Kaplan University / terrible place!

1 550 W. Van BurenChicago, IL, United States Review updated:

Kaplan University is trying to be something it's not: a prestigious university that's reknown worldwide.
From an internal source: Dr. Betty Vandenbosch, KUs new Dean of the Graduate School of Management, has a clear vision for where shed like the school to go.

My goal is to make the MBA program at Kaplan competitive with top-tier MBA programs around the globe, both online and on the ground, she said. As it grows, students will gain a larger and larger network of Kaplan graduates they can work with and rely on.

I think I hear Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, Columbia, and Drexel shaking in their boots.

Va

Comments

• Ev
      15th of Apr, 2008

They stirong armed me on signing up for classes so I was late 2 quaters in a row. They don't try & assist the student once tuition is paid.

• Ka
      16th of Sep, 2008

If your looking for help in solving your issues with Kaplan university, Come vent on our student forums for free.

www.kaplanforums.com

Come join us even if your experience was not satisfactory. We can help.

28th of Oct, 2008

This is a horrible school! $326 per unit for a school that has standards below your local community college. Not worth it! I do not recommend it to anyone.

15th of Jan, 2009

I went to Kaplan University for 7 weeks.. they are full of them self's they lye to people and say on its only this cost per term 3500.00 but then again they add charges to keep you from having the money that is left over that is yours to begin with an never send it to you.. and if they do they say you have to pay it back...
    Which they did this to a friend of mine... they are frauds and they scam people and the Fasfa Gov. Grant People they should be shut down permanently! and sent to JAIL!

15th of Jan, 2009

To file complaints through the Attorney General Office against Kaplan University here is a link...

15th of Jan, 2009

Here is a complaint link for Florida colleges...

• Yo
      27th of Nov, 2009

Kaplan is a FRAUD!!! I have received student loans and grants and they are trying to make me pay out of pocket. The bad thing is the first amount of out of pocket expense was $300, after 2 weeks it is up to $1222. I received an email form my student loan lender saying that a Stafford loan I applied was approved for $2000, which would mean I owe nothing and they would owe me. Well as of today Kaplan has cancelled that loan and the only way I can get it if Kaplan lets the lender know yes she needs this loan, but of course I get nobody to call, email, or respond to my request.

To anyone who is considering Kaplan DO NOT ATTEND TGHIS SCHOOL THEY ARE ALL THEIVES, LIERS AND FRAUDS!!!

• Fo
      8th of Feb, 2010

I agree,

Kaplan has inflated credits, they overcharged me, the misrepresented the costs of theor shcool's tuition costs at the I was woriing wiht an adminsnin xcoubnselor. I was told the total cost for funding per school calendar year would not exceed what my funding sources were paying. They lied, now saying I owe over $1800.00 and will not give me my final transcript for transferring to a more affordable college!!!

Can I file a lawsuit?

17th of Aug, 2010

In reading most of these comments and complaints I hear, I was late getting started or you owed money for the school which you probably couldn't afford anyway. Kaplan is a FOR-PROFIT University. What is it about for-profit that ya'll don't understand. They make a profit from their schools. That doesn't make them a bad school. Also they have policies that are clearly stated if you read them. If these are not followed then yes there are consequences. I have been at kaplan for 3 terms and have been pleased with them. I have not had anymore of a problem than a brick and mortar school. They all make mistakes and I have never had a problem with my advisor because she calls in and still checks on my progress.

15th of Sep, 2010

My disagreement with Kaplan has nothing to do with policies. I have been enrolled at Kaplan for over a year. I have sent in all of my documents, yet they still call me saying that I am missing documents. When I call back they say there has been a mistake and that they will fix the problem. I still haven't received any financial aid even though I have loans. They are know calling me every day saying I owe $7200 in tuition. After explaining that I have sent in the document via email and fax 31 times and counting, they apologize and say they will fix the problem again. I am now on hold for 25 minutes trying to reach financial aid and will be threatening to complain to anyone that will listen. I doubt a lawyer will be able to do anything, but I am willing to try anything. I have already decided to switch to my local community college. If they try to give me hell at least I can camp in their office until something gets fixed. What a horrible, money-mongering, uncooperative "school". ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!

• Pe
      20th of Sep, 2010

I have read several of these complaints and I must say I'm in 100% agreement! This school is horrible. I graduated with honors with my associates decree and decided to enroll in Kaplan for the sole reason their credits were $125 cheaper than my college and I was looking forward to saving money while in college. Needless to say from the 1st month I enrolled, the financial office has been a nightmare! Here is an example of one e-mail I have sent (there has been several and I have saved everyone of them)...

"I am sending you this e-mail due to my frustration with the management of my account here at Kaplan University. I graduated with honors from another college and decided to enroll with Kaplan because of Tenisha Walker's encouragement with this being a better college. I was impressed with the financial and academic advisers I spoke to. Realizing your Bachelors program was less expensive, I enrolled to obtain my degree.

I was first promised the wave of my technical fee and was told it would take less than two years to obtain my degree. Needless to say, no one would help me reverse my technical fee because I was told technical fees are never waved. Almost six months later when I happened to locate the form Ms. Walker signed waving my fee, I immediately faxed it in and my fee was waved. It took my persistence to achieve what Kaplan should have already done.

Since last summer I have been receiving calls because of my balance on my account. When I enrolled, they clearly stated my FASFA would cover my tuition and I would have extra to purchase Microsoft Word and other supplies I may need (this is why I changed colleges). With no phone call from my financial adviser, my FASFA was diminished due to the poor handling of my account. I tried several times to contact Mike Lisak, over three months later, (again with my persistence) I was able to get a hold of him. He explained to me taking two classes too many, I can only take one class at a time in order not to be in the negative. He also said he would maximize my student loans in order to ensure I will have enough to pay for my tuition.

This is alarming because this means it will take twice as long for me to graduate (which was not promised to me when I enrolled) and I have never had to only take one class at a time. Since last September of 2009, I continuously receive calls about my account, even though I reduced my credits in half. I Spoke to someone on Oct. 4th, 2009 at 11:30 a.m. explaining I am requesting a different financial worker. I was told this needs to be escalated and a Katy Burke would call me. I waited, called again on Oct. 9th and was told a Tiffany Washington would call me because Katie Burke does not handle financial aid. I waited, On Dec. 23rd I called AGAIN and spoke to an Amy Cagle and was told a Teonna Perkins would call me on this matter. I must say, I am going to take this matter further if I cannot receive the support my money is paying for! To this day, I still have had no financial help with my concerns and frankly I have never experienced such unprofessionalism at a college! My grades have suffered because I am consumed with this quandary."

After over a year of torment from this school I have made the decision to withdraw and accept my loses. Trust me I am trying to obtain an attorney so that I can receive some of my money back from them. I have never done a class action suit, but I have found several students that have experienced the same situation..They should be held accountable for what they put their students through.