Real Del Mar / Not honoring contract

Mexico Review updated:
In December of 2004 I went to Baja to purchase a retirement/vacation home. I entered into a contract with Pedro Corona, a business man from Tijuana to purchase a home in the development, Real Del Mar. The sales office of Real Del Mar handeled all the process. I was supposed to get the home in July of 2005. Pedro's son, Jose Luis Corona is the project manager. He has lied to me over the last two years about getting the house. Pedro was going to get me a house that was already built, then Jose wanted more money. He told me in Mexico they have a saying, " A bad deal is better than a good fight." Anyway, I heard from others in the same situation, and am suing using the same attorney. I want anyone interested purchasing a home in Mexico to be aware that the company, which is part of Frisas Construction, has a very bad reputation. Do not do business with REAL DEL MAR. They do not respect women, Americans, and tell us what we want to hear. There are many good developments, but the sales office at Real Del Mar, Baja, is not ethical.

A  2nd of Jul, 2007 by
I know of others who have had similar problems with Real Del Mar, Jose Luis Corona, and Coldwell Bank Baja. My advice is go somewhere else to avoid a long and nasty fight. Jose Luis Corona says that in Mexico there is a saying that a bad deal is better than a good fight. Now isn't he clever. He likes to insult his victims of scams and fraud by implying you are being screwed and should be happy about it.
A  4th of Jul, 2007 by
I am a resident in Mexico, and hear hundreds of stories a year about companies and people like this. Visit the United States Department of State and read the warnings about doing business in Mexico. They have had thousands of complaints. The reason the Mexican economy is so bad is their business practices are bad. Could you imagine what San Diego would be like if it still was in Mexico, dah... TJ. Mexicans claim California, but thank God it is part of the United States of America, they would have ruined it too. Why are people thinking they can have a good life in a country where so many of their people are fleeing. They don't like Mexico either. I am going back to France as soon as I can.
A  9th of Jul, 2007 by
I visited Baja a year and a half ago, thinking about retirement. I went on a bus tour of areas sponsored by Coldwell Banker. To hear them you would think everything would be so easy. I stayed at the Marriott in Real Del Mar, with some friends who were playing golf at the course there. I visited their sales office. They told me if I bought one of the last houses available it would be ready in a few months. Well, my friends go there and play golf, and where they said my house would be is just a pile of dirt. I just did not feel comfortable dealing with people who are pushing their stuff and forgetting about basics, like inspections and title insurance. I am glad I did not buy at Real Del Mar. I think it is best to rent down there. When you want to leave, is is so much easier. From the dealings I had with the sales staff I am not surprised that others are being lied to and cheated.
A  30th of Jul, 2007 by
Because their reputation is so bad they are trying another strategy using different contractors to finish building in the Real Del Mardevelopment. One of these is Pacifica at Real Del Mar. They are taking over the defunct condominium project that was supposed to be built two years ago.

The important thing is to follow the guidelines by the United States State Department and some states attorney's generals offices: Get competent legal advice to guide you through the contract process. An example of this is to make sure the word "tentative" is not inserted with the projected delivery date. They were putting this in mine and my attorney made them take it out. This word gives the seller years to deliver the house. A good attorney would catch such tricks and make sure you have a solid contract with teeth. This is only one example of wording a good attorney will know to look at. In the end we decided the development was just too risky. We also noticed that there are a lot of units and houses back on the market because of the real estate slow down. We are going to rent for a while and when we see that the prices have bottomed out we will buy, if we still want to. Some friends of ours rented for a few months and decided that the ocean view in a country of poverty was not that much fun. I am still going to try to rent in a development that shields me from the poverty and the smells of the sewage most of the time. It is pretty sad.
A  7th of Aug, 2007 by
I had thought Real Del Mar was good. We used to refer buyers to them. In the last two years they have done some things that have caused us to break ties. We don't use attorneys for our buyers, we are afraid of the higher fees. It already costs around $15,000.00 in closing costs for a buyer on a $200,000.00 property. If they get into hiring attorneys, and inspectors then it gets even higher. The taxes when selling are governed by strict regulations so it is expensive to sell too. We try to do it for as small a cost as we can, we only hope the buyer is happy and does not want to sell soon, because it is not cost effective to "flip" houses in Baja.
A  23rd of Nov, 2007 by
I just found out that the man who ran Coldwell Banker in Rosarito has filed bankruptsy. He filed in the U.S. with a list of creditors who put down deposits in Baja. This is why no one should give anyone cash. They should demand the use of escrow accounts as there are in the United States.
A  25th of Dec, 2007 by
There are reasons for the laws that protect buyers of real estate in the United States. It does not surprise me that many of the developers in Mexico and real estate agents are from the U.S. and ripping people off in ways that aren't allowed here. I was going to buy a timeshare in Mexico, then researched it and found out the scam it was. I looked at a site that was mentioned in complaints about Mexico and found that the U.S. state department actually does warn Americans against signing contracts in Mexico. We are not given full protection and it is important that we understand that before making any legal agreement.
N  7th of May, 2010 by