Resort Villa / Scam and cheating

I got a call one day after filling out a contest ballot, that I had won a 'free vacation', all I had to do was attend a 'small' presentation, where dinner would be provided. They made it sound like it was a banquet for the Vacation winners where they would present us with our free vacations.

Turns out the Free Chinese 'Buffet was a few takeout tins of fried rice and chicken balls. It was gross- but also turned out this was a TimeShare presentation, so I new I would be there for a while and so I ate it with relish.

Every time I tried to elave, a new person would intercept me at the door- and each guy was more intimidating than the next. I swear this thing is run by the Mob- they all had these pinky rinks and spoke like a Soprano.

They'd try to give us another reason why we should get the time share. And when I said no, they'd keep asking why as if I must be stupid or crazy to say no to this 'Wonderful Opportunity'. So you're not only being bullied into buying this thing, but your being shamed into it! There are laws against strong arm sales tactics, but these guys slip under the wire of culpability so beware.

No kidding, it was 6 hours later before we were able to leave. and guess what folks... I bought a time share!

To make matters worse- there were all sorts of undisclosed details like 'maintenance fees', and 'user fee's . Turns out that not only are you paying for 'vacation weeks', in advance at a "low low rate", but when you try to use them, you are charged a user fee of $300.00 so it comes out to the same thing as if you bought a regular vacation- EXCEPT- the whole fee doesn't include airfare- only hotel. So in fact you are paying double because it's cheaper to buy a package than to pay separate airfair and hotel.

Insult to injury, at the end of the year, you have to pay $100 to renew your membership- so if you bought 5 weeks and only used 1 or 2 per year, you have no choice to renew or you won't be able to use those weeks you already paid for.

So in actuality you're paying only for hotel- a luxury hotel mind you, but who stays at the Ritz?! Regular people go to Hilton, Holiday Inn, Sheraton ect. I tried to exercise the 14 day refund policy- guess what they do? They don't answer your calls or emails for 14 days, and by the time you do finally get in touch with someone- ohh too bad, the trial period is over. I went to court- lost- the contract is impermeable.

Bottom line, do not attend the presentation- do not buy 'Vacation Weeks', that you will not ever use. This is not a scam- but it is a cleverly disguised 'pay for your vacation in advance' program that is not a good deal unless you are the type of person who normally would stay at the Ritz when you travel.

But for average Joes? This is not for you.

Va

Comments

• Ar
      11th of May, 2009

Beware of Bona Vista Travel, Resort Villas & The Vacation Store (as well as Triad International) Scam Alert: Resort Villas (eresortvillas), The Vacation Store, Bona Vista Travel & Triad International

Hopefully this will help some other innocent people out there.

My family members were recently scammed by an unethical, although not illegal, group of companies, including THE RESORT VILLA, THE VACATION STORE, BONA VISTA TRAVEL and TRIAD INTERNATIONAL.

If you are dealing with these companies, pleae beware. A telemarketer contacts an innocent person by phone telling them they've won a trip and to bring their wife and credit card to an event in Woodbridge, Ontario. When they arrive, there is vacation music playing and smooth talking sales people doing a presentation. There's cheap food available for attendees as an incentive. Essentially, they pressure you into signing on-the-spot deals for a time-share-like scheme, but using what they call "points." These points are supposed to go toward discounted 5-star hotel stays world-wide, but with all the user fees, maintenance fees, incidentals and restrictions, you end up paying much more than you would have, had you booked a luxury package deal online or through a travel agent.

The presenters convince the audience of their authenticity by throwing in familiar names like "Bona Vista Travel" - note: this is NOT the reputable Bonavista Travel, rather a similarly named travel agency based in Woodbridge, Ontario. They also say it is certified by the Ontario government (as are most travel agencies).

While Resort Villas, The Vacation Store, Bona Vista Travel and Triad International (their associated financing company) are supposedly unrelated, they actually all reside and work out of the Woodbridge area. They have been in operation for over a decade because their contract is airtight and everything they do is legal. While participants think they will stay at hotels like the Ritz Carlton or other big name hotels, these are only advertised verbally in the presentation, but aren't in the actual contract you end up signing.

Also, while the contract does refer vaguely to "Article 25" on a pdf document on their website, it doesn't explicitly inform those who do end up signing that they have a 10-day period to cancel the contract according to Ontario law. IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOUR 10 DAYS ARE OVER (counting each day after the contract is signed), CANCEL IMMEDIATELY. We have spoken to a lawyer, and there is no other way out. They will go to court and win, and they will continue to do business, because they can. File a complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency in Ontario and let all your family and friends know, especially the elderly, so they too, are not innocently scammed.

While the salespeople offer 49, 000 points, for instance, for about $17, 000 dollars, I have read other stories from people scammed saying that when they first refused, the salespeople lowered the price for the same 49, 000 points to a mere $4900--still not worthwhile, but so much less than the original offer.

If you do attend something like this, ask for identification, business cards, catalogues or host hotels in the agreement. Also ask about the cancellation policy. And please, don't sign. If you decide to sign it or any other contract, please be sure to read the fine print. With words like "coersion" and "no cancellation" in their contract, please heed the red flags and get out of there.

This scam has been happening for years now, and also entices people from the United States and parts of Ontario. Please spread the word and protect yourself and those you love.

• Cz
      22nd of Jan, 2010

Everything in the above mentioned emails is true, the phone calls, the presentation site, trophies, latina ladies, shady presenters, posters, websites, food, cubicles, etc.

To make a long story short: my sister+hubby bought into their 5-year trial membership @ 1, 500.00 in 2008, and got their member's folder, which actually is titled :Resort Villa Vacations, located at 690 Rowntree Dairy rd, suite 201 Woodbridge, ON L4L 5T7. The 216 Chrislea address seems to only be their presentation location.

The vacation "prizes" they then received where all so very restricted that they never made it to Cancun, Las Vegas nor Orlando, cause you could only book tue-thursdays, not incl. holidays, and the administration fees were like around $600.00, only to make the "not guaranteed" reservations. Furthermore, the prizes were only 6 months valid!!

When my sister signed up for the travel membership, she was told verbally by those gangsters that she would receive a membership confirmation from them by mail within a week, so that they could still cancel the membership within the 10 days cancellation period.
    Needless to say, that the "confirmation letter arrived 14 days later and no one had the decensy to answer any calls/emails/fax during the mentioned time.

Finally a couple of days later, after numerous frantic calls. someone picked up the phone at the "reservation" extension and gave her the cell phone to a lady named Roula.
    That Roula-witch then told her that they've surpassed the 10 days cancellation period and were thus bound to their membership agreement. My sister yelled at that woman and said that she would go and stand in front of their presentation site and warn everyone from this scam, but Roula told her that she would sue my sister for blackmailing and trespassing private property. My sister swallowed the humilliation and violation of her dignity, and is now just paying the dues and waiting for the 5 years bond with those money-monkeys to be over and never to be associated with TVS, eresortvillas.com, Resort Villa Vacations Club Inc., Bona Vista, nor Triad International ever again.

My sister also mentioned that an other couple had bought into the points programm early into their "cubicle session', which was then 'celebrated', however, she now came to the conclusion, that that couple was probably one of the scammers themselves, a tactic to make the whole deal look more 'attractive' and less harmful.

My sister+hubby fell for those gangsters after feeling absolutely mentally exhausted after the 4 hours presentation ordeal, and thinking that the 1, 500.00 won't tumble them into financial distress anyway, which it didn't, but the violation to their dignity was the hardest to swallow.
    They as well as myself have since been to a couple of other shady time share/vacation club presentations, just to slam a big fat NO to those shameless scammers after initially enthusiastically giving the scammers some hope of a jackpot sale and wasting all their skills & efforts in the process.

Btw, according to our researches, eresortvillas.com just expanded their "business" with zipartist.com, so beware!

Also check out:

anthony@eresortvillas.com in

AND LAST BUT NOT least, please also check the Better Business Bureau website, cause the company "Resort Villas Management Inc." aka www.eresortvillas.com, located at 201 - 690 Rowntree Dairy Rd, Woodbridge, ON L4L 5T7; currently does not have ANY rating at all, see it for yourselves at:

Carol

• To
      12th of Feb, 2010

Thanks for all of this. I got a call tonight from someone who didn't speak too well of english and told me that I had won a draw. He got me to confirm my name and address but the funny thing is that I told him that the address was wrong and that I had moved but he didn't even take down my new address. Well thanks to reading all of this stuff I will not be attending so when this SHAWN STEVEN calls me in the morning to confirm that I will be attending tomorrow I will be sure to give him an ear full!!!
    Tommi

Feb. 12, 2010.

• Du
      21st of Feb, 2010

I attended a presentation last nignt because I was told over the phone:
    1. That I would receive a minimum prize of $500.00 for attending.
    2. That my wife and I would receive a dinner on the town
    I did not buy and received a $500.00 travel voucher good for 2 years. Problem is the voucher states in the small print that the terms and conditions can be changed by Bonivista Travel at any time. Also the food voucher was worth about $5.00 at best as we would never eat there.

What a waste of time.

Gary

• Ro
      21st of Feb, 2010

It is the old saying...Buyer beware!!!
    If it looks too good to be true...it usually is!!!

• Di
      17th of May, 2010

This happened to us too, I only wish we had read this first.

• Ca
      20th of May, 2010

Unfortunately, it happened to us as well. Three years ago we “lost” 10, 000 dollars in this scheme, and now we are being charged 149 dollars to cover some bad business decisions they made last year. Has anybody else being charged? Is there a way out?

Carlos

• Al
      8th of Jun, 2010

We all know that this is a scam now!
    What we need is representation or a way out!
    Can anyone represent us - this plea is going out to any law firm that is will to take this case. I am sure that you will get a large number of poor souls that were scamed by "The Vacatuib Store".

Please reply with some information on how to fight these guys and hopefully get our money back!

Another Scamed Customer :-(

• Di
      8th of Jun, 2010

I got that email I have already given up on my initial money and am not giving them another dime! To add insult to injury I just got a phone call telling me I was selected for a prize, but the name was different (Canadian Value Solutions) when I googled the name it is the same address and they even have a picture of the building. They need your $149 to fund more scam telemarketing. These people are evil.

20th of Sep, 2010

We paid $3995. for the 5 year trail membership plus 2 years due to our limited availability. Thank you very much we can now pay dues for an extra two years.
    Our experiences so far has been...no free trip, the price for the trip to Cancun worked out to be more than an all-inclusive with a time limit to boot.
    Secondly, the free cruise to Alaska with Royal Caribbean Cruise lines in reality was $1600. American on Carnival Cruise lines.
    We identified that our availability was limited to Christmas and mid summer to which they said no problem done neglecting to tell us that fees for high peck times was double the price, (already higher than any other travel club).
    So far we are into our fourth year and we haven't gotten off the ground.
    This past March an additional $149. was needed to help bail them out, apparently too much inventory.
    Annual fees coming due again, bad investment.
    Buyer beware, read between the lines. That is where you will find the truth.

• Im
      26th of Sep, 2010

We got scammed as well. The people whom we had to deal with at THE RESORT VILLA Woodbridge put tremendous pressure on us to buy. It was a very costly price to pay for being so gullible and not checking out this operation more thoroughly. I don't know how these people live with themselves and go sleep at night knowing they are scamming and cheating people. What goes around comes around.

27th of Sep, 2010

You would think as far as the business is concerned it would be more satisfying to have happy customers instead of unhappy coerced ones.
    I wonder if an ombudsman would be able to help?

• Sg
      21st of Oct, 2010

Thanks for all these post I got the call today and there gonna call me back in three days to cofirm a time.
    No sales pitch
    no movey needed
    I just won a free trip from Canadian value solutions( just need to show up at a specific time with 1 piece of Id

GOd i am so lucky eh...
    I just checked up there name on the BBB website and found no complaints there
    You guys should repost on there website since that's the first place peaple check

• Ho
      2nd of Nov, 2010

My experience with Resort Villa Vacations was basically as described above by the many victims. We simply got taken! The first vacation I tried out didn't work either, we paid in advance with my CC for reservations and were left out in the open. My wife and I are now trying to take the case through the Justice System. I intend to pursue my case hoping this will make people aware of this type of SCAMS. Unfortunately, those of us who tend to be most trusting of others are the ones who stand to loose the most.

2nd of Nov, 2010

Do let us know if you have any success!!

• Gb
      7th of Apr, 2011

When we received a call from CVS, TVS or whatever name they go by at the moment, my wife was taken in at first and agreed to visit their Chrislea location on Sat April 9, 2011. She called me at work and wanted to tell me some wonderful news but wanted to wait until I got home to discuss it. After having been to a few timeshare presentations, I refuse to got to them anymore, so she was hoping that in person she could get me to agree to go because the person the phone said it was not a presentation and we would get 2 free vacation packages (incl airfare) just for attending. When she told it was located in Woodbridge, alarm bells went off, as we'd been to Woodbridge a few years back for a non-presentation on which I walked out, so I told her no way would I be going. After a bit of cajoling I said I would reconsider, which was true - I did reconsider it until I got home and asked Dee a few more questions. First off when I asked about how we would get our "free vacations" Dee replied that we only had to attend for 90 minutes, but it's not a presentation. If I have to attend for a set length of time, how is that not a presentation? I asked. And what about the airfare - is it from Toronto? Was my next question. So Dee set about doing a bit of research and within a few minutes declared, "that's it, we're not going, these people are crooks!" So thanks for the heads up - it made my life much easier 'cause I knew there was no way I would be signing anything other then a rude hand gestures at their "non-presentation".

• Ef
      10th of Jan, 2012

unfortunately my wife and I did attend a presentation back in 2009 in Woodbridge, with the promise of a vacation trip, we believe all they said and fell victim of this "RESORT VILLAS SCAMMERS, some how this people convinced us, to sign a membership and we put down a down payment of $1, 600 with our CC and we got the rest financed by a TRIAD INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION, last year after a illness in our family
    I tried to cancel the membership and also contacted triad corporation and explain my situation, they do not care, basically they told me to pay no matter what or they will send to a collections agency and also is no cancellation the membership or the financed money, up today they keep accrued interests on the loan . it looks like is no way out of this,
    by the way we did not got any free vacation trip, and no vacation at all, hopefully some law firm can represent us

• Ro
      5th of Oct, 2012

The new name is suitelife vacations, If you've been invited to suite life vacations at 690 Rowntree Dairy road, suite 201 Woodbridge,
    Ontario, L4L 5T7 don't waist your time, this is a scam, a timeshare sales scheme and believe me they are convincing and will try at any cost to make you buy, they promise you a prize to get you there, in my case a free Niagara falls trip all you have to do is come to the location and listen to a 60 min show, not true, the sales thing is over 3hs long and hard pressure I mean very hard core pressure and the so called prize is not even real just a peace of paper saying i have won a trip, you have to call to activate it and pay, the administration fees, the taxes and some sort of hotel fee, don't fall for it, it's just a waist of time if you google the time shares they try to sell you get the same deals for a fraction of what they are selling I am so thankful I didn't buy into it.

• Me
      12th of Nov, 2012

This is a huge scam if anyone knows how we can get our initial investment out that would be great! Too take advantage of peoples innocence and trustworthiness is horrible!!! they should not be able to get away with this!!! There should be someone that can help all of us in this same situation

• St
      15th of Nov, 2012

Almost 10 years ago my husband and I attended one of these "scams" as everyone is calling them. We had a 4 month old at home and having traveled yearly before becoming pregnant, (and thinking we'd never be able to afford it again) my husband and I bought in for the 49, 000 points (which was doubled to 90, 000 when we were skeptical..). I admit, it was a lot of money. And then there were the 'maitenence' fees and the extra money if you actually wanted a bedroom, not just a hotel room, and then the bale out fee. So, yes, it gets frustrating and costly. BUT, have any of you tried to use it anywhere besides somewhere down south? We have. We live in Ontario and have used it three times at 2 different resorts in Northern Ontario. Awesome resorts, Awesome rooms and a great time had by all. We are booked in again this year at yet another different 5 star resort in Ontario before Christmas and our kids can't wait. We used it to go to Mexico 3 years ago (which we also sold a week to friends travelling with us) and are using it to take the kids to Disney in 2013. We have made great memories. You just need to open your minds to other destinations. We are no where near 'loaded" or accostumed to staying in "Ritz" style resorts. We are the typical average Joe family. I am a p/t stay at hom mom, we have a mortgage, bills, car payments, 2 kids and planning for a future. Sometimes you just have to make the best of it. Happy travels everyone. May this be your silver lining. I am telling you, give them a call, and just try. You'll be glad you did.