North American Shoppers Sweepstakes / Fraud

1 1957 KING STREETChatham, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 416-839-8417

I received a "CLAIM NUMBER" Letter and check for $4, 875.00 US dollars, stating that I had won in the "2nd Category" drawing on May 5, 2008.

The check was a part of bigger prize in the amount of $125, 000.00 US dollars. I simply needed to call the number [protected], and receive instructions as to collect my winnings. The CATCH?????...There always is...I just needed to wire them $2, 975.00 for Governmental Tax fees via Money Gram or Western Union and they would release the remaining funds to me.

Geroge Stanley is the (claim agent) and Mrs. Brenda Hicks is the )Promotional Manager).

I called the Hillsboro Police Department to file a complaint. They advised me that the have received several complaints and are looking into the matter. Please fax any information you have to the Hillsboro Police Department at 217/532-5599. Let's get use of our tax dollars and get the police department on this case to trace back the losers that are scamming us. Call the department if you have any questions 217/532-6129.

Al

Comments

• Sh
      22nd of Nov, 2008

SAME SCAM!!!

I was sent a letter and a check in the mail (sum of $3, 432.45) from Canada (postage marking). The letter read that it was my final winning notification letter from North American Shoppers Electronic Lottery. It said that I won $100, 000.00 from a total prize money of $75, 000, 000.00. The check was to be used to pay the international clearance fees of $3, 300.00 and the sum of my winnings was not $96, 568.00. It told me to contact my claim agent, Mr. Harrison Scott, within 30 days, at 416-822-5343 or 1-888-508-9444 between 9am and 8pm. It also came with a processing form with a claim number, winning number (that did not match the one on the previous sheet) On this form it had wire transfer, check, and draft spots as means of payment. This sheet also had the address for Overland Finance. The North American shopper address was no where to be found on any of the sheets, nor was it actually mentioned other than in the first paragraph of the "award" notice. The check was from a bank in Littleton, CO. It was Colorado Business Bank, N.A. )Littleton Co, 80120, Cobiz Financial, 23-320-1020) It had a check number, routing number and an account number. Also, the back was just like a regular check. I did not take it to the bank to have them look at it because I immediately went on the computer to find out if it is a scam. I am taking it down to the police station monday morning to make them aware of this situation. Many more people in my area (Hudson Valley, New York) may be in my situation.

1st of Dec, 2008

I received a check for $4875.00, and a letter stating that i was declared 2nd category winner in the May 5, 2008 drawing. When I called the number of the claim agent i was told to cash the check then call him back for the name and place to send $2975.00 Moneygram or Western Union directly to tax agent. According to a Mr. George Stanley(claim agent) this sweepstake is associated with Sams club"s and Walmart. It did not seem right to me so I checked googles and found other compaints about fraud and fakecheck scams.

• De
      1st of Dec, 2008

i just got this same exact letter in the mail today. i was so happy. i thought i really won but thank god i checked on it. i already put the check in to my bank though so the bank will know it's a fake right and i didn't wire them the money yet so i should be all set right?

• Ct
      15th of Feb, 2009

i recieved a letter containing a check for 4, 977.00 us dollars. The company name on the check is FAST FORWARDIND INC. the letter said I had won a shoppers sweepstakes on dec. 5, 2008 had ticket numbers, etc. This letter is from fast forwarding inc. International claims dept, 300 second street bolton, ontario l4b-1y7 tel# 1-647-206-3476. I looked up fastforwarding inc. online and theyu are a trucking company, i called them and they said this is a scam. as i figured it was.because it is sunday, i was asked to call back on monday to report this to thier investigating team.

• Bo
      18th of Feb, 2009

I also received a check in the mail for $4, 975.00 and tried to call the telephone # I was given in my letter only to find out that the mailbox was full and could not accept anymore calls. When I read the letter carefully I realized it was a scam, no official would ever ask you to pay taxes by MONEYGRAM or WESTERN Union directly to the TAX AGENT; I took the check to my bank and was told it was a fake. My letter came from Chatham Ontario Canada. Don't be fooled by the check although it really looks like a good check. Don't deposit this check as they will have access to your accounts.
    Westtown, NY

• Ed
      18th of Feb, 2009

I recieved a similar letter for 4, 975.00 dollars. They are now using world financial group as a front. The check looks very convincing. But anything that looks to good to be true usally is.In tough times like these don't let scam artist rob you of your hard earned money.
    Liberty MO

• Ib
      7th of May, 2009

I received a call from american shoppers network 18764759531 Katherine Henry 304 hALMARK, vALTIMORE, mARILAND 21064, SAYING THAT i WON A 50, 000.00 in lOUSVILLE, KY, but I have to send them 550.00 by western union to that address and call back them when I deposit the money so I can receive 50, 000.00 back...how come, I know it looks like a fraud.

• Ju
      9th of Jun, 2009

I talked to my bank and there is no way that the scammers can get access to your account...the only thing they are betting on is the fact that you will wire them the $2, 875. I contacted my bank becasue I did deposit it. They advised me to not draw ANYTHING against the $4, 875... let it sit there .. if it doesn't bounce... for a period of at least 90 days. There is a 99% chance it will come back to my bank as non-sufficient funds from the bank the check was drawn on ... BB&T... I did call BB&T to make sure funds were available and they were... I did not send or wire any money to anybody...

• Ld
      29th of Jun, 2009

I just received 2 of a similar call but from 8768417309. This time they claim I won over 1 million dollars but would have to meet them near a currency exchange to drive with one of their representatives to pick up my reward.

Right from the beginning of the phone call it was obvious that it was a scam and I asked not to be called again. Then he continued persisting that he had something important to tell me. I said I am not interested in buying anything or joining any networks. At that time he said that he wasn't selling anything and that he just wanted to let me know that I was a sweepstakes winner. I've never applied anywhere, nor do I believe such things so I right away told him never to call me again. Then he continued on, ignoring me. Finally, when I got angry and asked him for the company name, etc, he said, "Lady, I'm doing my job, and I'm not afraid of you. I will keep calling you as many times as I want."

This happened about 3 days ago, and today again, they called. This time from an 'Unidentified number" but leaving me a voice mail with the same phone number to call back. Obviously, I am not returning any of their calls.

Finally, I reported them to the FCC under claim #09-T00393874. If anyone would like to add to this complaint, please reference it in your communication with the FCC.

• Na
      16th of Jul, 2009

i received the same kind of letter. mine came from canada. adress 20 king st. ottawa, on. canada k6v3p6. there's a cashiers check for the amount of $4700. the letter states that there was a shoppers lottery held on may 20th, 2009 in the 10th category and apparently i am one of the lucky winners who is entitled to the sum of $120000 usm. it also says that please note that all the participants were selected through a random computer ballot draw from over 500000 shoppers names from selected stores in north america like wal-mart, sears, k-mart etc.

then it tells you to cash the $4700 check and then send the government/bond fees of $2980 via western union or money gram. it gives you claim number, batch no, claim managers name and phone number.
    when i called the number (647-994-7022) it said that massage box is full...call back later. so i tried dialing
    1-647-994-7022 and this time someone picked up the phone. he congratulated me and told me that i should just go to my acount and deposit the check. but at the same time he told me not to take the letter to the back since they are not supposed to see that letter..(huge red flag!!)...
    i decided to call them again in an hour. when the same guy picked up the phone i told him that i deposited that check. he put me on hold for good 3 minutes immediately after hearing about the deposit. then he got back on and said that well mam...next step would be for you to send this goverment bond fees to this name via western union. so i said ...welll i don't have any money ..can i wait till this 4700 check clears? he said ...oh yeah..not a problem. that is why we gave you that check so you know that we are not scamming...he gave me this address..."colleen stewart...london santon drive, ontario, canada and the zip code." and told me to call him back with the conformation number from western union so that they could send rent of the check ($115300) with in couple days...

lol...thank goodness..i went online and found out that it is a fraud...and now i am so thank ful that i didn't fall for it. he did manage to get my phone numbers during all this...

beware...it is a scam...and take that check and letter ...go to your nearest police station ...file a claim..that way they can put a stop to it...

• Fi
      23rd of Jul, 2009

i received a similair letter and check today and have not had a chance to call the number yet? The letter is postmarked from cananda but there is no return address? The letter states that I was one of the winners of the sweepstakes draw organized for all taxpayers and customers of particpating retail stores like wal-mart, Sears Etc. An entry slip with serial number 287-4501 attached to my nme drew the lucky winning numbers 5-6-20-41-24.
    the letter goes on to say I am entitled to the sum of US $120, 000.00 and I am advised to contact my assigned claims agent.
    at 1-780-710-0688
    Enclosed is a check of US 3, 500.00 which you will use to pay the government service Tax for NON candian residents, payable to your assigned tax agent by Moneygram or western union as stated below
    Tax Agent: Faith Johnson
    246 river side drive
    ottawa canada
    Tax Amount: $2, 500.00
    And the it states DO not act on the letter untill you speak with your claims agent, who will advise you on how to claim your winnings.

The check looks to be a real check, It is made out to me and my address fro 3, 500.00 funds from a fleet bank with an address of Fleet Maine, N.A south portland, ME?
    The check is from Aeropostale
    201 willowbrook blvd 7th
    floor wayne,
    New Jersey, NE 07470
    The address do not match up at all?
    At the top of the letter it has AT&T Financial services
    From the consumer protection dept?
    I dont understand how they can do this? what are they trying to get out of this deal? I think I will call them to see what the catch is and waht they want?

• Hu
      3rd of Aug, 2009

Has anyone recieved a check from AMERICAN FINANCIAL AND TAX, PROMOTION MANAGER. Lloyd Formerly, CALL 1-905-598-6162 HE'S WAITING ON YOUR CALL. WITH 50.000.00US DOLLARS FOR YOU.

OFFICERS OF THE LAW HERE'S YOUR MAN GO GET HIM...

• Br
      4th of Aug, 2009

I got the same exact letter I did call the number and they want you to cash the check or deposit it so they know its you...the person on my letter is Elizabeth N. Francis. Then when you pay the taxes on your winnings they will send you a certified check of your supposed winnings by federal express..on mine they gave me some of my supposed winnings upfront of 800 dollars plus the 2000 to pay the taxes~not sure what they want and not sure how they get away with this if it is a scam...Im glad I looked it up...

• Aw
      24th of Aug, 2009

I received a letter from AT&T Financial Services in an unmarked envelope with just my name and address on it. I was suspicious from start and I opened the letter. I was notified that I had participated in a sweepstake that I have no memory of participating in and won some money and had a cashier check in the amount of $2, 800.00.

I have added my comments in paratheses. It's not actually a part of the letter that I got.

When I first started reading it and saw that the word "CONGRATULATION:" was misspelled as it should spell "CONGRATULATIONS" I knew it was a scam.

Here's the letter as received -

Claim number AS-04-2709
    CONGRATULATION:
    We are pleased to inform you that you are one of the winners of the SWEEPSTAKES DRAW, organized for all taxpayers and customers of the participating retail stores; Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Safeway, Costco, most auto-dealerships and Net-Work Services etc in both the United States and Canada for the promotion of families and customers wellbeing.

An entry slip with serial number 287-4501 attached to your name drew the lucky winning numbers 5-6-20-41-24

(Which is the exact same numbers as that firefly got which is listed up above)

Therefore you are entitled to the sum of US $75, 000.00 (Seventy Five Thousand Dollars).
    Payable to you by CERTIFIED CHECK, and will be delivered to you by our special courier company. You are advised to contact your assigned claims agent.

(Fat chance on that one!)

Collins James: Tel; 1-780-710-0688.

(Who has a last name for a first name?)

Monday through Saturday ...7am...To...6pm (Pacific Standard Time), for further instructions on how to claim your big winnings.

Enclosed is a check of US2, 800.00 which you will use to pay the applicable Government Service Tax for non Canadian residents (GST), payable to your assigned tax agent by MONEYGRAM or WESTERN-UNION as stated below.

(I know where I'm taking the check to - Chase bank or the police station and have their fraud people take care of it.)

TAX AGENT: TRACY SPENCER
    246 RIVER SIDE DRIVE
    OTTAWA, CANADA
    TAX AMOUNT: US $2, 000.00 (Two thousand dollars)

PAYMENT METHOD: MoneyGram or WesternUnion
    DO NOT ACT ON THIS LETTER UNTIL YOU SPEAK WITH YOUR CLAIMS AGENT
    Collins James who will advise you on how to claim your winnings.

(Yeah, right! I called that number and I was told that James Collins went to the bathroom and I did a reverse phone number check and it shows that it's a cell phone with Fido Solutions for the provider and located in Edmonton, Alberta - Canada)

James R. Falk
    Elizabeth N Francis (Promotions Manager)
    APPROVED FINAL NOTICE

On the check - it looks frightenly realistic - the payee reads as
    at&t
    New York, NY 10462

(Doesnt these idiots from Canada realize that New York is one of our largest cities in the nation and the street address reads as 1443? Oh please!)

JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A

(address)

Signed by

W. Jefferson

-----------------------------------------

The only regret I have is that I wont be able to be there in person to see these people's faces when they have been had by us wise Americans. NICE TRY, BUDDY!

• S3
      31st of Aug, 2009

Wow!!! I just received the same exact letter today and the same exact information in it as well. Obviously these people aren't as smart as they think they are. My memory sucks but I think I would remember entering myself in some type of sweepstakes especially if it is not in my own country. The biggest red flag for me though was no return address being on the envelope and the "Congradulation", (LOL) which they meant to say "congradulations". But people please be careful and aware of these scams and others that are out there.

• S3
      31st of Aug, 2009

LOL I meant "congratulations"!!! Thats funny!!!

• Ca
      26th of Sep, 2009

FYI - Once the check is deposited and clears, you will be instructed to money gram/western union the funds out. But the check will be returned as a bad check (forgery, closed account, do not exist). Then you bank will debit your account for the funds. You will be responsible to repay your bank. There is no way of retracting the funds once it has been sent. You will be liable to pay back. If not your bank account will be charged off, then it will hit your credit report, then most likely a jugdement made against you in court. Please remember if its too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

• Wd
      7th of Dec, 2009

I just received multiple calls from 1-876-493-7491, by a man who sounded like he had a foriegn accent and spoke very poor english. He said he would deliver $800, 000 in cash and a white Mercedes, if I sent $100 by Western Union to a Mr. William Lindsey at Pearlsburg VA. According to the caller, all I had to do was to present the Western Union receipt and they would deliver my prize. When I refused, the caller became very irate and asked me why I wouldn't accept his offer. I explained that the offer had all of the characteristics of a fraudulent scam. Furthermore, when I conctacted Western Union and provided them with the details of the offer, they agreed with my conclusion and stated that they would not allow me to send money to an individual I didn't know.

This angered the caller, who began to use all sorts of profanity in questioning Western Union's right to refuse to send money. Next, he said I was lying about the Western Union call and said he would award the "prize" money to the second place winner. This individual called me three more times, until that I was not interested in his scam, that I refused to send any money by Western Union and told him to stop calling me.

He attempted to call me again and I refused to answer his call. At that point, he left me a voice mail that was full of the vilest profanities I have ever heard; threatening to do all sorts of vile things to me and my wife. I have saved the voice mail, which I plan to turn over to the authorities.

• De
      10th of Dec, 2009

Just recieved a letter and check in mail from PRESDENT CHOICE FINANCIAL GROUP
    5500 Bay Street Niagara Falls 1-647-8308871 Claim # GW2426-009B 3rd of DEC.2009
    Final Notice of Winning
    This is to remind you once again that you are one of the winners of the CUSTOMERS COMPENSATION DRAW, Organized for all customers of the major stores in US and Canada e.g. Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Kohl's, K mart, etc. In conjunction with the North American Sweepstakes Association. We have made unsuccessful attempts to contact you in order to process your winning.
    A ticket with serial No. 674009 posted in your name drew the lucky winning numbers.
    This entitles you to the sum of $250, 000 (Two hundred and fifthy Thousand Dollars). YEA Right!!! Names on letter; Mary Daugherty, Richmond Hills, Ontario, Canada, M4M6G8
    All winnings must be claimed on or before 30th of December 2009, after this date, all unclaimed funds will be returned to the sweepstakes account. Be sure to mention your claim # above in all correspondence. And for Security reasons, do not(underlined) disclose your Claim Number to the public, to avoid double claim.
    You are to contact MICHAEL HOLDING or GRACE MOORE at 1-647-8308871 as soon as you receive this letter, to activate your check and for further instructions.
    Congratulations! Yours truly, Brenda Fawcett, President
    What a bunch of crap!!! I am reporting this to the Banks, Police, Post Office, TV News
    everyone that I know so they wont fall for this SCAM!!! Tell everyone you know!!!

• Th
      29th of Dec, 2009

i recieved a letter today 12/29/2009 stating... dear sir or madam following the results of international sweepstakes drawn on nov.15th 2009 in london, uk which was organized gaming corp, slide circuit awards and globe promotions in conjuction with the foundation of software products (f.s.p.)wherein your name was randomly selected by the computer data base of our north american claims department and as such emerged a winner with other 20 declared winners in the 7th category. you are therefore a winner of the sum of 250, 000.00 usd;this was from total prize award money of 87 million usd. has a winning number then states... we are pleased to inform you that your file has been assigned to our north american claims affiliate for the remittance of your funds. enclosed also is the check amount of 3, 978.00 to enable you to pay the applicable bond fees of 2, 990 you will recieve the balance of your winning after the applicable bond fees are paid. please do not attempt to use the check until you call. the fees are payable at any western unoin location through a goverment tax agent. you are advised to contact your claim agent immediatly between 9:00am-8pm and saturdays 10am-6pm et for futher clarification. randy simms.llb (claim agent) direct line 1-905-782-1316 sarah brabshaw (promotions director) the shoppers sweepstakes is accredited by the better business bureau and is sponsored by a consortium of corporations, the intel group, microsoft, walmart, sears, lowes, home depot etc. all participants were selected through a random computer ballot system drawn from chain stores in all of north america. congratulations! iavi incorported 707 bay street, milton ont. l4l1f5 telephone and fax 1-905-782-1316
    we live in cullman alabama so these letters are everywhere also we had made the phone call to this man to see what he had to say he told us to deposit the check in the bank and to call him back we have no plans of doing it im sure thats what hes waiting for also these checks look extremely real but dont be fooled i wonder if we should take this info to our police department i hope that by me posting this info that i will help someone else to realize this is a scam