Inventory Dispatch Center / Toner Scam

1 MN, United States Review updated:

I received a call from a company claiming that we got regular shipments of toner but they were out so the delivery would be delayed. I am new to the company and did not realize that we only order products a)when we need them and b) through one specific company. I received more calls from what I thought was a legit company and they assured me that my printer toner would be on its way. When I received the toner, there was a bill for $693. The bill was given to my supervisor who advised me that this was a scam and that I should contact the company. I called the company listed on the bill but they are only the shipping company-they are not Inventory Dispatch Center. I was given the run-around but eventually I was told that they are going to fax a mailing label and they would take us off of the phone list. At this time, I am waiting for them to fax the mailing label. I have a feeling they won't and I will have to make many more phone calls to send back toner that shouldn't have been sent in the first place.

Comments

• Gi
      7th of Feb, 2011

Very similar situation here. I negotiated a contract with a new copier leasing company which has all supplies (minus paper and staples) included in the monthly fee. Recently, a sneaky company--Inventory Dispatch Center--called and through some social engineering, found out 1) we have new copiers, and 2) the model # of the new copier from a random employee. We suddenly began receiving toner followed by a hefty bill ($700). The real problem came about when this employee didn't know to talk to me, but received the bill and got it paid. Accounting noticed a problem when 2 cartridges came with a doubly-hefty bill. They asked me, and I began calling around. I spoke with a very professional individual at the "service" company who informed me that they didn't want to do business that way and has protected Inventory Dispatch Center loyally and honorably, as Inv.Disp.Center is their "customer, " and sent me a return label to send back the double order (which we didn't pay). He took us off the list, but 3 days ago, we refused an new shipment of 4 cartridges (double again) but received a bill for $2, 725.98 from a completely different "supply" company. Here's what I know so far:

Inventory Dispatch Center
    520 Washington Blvd.
    Suite 433
    Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
    (310) 454-9023 -No answer yet, did not leave message
    F (310) 454-0453

Professional Service Company - I use the word "professional" since they actually answer the phone here:
    IDCSERVCO Business Services
    3962 Landmark Street
    P.O. Box 1925
    Culver City, CA 90232-1925
    (800) 446-9835
    F (800) 335-3962

New Service Company - Again with the answering machines, no human yet. I left a message but haven't received a call back:
    Supply World, Inc.
    11870 Santa Monica Blvd.
    Suite 106-459
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    (877) 845-8071
    F (877) 845-8073

I would consider training your employees not to give out any information over the phone to people they do not know, no matter how insignificant it seems, i.e. the principal or ranking officers in the company's organization, information about the infrastructure (including server information), or information regarding your equipment/copiers/mailing machines/water providers/etc. Social engineering is an extremely effective way to obtain this information since "normal" people try to believe others are basically good inside.

• My
      23rd of Feb, 2011

All of the above stories sound so familiar as I just received an astronomical bill from:
    Supply World, Inc.
    11870 Santa Monica Blvd.
    Suite 106-459
    Los Angeles, CA 90025
    (877) 845-8071
    F (877) 845-8073

They are billing us $619 for a qty of 1 GPR17 toner. If you Google "GPR17 price" and you'll see it is about $50 typically. They are also billing us $89.99 shipping & handling! I am in charge of all the toner ordering, and we have never done business with this company before. I futher investigated this and found that they called us one day to confirm a shipping address, and the receptionist gave the address, and they put her name on the order as the order-from! They somehow found out that we actually do use GPR17 toner, which is interesting to me. I am not sure how they found this out and it is unlikely our employees released this info. Perhaps they got this information from the supplier that we actually order this toner from under contract (IKON).

Basically they sent us toner, charged us 10X the typical cost, and put one of our employee's name as the order-from, and they are expecting the invoice to be paid. Pretty schrewd of them.

For purposes of future google searches, I am indicating the return address on the UPS Ground shipping label:
    Distribution Center
    8936 Comanche Avenue
    Chatsworth, CA 91311
    (000) 000-0000

WHAT A SCAM!!! Let's throw this back in their faces! I am considering just keeping the toner anyway! SCAMMERS!

• Wf
      3rd of Mar, 2011

We just got similar scam fax from Inventory Dispatch Center. Watch out!!

• Pe
      30th of Jul, 2012

I recieved a call from this company as well. They asked to verify my address. There was no conversation about us ordering anything. They were just calling to confirm our address. About one week later (Today) I recieved a bill for over a $1000 for 2 toner cartridges that we've never received. I tried calling the phone number on the invoice but no one answered and there was no voicemail available.