Royal Resort & Sheridan Resorts Goa / Deceptive marketing strategies

I got a telephone call on the first week of July 2007. On the other side of the phone, was a girl who introduced herself as an executive from Royal Resorts calling from their Bangalore office. She called me to inform that; I got selected for a 3-day 3-night stay in one of their 5 star resorts in Goa. Before asking she told that my mobile number & email address they received from one of the malls in Bangalore where I might have filled up my details while doing the shopping. She said I could come to their office in Cunningham road to collect the gift voucher for the same and no strings attached. Further, I told her that I may not be interested if any financial payment or commitment is required from my side. She said, that is not at all required as I am a lucky winner and the only condition is that I have to bring my spouse also to collect the gift-voucher as this offer is applicable only for married couples.

Nobody want to loose a free Goa vacation offer for 3 days. So, I reached the place on time with my wife and two kids. I had to take my maid also along as it was difficult for my wife to handle two kids (20 months old twins) while I am driving. When I reached the place, I noticed that it is nothing but a marketing office. First I was asked to fill a form with my personal details. Also they asked the company I am working and the designation etc. Further, a marketing executive started explaining me about their resorts and the time-share plan. Then I realized that it is a trap. The executive was keep on talking about their different properties in India & Abroad, RCI membership etc. I told the guy that I came to get the gift voucher and not interested in the membership. Still, he continued explaining the membership details & finished only when he done with it. And he ended with a question, 'So which type of membership you would like to go for ?'

I said, I don't require any membership & came for the gift voucher for the Goa resort. Also I told him that I was assured by the person who called me that I don't have to make any financial commitments for the gift. Finally, the guy went inside and came back with a small receipt counterfoil, which says 3 days/3 nights, Sun village resort - GOA. By the quality of the paper or the size of it, it doesn't look like a gift voucher at all. Any way I took it home.

Next working day, I called on the telephone number provided in the receipt to book the resort, but no body was picking up the phone. Finally one guy picked it up some time around noon. He asked me whether I am a member or I have a complementary pass. I said I have a complementary pass valid for 6 months. He said the resort is booked completely and no rooms are available. He did not entertain any questions on the availability etc. He said he would call me back, if he has rooms and disconnected. But he did not ask for my name or telephone number during the conversation.

So, please don't waste your time and energy on calls from Royal resorts or Sheridan Resorts. They are trying a different marketing strategy, which will definitely back fire in the long run.

Thanks & Regards,
Varghese

Comments

• Vi
      17th of Dec, 2007

This is exactly what happened with me. The company is a cheat and I would recommend that no one should go in for any of the services they offer. This is the only way to teach them a lesson.

They think that such stratergies will help them make money. But this is going to cost them one day.

This is a new marketing policy many travel organising companies are going for and I urge customers not to go in for such false gimmicks.

Regards,
    Vinod Subhanji

17th of Jan, 2008

Well well well! I got a call yesterday from a person claiming to be from ING Vysya Life Insurance saying that my name was selected randomly from the Hutch base (?). She told me that I am one of the 20 lucky winners of a complimentary 3 night/3 day stay at Sun Village Resort in Goa. All I needed to do was attend their presentation for 60 mins. I did the same (at the ING office in Chennai) and after hearing them for about 30 mins told them I'm not interested in their Insurance at the moment. They quietly gave me this pink slip (Has the name 'Sheridan' on it) which says I can avail the free stay (at Sun Village, Goa) anytime in the next 12 months and I need to call their Bangalore office to book.

Just wanted to lookup this company (Sheridan) on the net and I'm glad I saw your blog!

• Dm
      20th of Jan, 2008

Exactly the same happened to me today. While I was pretty sure that nobody is going to give a free gift voucher for no reason, we had nothing much to do on a Sunday evening, so we went out, starting with this company called "Manjrak", which is supposed to be a marketing agent of ING Vysya Life Insurance. Unfortunately I could not find this page by searching by keywords like Manjrak ING Vysya gift voucher etc before I went there. Anyway, it's good to find it now and I am going to make a blog entry so that others do find it when they try.

• Sr
      14th of Feb, 2008

Dear Varghese,

Thanks a lot for the warning. It did happen to us this morning and my husband immediately resorted to google first and make an inquiry before proceeding any furthur. Luckliy we found your blog and needless to say it is very very useful one. Really appreciate your efforts in taking time to write a blog. They don't know whom they are planning such pranks with!! The stupid company is going to sink in no time. Hope they realize that credibility is the biggest building block for business growth.

Thanks again for your helping attitude.

Regards,
    Sriram and Sai.

• Bh
      14th of Feb, 2008

I had the similar situation with Mahendra and Mahendra. They call u up and simply start giving the presentation on their properties for hours together. When i went with my wife to Leela palace in the sunny afternoon, he started giving the presenattion and shows the clipping of their properties.

After the presenation the first question he asked is when i will be getting my membership. I told him i cant go for membership which costs somewhere in lakhs and thousands. He started convincing such that I cant say no.It was a torture to me at that time.

I waited for few minutes and when he came to know i wont be taking his register in the voice changed to harsh. I stood up told him that he is crossing his limits and walked out along with my wife.

He even did'nt give me any gift voucher. I complained to some senior persons of M & M about this, they apologised to me.

Never become a prey in the hands of these resorts people. They call u to have some marketing

• Na
      15th of Feb, 2008

I kept on receiving calls from ING vysya since testerday saying that its valentine's day bonanza that I am going to get if I attend a presentation on life insurance. Today on attending the ### for 30 mins I got a similar pink coloured paper (so called gift vousher) which says 3days / nights free saty in shedian goa....

Thank fully got to see this blog... pls dont fall into this

• Dr
      16th of Feb, 2008

Dear Friends,
    What ever has been mentioned so far by the above people is full true. Even I had the same experience. Please don't fall prey to these mareting gimmices. Even the premium value which the reported is on a ver higher side when compared to what is been reported in the ING VYSYA official web site.

Dr.L.Senthilumar

• Kj
      19th of Feb, 2008

Well I just had a call from the said company and they told me that I might be the lucky winner for a stay in Goa, Thailand, Bali or Kerala.

Thanks 2 dis blog will b xtra careful.

• Ra
      26th of Feb, 2008

Today 26th Feb 2008, i got a same kind of call. Thanks everyone for the warning signal.

1st of Mar, 2008

Well ! i also got the same call from the above set concern but my experience is not like that what the information given by the company is true. And i got the complimentry stay in that hotel for 3 day and 3 nights.. And i didn't pay any amount for that, my experience was quite better.. It was useful for my family future . And the presentation given by the company is well good. Thanks..

• He
      3rd of Mar, 2008

Join the club!! I too got a call from ING Vysya with the same complimentary offer stay in Goa. I infact asked the girl how she got my number because we've never given our numbers in any malls!! We hardly go out to malls in Bangalore other than for seeing films.. and never have both my husband and myself given our mobile numbers together anywhere. I was shocked when she told both our numbers clearly over phone!! Isnt this a breach of confidentiality? How can any marketing agency probe for personal details of individuals and lure them like this? Cant we do something about it?

• Ha
      4th of Mar, 2008

Hi all,

I got the same the phone call to me yesterday that i have won 7days8nights at the Royal Resort Goa. Just to make sure that this is real or fake i searched through google i got navigated to this page. Otherwise i may also get into this trap. Thank you one and all for your information.

• Am
      24th of Mar, 2008

Same case happened to me as i got a call today, as the guy started as he is from ING Vyasa Manjrak and my name has been selected from lucky draw which i would have filled in some mall while shopping, i was not able to recollect when ifilled such forms so i saked him about that then he said "sir somewhere in past six months either in garuda or in forum" as these are the two most obvious place. Immediately after the call i started googling the word Manjrak and luckily found the link on Complaints board else i would have fallen into their gimmick thanks for the in depth review and valuable comments.

Ambuj.

• Ni
      25th of Mar, 2008

This is true. Customare care (person name Justin - 41473366) does pick up the "dead" phone sometimes, but will always have the standard lines to say:
    1) Have you called us before?
    2) There is no availability currently.
    3) We'll get back to you later. And that later never comes.

Manjrak/Sheridan Resorts should be sued!

• Pr
      3rd of Apr, 2008

Hi,

I should have googled too.

In 2006 I fell into this trap and took membership. I paid up all the money but still they have not issued me any RCI membership card.

Can anyone help with any legal advice on what I can do or where to complain about and get back my money ?

Regards
    Prabhakar

15th of Apr, 2008

Thanks to internet or I would have fallen in to the same pit. This guy called me in the morning from marjrek and said I ahve been selected for the Goa trip and I can just come and collect the Gift vouchers in their office after attending the seesion. no documents needed or I can avail a insurance worth 1lac. he did not have an answer when I asked him which malls he got my number from he said big Bazar and Gopalan mall.. Where i m sure I have never been to those places he immediately said sorry mam Forum. Onlt then i thought i should check for this company in net and came across this blog. Thanks to you guys or else i would have wasted my time visiting those idiots.

• Sh
      21st of Apr, 2008

I have purchased a Maruthi 800 from Ooty Mahendra & Mahendra bearing the registration no TN 43 B 8475 on loan. As the circumstances did not allowed us to pay the due in right time, last 4 months due was lapsed and now the vehicle is being ceased by the concern authorities. I have already made a request by two telegrams informing them to wait till I pay the total lapsed dues at the earliest and clear the vehicle on or before 5th of May, 2008.
    I will be happy if this message could be passed on to the Ooty Mahendra Finance office, so that the office staffs will not come and threaten us or disturb us, till the date we have requested.
    Anticipating your cooperation
    Thanking you
    With regards
    S. Hemalaths

• Ra
      9th of May, 2008

Thanx all ya guyz... I too have jus recieved the call, and luckily found this blog. Am not going 2 waste nemore time... thanx once again... :)

• Su
      22nd of May, 2008

Thanks for this information .. I got a call from a Lady Malini 9945027189 from Royal resorts for 3D & 3N's in Goa. She has booked a slot for me today evening. Thanks to all this information that I wont be wasting my time today!!

Also Incase they call me again I can blast them with the information I have here.

Thanks
    SK

• Pr
      26th of May, 2008

Hi,
    Thanks a lot, otherwise I would have been a prey. I got a call from Manjrak person about the same free Goa trip for 4 days & 4 nights. Here's their office address,
    Manjrak Company, #406, 1st floor, Prestige centre point, Above Pizza hut, Cunningham Road Bangalore - 52.

Here's the name and contact no. of the person called me and a chance to blast the idiots...
    Premkumar 9343311499.