Pc Pro Schools / Scam

1 Grand Rapids, MI, United States Review updated:

PC Pro is a complete scam. I was scammed by the admissions rep (sales jockey) to coming to this over priced school. They promise the world but only deliver $26, 000 in debt. The credits do not transfer and employers are not interested in a non-degree. Certifications are great but need a degree to back it up. I could have completed a degree for that price. I feel that they are feeding of people’s desperation here in Michigan but cannot deliver anything but debt.

More Pc Pro Schools Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ar
      1st of Apr, 2009

You should have listened during the orientation. They never promise anything. I start my classes tomorrow actually. During my intro session they said and enforced they only offer the tools to get a job in the computer field. They help get internships, and employment. I did the BBB, Rip-Off thing after my first session. It's a risk, just like school is. Granted I only paid 14k for my 6 month program due to some economic crisis special they had going on or some BS, I spent 8 years doing full and part time college with no degree. I am sure I spent more than 14k on that, but I managed to land a good job because I have experience. I have a solid resume, I interview well, and I am confident I will get a computer job soon. As a matter of fact I am interviewing for a Computer Operator position tomorrow as well before my lab starts. I know it's frustrating, hell I was also very frustrated after I signed all the papers, but now I am thinking clearly about it. I friend of mine went to Tech Skills for his certifications, and while he's not making 80k a year (after 5 years) he's still making around 55k which is 12k more than I make currently.

On a side note, my sister-in-law went to UW-Oahkosh for 5 years. She spent an average of 3.5k a year while she was attending not including books and all other miscellaneous college expenses you don't normally incur not going to college. So 17.5k spent for education, she couldn't find a job. She is nor working at McDonald's, making more money she made than a job she landed at an insurance company after a year of looking. She's a shift manager now making roughly 35k a year, so in essence she wasted her money in college as well because anyone can be a shift manager at MCD's, you don't need a college education for that job.

It's a scary thing, frustrating, big investment. I have a wife, and a kid, this 14k plus interest is way more than I want to be taking on now, but this is the only chance a person in my situation has at getting back into the field.

All schools are a business, and try to sell their program to you, PC Pro's may seem a little sleezy, but it's honestly no different than what Universities do. You are responsible for the end result of nearly all situations in life. You like I decided to attend PC Pro Schools, it's really up to you to sell yourself in interviews, and you are responsible for taking full advantage of the career services center at PCPro, I haven't even started yet and there are 3 people at the school with copies of my resume.

• Se
      8th of Apr, 2009

I was also dealt a bad hand with PC ProSchools...and I understood the risk when I signed up (while also thinking will it pay off-the 25k in private loan tuition). PC ProSchools mentoring was medocre at best since I-and the whole class- felt the TA was not a very good teacher...and it is due to this that I didn't even get my diploma from PC ProSchools.
    I wrote to the school asking for more help and to unlock the rest of my practice exams and they have yet to respond or do anything about it-been over 3 months now. Obviously the school is a business, but they should at least have some decency to respond to people (even after paying the rediculous amount of tuition).
    On another note, you will NEVER get back the amount of money you put into this school...I will give you two reasons...One=they try to place you at a help desk type position, which usually leads nowhere fast. Two=the people who took the loan option will end up paying $50k when all is said and done...which will never be made back because technology constantly changes and you will have to pay more money to keep current with certifications. Optional=this program offers NO DEGREE, and that is what employers today want-not certifications (that are mostly outdated based from industry standards).
    I am all for filing a class action lawsuit...has anyone else already done so?

-Sean

• Pa
      8th of Apr, 2009

I went to the school that used to be or is here in Green Bay and didn't get anything out of it other than 20, 000+ in debt. I've thought of class action myself and agree with everyone who calls it a money making scam.

Paul

13th of Jul, 2009

Hey ARF,

I just finished my class, June 2009 and I thought the same thing you did when I started. No guarantees. I thought working hard, succeeding and making my own luck was the way to go.

Write back and let me know if and when the light goes on in your head when you realize the difference between "no guarantee" and "no possibility".

Instructor day one: People will be happy to pay you $50-60K a year to keep their networks running.
    Instructor day 140: You're entry level help desk. Take $10 an hr if you can get it.

A student recently got promoted out of Level I and it qualified for news on the PCPro website. http://blog.pcpro.edu/ - June 30

Former Student, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, SDP, PCHT
    $30K paid, months of apps, 1 job offer, $9.50/hr

• Zo
      16th of Jul, 2009

I went to PcPro back in 2007, finishing in november. I have only had one job that was remotely even in the feild. That was working at Convergy's down in appleton doing help desk for $10 an hour. I decided to go back to my McD's job where I made $11 an hour. I now got a job doing fiberglassing where I make $14 an hour. I went in for interviews for IT and they tell me that they don't respect the school about what it teaches. I will be paying back over 50k in loan bills now for something completely worthless. Believe me, if you haven't been suckered into the scam yet, DON'T. Biggest waste of money and time.

• We
      25th of Sep, 2009

OK... Here's the deal. All of you make very good points both ways, but what's a guy to do here? Should I or should I not. Some of these posts are quite old, so what's the verdict? By now, someone should have an answer. What did you guys do? I'm wanting to enroll, but after reading this, I'm have second, third and forth thoughts. Help a guy out here. Mighigan has been in the top of the unemployment list seems like forever. Here in Western Michigan work is very slow, so should I or should I not?

12th of Oct, 2009

If you think you are going to walk in, work hard, graduate and walk out with a decent paying tech job to keep your head afloat immediately, don't do it.
    If you are willing to spend a lot of money to get your foot in the door somewhere for single digits per hour and maybe build on that over the next 10-15 years, I guess its better than not having any training. I've seen basic helpdesk jobs that want 5 years experience.
    I don't think there's anybody who came out of that school and became an instant network administrator without some sort of experience to begin with that was worth more than the training itself. Just getting the certs with no experience behind it doesn't impress anyone whos hiring. And they pump out anywhere from 30-50 more 'professionals' every couple months to further aggravate hr managers everywhere who are flooded with unqualified and inexperienced resumes.
    The school says you should be sending out 40 resumes a week because hiring managers may remember you if something you're qualified for (which isn't much) comes along. Thats laughable to anyone with enough sense not to want to get on a list of people deemed too stupid to know they have no business applying for certain jobs. I'm hard pressed to find two a week to apply for just to keep up with my unemployment requirements.

• Gr
      22nd of Oct, 2009

I was at the orentation yesterday and then went back today with a family member that does IT for a living (last 15 years). I liked everything they said until the tuition was brought up. They told me it was a great time to enroll because of some of the scholorships they were offering. I was told of the $28, 000 tuition that I had $13, 000 in scholorships and grants so that left me with $15, 000 for tuition. Then he asked my cousin if he would co-sponsor for the remaining of the tuition, in which he did. Later in the afternoon he game me a call and said I was approved, here were the numbers he gave me-- 3months @ $75 9months @ 150 THEN $220 month for TEN YEARS @12.5%.. I THINK I WILL PASS.. for that type of $$ I will buy my own server & the books and save lots of $$$.. Hope this helps someone before they make a big mistake.

Grand Rapids

• Co
      4th of Nov, 2009

I worked for PCProschools as a Admission rep they pressure theire employes to sign up students. They constanly promised but they NEVER deliverd. If you pay attention to the employee turn over ratio, it speaks for it self. STAY AWAY BIG RIP OFF. They are highly over priced. You are better off going to a State School. This is inside information

27th of Nov, 2009

Now they are radio advertising that they have more job orders than they have qualified candidates to fill them. As a listener in good faith who's unfamiliar with the school, you assume they are saying that attending their school will qualify you to land one of those jobs. The problem is, you're still not qualified for any of those jobs even after you finish the school, but you won't know that until well after they've taken your money. Listeners trust that PCPro's intentions are honorable. If you were to call them out on that fact, they would probably stand behind a dozen lawyers and say "play us the part of the ad that says we can get you into that job. We aren't responsible for assumptions made by the listener". And that makes it legal. Shady, dishonest and misleading, but legal.
    Its no secret there are hundreds of unfilled IT jobs out there. There are probably plenty of executive jobs at a major company near you too but you won't get one of those jobs just because you took Econ101 at the local annex.

• Bu
      29th of Nov, 2009

You all should have listened. The evidence was there and the crazy cat that posted his report lost everything in his battle against that school. Last time I seen him was a year ago he was moving from place to place. He was financially ruined, divorced and bankrupt I felt bad for the cat. A school that sues it former students because he calls them out on there scams and you decide to attend any way.

• Be
      2nd of Dec, 2009

Wow... I am truly amazed as I sit and read through this post. I See consumer anger and zoomman113 being very articulate about there criticism. I like all who show up at that orientation was in a hole financially and work wise. I hated my job, installing ceramic tile, which paid very well. I took a chance and decided to go. I do see consumer angers point with some of the recruits. If you can't tie your shoes don't show up and sign the contract, but seriously some of the students where unsure of the difference between right and left clicking a mouse. I will say now so all who read this know if you're one of these people don't sign up.

I did know how to operate a mouse, but after that wasn't that much more skilled. I took everything that they were teaching to heart and put in the effort. This is NOT an easy way out. The course is difficult. It takes a lot of study and practice to learn the information that is being given in a short amount of time.

After getting my MCDST certification from the school. I went and found myself a job. It was an entry level Help Desk job. I started at 10.00 hr, major pay cut. I knew that would happen because I read up on the pay scale. It took my Six months to become a Systems administrator, 13.50 hr. I then was given an oppertunity to become the Network Administrator 1 year into this field. I will say it was a bit of luck that our old administrator left and I was more that willing to take his spot but i had to beat out two other co-workers that had been with the IT department for 3 yrs.

Moral of the story. If you want a career in IT the school works, IF you do. The gates of heaven will not open and the yellow brick road will not lead you to the promise land. You have to earn it and it starts with class. It matters not which school you choose just know that 6mon., 2 year or 4 year. In the end your the one that has to get a job. They can't do an interview for you. They can't read the books for you. They cant take the tests for you.

P.S.

WastedMoney- Stop playing the victim...

4th of Dec, 2009

Playing the victim huh? You hear the radio ads. You hear them say that they have more jobs than qualified students. Offering scholarships to help fill these jobs. Then you admit yourself that you took whatever bottom of the barrel job you could find just to get started. No wonder class was hard for you. You don't even grasp you were duped. I can't help you with that. When they made those claims before I signed up, when they told me that they'd placed 93% of their students, I believed them too. I don't anymore.

I've been looking for work since I started the school in february. I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 entry level jobs in any IT discipline since then. Call center, junior admin, tech support, whatever. When I was taking my fifth exam for networking, there were people in there taking the XP test for the third time. I blew through that school with no difficulties and got my MCP, MCDST and MCSA before the graduation. Yet they still advertise they have all these jobs they can't fill. Since June, you know how many times the school has contacted me saying 'here's someone that wants to interview you'? Zero. None. The school is not coming to me and saying 'heres one of those great jobs we say we can get you'. Why aren't they calling me? Because just finishing the school with an MCSA doesn't qualify you either. Especially for the students who 'don't have previous computer experience' that are the backbone of their admissions.

If their radio ads said 'hey, c'mon on in and pay tons of cash to start over at the bottom', I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. But thats far from what they're saying. They say they're giving you options in these troubled times. I say the options aren't there. The school is not telling me I kicked ### and heres a shot at legit employment. I was making $10 an hour in 1990, I coulda gone to Kmart and earned that stocking shelves without $30k in tuition. But they implied more. Being desperate to support my family and keep my home, I believed them. And I'm paying big time.

I went to the job fair in April or May and there were people milling around that hadn't found work since graduating the previous June, 2008. There was one service that actually said they were looking for customer service people and I presented my resume. I didn't even get a callback. You know who they hired? The guy who had been working at best buy the last ten years. The guy who sat next to me, that I had to tell him to go to the START menu to install windows components. His customer service experience got that job, not his technical expertise. And thats where my issues began.

Don't try and hand me this crap that I can't get hired because of a bad attitude. I was happy as a clam in class, felt like I was accomplishing something, proud of my understanding and rareing to go when I was finished. But the severe lack of opportunities has changed my opinion. I thought being a top student would mean something. It hasn't got me anywhere. The placement service they tout has been nothing more than a weekly friday email of stale job board postings and craigslist ads that I had already applied for the previous sunday or monday.

I don't know when you began this IT career of yours, but I'm guessing it wasn't recently. Quit your job, leave off the previous experience and try again. See how far just having the schooling on there gets you. You'll see what I'm talking about.

7th of Dec, 2009

I have to agree with wastedmoney. I'm getting ready to start schooling and am looking at my options. most schools in my area suck as bad as pcpro. I've been doing computer building, repair, and network IT since I was 8. I can work on anything windows based you can set in front of me. I've been doing unqualified work for spare chump change for years now. I can outdo most 2 year grads. BUT.., If you don't have J O B experience, They don't give damn. Even after schooling, gotta have job experience. How you suppose to get job experience when nobody will hire you? I mean seriously, your suppose to pay this place 50k to start at a help desk job and move up...? hell, by the time they consider promoting you to a job that makes a damn difference in your wallet, oh snap! It's been long enough... Gotta go pay another 50k to update your quals... so, here's the deal. Keep your crappy job for now, check out the university of pheonix, get your friggin' masters with an ALL online schooling setup, and THEN take the extra grant money from the 8 years of school that you should save, buy some tools, lease a small building, and start your own business. It's the only way to beat the corporate game. Catch you on the flip-side peeps. I'm out.

• Bu
      28th of Dec, 2009

BeHonest101 do you work for PcProductivity. You see I ask if you work for the school because I came across these really interesting websites should check them out. Now what is really peculiar is some of the students landed jobs for Pc Productivity as Technical Support analyst or Tech 1 etc. What I discovered in further research is that Pc Pro Schools is Pc Productivity yet on the Pc Pro Schools web site it states they work for Pc Productivity. Well here is the link it takes a little bit to load but it's good research.

• Dj
      21st of Jan, 2010

I'm glad I came across this website/message board. I have a couple friends that are trying to get into the IT field and they have asked me for help. I mentioned to one of them to try PC Pro Schools and I'm glad they didn't listen to me. I personally attended WCTC (Waukesha County Technical College) and I had a job 2 semesters before I graduated. When I graduated I was offered a full time position with the company that I was with and I worked there for a few years. I have an Associates Degree in Electronics Technology, but I should've gone on and completed the Telecommunications course. It would've required only one or two more semesters of class, because a lot of the pre-reqs were shared between the two degrees. Today I have an excellent job and I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend going to a Tech school if you are looking for something that will get you farther than a certification. A certification is nice if you are trying to better yourself in a current job/position at a company that will value it.

• Td
      26th of Jan, 2010

I went to school there for one month decided i did not like that and dropped out now i am in debt $13, 000! any ideas anybody how i can get rid of this debt. trying to go back to school but this debt is killing me with interest i will end up owing almost $20, 000 for nothing! Please help me!

Email address: sexy_your_not@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Travis

2nd of Mar, 2010

So now, PCPro has released its "Transparency Report" to try and neutralize the critics. One sweeping generalization that 75% of their graduates "were employed in IT" and 25% "Other". So vague its flattering to them and so vague it can't be disputed. Absolutely no evidence is presented to support any of their "statistics".

Take the annual income graph as an example. I know for a fact that I did not work full time last year. I only worked 25% of the hours I was available to work during the six months after graduation. Yes, I fall into the "employed in IT" category. Am I included in the annual income graph? Was my income extrapolated somehow to reflect full time and placed there? How many incomes were extrapolated? Was I excluded entirely? How many others were included or excluded? Like I said above, no facts are presented to substantiate any statistics. And as far as that goes, they state that 81% of graduates reported income of $25000 or more for their first IT job. I was never asked to report anything in any form of official data collection so I have to ask, where, when and how was this data collected? They don't say. They then draw pages of favorable comparisons to this unexplained information. Any serious statistical analysis cites data. This is page after page of nothing more than "because we say so".

This report is the equivalent of going to the doctor because you don't feel well and receiving the diagnosis of "your sick". Thats true indeed. But not the whole story. This report is like your kid telling you he cleaned his room, and you notice a two foot tall lump under his blanket. The room may be clean, but if you peek under the blanket, suddenly you're not liking what you see.

If PCPro wants to be transparent, how about some hard facts, not vague generalizations. Tell us how many grads are currently employed, how much they're working and how much they earned in actual income. Show us the methodology of their analysis and how they got the data. Conduct some real reporting in an open format not subject to this simplistic analysis. I'm sure if the specifics were as impressive as the generalizations, they'd be using them instead.

In other news, PCPro has this job posting listed on 1/22/10. In part, it states:

PC ProSchools is looking to add an energetic sales professional to our team. Individuals that have succeeded in this role in the past typically have 1 – 4 years in a consulting sales or recruiting role.

The Position is for a "Career Advisor".

• Se
      2nd of Mar, 2010

Ok people...I think I have had about enough of PC ProSchools and their BS, they are not a reputable business and flat out lie to the people they select to attend their schools. I went there...they gave me my diploma (even though I don’t think I technically graduated), and I still cannot find a job. I ask for more help after graduation and it is nowhere to be found.
    Point is this...my life was a WHOLE lot better before I attended PC ProSchools because I actually had a job. Now I am jobless and I don't think any computer business would even glance at me because it is exactly how I said it was in a previous posting-a company doesn't care much about certifications they care about education and experience. Pushing students through a short curriculum designed for them to pass the tests needed for graduation is not career training in my opinion...and I am sure many of you feel the same. When I signed on I expected that companies would be knocking on my door, after successful completion, but no company wants someone with a bunch of outdated certifications and no experience as a desktop service technician.

PC ProSchools promised exceptional training and failed to deliver...any former students interested in gaining back some of what PC ProSchools stole from them have a right to be angry. We all need to join voices to bring down this school because they aren’t helping students they are hindering them and getting rich in the process-not to mention becoming another failure of the educational system.

Who would be interested in signing a formal complaint which will be used in a lawsuit?

4th of Mar, 2010

You are missing the point Sean. People HAVE sued PCPro. And lost. I'll bet they have a lot more legal resources to defend themselves than you've got to accuse them. That kind of money train don't roll without a lot of legal wheel grease. If you think you got took for the price of admission, wait till the lawyers get done with you.

This is PCPro's business model. Make a broad claim that requires the most minimal amounts of substantiation. A claim that looks good on the surface and is easy to prove. Legally, they are not lying. This is why they are still in business. Morally, thats something their own consciences have to deal with.

Say I told you I had a computer to sell.

If you wanted to buy it, you would look in the box to see whats in it. Board, processor, ram, video, audio, hd, disk drives. If there was nothing in it other than a board and processor and you bought it without looking, it may not be functional, but the truth is, I did what I said. I sold you a computer.

We bought PCPro without looking in the box. We got less than we had hoped for and we are SOL.

Thats why I post a few comments. Mostly to vent my frustration that I was so gullible that I leaped before I looked. Desperation does that, and they count on that to cash in. I said to people when I signed up, either I would kick butt and get a decent IT job, or because I was going down anyway, go down big. At that time I at least thought it was possible to get a decent job and I was excited at the possibilities. Look at the last couple newsletters they sent out in Feb and March. The "Hot Job Opportunities" they list all require degrees, a year or more of experience, SAP, A+, all things that if you had, you wouldn't need PCPro to begin with. And now the radio ads say they're offering bonus Cisco certs. Thing is, its another cert that sounds good to you, but means nothing to an employer who wants experience before minimal training.

As time went on, my expectations were systematically lowered in the classroom. What started as "a career in the high paying field of IT" (not to be confused with "a high paying career in the field of IT, note the legal distinction) became "entry level help desk". Even the diploma every grad got says it's a "Help Desk/MCSA" program. Even though I was aware of only two grads actually having the MCSA when they got it.

The other reason I post is to warn. For any of you sitting on the fence wondering if you should sign up or not, the only thing I will say is this: See if they will show you anything more than vague, unsubstantiated claims. Some actual verified employment statistics. I don't think they'll give you any. If they lawyer up and say "we provide all the information the law requires us to provide", turn around and run. I didn't ask. I wish I had.