july 21st!!! when all i ordered was one order at 79.90. i will be looking into legal advice so if there is anyone who is on board with me let me know..