Majestic View Kennels / Dog breeder - native american indian dogs (naid)

1 10122 Peck Lake RdLowell, MI, United States Review updated:

Karen Markel of Majestic View sells Native American Indian Dogs (NAID) and mixes thereof for hypoallergenic traits and a wolflike appearance. While the NAID is a fantastic breed and I have had no allergy problems whatsoever, you should avoid this kennel like the plague. Karen does not breed for health OR temperament, and SO many people have had problems, though she tries her best to cover up any complaints. She has even admitted to not knowing her dogs were pregnant. Countless dogs from her lines have ended up with major health problems even at a young age - including hip dysplasia, glaucoma, cataracts, heart murmurs, and pulmonic stenosis - despite her claim that there have been "no health problems" with this breed. When asked about health history, Karen will say the dogs are all healthy, clearly because she does not take any of them to the vet. Her dogs/puppies are also not socialized, and many are very fearful and timid, while nearly all are escape artists and destructive. My own puppy showed signs of abuse, which was determined by an animal behaviorist and trainers. It is also common knowledge that if you confront her about diagnosed diseases, illness, or major behavioral problems, Karen will either blame you for the dog's condition, accuse you of being an abusing owner, or tell you to euthanize the dog and maybe she'll give you a different dog after proof of euthanization. She does not take her puppies back and rehome them as she has stated in her contract. There is no health guarantee (though she used to have one), and she is rude to anyone who complains to her. She also has over 65 dogs on her premises, all kept outside with limited shelter and probably not even adequate water or food...the resource guarding and water hoarding tendencies of her pups prove as much. So many regret getting their puppies from her, myself included. She ought to be shut down for animal abuse and deceitful business.

Re
Jan 20, 2016

Comments

• Pu
      20th of Jan, 2016

I agree 100% with all of the above. I am one client who purchased a "healthy" puppy but after our first wellness check, our puppy has a heart defect. We have kept the breeder in the loop since day one and after a final diagnosis and screening by a specialist, the breeder tells me I'm not using my brain since we have decided to keep our puppy verses destroy him (as she suggested last month). We have seen her kennel in person, the amount of dogs on her land is mind boggling. She has her dogs birthing litters every month, by the masses. How do you feel about your new puppy (you already put a deposit on) trying to feed on raw meat through a thick plastic bag? Eat plastic before meat. Is that how you wheen a puppy off the mothers milk and introduce meat? You be the judge. Pictures attached. Our puppy is among those feeding.
    She doesn't stand by her word, all she wants is money. Stay clear.
    As for our dog, we will take care of him and keep him with our family. We will jump over the health hurdles as they present themselves and do our very best in giving him a happy life.

• Pe
      19th of Jul, 2018

@Purchaser15 I believe that the white spotted puppy is my Chara and she does in fact, have a very sensitive stomach. Can't eat any kind of chicken product and has diarrhea often. I have another NAID from Karen and at 1 year old cataracts where found. They are both timid, one more than the other. Shed like crazy and set off allergies immediately. I paid a lot of money for my dogs and am heartbroken to hear my dogs are not the only ones suffering.

• De
      23rd of Apr, 2016

I have been to Majestic View Kennels several times in the last few months since first learning about these dogs. I have never in my life been in the presence of so many beautiful, intelligent, gentle dogs. I have seen first hand while volunteering there, that every one of these dogs is loved, happy and well cared for. It is obvious that these dogs are Karen Markel's passion and dedication. The time, energy and care she puts into these dogs is unbelievable, and the fruits of her labor are incredible. It has been my pleasure to have met Karen Markel and the amazing dogs at Majestic View Kennels.
    Denise Demmink-Lowell, MI.

• Bo
      9th of May, 2016

I guess it depends on when you got your puppy from here, but I can definitely speak for MVK nowadays in that she can't keep up with all those dogs, she doesn't know how to handle them (was shaking a broom threatening to beat a few of them when we did a tour), and she gives out false information to her buyers. She told me no health problems ever in her lines, then my puppy got hip dysplasia at 6 months old. When I complained to her, she said she'd give me a new dog if I euthanized that one. No thanks, I wouldn't kill a baby with a disease n favor of getting a "better" one, so why would I with this pup we bonded to? Her dogs are beautiful, yes, and maybe she was a good breeder back in the day, but it's time for her to retire and stop charging people thousands of dollars for dogs with health and behavioral issues.

• Hp
      25th of Jul, 2016

I have to agree.. And my guess is it's like the saying .. The path to hell is paved with good intentions. Now, after paying 3k for a sibercain pup and spending over 10k in vet bills and another 3k for training we are pleased to say our pup now 16 months old appears to be healthy. The facility has a good 60 dogs .. Our pup wasn't socialized at all. She has lived in terror.. Fearful of everything and everyone it has taken a lot of effort and time and money.. Patience working with her to learn she is safe. She is still fearful in New situations or with new sounds but she has come to be loving and trusting of her masters she was so sick with worms (3 types) has been on a special diet, prescription Then raw with supplements, colitis meds and is now on a high quality kibble. She broke a foot, and sprained a leg.. It's been so sad and such a challenge.. I never bothered contacting Karen.. As I read reviews that she won't pay vet bills but will replace the pup after you uthenize .. I couldn't do it. Not when you look into the poor eyes of a perfect soul. I don't know what will come of our sweet pup.. I pray we don't see any further disease. I highly recommend going to a different breeder. I met a woman with two NAIDs who told me how great her breeder is, how he spends so much time socialize them. I recommend if u have one from this puppy mill that you look into supplements .. Can't tell you how much work the diet has been raw and eggs with pulverized shells supplemental oils veggies etc.. But her coat is now beautiful as we as her skin and eyes. We have had to keep her very protected and never put her in uncomfortable situations. It's been gradual she was to be a service dog which will never happen although Karen was absolutely positive she could and would with her level of intelligence.. . she is cute sweet funny loyal.. A great companion!!! A great breed .. Just not from this breeder!

• Si
      11th of Aug, 2016

First of all it is spelled Sibercaan. I own one of these beautiful dogs. My Sibercaan is well tempered, beautiful, 10 years old, and very healthy! My vet says my Sibercaan is so beautiful and has the teeth & coat of a 2-3year old! I could not ask for a better companion and protector over my grand children. Karen you have done a marvelous job! Keep up the great work! These haters posting must just be jealous of your abilities to breed the perfect animal. Thank you so much for this awesome member of my family!! You have delivered well on your word! I am asthmatic and I can vouch for the fact that the Sibercaan is the perfect breed to own! I believe he is truly 'hypo-allergenic' as Karen says!

• Hp
      12th of Aug, 2016

Thanks so much for correcting my spelling! Damn spellcheck! (and i was posting from my phone)
    I'm so glad that you are happy with your dog, I love my dog as well, and agree with you, she a wonderful companion, she has absolutely bonded with the family! She brings us great joy ever day!!! However, she will never be the service dog that Karen promised because of her lack of socialisation and inability to be around crowds, or in new and unfamiliar places. Yes she is beautiful! But that does not negate the fact that she is very sick, as a matter of fact she will see the vet again next week because the diarrhea has started again, as well as vomiting! My thought is that your dog is ten years old, and as i stated Karen had good intentions, she is brilliant indeed! But as time has gone on .. maybe greed or complacency took over! Hence, my comment about the path to hell being paved with good intentions... i think she needed to slow down! I have spoken to other breeders ..they all will agree. even those that got their first dogs from Karen.
    My post was not intended to trash Karen, but rather to inform the public, Its a wonderful thing to be able to see other experiences good and bad! and that is the power of the internet, shame on me for not doing my research, my hope is to help others to think twice before making a financial and emotional investment in their next addition to the family!

• Na
      27th of Oct, 2016

I just happened to stumble across this site this evening for the first time. To share my experiences...I am a 2 time NAID owner. Both of which came from kennels "approved" by Karen and from sires and dams she has had on her website. To begin, I have loved my sweet babies from the moment I picked them up in MI 10 and 11 years ago. And I would not trade them for anything in the world!!! That being said, people need to know the struggles we have had. The first one was what I would call timid. Extremely shy. But very sweet with me. We socialized her in every possible way. She went to work with me every single day. We took her to restaurants, to friends homes, to my horse farm, on walks twice a day, etc... But now at almost 12 years old, she is still timid and shy. And not approachable by most humans. She does however love other dogs. Regarding health... at 6 months old she developed a lump on her neck that was thankfully removed by our vet and determined to be a hystiosytoma, non cancerous, and a non issue. For the following 6 years she had no additional health issues. But by 7 not only did she develop cataracts, but also severe glaucoma in both eyes. Despite laser surgery and 3 types of medication in her eyes twice a day for the rest of her life, she is completely blind. She has adjusted reasonably well to her blindness but it's very sad to hear others have had similar situations with their NAIDS who have "No health problems". For my 2nd NAID, whom I also became so incredibly bonded too I can't even describe it... she is younger by one year. Regarding her personality... timid or shy does not even come close to describing her. Her fears of humans and sounds and most things during daylight hours, truly are more of a feral animal. I am the only human who has ever been able to put a leash and collar on her. And hug her and groom her, etc... Our vet comes to our house to do wellness exams and give vaccinations, etc. because as she got bigger, 93 lbs she simply was too strong for me to control if we ran into a human or anything else that scared her. It became dangerous for her well being for me to take her to the vet clinic. So for the most part she has lived her life in our home and privacy fenced yard with as minimal contact with humans as we could provide her. She too got along great with other dogs. Our pack has been 2 siberian huskies and 2 NAIDS. And they all love each other for the most part. She did become alpha female and the enforcer between the huskies if they got out of line. Please understand that although our efforts in socializing her failed, she lived a very happy life with us. And as far as we knew was strong and healthy until 2 weeks ago, at which point she stopped eating. We had her checked immediately and I was devastated to find out she had a very aggressive type of cancer, hermangio sarcoma, on her heart. Her prognosis was 2 to 4 weeks with no treatment. We instantly took her to the university vet school we are blessed to have with in our reach and decided to have a surgical procedure done to help make her more comfortable with the hope of doing some chemo treatments to extend her time with us. The surgery was successful, and although her stress level was beyond describable, vet school understood her unique needs and treated her wonderfully and allowed special accommodations for her and me to be with her when ordinarily they would not. She healed quickly from the surgery, but the cancer was too much, and she did not make it to her first chemo treatment. She passed Sunday night in my arms, and my heart is so broken their are no words. There will never be another sweet soul like hers to be found. I loved her and all of our pack more than anyone could know. But please please please, be aware that it takes a very unique family/person to be able to contend with all the social issues that came with both of my NAIDS. You must be completely dedicated and patient and kind and understanding and able to take the role of alpha over them, to be able to make a happy home for them. It is not for the faint of heart. They are not the happy go lucky, healthy, social dogs as advertised. I wish I could say I would never have another one, but I have such a fondness for fearful furry kids that I know I can help make a happy world for. But for anyone who can not dedicate themselves completely to a dog with severe social issues, should not even consider having a NAID. I can not tell you how many humans have said they would never have kept my girls if they were me. I feel although I paid good money for them, I actually rescued them. They have had as happy a life as we could provide and all their needs and wants met. They have loved us as much as they are capable. And truly bonded with us. I'm only sad they could never enjoy the attention they could have had for their beauty and uniqueness from so many other loving humans. Although missing my 10 year old terribly and in a depression right now, My 11year old blind one is still doing well but she has an appointment at the vet next week so they can check out some additional lumps that have presented themselves. I pray they are simply fatty tumors. But please puppy lovers beware. Know fully what you are getting into, before you purchase a NAID. They have both social and health issues that are not minimal.

• Ka
      21st of Nov, 2016

I purchased an NAID from Karen in 2015. I had done extensive research on both the breed and other breeders in the area, most of which got their stock from Karen and MVK. Our first visit to the Kennel was amazing. Yes she has numerous dogs but we visited each kennel area and saw each dog and she told us the history of every dog. Because of their cost I told her it would be year or so before we could be able to afford one, but my goal for today was to make sure that this was what I wanted to spend this much money on. We do not have allergies so that really wasn't an issue, I was more interested in the uniquness. Our second visit was while we were on vacation in Michigan. I wanted to swing by and introduce her to my husband and family and also introduce my family to the breed. We had been in constant contact because the weather was bad. When we arrived we were unable to see any of the dogs because she felt that safety was an issue after several days of rain. It was raining when we got there and we were willing to get wet but she was not willing to accept the liabliltiy. After deciding on an NAS because the price was lower and paying my deposit, I was eagerly awaiting my puppy when she advertised a sale on her NAID puppies. I was able to negotiate a purchase of an NAID for the price of the NAS. All good so far. When my daughter and I arrived to take the puppy home, the puppy cowered when my daughter bent down to pick her up. My daughter was 18 not 6 and unaware of how to approach a puppy. She and I had both had therapy dog training and were excited to train this dog to be a therapy dog, but I knew the second the 8 week old puppy cowered from her that this would probably not happen. We had a long conversation and chose to take the puppy anyway because we knew that it would need special attention and didn't want someone taking her who was not prepared to handle the situation. For a year we tried to socialize and expose her to situations in an effort to calm her fears about the world but finally realized that she would not be happy as a therapy dog and just made her our pet. She is headstrong, smart as a tack, beautiful as can be and I would not trade her for the world. However, she sheds something fierce. Once her undercoat came in and was shed the first time, it never really stopped. I can brush her daily and get a handful of hair no matter what time of year. Worse in the spring when the undercoat does shed. I truly do think she is hypoallergenic, but she brings a lot of leaves and dirt in on her because her coat is so long. Our last experience with Karen came when we had a difference of opinion regarding when the appropriate age was to spay her. Yes, we did sign a contract stating that we would spay between 10-11 months of age but after talking to several veterinarians and doing my own research, I felt it was in her best interest to spay earlier. We were not refunded our $100 which was fine because my dogs heath was more important and I truly felt we were making the best decision for our dog. Unfortunately our relationship with Karen ended at this time because she disagreed with our decision and let's just say it got ugly. Kaiya just turned 2 and is beginning to turn the puppy corner and finally enjoys interacting with "her people". She always has to reaquaint with visitors but once she does she is very good with kids and anyone who would like to show her affection, she is just very slow to trust. This is not an AKC breed but a designer breed. Yes it is a breed that is comprised of many other common breeds but with the intent to breed for traits and specific desired qualities. Most pure bred dogs are a combination of at least 2 breeds so if you are interested don't let that scare you. I would definately get another, probably an NAS as they would be more apt to go the therapy dog route. I would just recommend that if you do buy from Karen, do it with eyes wide open and if you see something you don't like don't buy. Happy Bend Kennel in Arkansas would be another alternative. His breeding stock came from Karen From a health stand point, that remains to be seen. When we brought her home we stopped on the way and she had some diarrhea. I didn't think anything of it at the time because stress can cause diarrhea in a dog. 6 months later and several tests and suggestions her diarrhea finally resolved. I just think that she has a sensitive system and many things cause her stress possibly manifesting as diarrhea. As of age 2 she checks out just fine at the vet. We are looking forward to many years with her.

28th of Dec, 2016

I owned a peer bread naid when i was a boy the dog lived to be 24 years old with NO health issues none. I live in oregon and my family was gifted the dog from a klamath native who cculd not keep her, she was bread and raised on the reservation here. She was indeed only coyote and dingo nothing else, her temperment amazing smarter then most dogs. My opinion and mind you thats all it is is my opinion is that because this women karen treats them as a designer dog project they are reacting that way. Hence the health issues short life span and behavioral issues. Any of the naids from the untanted reservation have no health issues and no behaviour problems. Yes she was more farel then most but it wasnt an issue when we went places or new people places and sounds arose. That dog was amazing i loved her with all my heart and i will get another. But after reading reviews from this womens kennels good or bad. I can tell you from first hand experience with one of these dogs that if you dont try to breed for desirability and just breed normally and responsibly (meaning no incest) then yes you have a perfect healthy long living dog that is hypoallergenic with litterally no healt issues. When. We took our poor girl to the vet on her final day with us we asked what was causing her death the vet simply replied "old age, its her time" and at 24 years old we were not surprised. So to read alll these reviews i am rather disturbed with the downward spiral breeders have put on this dog by breeding for desirability. Thats not why you breed. You breed for good genetics and good personality so as to have a good dog. Now incest and mixed breeding are and epidemic with breeders and it wouldnt suprise me to find these kennels have it happen "accidentally" (really its careless ness) i have seen the breed bread here in oregon with no incest or mixing and it looks nothing like any of these breeders dogs nor do they act like them. Hence why they are "designer breed" why do peer breads usally have more health issues? I can tell you why its bwcause of the masss amounts of cross breeding and incest they have to go through before there is a constant color and build the dog throws. It os sad to me they are tainting a rather feral breed just because they think they should look a certain way. Sad really.

• Ai
      14th of Mar, 2017

@Max3610 Hi, Max. I too have seen responsible breeding in Oregon. So much different. Bred for healthy mind and body. Breeder is very protective of his fur family. I know this first-hand.

• Ai
      14th of Mar, 2017

Firstly, I marked my attitude as "neutral" due to fact I have not had dealings with this kennel/person. Has anyone reported this person? Has she ever been investigated? If so, what was the outcome? This makes my heart so sad.

4th of Apr, 2017

Has anyone had their dog's DNA tested for Wolf? Only those who have bought from Karen. I bought my NAID a year ago from Karen. He is wonderful but has taken a lot of work and has suffered some minor health issues. We had to have him professionally trained. The trainer did a personality test on him and is convinced that he has wolf in him. It explains the shyness and unique demeanor. The trainer has worked with wolf hybrids before.

• Di
      5th of May, 2017

@Aclaw3048 Yes, I have had my NAID from Karen DNA tested, and it did come back with low amounts of gray wolf. When i brought it up to Karen with the certified results, she ignored me entirely. Don't trust this lady. I'm lucky wolfdogs are legal in my state, but they aren't where she's breeding. She's a liar.

27th of Aug, 2017

@Disappointed Owner Wow. That's crazy. Do you remember the names of your pup's parents?

• Wo
      16th of Feb, 2018

@Disappointed Owner Hi Aclaw3048. According to some claims by DNA test companies, they have the ability to determine the origins of Dogs, which all come from wolves. So it is no surprise that your NAID tested positive for wolf DNA.

• Di
      5th of May, 2017

Something that always bothers me is the only good things people have to say about Majestic View are that the dogs are beautiful and Karen is nice. That doesn't negate the fact that my full NAID developed hip dysplasia when less than two years old. I paid $2500 for her, and yes, she is beautiful and very loving, but she was clearly unsocialized with how badly she shies away from everything. Paying that kind of money should at least guarantee some health testing on the parents. The worst part? I got her tested through Embark, the most reliable DNA testing out there, and she came back positive for wolf. Luckily she's legal here, but I sent the results to Karen, and she completely ignored me. Insane. This lady is a fraud. No wonder the dogs are hypoallergenic - they have wolf in them!

• Re
      21st of Aug, 2017

@Disappointed Owner I am so happy I have found this thread as Karen markel is butting heads with me currently literally denying at DNA TEST and saying her dogs have no wolf. My dog is deathly afraid of all people but me and will literally crap al over himself if people come near. He is very loved and cared for even though she tried to say he is like that because we abused him which is definitleh not the case. In fact he was delivered to us at 4 months old covered in vomit and diarhea and deathly afraid of everything. A month later when a spot opened he was sent to trianging for 1500 dollars for socialization and behavior. They wound up keeping him longer to see if he needed more time but we're still unable to fix the problem. I will be reporting her to every organization and facility that had authority in the matter. What she is doing is illegal and I am fully inclined to take legal action against her. Your stories will seriously help my cause if you don't mind me using them to stop her.

27th of Aug, 2017

@Disappointed Owner Do you remember the names of your pup's parents?

• Wo
      16th of Feb, 2018

@Disappointed Owner There are many breeds who do not have a doggy odor, this does not mean that they are wolves, according to the wolf expert L David Mech is Evolution and Behaviorist at the University of Minnesota.He has studied wolves and their prey since 1958, as well as several other species of wildlife. He states that wolves are NOT scientifically hypo allergenic. I have seen many breeds such as the German Shepherd, and other sensitive breeds who are shy, and need special socialization to adapt to everyday life. I don't agree with Ms. Markel's breeding tactics, but to label any dog who shows supposed wolf behaviors is wrong.

6th of Nov, 2017

Karen originally bred wolfdogs. When her state went illegal she killed all of the high content wolf dogs and started breeding the low contents. So her breeding stock definitely has wolf in them.

6th of Nov, 2017

@tangerine1231 That is really disturbing that she didn’t rehome the dogs to legal states. She didn’t have to kill them. That’s ridiculous.

6th of Nov, 2017

@Aclaw3048 I totally agree. A lot of people in the wolfdog community dislike her and warn everyone away from her.

6th of Nov, 2017

@tangerine1231 Oh wow. That’s crazy. Do you know of a group or Facebook page of people who have wolfdogs? We have two including the one from Karen. The other one we rescued. We love them so much and it would be awesome to see others like ours!

7th of Nov, 2017

@Aclaw3048 There are plenty of groups if you just search wolfdog you should find them. There is a wolfdog do not adopt/buy/sell group that Karen is listed in. If you search her name in those groups too you should be able to find threads discussing her

18th of Dec, 2017

We purchased a Siberian Indian Dog and I Native American Indian Dog from Karen. The SID was purchased in 2008 and the NAID was purchased in 2011.
    Very coincidentially after we had both of their teeth cleaned at the vet, the SID in 2016 and the NAID in 2017, they both began to have intestinal problems. The SID was not able to have normal bowel movements, and the NAID developed diarrhea. We thought this was very strange, and thought it was too coincidental that both developed these health issues after having their teeth cleaned. Both dogs had extensive tests trying to resolve the problems. With the SID, they could not diagnose the problem, and she ended up dying at the age of 8. She died right in front of us. We think something ruptured internally as she ended up throwing up blood just as she died. The NAID also some extensive test done, and they found 2 large tumors on her spleen, which not only caused the diarrhea, but at the end, also pressed on her bladder causing her to lose control. Both tumors we were told together were the size of a basketball, and one was already starting to bleed which led the vet to believe it was malignant. We ended up having to put her to sleep as a result at the age of 7. Our question is "has anyone else who acquired a dog from Majestic view had this similar issue".

• De
      4th of Jan, 2018

I wish I read these before I got my puppy from her!!! I am sending her a letter that I finally drafted tonight. It's actually hard for me to type this as I am still shaking from anger and sadness! My puppy is only 5 months old and was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with double hip dysplasia! He needs a double hip replacement, or be euthanized, which is not an option! Each surgery is $8000!!! And get this, this is not the dog that we originally selected. She by accident delivered that dog to a family in Florida! Something smells fishy to me!!
    My puppy can't walk and lays in his bed all day. Every time I come home, most dogs get excited and run up to you, this one can't, and the tears start rolling down my face. The very least she can do is offer us a full refund! It the only decent and moral thing to do, especially being a total God person, which she always seems to mention and that she goes to church every Sunday. Obviously she has a lot of repenting to do! I will keep you all posted on how she responds to our letter.

• Ko
      28th of Jan, 2018

@devastated owner My heart breaks for you and your puppy. I received a puppy NAS Native American Shepherd from Happy Bend Kennel which had used Karens dogs for breeding. I think he learned his business practices from her also. My little pup at age 4 months was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia . Be persistent! I was first told my vet didn't know how to take x-rays, I sent the x-rays to OFA and they got a rating of Severe . I was then told by the breeder, it could be my fault for ether putting the puppy in a kennel or letting the puppy play too hard. Seriously? After not backing down I finally got a refund from the breeder which of course didn't even come close to what the surgery was, but it was something. My puppy is 2 1/2 years old now and I still get tears in my eyes but now its happy tears from watching him run and play. He will never be an Olympic jumper but we both can live with that! I tell my friends he is lucky he is so cute because he was the most expensive "free dog" I have ever had. I feel so bad with what you are going through . Keep us posted on what happens.

• Al
      15th of Apr, 2018

I got a dog from here back in December. I went up there to pick him up and she probably has close to 60 dogs, way more than she can handle. It was snowing outside and I picked my puppy from a shed. After reading reviews, I was not gonna purchase him and just forget about the deposit, however, I could not keep in that condition so I ended up taking him home. He was the cutest puppy but everyone kept telling me he looked like a wolf so I got a DNA testing done. He was almost 40% wolf (by the way, wolf hybrids are illegal in Michigan). My other dog is part wolf (only 12.5%) so I'm prepared to handle this, but just know, training a wolf hybrid takes a lot more work than a normal dog. He also drinks ALOT. I'm unsure if this is a wolf trait because my other dog drinks a lot as well, but this is an unhealthy amount. So i'm getting him tested for diabetes insipidus this week. So just be warned if you get a dog from this breeder.