Royal German Shepherds

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 by

Dog breeder

3.35
Royal German Shepherds. They are located in Mono ON, but also list in Toronto. Purchase on 1/30/17

Purchased a 10 week old German Shepherd puppy from Royal German Shepherds. Less than a day the puppy became very sick. She started throwing up, seizing, and was lethargic. We took her to the vet right away and were told the puppy shows signs of neurological issues. They tested her and found an off the charts high white blood cell count which means an infection. She had two overnight stays at the vet, 4 different Dr's examined her, a neurological consult, and $2800+ in bills. She continues to have seizures and is on a regiment of around the clock meds.

All the vets who examined her told us she was sick when we got her and nothing we could have fed her would have caused her to become this sick so quickly. We contacted Royal German Shepherds who told us we were at fault and we must have poisoned the puppy. They refused to refund us our money $1950 and recommended we euthanize the puppy.

I am filing this report hoping someone considering this breeder will think twice and not have to go through the same financial and emotional heartache we have gone through. Stay away from Royal German Shepherds.
Complaint comments Comments (25) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Dog Breeders

Comments

D  15th of Feb, 2017 by    +1 Votes
We have sold our German Shepherd Female Puppy to Jon and Tracy on Monday, January 30th and for two weeks prior we have been exchanging emails, phone calls and met on Skype to make sure our puppy is going to suitable home. Since they did have large police K-9 shepherd we thought they were perfect candidates for our puppy. They said the other shepherd was too dangers to play with their daughter and that they wanted very calm and not aggressive puppy for their family. For couple of weeks we were sending all required documents and health records to CDC in order to obtain the permission to enter USA.
Our vet comes to our home on weekly bases to check out the pups by taking their stool sample on regular bases, monitoring their growth, de-worming them, checking for any sign of infection by measuring their glans and inspecting their eyes, ears, temperature and checks the heart for any murmurs and gives appropriate vaccinations and the full medical history with everything done goes home with each pup. But in order to cross the border the puppy required International Health Certificate issued within 24 hours to inspect the puppy and make sure the puppy was free of any disease and is well to travel. After getting all medical exams, health records, permission to enter US and obtaining International Health Certificate we have met at the border that morning. They came and took the puppy and crossed the border. Later on she did call us and said that the custom officers were very detailed and asked them to step out of the car and go to the office to check the puppy and all the paper work but since everything was fine and she had all in order they did let them go and that evening she did send us an update about the puppy being playful and with good appetite. The next day Tracy said wrote that she introduced her to raw meat and since then everything has changed:

On Jan 31, 2017, at 12:42, Tara Tracy wrote:

Love Charlie, she did great on car ride yesterday. However we feed her her dry mixed with raw and she has vomitted 4x today. Not sure if I made raw food wrong. Also I realized we didnt get her CKC papers and forgot to sign contract.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Around 4:00 pm on Tuesday, Jon called and said that the puppy became ill after eating raw meat and if it is normal for the meat to have very fowl odor? They did contact the husky breeder that they have purchased the raw meat from and he said that smell is ok because he feeds his adult dogs and they are fine with it. But we did tell him that even tough we recommend raw food, it is only human grade and that puppies are like little children and are a lot more vulnerable then adults and if it is not something that you would eat then do not give it to your puppy and that he should stop feeding the pup, spoiled food immediately. Over the night the puppy got even more sick by having foam coming our of the mouth and getting seizures and ended up at the vet office on Wednesday morning and here is the very confusing email, first we get emails at 12:42 pm that she has just vomited after ingesting the raw meet from Tracy and then after few day we got the email with different story from Jon saying she had foam coming out her mouth at 11:00 am?? The story keeps changing the facts and the times and the reason for having the pup so sick in first place? If that would be true why would he wait until Wednesday morning to see the doctor?

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Jon Tracy wrote:
To Royal German Shephards,

We received Charlie on Monday January 30th around noon. We got home with Charlie at 9:00 pm that same day. By 11:00 am January 31st Charlie became very ill and was throwing up, foaming at the mouth, and was lethargic. I spoke to you and you told me she was most likely stressed and to fast her until the morning. Soon after we talked her illness grew worse and I realized she was having seizures. Charlie would foam at the mouth, shake, defecate, then run across the room. She would then sit confused for 30 to 60 seconds. These seizures continued about every 4 hours.
On February 1st we were sitting at the closest vets office to our house when they opened and she was examined...

On Wednesday we were informed by their vet about her seizures and were back and forth on the phone with their vet to try to figure out what has happen and even the vet could not figure it our since Tracy has shown him a video of the puppy playing with their daughter and looking perfectly fine on Monday evening and yet on Wednesday the puppy was at his office with seizures! We are very responsible breeder and have answered every email and every phone call from them and their vet and here is the proof of that:

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Tara Tracy wrote:
THANK YOU for taking the time to speak to our vet really appreciate it. I will keep you posted. Right now logging and videoing all seizure to attempt figure out and stop. When she has periods of herself she is absolutely AMAZING DOG. Please let me know if you where able to look into other insurance

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Tara Tracy
wrote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Hopefully you guys can connect

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Royal German Shepherds
wrote:
I am trying to call him and left the massage with the secretary...

Megan

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Tara Tracy wrote:
At your convenience I know my vet left you a message if you can give him a call back he just has some history questions. We're just trying to take care of Charlie the best we can. Thank you

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

As you could see in above emails we did NOT sell a sick puppy to them and they took the puppy from us on Monday morning and ended up at the vet of Wednesday morning and for 10 weeks that we had her with weekly check ups done by our vet and then full medical exam done with 24 hours before crossing the border, NOBODY has witnessed any seizures? Not us during the 10 weeks of her life, not our vet or the vet doing the International Health Certificate just before crossing the border, not even the US custom border officers that were inspecting the puppy and the paper work for over an hour, not us during the 4 hour car trip or them when they traveled back for almost 10 hours holding her on their lap, not that evening when the pup has played with them and took videos of it and not next day but ONLY after her ingesting contaminated meat she has become ill and got her seizures that night! For several days we were on the phone with their vet in order to try to figure it out and the only think the vet could think off is the lead poisoning or food poisoning and that is his exact quote from Feb.7th, 2017 on the pup's diagnose:

"Charlie has an infection which has caused brain lesion causing neurological issues."

As you could see in the above quote of their own vet, the puppy was not born with it BUT got infection which caused the brain lesions and further damage and we did not sell them a sick puppy and risked our very good reputation or our breeding license. What breeder on earth would keep a puppy with neurological issues like seizures every 30-60 seconds and none of the vets or customs or ANYBODY else has witnessed a single episode until the food poisoning! It is well known that seizures are caused by physical trauma (like head injury) or chemical trauma to the brain (like poisoning) Once the puppy leaves our home it is beyond our control as what happens to the pup, it most likely was the contaminated raw meat or maybe it was some kind of head trauma by their other adult dog which we are unaware off?
We are very honest simple breeder and how can we stand up to this police officer form USA who has promised to ruin us and our reputation... we could only provide copy of every email, medical records and the certificates of the puppy's health proofing that the puppy was perfectly healthy and their own vet also has found absolutely nothing in their stool, no parasites or any other pathogens and the blood sample showed nothing else except this one infection which caused the neurological issues and brain lesions resulting seizures. In the above emails you could see very clearly that at first they write on how much they love the puppy and then the puppy being sick from day one.

It is very sad that we have done nothing wrong and stayed in contact all that time and yet are wrongly accused of selling a sick dog which somehow nobody noticed or witnessed anything, not us, them or any vet? It really hurts that this US public service police officer will not present the whole truth but keeps changing all the facts and the times of it and is reporting us for selling a sick dog and yet forgets to mention anything about the contaminated meat...
D  5th of Apr, 2017 by    0 Votes
I have purchased a puppy from the same litter as the people in the complaint, the puppy has had no medical issues was Vet inspected passed with flying colours. Megan has been more than supportive in any questions regarding care of the puppy.I have had working class Shepherds for the last 31 yrs the temperament of Megan's dog are exactly as she has described above my expectations .Sorry to hear of the health issues with the other dog
D  5th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
This is very surprising to see as I purchased a puppy 3 years ago and could not have had a better, more supportive experience, and my beautiful dog is strong, healthy and wonderfully tempered. She doesn't eat raw and is still 100% healthy. I visited the property twice before bringing my puppy home and was impressed with the facilities and the handsome, healthy dogs. Megan was friendly, helpful, and the whole experience was absolutely ideal. I have had an entirely positive experience with this breeder and recommend them to anyone looking for a gorgeous, well bred, long haired shepherd. It sounds like a very sad, but isolated incident, and I don't believe it was the fault of the breeder, as they are very thorough, knowledgeable, experienced and care for their dogs very much.
N  20th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
I have concens as we have yet to receive papers. As well when we received our puppy he was sick and underweight. We confirmed this with the vet. The breeder said he most likely got sick in the flight. We have had struggles to feed him and have two vets a breeder and two dog stores trying to figure out why he just likes to forage. Either way we love our puppy but we want our papers. Its been months and we have been told they were going to be mailed to us and now she is stating SHE received them and keeps promising to send them. We hope this ends well as she was very communicative in the beginning. Please send us our papers.
D  23rd of May, 2017 by    +1 Votes
We also purchased a Male puppy from the same litter and he is a healthy happy boy. Our experience with the purchase of our puppy was positive and we would also recommend this breeder. Our vet also commented on how beautiful and healthy he was and we have no issues with our male. My heart goes out to the people that are having issues with their puppy but I would have to agree with Jes Roy that I also don't believe it was the fault of the breeder.
N  9th of Jun, 2017 by    +2 Votes
We obtained our mail puppy from Royal German Shepherds in October 2016. Our pup is everything Meghan said he would be. Our experience with this breeder was very positive. . Our vet can not get over his temperament. He is very well behaved for his age - very peaceful disposition - cooperative and relaxed.(unless he wants to play a game of soccer)!! We would recommend this breeder for anyone looking for a true "Blu" German Shepherd - Just make sure you have training plans for your pup - They need a job to do and opportunities to burn energy! Also, keep in mind that these dogs are very intelligent - so be prepared for that!

N  11th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
We bought a puppy from this company and paid double the price for breeding rights as my wife and I wanted to start a breeding operation in Nova Scotia. We were assured the dog was well breed and no problems with Hips as many shepherds have. We were given a guarantee that the dog would be healthy and be a good breeder. Upon reaching 2 years of age, we took her to the vets to have her hips and elbows checked to get a rating by the German shepherd Association. The dog failed both in the hips and elbows and was instructed by the vet not to breed this dog. When I contacted Megan at Royal German Shepherds and informed her of this problem (after also forwarding her a copy of the X-rays and appropriate medical reports) she asked me what I wanted her to do. I informed her that I simply wanted the half I paid to have a dog suitable for breeding. I thought I was being reasonable as this adventure has put me 2 years behind in our breeding programs plus all the associated costs to get my dog to this age! She wanted to speak to my vet and arranged it so they could talk. My vet called her several times leaving a message each time for her to return the call. eventually the vet made contact and my vet informed her that my dog was well taken care of, well feed and vetted as it should have been. I was told by Megan that the dog could still be breed as the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) didn't care about breeding as long as both parents are registered. Then she said that I could breed sisters to brothers! I have been trying to resolve this fairly but now they do not return my calls. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO PURCHASE ANY DOG FROM THIS BREEDER AS THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE BREED OR THEIR REPUTATION! They certainly were nice when they wanted my money. BEWARE!!! If this is not resolved I will be pursuing this legally and will be going after all my costs, the loss of income I suffered and the cost of the dog! If you read this Megan, I would strongly urge you and your husband to do the right thing before it escalates
A  21st of Jun, 2017 by    -1 Votes
My name is Mary-Anne, My husband & I purchased a puppy from Megan almost a week ago now, and since I have purchased 7 puppies in total over 30 years, I believe I know what I am talking about. Our puppy, Rudy, is doing absolutely wonderfully in our home. He is now 10 weeks old, he has responded so very well to all of our family members, he is strong, healthy, inquisitive & a complete joy to have in our family. He is already learning to go to the door when he wants out to pee, he interacts with our cat a little aggressively, but that is normal, and already, I see him responding readily to the words "No, Rudy!"...when I want him to stop doing something, like trying to chew on the edge of a carpet, etc., I return his attention back to his main toys, and he IMMEDIATELY is agreeable & stops doing whatever I asked him to stop doing. He is very, very smart & totally happy in our home. We love him so much. I don't know what problems exist with the other customer above, but certainly, after having had previous litters of puppies myself, in the past, I can say emphatically that in my opinion, all the puppies who I saw at Royal GS were normal, loving & happy puppies who were the picture of health, and our puppy, Rudy, is no exception to this. Thank you Megan, for all the info you provided, when we purchased Rudy, introducing us to your very well behaved adult dogs, all the lovely pups, and telling us about their lives & your breeding practices. We would absolutely recommend Royal German Shepherds to other puppy purchasers, with our highest regards!!! Sincerely, Mary-Anne D.
N  21st of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
That is very nice however I bought a breeder. Anyone who has a 2 year old dog from this breeder I strongly recommend they have their dog hips and elbows x-rayed. Whether their dog is a breeder out simply a nice family dog!
N  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@atlantichorsetransport@yahoo.ca What was the Birthdate of your Dog? I have a 2 year old from this Puppy Mill!
A  19th of Jul, 2017 by    +2 Votes
PARVOVIRUS FRENCH BULLDOG PUPPIES BEING SOLD!!! I just purchased an 8 week old French bulldog for my kids from this breeder on July 15, 2017. Within the first 24 HOURS the puppy had diarrhea, Megan said in was from stress and leaving. then vomitting . Within 48 hours the dog was at the vets and now has been there for 2 days at about $500 a day. Megan is now is not returning phone calls or emails. We will be pursuing this as my kids have been crying for days. We only got the puppy 4 days ago. He is at deaths door and hasn't eaten for over 2 days, and she cant return my phone calls but calls the vet to say it must be something else. Even though she has the parvovirus test results, I have blood test results, vet bills and bill of sales from royal pups. I will be posting them everywhere on social media i can since this has been done to my small kids; i expect my vet bills to be paid out of the cash i purchased the puppy with and if they chose to ignore the health of the animals then their business will definitely suffer. She may say she cares for the animals but if she is not concerned with their safety and the hygiene of their environment then how can she really care. I feel painfully duped, my kids barely had the puppy for 24 hours and they are so attached. I am disgusted that she tries to put the blame elsewhere. Parvovirus is contacted 7 to 14 days prior to symptoms. 8 families of new adorable frenchies are most likely into a heartbreaking few weeks, especially if they do not go to vet soon enough. And costly. I hope somehow i am helping to prevent future pain to families.
N  15th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Heartbreakingly duped Hi there,

I just purchases a French Bulldog Puppy last weekend from Megan. When was your puppy born? Was it June 22nd?
N  19th of Sep, 2017 by    +1 Votes
@Shantelsalewski No, sorry our Pups dob is May 13, 2017. I am in touch with 4 pups from our litter and they ALL had health issues, parasites and GI issues. Same with 4 pups from the April 20, 2017 and March 10 /17 litter. Megan's puppy mill/ kennels have many parasites, and deadly Parvovirus . Please take a poop sample to your vet and have it tested for Parvovirus, Giardia, Coccidia and roundworms. Even if there symptoms are not present. But your pup obviously is ill since you are on here. You should join the facebook group where we have all found each other. If you give me your contact I will send you info directly. I hope your frenchie is okay, after lots of money spent, most of ours are. We want to know any diseases you have encountered and dont expect any accountability from Megan, dont waste your breath, it will just be denial and lies. Take care.
N  29th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Heartbreakingly duped Hi there, please contact me directly. 647.335.8520
N  9th of Aug, 2017 by    +1 Votes
We bought a puppy with royal shepards as well, 14 months ago, he came sick, from the bigginig, we thought he was just missing his old home, he had a really bad diarreah, and super skinny he was just hair and bones, by day 3 we took to the vet, cause he wouldn't eat a thing, he kept having this diarrhea, like water, he couldn't pee properly he was dripping pee all over the house, when the vet took he's poop sample, he was diagnose with giardia, a very contagious parasit, when a emailed megan, she said that he may have get it during his flight, but the vet, didn't agree to that, Cause it wouldn't be posible that in 3 days this dog was so skinny, no joking pure bone, the first day we got him home we washed him, cause he got pee all over him, me and my husband where so heartbreaking, we both knew something was wrong here, had to take off work a month in half, to try to get rid of this, cause his immune system was so low he would keep getting it back, he was so little and expose to very strongs antibiotics, after that we realize that his pee was extreme stinky, again all this time he would barely eat, we took him again to the vet, and found out he would need a surgery cause the skin of his penis wasn't big enough, and he was retaining the pee inside, as well he had a very bad urine infection, and back to antibiotics, i contacted megan, and at the bigginig she thought I was lying to her till I send her the vet papers, the funny part is the, she told me her vet clear this puppy, cause he said he will grow out of 😱 It, so they knew this all this time, that the dog was sick, and they still have a health clear papers for him, my question is who to blame meghan or the vet, I told her before I got the puppy, that i have a sick with disabilities daughter, so I need a healthy dog for her, since we got this puppies all we have is heache, and so many vet vist, of course my kids love him, and overall, he really gentle, calm, and obedient, but this is more like a health issue, every now and then he got this really bad skin infection, that always get infected, we still trying to figure out what is causing, now we can only wash him once a year to avoid them, tried so many different food cause he is really picky, he has never been a normal dog, he still just pure bone, and hair, I can't pet him cause, I feel so bad that he is so skinny, and can't do anything to make him gain weight, I loved him so much that will keep trying with him, even though it's the most expensive dog, I never thought would be this hard have a dog, all my friends have dogs, and never had an issue, I'm really disappointed with this breeder, and I wouldn't recommend, even though, they have been really helpful at the bigginig, they sent us a sick dog, in every single way.
N  10th of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Pauly32 Happy to help!
A  10th of Aug, 2017 by    +1 Votes
They are cons and do not honour their commitments. They should be shut down!
N  9th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@atlantichorsetransport@yahoo.ca Totally Agree! They are running a puppy mill and are in it for the Moneuy!
N  9th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Jax's Mom Money!
N  8th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
Is there a group just for those who have purchased French bulldogs, or their german Shepherds as well?
N  8th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Ibeth Monteith Oh, there is definitely a group! About 18 of us all from litters just in the past year! I can tell you how to learn more of you contact me directly rangers2004@rogers.com
Hope your pup is okay!
N  8th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Ibeth Monteith Hello, Ibeth, what kind of dog did you get from them?
N  16th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Heartbreakingly duped Hi there. I thought I was alone in having an ill dog purchased from here. So bad in fact I had to put him to sleep at just over a year old. Emailing you
A  12th of Oct, 2017 by    0 Votes
I also purchased a puppy two years ago with nonstop health issues and allergies, she’s practically bald and is always getting ear infections because of the allergies. We still don’t know what she is allergic to. Besides all the health issues she is a fantastic dog, great with kids, excellent temperament and very intelligent it’s too bad that she can’t enjoy life to the fullest because she always seems to be sick. I’ve been in contact with Megan and she’s told me to use all these natural remedies and nothing has worked so I gave up and went to the vet and they charge me an arm and a leg for antibiotics and steroids. I don’t know what to do anymore ... I’m so disappointed with these breeders. I never wanted to purchase a dog this expensive but thought because we have small children a well behaved dog was a MUST and Megan was very convincing!
N  17 hrs 15 mins ago by    0 Votes