Kents Hill Australian Labradoodles / Dishonest and misleading breeder, unethical behavior

Wayne Maine, US Review updated:

This breeder sold me a female puppy with several potentially LETHAL congenital anomalies though she knew or at the very least should have known about them. When I received the puppy, I immediately noticed that she had cloudy eyes and that her lips did not cover her gums even when her mouth was closed. These abnormalities were plainly visible even to a person with no veterinary experience like me.

Three hours after receiving the puppy, I took her to the primary vet who confirmed that she had a mouth/teeth malformation and an eye problem. The vet then advised me to take the puppy to an ophthalmologist, who diagnosed her with congenital corneal abnormalities and absence of lacrimal glands. The doctor told me that my puppy could become BLIND.

The breeder should have known about these plainly visible problems. In fact, though she was well aware of a separate non-lethal defect in the puppy’s tail, she did not disclose that defect to me prior to selling the puppy. Clearly, her actions were dishonest, fraudulent and negligent.

Once I learned about these problems, I called the breeder and requested to return the puppy. At this point, I was understandably upset and saddened about the puppy’s health. Yet, she was very disrespectful and dismissive over the phone. She refused to cover the shipping costs to send the puppy back and also initially declined to refund any of the incidental costs of the original purchase, which included shipping and a crate charge (she later agreed to only a partial refund of these charges). She said that, if I could not afford to send the puppy back, I should find another home for her in the state where I lived.

All this despite KNOWING AND FAILING TO DISCLOSE at least one defect in the puppy, and despite the fact that she should have known about other plainly visible and very serious defects. Since shipping the puppy back to the breeder was too expensive and finding another home for her would be virtually impossible based on her health problems, I decided to keep the puppy and give her the best care I could. But, about ten days later, the puppy developed difficulty moving her hind legs and became very lethargic. I took the puppy to the primary vet again, and this time the vet made an immediate referral to an orthopedic specialist.

The orthopedist ran x-rays and diagnosed her with a severe congenital vertebral malformation that would soon lead to paralysis, inability to control bladder and bowel function which would lead to frequent severe infections, and chronic pain. The orthopedist told me that the puppy would endure significant pain and suffering due to these issues, and, after further discussion with the doctor, I decided that HUMANE EUTHANASIA was the most reasonable approach.

I can assure you this was one of the most painful decisions I have made. The breeder’s dishonesty and negligence has caused me terrible emotional harm, and cost me more than $600 in vet bills, apart from the only partial refund of incidental costs from the original purchase. I have all the vet reports proving what is described here, and have lodged complaint with the Australian Labradoodle Club of America (ALCA).

I decided to share this story because I do not want anybody to go through an experience like this with this breeder.

Pa
Mar 08, 2017

Comments

Apr 03, 2017

This is in response to the complaint you received from our customer in Miami. Below I've described our experience with Pamela and the unfortunate outcome for little Coco.

Pamela wanted the smallest of our puppies. Coco was the smallest from the litter. She was very alert, playful and had a very good appetite. After I received the first complaint from Pamela about the eye condition of Coco, I agreed that she should show her to an ophthalmologist and send me the report. In the state of Maine we don’t have a canine ophthalmologist. My veterinarian made a full physical exam of Coco and didn’t find anything wrong with her vision. For puppies at that age, it’s normal to have blurry eyes. I received the travel health certificate without a problem, (The tail condition was mentioned in the report). I forwarded Pamela’s complaint to my Veterinarian who wrote back that: “Maybe it happened in transit. Corneal abrasion's are not uncommon. I did not see squinting when I examined the puppy. If I did I would have done a stain as well”.

After Pamela had received the ophthalmologist report (I forwarded it to my Veterinarian) she called me and was very unhappy. I asked her if she would like to return Coco. She said yes. I told her that in our policy (which is clearly stated on our web site) it states that we make a full refund except for the deposit which is not refundable. Pamela strongly disagreed. She wanted back everything including shipping and crating. To avoid any confrontation I decided against my policy to make a full refund including the deposit and 40% of the shipping. We have a mutual agreement with Pamela to those conditions. During the same conversation, I offered her the refund and that she keep Coco or find her a good home in Florida, because another flight across the country (from Miami to Maine) would be hard for Coco. She said she would think about it.

After she received a full refund (which she called for some reason partial), I called her and asked her what she decided to do with Coco. She sent me a health report from an orthopedic veterinarian which showed that the health condition of Coco was very poor and she decided to put Coco to sleep. It was a very hard decision for her. I was very sad because I was sure that I was selling a healthy puppy, judging by her behavior and the report of my veterinarian. Pamela accused me of dishonesty and fraudulence. In my 16 years of raising and selling puppies this is the first time something like this happened.

Also, feel welcome to contact our Veterinarian. Mary Sheridan, DVM examined Coco

Formal Puppy Name: Kents Hill Rosie's Pink Girl Pere (Small Girl)
    Birth Date: December 1st, 2016

Bill Bryant, DVM and Mary Sheridan, DVM
    [protected]
    www.winthropvet.com

Thank you very much.

Also please feel welcome to contact me by phone [protected] cell [protected] and I will be happy to help with any questions you may have.
    Best Regards, Angelica Down
    www.kentshilllabradoodles.com

Apr 03, 2017

The complaint made entirely false accusations and statements, claiming us to be a " Dishonest and misleading breeder, unethical".
    In my 16 years breeding experience I have never received a false claim and complaint such as this.
    Please see our Comments Page on our website for an accurate description of our customer satisfaction.
    Comments Page http://www.kentshilllabradoodles.com/comments.html

Dec 18, 2018

Love these pups and family