Midwest Center For Anxiety / Fraud and cheating

Lucinda and David Bassett flood late night infomercial TV with their overpriced Attacking Anxiety and Depression schlock program. They advertise a '30-day risk free trial' for just $9.95, the so called 'shipping/Handling charge' (inflated as any typical infomercial ripoff), the hook being that the S/H charge is all you pay for the 30 day 'trial period'.Then when you aren't magically cured by this collection of cassette tape in 30 days, send it back with no obligation to pay the $75.00 a month that they bill your credit card for the next 6-7 months. Do not believe this CRAP for a minute. They start ripping you off immediately with the inflated shipping charge and then start removing your money 30 days from the ORDER DATE which typically is 10-14 days BEFORE the 30 day trial period STARTS. By the time the '30 day trial' is over they have already taken the first FULL payment of $75.00 (+ tax) by 2 WEEKS, even when you decide you don't want to buy this craprogram. One of Lucy's top-secret cures is to 'Drink 8 glasses of water everyday' and 'quit smoking and drinking' DUH!! Gee for such wisdom it only costs 450 bucks! If these amateur Pyschobees had a grain of credibility would they operate so Don Lapre-like? It will take weeks to get your refund (if ever) A wiser approach would be to work for the bAssett's. Then you can buy the 'program' for $20 and save yourself $425 just 90% off the ripoff price they charge everyone else.

Al

More Midwest Center For Anxiety Complaints & Reviews

Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Le
      28th of Nov, 2009

I got the Midwest Center and never had any trouble with them . it's been a blessing in my life . every bit of money that i spent it was worth it .. THANK YOU . MidWest Center.

• Go
      10th of Jul, 2010

It is a wonderful program. It gave me my life back. It is worth every penny. Professional counseling cost 10 times more. This program works so well that it inspired me to return to college to get my masters in professional counseling so that I could help others with this problem, using some of the methods found in the attacking anxiety program. Thank you Midwest center!

• 4r
      22nd of Feb, 2011

On the question of whether or not to take the Midwest Center course -my vote goes along the lines of your reasoning -whoever you are. However yours could be a more effective post without the obvious attitude (for starters, try substituting cry-babies with a euphemistic synonym for example) Otherwise, yes I agree, this board does nothing to inform me of the viability or liability of the Midwest Center program.

• Br
      12th of Nov, 2013

Well, the first time I had a major attack they put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me.
    Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I’m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, i'm a new person. Read this article, it helped me a lot : panicsolutionkey.com

• Ra
      27th of Aug, 2010

I have learned to to due research, before buying. Like most people, I have been scammed in the past.

I was happy that I did this again...sounded too good to be legit...and definitely too expensive. I was caught with the free CD offer. When I called, the guy just kept talking, and when I asked him several times what the bottom line was, he continued to talk about how great the program is. I finally told him to stop trying so hard to sell me something, without answering my bottom line question. He continued to babble on about free trial offer, not a free CD, and then the easy 8 monthly payment.. I told him I woulds get back to him, and immediately went to computer to do my research.

Thank you all for your postings. I'm not going to call him back. i AM SURE HE WILL CALL ME, AND I WILL, BRIEFLY AND FIRMLY TELL HIM ABOUT MY RESEARCH.

THANKS AGAIN. More people should learn to research, before buying, and stop lining the pockets of these scam artists.

• Ni
      11th of Oct, 2011

I tried it and it worked. It was simple to read and the coaching was wonderful. For less than a couple of Dr. visits. You can buy the program. I take it the others who ordered it. Didn't bother to read or view the cd's included in the program. I call you negative people DUMP! STUPID! IGNORANT!!! MARK!!!

• De
      5th of Jan, 2012

My experiences have been a little different. Of course like all infomerical products, there's always a hook and they're always trying to get you to "auto" sign up for stuff which means if you don't opt out (requires ACTION on your part, a simple 5 minute phone call) they will auto enroll you and then for sure your nightmares begin. BUT if you handle it correctly there's not a problem - at least that's my experience with this program. I called 2 days after ordering and opted out of the supplements program, even before I tried them I knew I didn't want to pay out the nose for some non FDA approved supplements. After receiving my order, I listed to a few CDs and thumbed through my book. That's what the trial period is about. The CDs are soothing, the group session part is hokey for sure, and the workbook is helpful, but still I determined it's just not for me. So I just called & obtained an RMA number. The lady asked a few questions as to why, I was firm with why I wanted to return it (she's just doing her job, like any sales job, hello people...) and RMA issued. A lot of complainers on this site for sure, I guess depressed and anxious people only post when they're unhappy. And no, I dont work for the company.

• Do
      1st of May, 2013

AS far as the program containing "substantive" material which has been proven to work for many people, it does. Links are below. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, is what the program is based upon and teaches from the first CD to the last. No one Can argue with that.

However, I've seen enough posts complaining about the MWC's sales tactics for years now and have turned on Lucinda and anyone associated with the MWC. I used to defend her. No longer. My understanding is that she no longer owns the MWC. Her newest book says she had to sell it in 2009. Whether that's actually true or not, I don't know.

I worked with the program for almost 4 years and it helped me a lot. But, I also used other resources, as the program advises to do. One of those resources was a doctor in psychology at a clinic in my city. She had be buy "Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy" by Dr. David Burns. Both, the MWC's program and Dr. Burn's book are based upon cognitive behavioral therapy, CBT. CBT is used by many, if not most, psychologists and therapists in their practices. It is a widely used, successful form of therapy. I paid $115 per session with the psychologist which I could not afford to continue after a couple of months.

I worked the program prior to vitamins being sold and shipped. I was allowed to purchase the program through 6 monthly charges of $60 each being charged to my credit card, back in 1999. I also was on the forum's bulletin board, asking questions, then seeking to help others after finding success in my own personal journey. It was a family to me, loving and helpful mostly, though there were times we'd get into political arguments, etc. I made several very good friends there, and I freely gave of my own time to try and help and lovingly support others on the forum, to be there for someone in their time of need, like a few were there for me.

The program itself is not bogus. It can and does work for people because it is based on proven therapy and techniques. However, with all the nonsense I have seen about vitamins, the billing, not being able to return the program, etc. It seems to me Lucinda and the owners of the MWC now have turned themselves into another Kevin Trudeau like business, becoming illegitimate through their shameful business practices.

So, Lucinda, my question to you is: why would you choose to be associated with the MWC with these type of fraudulent practices? I have the impression now that you are totally fake, only out for the money. You are destroying your own legacy and that of your husband. Why?

Don57 from the old MWC forum.

• Ro
      21st of Sep, 2013

This course practically saved my life. As I went through this course I cried many times... what they were saying was true and I knew that I had found something that would change my life forever and wondered why I was never taught these things in school? I went through every page and listened to every CD. The tools I received and techniques to overcome my anxiety gave me a new life. I cannot say enough about this program. It was a gift from God. Were it not for this course I would probably still be depressed and anxious and just dragging through life fearfully. This course should be required for every human on the planet and I mean that with all my heart!

• Mi
      2nd of Jan, 2015

I wish I read these befor I purchased her DVDs set. They charge me monthly 66.50 plus a 55.99 charge for something I never ordered ... The "hotline". Never ordered never used . They claim it was a "good" charge and it was not I took very good notes and all I wanted was the DVDs . I called and they did not want anything to do with providing me a refund. I told them I was going to shut off my card. They threatened me saying they would send me to collections. I called my bank and on a recorded line I explained what happened and they were fraudulent charges. Then canceled my card. Oh I'm not stopping here I am going to write and file a complaint to the BBB.

• Mi
      6th of Feb, 2015

Totally dissapointed with customer service and collections, rep. name Kelly. This lady was completely rude and would not give the consumer an oportunity to speak and always wanted to talk over you. She continued to threaten me with collections after I explained that I never got an oportunity to review the product. I was being billed before the 14 day period and even before I had a chance to look the items over. This program/center for anxiety is suppose to help individuals with this issue but the Midwest center and their employees/customer service rep's make people feel worse while trying to collect a payment without hearing anyone out. I'm not asking for anything free, but was only looking to explain the situation. I would not recommed this program to anyone these people are only in it for your money.

• Av
      22nd of Jan, 2011

There are a lot of BABIES on this board - cry-babies. 31 days DOES NOT EQUAL 30 days, especially when a company has given you 30 days THREE TIMES! It matter not whether you'd opened the box or not... or that you've misplaced it somewhere in your home. GIVE US A BREAK!

In 2009 one guy refers to "casettes"... HELLO? The program comes with CDs and DVDs.

LOLL, the insanity of these posts actually makes me want to KEEP the course... coz I sure as hell don't identify with these complainers. GROW UP... and good luck to you all.
    Everyone's mentioning large sums of money. My purchase price was $299, so perhaps the price has been reduced?

As for drinking 8 or 10 glasses of water daily, that is a mere healthful adjunct just as taking Vitamin B12, B6, B1 are very important for central nervous system, energy, and avoidance of depression. THIS is not what the "course" is about for heaven's sake.

Cry-babies... this board is nuts and, with all of the outrageous complaints indicating spoiled, illogical people, it is unfortunately NOT HELPFUL in determining if the course is good or not. I HOPE there's another board... one with ADULTS instead of babies so that we all might get some real feedback instead of babies complaining about postage. (WTF? Geeezzz, I can't believe the people on this board!)

This course has been around for roughly 20 years. Now, I ask you, how bad can it be with such a chronological time-track?

• Us
      1st of Nov, 2014

I cancelled the order the same call I was inquiring about the CD. I was told that I would not be charged. This week they have taken two payments of 66.00 out of my bank account and when I called they said they had proof I received it. Never received it. The lady laughed at me, yelled at me and told me that she wasn't going to do anything because I have the product. I do not have it. I have reported them to the BBB and there are a lot of complaints. I am now going to have to block their future payments and have no idea how to get 132.00 back. I am unemployed and under a doctor's care for severe panic attacks. I told the lady that and she said "you should listen to the program". I DONT HAVE IT.

• Ta
      7th of Sep, 2011

I have found the program very helpful. I am in week 5. Then my checking account was charged $28.90. I called the company and was told it was for the vitamins! I told the guy that I didn't ask for them and I don't want them. He told me they would not accept a return on the product, just cancel any future orders. He told me that there is some kind of notice that if I didn't want the vitamins, I would have to let them know before shipment. I then received the shipment 2 days later found that they sent me a 3 month supply for a grand total of $86.70! I am totally furious and am so angry with the practices of the company that I am finding it difficult to get back into the program. That's really a shame. They gave me hope...for awhile!

• To
      15th of Jun, 2009

Yeah -- someone charged their crap to my credit card back in March 0f 2009. I've been fighting with them ever since. They have now sent me to a collections agency for something I never even ordered. Even after having my bank remove their shipping fee of $16 due to fraud, they still insist I pay them $479.92 for a bunch of stupid VHS tapes, I don't even have a VCR player anymore.

• Ju
      21st of Jul, 2009

I just ran into the same problem with the ridiculous Midwest Center and Lucinda Bassett's program. One night during a moment of weakness I ordered the program...I wish I had read these posts prior to falling for the "30-day free trial". Not only did they charge me $70-something prior to the 30-day expiration (because apparently the 30 days starts when you order it, which they don't tell you), I was informed by the "supervisor" that had I read my invoice I would know that after the 30 days I agreed to the monthly payments totalling almost $500!!! I informed them I refused to make any future payments and the woman told me it's up to me what I do with my money! Well, apparently not!!! She said it would go into collection so I'm about to report them to my bank as fraudulent and hopefully not only get my money back but block and future charges they try to make.

Awesome to know that there are people out there taking advantage of those of us with anxiety and in return causing heightened stress!! (I'm being facetious of course).

Don't fall for it!!

• Ds
      13th of Aug, 2009

These people are sick. Theyre putting a price on much needed help. My god, Ive thought about killing myself and I got the free vitamins and free trial and couldnt afford to keep the thing. I dont know if there is any way they can feel right about themselves, and i hope they dont sleep at night because there are real people who SUFFER everyday with debilitating anxiety and depression and they are with-holding help. This is sick. If I were in control of this, id give it away for free.

• 24
      27th of Aug, 2009

These people got this bull junk on my credit report, my brother which is 19 suffer from anxiety and at the time he didn't have a credit or debit card to use so of course they asked, Do anyone have a debit or credit card in your household that you can use for the trial offer, what the ###!!! it was a debit card i let him use that had a dollar on it and he canceled within 20 days and this ### is on my credit report for 485 dollars. It was in his name but he used my green dot prepaid card but they billed me for the ###, I hope they like court on TV because i do and hope you do cause you will be seeing me up there real soon.

Shakeerah Young

• Tn
      1st of Oct, 2009

I ordered this program when I was suffering from panic attacks and knew the day that the box arrived that it was not something I could use. For one... they sent me DVDs and I did not have a DVD player. You can't return the product untill you contact the company and get a RA Number, but when you call they use every trick in the book not to give it to you. I told them that I did not have a DVD player and that I absolutely could not afford the program. I was offered an additional 30 days to try it with no financial obligation. Prior to the end of that period I called a second time to get the RA Number and informed the Rep that I still had not even opened the package. Again I was pressured into keeping it for another 30 days with no financial obligation. Unforutunately I missed the cancellation date BY ONE DAY and when I called on day 31 I was very abruptly told that I was now obligated to pay for the (still not even opened) product. I pointed out that I did not have a DVD player, that I'd called twice to cancel and get a RA Number, that I never even opened the product, and that I could not afford it. No sympathy - even though when I called previously every agent that I spoke to was overly sympathetic to my fragile state - having gone through the same thing themselves and using the product which helped them so much!! I made a concious decision NOT to pay for the program and just to take the hit on my credit report. That was in 2006. Today (10/1/2009) I was almost denied a job because this charge shows up on my credit report, and the only way I will get hired is if I call the company and make payment arrangements and give a copy of the confirmation of said arrangements to my new employer. I have been unemployed for 2 months and really need this job. I NEVER even opened the package and have no idea whatsoever where the thing is even at. Be warned... they prey on people's fragile state of mind. Don't order the product unless you are prepared to pay $$!!!

• Lm
      7th of Dec, 2010

I totally agreee...this company preys on people with anxiety and depression to get their money. First of all, when I called, I was told not to consult with my husband it'll only cost me $7 to get the cd's shipped to me. When I checked my account, I was charged $15. Then I called to cancel since the amount was different. After thirty plus days I get a call from a lady with a nasty attitude saying if I don't pay $300, I would be sent to a third party collections. Can we say more anxiety???? OMG! I'm pissed to say the least. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. The shipment alone is enough to give you a panic attack -- to much information at once.