Magazine, Inc. - Virginia Beach, VA / They ripped me off!

If someone calls your cell phone or home & tells you that you have been entered in a contest worth a lot of money... know this, It's BS! Magazine, Inc out of Virginia Beach called me with the same line trying to push some magazines for $ 3.96 per month for 48 months... I wasn't thinking about the BS contest when I decided to go ahead & give em my Debit Card Info, I just like to read and the magazines I signed up for were interesting enough for the small price. However by the time this clown finished his spill, he told me he would do me a favor and only charge me $58 for 12 months. At first I thought he was joking. I told him No thank you I wasn't looking to pay that much money for any magazines. His price then went to $32 per month. I said No I don't want it . After a few minutes of trying to persuade me to accept the offer, he stated that he was getting mad and then hung up the phone. I immediately went online to my checking account and sure enough the jerk ran my card knowing that I did not want these magazines for that price. Let this be a lesson to those who try not to be rude and impolite.& shame on those who say they're charging one price & then charge another. Stay away from Magazine, Inc. in Virginia Beach, VA!

JS,
I feel ripped off!

Magazine Inc. Virginia Beach, VA

Js

Comments

• Pr
      24th of Jan, 2007

Same thing happened to me, I'm still having trouble with them Have you figured out how to cancel the damn thing? I sent back the paperwork to cancel but they are still trying to charge me.

• La
      22nd of Feb, 2007

The "contest" is totally bogus. Additionally, they charged me $83 and I still have yet to see any product over a month later!

• Va
      11th of Dec, 2007

OMG I wish I would have known about this BS company...I accepted the first offer of 50 something dollars for a years subscription and called to cancel the damn thing. They persuaded me to take a $25 a month package and Ive been payin this for almost 4 months and Ive only recieved 6 mags.So 2 weeks ago I go to take a look @ my bank account and these ###s have teamed up with some "Marketing Consultant Firm" that took $96.00 out of my account. This is when I decided to find out what was really going on . I talked to 2 reps from the Marketing Consultant Company they were rude as hell ! They kept saying there was a $96.00 "Annual Fee" for this bs on top of $25.00 a month for some mags that I havent even been recieveing .I explained to them that I want this crap cancelled so they supposedly cancelled it and refunded my money. I go online 2day 12/11/07 and these ### are still taking $25.00 out of my account .Once I get to the bottom of this I will never ever accept any over the phone offers.

12th of Jun, 2009

those idiots called me today except i got offered 25.99 and would only have to pay for 35 months. i was also promised the watches and was also promiesd a 100 gas coupon to use at any gas station. afterwards i started to think and when i looked them up all that came up was complaints. so i am pretty sure that i am not getting anything. i went to the bank and told them what happend. they closed my debit card and then they told me to come back on the 17th and fill out a affadavit. and that should end it. if it doesnt then i am getting a attorney. i told them that i wouldnt be able to pay them this month and he said that was fine. then please tell me why on bank statement online it says they already went ahead with it. i called a number that they gave me and one of them didnt work. when i called the 1-877-406-3195 the lady said that since i just did it today that i would have to wait 48hours before i could cancel it. well if today is friday then why would i have to wait till tuesday? does she realize that that is more than 48hours. i am calling them everday till they do. and if they dont then they will regret it because this is all BS!! and i dont want any part of it.

26th of Aug, 2009

This stupid company also called me today and charged me 70 dollars of my credit card. And I called this number 1-877-406-3195 to cancel it and the lady said it needs 48 hr to process. This is such a ###. Does anyone success to cancel it and get the refund?

• Pr
      27th of Aug, 2009

A quick follow-up

I did finally manage to get everything stopped but I had to be quick about sending the cancellation note (something like 3 days from the date you recieve the paperwork). I had to notify my bank and tell them I did not authorize the charge then I sent the cancellation sheet back to the magazine people as certified mail so the post office would notified me when it was delivered. Certified mail took longer but about a week (could be longer as its been a while since my post) after the letter arrived everything was cancelled and my money was refunded. Now, though, three years later I am still recieving one of the magazines though I did not pay for it (as I recall I was offered one free one year subscription to something and that never cancelled though it has been a *little* longer than one year.)

-Sam

• Nc
      14th of Sep, 2009

Finally I found out this magazine company is this http://edumacation.com/InternationalMarketingAssociation
    Their number :757-490-9860
    757-497-4915
    888-446-4405 (customer service, 9 am - 5 pm M-F))
    And their another customer service number 1-866-269-2397.
    And I dial the last number and ask them to refund me.
    In the beginning, they insist I will get equal service of my money and not return my money. But remember, you must force them to return your money. And finally, their manager or someone promised to credit me back and I received it.

Hope it is helpful to anyone who has the same situation like me.

• Al
      15th of Sep, 2009

We have been charged twice on a debit card for 39.95 each. We are not sure how we even signed up for the magazine. It shows up as CHECK CRD PURCHASE 09/03 MAGAZINES008*NRP VIRGINIA BCH VA with a phone number of 8777352394. Do you know if this is the same magazine as International Marketing Association? We will keep everyone posted on how our future diputes and cancellation proceed.

• Al
      15th of Sep, 2009

CHECK CRD PURCHASE 09/03 MAGAZINES008*NRP VIRGINIA BCH VA turned out to be media communications. they are the charge company for publications unlimited. they took the cancellation and even refunded the charges on the account. it looks like we will have this issue undercontrol in a week when we recieve a refund check. the number for media communications is 800 324 9452. we started the cancellation by calling the number inside the magazine, for the magazine company number (our magazine was hanyman on page 4) they gave us the number for media communications. well keep you posted on the cancellation and refund being processed.

• Ba
      15th of Sep, 2009

omg, i had gotten a call from this same number at noon, then right now they just called me again, i feel ripped off... :( i'm really new to all this business crap. I barely turned 18 and now i feel in debt already.. it sux! I was trying to call right now to like cancel right away, but it said that i need to wait for the office hours... i hope that when i call tomorrow they'll be able to cancel this. i wish i would've not been so naive. Gosh! i don't know what to do. I have my financial aid money for college in that bank account, and they already took their first payment!! :( i hope that i cancel it soon enough so that they can refund my money back or something, i wish i could've read this before...

7th of Nov, 2009

I fell into this too, I was called right before on of my classes at the university I am attending and almost missed my class because they would not let me not order from them. I feel very stupid about it and when I told my parents about it when I got the first notice payment letter I immediately told my parents about it. My parents called my bank company and asked that they cancel my card (the card that they would be drawing money from) so they are not getting any money from me. We then called the customer service number and told them that we want out, to cancel the subscription, and remove my name, number and address from their listing. the letter also states that this is NOT a contract between the company and us . Its been a month since and they called me asking me why I haven't payed, so I am sending a letter of confirmation of cancellation stating my situation and the cancellation number we were given when we first canceled it. Hope this helps someone.

• Ga
      8th of Feb, 2010

I am really getting tired of finding charges on my account and I like you do not know how to cancel. I have had to close my account and I am still getting charges on the old account. I have called to cancel but it just won't stop. I don't have the money to have all these charges on my account.

gd

• Sh
      5th of Mar, 2010

I'm also getting Magazines I never ordered!!! I'm being charge $39.95 a month also. I did'nt sign up for them and I don't want them. Cancel any Magazines coming to this address A.S.A.P.
    Sharon Hoppe

• Gh
      8th of Mar, 2010

I very stupidly got caught up in this as well, and even worse I agreed to a second go around, both times coming off a night shift and half asleep... I let it run its course and the payments do stop, I could sit down and figure it out but I don't want to know how bad they got me $$$... I recieved paperwork from them and even a masterlist of Magazines to choose from, of which you can change anytime by calling. I have just moved recently and the magazines are coming to an end soon so I will not be bothering to change my address with them... I get 7 different magazines from them and I have been happy besides paying too much for them, I also received a check from the Federal Trade Commission based off a lawsuit against a partner company to Mag. Inc. about fake free travel winnings (company called Florida Passport)

L. D. Bateman

• Bm
      15th of Apr, 2010

April. 15, 2010

Just found out this is happening to my mom, they have been charging her account for at least the last 3 months. She, as of today has called the bank to cancel the debit card number. The bank said she will be issued a new card number. Hopefully this info helps someone. Now we have to try to get her money back somehow. She never even recieved the finh mags! Infact she has been out of the country for the last 4 months!

Please let me know if you were able to get you back money back.

Take care and good luck to all.

• Ki
      3rd of Sep, 2010

Even I had the same problem, I called in the manager and told him im not interested in their product and I did not even recieve any products they were not bothered. he said he cannot help me or cancell the account. but good I called my bank and the bank made a conference call with the magazine company, and within seconds she said she will cancell my account. but still they charged me for the next month, so I had to call them back in and confirm that they refunded the money. so the best way to fix the issues is to call your bank and set up a complaint.

• Ms
      9th of Sep, 2010

They also cheat you if you work there! They tell you that yu will make around $14 an hour with ur base pay being 9 an hour and 2 dollars for selling the make up and 2 extra for selling the i.d. protection program only totaling 13 an hour..so thats already a lie..and if you are late or miss a day you only get paid 7.25 an hour that entire pay period! And the goal of this company is to basically scam and rip. Older women off, they sell 1 thing to you and keep talking asking you to buy something else and you never know you ordered it also then they sayh state your name then BAM1 you pay 130.41 a month for makeup then 39.99 for usa benefits the 29.99 a mont for id protection program! And i feel sorry when i call people and it seems like a scam..i wud quit if i could find a better job! But as i call and read the script to people i go the extra mile to let you know EXACTLY WHAT they r tryna charge but i always get fussed at by my boss! He says its there stupidity and ALSO THEY MADE US WORK ON LABOR DAY no time and a half just regular pay! Isnt that against the law?

15th of Mar, 2011

WOW This company is super shady!!! I paid these guys off in 2 and half years of payments! That totally was not worth it! I get a call yesterday saying I still owe 2 and half more years of payments! I read them the letter and they tell me this was just the first letter and I would reciveve another in 2 in half years! I called this number to Cancel 1-800-854- 8792 and talked with melody its very important to remember who you talked to on the phone they will ask! After telling melody what had happened yesterday she said they signed me up for additional 2 years with 8 new mags! I was like no I asked the lady named peggy yesterday if I just signed up for more mags and she said "NOPE" that i was just finishing up my account payments of 2 and half years stilled owed! BC! Also very IMPORTANT! if they can not provide a actual account number and only give you your phone number as the account number then they are a 3rd party scaming you to sign up for more mags! Hope this information helps and if I do recieve my refund I will take this to court! BE AWARE OF MAGINZENE out of Virgina Beach! Also this web site is great thanks for all the other people who posted! It helps!

• Jh
      15th of Apr, 2011

I need help that stupid magazine is getting all my money to my account and im spending lots of money to pay bills.. i called them to cancle all my magazine but they going to charges me for 400$.. its just so stupid.. can anyone help me pls help me just called and leave a messege 4252100641 thanks

3rd of Sep, 2011

Am I the only one that's taking legal action with these people?