Preferred Merchant Supplies / Merchant Supplies Scam

Company calls receptionists pretending that they have been providing our credit card machine supplies on a regular basis and did we want them to go ahead and ship out our next order. Receptionist believes them and "approves" shipment. We have never done business with them before. Days later we receive supplies at a price that is 10 times the average market price with very high shipping fee. They charged us $162.50 for two 12 packs(24) of thermal 2-ply credit card machine paper(we use single ply). The average cost from a legitimate provider is $31.25 for a 50 pack. Beware this is a scam.

Comments

Ca
  7th of Nov, 2007

Just wondering if you happened to get a phone number for these people we are having the same problem the woman proceed to tell me I have 6 boxes coming and rejected them and she then hung up on me.

Le
  8th of Nov, 2007

Same thing happened to me! Beware. I tried to call them to get a return pick up # and they will not give out. We have to pay for the shipping, even though with the package of thermal rolls there is a page that explains Total customer Satisfaction Guarantee , no where on this page does it say that shipping and handling are not included if you return the package. This has to be done within 30 days if. I explained that we didn't even have an invoice sent and that I think they must send the invoice after 30 days!

In the end, they called back and advised that we can keep the pack of 10 thermal rolls for free, as shipping for return would cost them more! Nice of them, but, we are a company that pays for product within reason!!! I would still like to issue them a check for a reasonable cost of product.

Ro
  29th of Nov, 2007

We have also had this happen to us and have been in contact with them since the summer. We shipped the unsolicited paper back to them COD which they refused. Subsequently it was returned to us which we then refused. They keep sending bills, which we don't pay, and all they say when we tell them we sent the package back is " We'll look into it." I found this complaint because I was looking for a website for them. Kind of reassuring that we're not alone.

Gb
  12th of Dec, 2007

I've got a problem over an order I made for 4 boxes of product at a dicount price before the price goes up, the discount price is the Old price. I recived the a box with 4 seperate boxes of 15 rolls each for $246.32.

I then get a call asking when I would like delivery of the rest of my order. it seems that in fact I ordered 4 boxes of 4 boxes of 15 rolls each. I was told because I took the first box at the dicount price so I had to take the other 3 boxes of 60 rolls each. $246/box. I barely needed 60 rolls, why would I order 240 rolls? I also apparently cannot pay the full price for the rolls I have already recieved.

Shipping called me to have it sent out. I managed to confirm that a box of rolls was 15, and if I had recieved 60 rolls I had recieved my full order. I mentioned my first conversation with the Customer service woman trying hard to get me to agree to the additional order. he said he would make a note for the supervisor.

the woman calls me back later in the week to complain about my complaint and tells me I still have to take the extra boxes.

I too found this website because I was looking for the perferred merchant supplies company website. which I am still unable to find.

Ms
  12th of Dec, 2007

I agree, this is a scam. I work for a client who had turnover of their receptioninst, and "Preferred Merchant Supplies" managed to ship a 20lb box of credit card tape and then charge my client $500.00. I had my client's new receptionist call and get a return shipping authorization, and to return the order. They said they would not pay the shipping, and were reportedly hostile.

I tried several times unsuccessfully to contact PFS. Doing some investigative work, I went to the Florida State website and discovered that PFS is a "fictitious name", and that the owners of the company are also in other business ventures including "Dieuvil Financial Services" in Miami.

Being suspicious, I contacted the Florida State AG and was referred to the Federal Trade Commission website where it states that highly overpriced and unauthorized shipments of product received are to be considered a gift. Thanks for the credit card tape!!

If anyone gets caught up with PFS, I would discontinue any communication, and let all vendors know you require PO#s. That way no scams will get through your defenses.

Ms

Amending my post...

In error I referred to Preferred Merchant Supplies as PFS, not PMS. Not to be offensive but hmmm, ironic?

Je
  13th of Dec, 2007

Scam scam scam, what is wrong with the world. Received a past-due invoice from them yet we never ordered anything.

Sa
  25th of Dec, 2007

Preferred Merchant Supplies has been calling me for years to "confirm" my order and give permission to ship. I have always declined because I know it is a scam and will never buy from them. However, after years of trying, they were answered by my friend in my office while I was away. They 'confirm' my name, company name, address etc and say that they are 'confirming' MY order to them. She did not know the history but assumed since I ordered it it was ok to confirm it.

Then right away a second call from their warehouse getting approval for shipping. Again she agreed since I had ordered it. When I got back to the office she told me about the call and I could not find a number to call back. When the pa ckage arrived we got the phone number and called - only a message machine-We left a message to come pick up their parcel as we did not make any original order and certainly did not want it. They did not respond.

We faxed a copy of the shipping order with our note telling them to pick it up. no response.

Then a month later we got an invoice from them. The phone number was different. The price was exhorbitant (I sell these items in my business why would I buy them at more than I sell them for?) I phoned and spoke to two women the last of which played back her "legal " taping of our call when my friend "confirmed the shippment" I asked her to play the original sales rep's call where she misrepresented the facts. Conveniently they don't record those calls. I told her to pick it up and that I would not pay for it as I did not order it in the first place. She said I could ship it back at my expense. I insisted that they pay shipping or it would just sit in a corner of my shop until they came to pick it up.

She said she would fax me a form. It never came.
This kind of practice is a scam and the people that run it are theives. The problem is how many times they are successful because the people they usually get to answer the phone do not know. Everyone needs to be alert to this kind of sleezy practice. I am telling everyone around here.

El
  6th of Mar, 2008

I have also been scammed. And I am extremely upset. One of my employees agreed as well, and they just sent an order of 2 boxes. I received a bill for $454.13. I refuse to pay this. I will bring it to a lawyer if they insist on payment. These people should be brought to justice.

They can sue me if they want - they'll be sorry.

Ka
  15th of Mar, 2008

The same thing!! This company is very unethical and needs to be stopped. Please report to the Better Business Buereau.

Ma
  20th of Mar, 2008

I am sooooo glad I found this page. I am having the same problems. This company, based in Montreal, does nothing but harrass us. I received another call today. They insist that we must buy and we still have one more shipment. We have never signed anything with them. I have sent them a registered letter asking them to stop calling and sent them photocopies of the final invoice that clearly states - Final Shipment - written by them ... yet they continue to call. I cannot believe that nothing has been done to stop this company. Is this not against the law?!? I am definitely going to try to pursue this matter further. For those of you who belong to BNI - Business Networking International - I strongly suggest spreading the word around to all chapters about this company. I sent an e-mail back in October to the BBB - Better Business Bureau about PMS (how appropriate), but received no response.
Something must be done about this company. Please post your suggestions or if you know for a fact that something can be done to stop them from continueing to harrass ... I am sure that many will happily join in to put an end to PMS.

Ne
  9th of Apr, 2008

Our company was defrauded by 2 former employees who stloe our data base and opened their own company.

Unknown to administration at Preferred Merchant Supplies, these 2 people led us to belive merchandise was shipped to clients when in fact it wasn't as these orders and accounts were stolen.

Since March 2007 until today our legal battle continues. Please rest assure that we are doing everything possible to satisfy all clients.
Thank you for your anticipated understanding.

Ne
  5th of May, 2008

We have sent each individual complainant an e-mail requesting info such as account or invoice numbers in order to rectify any situation(s).
However, to date we have heard from no client and/or company.
Seeing as how you all managed to find the time to post on this site, one would think that you would be anxious to rectify your particular matter.
LET IT NOT BE SAID THAT PREFERRED MERCHANT DOES NOT SATISFY THEIR CLIENTS AS WE HAVE TAKEN EVERY POSSIBLE MEASURE TO DO SO AND NOW AWAITT YOUR CONTACT. Thank you.

Wi
  13th of Jun, 2008
Preferred Merchant Supplies - Won't stop calling
Preferred Merchant Supplies
307 Manufacturers Rd
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Phone: 423-756-8181

They refuse to stop calling. They refuse to speak to anyone except the owner and are extremely rude. When I try to tell them we aren't interested, they get rude and hang up on me. They have called every day for the past week and a half and I can not reply back to the phone number as it sounds like a fax machine. I've tried sending a fax to it and it won't go through.

Li
  8th of Jul, 2008

Do not believe whoever this "Neil" person is. This company continues to violate the FTCs Telemarketing Laws - and continues to attempt to bully the supposed "clients" it holds in such high esteem with never-ending "Final Notice" letters, etc. If one of your staff has been duped by this low-life scam company - simply send them a letter thanking them for the free gifts and ignore their empty attempts to sue you or "effect" your credit. They are cowardly and impotent - operating not on fair and open business practices, but with deception and malice.

In order to rid the landscape of these bottom feeders, I suggest each person who has encountered PMS to send a complaint outlining their experience to the Federal Trade Commission - it's easy to do online at "https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/".

Li
  22nd of Sep, 2008
Preferred Merchant Supplies - Call Scams
Preferred Merchnat Supplies

They constantly call saying "We have to honor our discount and will ship out rolls or credit card paper" - I was sucked in and now they don't go away. I fought with them months ago about the rolls of paper, said FINE send them I OVERPAID for the product and told them not to call again. Well, they just called and wanted to send the stupid rolls AGAIN. I told them "no way, we will no longer be doing business with them" and again he wanted to honor the discount and send. I said I already received them - no you will not send me anything - he hung up. Be wise - do not fall for their trick.

St
  26th of Sep, 2008

Same thing happened to me. I own a small retail outlet. One day 2 boxes of supplies plus credit card cleaner was sent to the store. A young sales associate, signed for it not knowing. I started to receive bills at twice the rate I usually pay. I tried to call them to figure out who had ordered or what had happened and nothing. I'm sending them back COD and will play the same game as the person above had written.

Ta
  2nd of Oct, 2008

We had the same thing here in Canada, I own a small boutique. PMS called my mgt saying that our order was ready to ship and wanted the ok to go ahead. She thought I had ordered the supplies and aproved it. When this pk of cc cleaners and 12 rolls for debit arrived for 162.00 I freaked! I didnt order it and tried to contact the company. I only ever got the answering machine and no one returned my calls. I sent the pkg. back COD and paid 30.00. it was denied by PMS and returned, shortly after I recieved a call from them demanding payment! To say the least I was not very impressed and refussed to pay...I may have droped a few f-bombs. I was told that the pkg was refussed because a restocking number was required for PMS to accept the return. I finally agreed to return the pkg with the restocking number at my expense. They have started calling again saying that the pkg has not been recieved and want thier money. I have tried to return thier calls but only get a answering machine again, this last time I called the number was disconected. Bottom line is i'm out 45.00 dollars in shipping, dont have any product and they want their 162.00. I plan to file a complaint and hope others do the same.

Kr
  30th of Oct, 2008

We have answeared the phone for them and now for some reason we have recieved the supplies and we can not send it back to them and they are saying that they are sending the bill to collections. They are still calling giving an invoice number being very rude and they just have hung up on me. All i want is to give the supplies back that we did not order and to get our money that we have lost shipping cod.

Ho
  11th of Nov, 2008

Here is the phone number they gave us...877-920-7559; they claimed to have dropped our rate we've been paying...we have never purchased from them before.