Heartland America / deceptive advertising

8085 Century BlvdChaska, MN, United States Review updated:

I purchased the Anders Nicholson stereo system. It arrived on 12/15/08. While setting it up, I saw the following instructions for the phono player, "Take the rubber mat out of the plastic bag and lay it on the Turntable." I was surprised to see that there is no rubber mat. The phono player therefore cannot be used. I was even more surprised when I called the Returns Dept. and was told that the rubber mat doesn't come with it, but has to be purchased separately! Nowhere in the company's ad for the item does it say or even imply that. Neither does the Instructions Manual indicate that the rubber mat is an optional item which must be purchased separately.

There is an implied warranty of merchantability which applies automatically if the seller is a merchant. The implied warranty of merchantability is a representation that the item will do what it is supposed to do.

I now must now waste time, money, and effort to repack and return the item to Heartland America and fight for a full refund, i.e., included the costs of postage and the company's processing fee.
Kl

Comments

Ro
  6th of Jul, 2009
On 6/26/09 I placed an order, through the mail, with Heartland for 2 market umbrellas shown on page 1 of their catalog, for $29.99 ( AFTER REBATE) each plus $9.95 shipping (each).
My total cost, including the processing and shipping charges came to $82.87.
Today I received a letter from Heartland America that I still owed them $20.00!
I called Customer Service immedietly to inquire and was told that the catalog plainly states that one must send in for the rebate and ALSO, that the rebate only applied to ONE of the umbrellas!
Of course I'm not standing for any of this outright false advertising, commenting to the representative that nowhere on the umbrella ad (or anywhere else) does it state that I must apply for the rebate nor is there a statement that the rebate only applies to one item. The umbrellas were plainly advertised as $29.99 each AFTER REBATE.
I was put on hold to talk to a "supervisor" about the problem--another delay tactic which lasted at least 5 minutes before I hung up and called Customer Service and demanded to have my order cancelled immediately and not to put me on hold again.
My order was promptly cancelled and my money will be returned.
This is my LAST order with Heartland America. My husband and I have ordered many things in the past from them before, but deceive me and lie to me once, and my business is history with you.
Om
  4th of Apr, 2012
BEWARE Heartland America their business model is basically to repackage garbage products and sell them at deep discounts.
I already knew this, and took the good with the bad. Sometimes getting great deals and sometimes getting products that were slightly damaged, missing parts et.

I gave up on them over this UKULELE I just bought

I started playing the UKE about a year ago and saw this one advertised on Heartland America as "the best looking and playing uke our buyers had ever seen". It was advertised for about $45 which is actually an average price for a Uke, but since I had a $20 store credit from a previous rebate (which they tried to cheat me out of by the way) I decided to add to my collection for a real bargain (after the rebate, mind you).

I was very excited about getting my new Uke, that is until I opened the package. It was really the biggest piece of garbage I had ever seen. It was so poorly constructed there were visible gaps in just about every seam. Ther was NO FINGERBOARD; the frets were just hammered into a flattened neck, the strings were cheap plastic (not nylon) both bridges were made of cheap, soft plastic. And needless to say, with those characteristics, apart from being hideously ugly it was completely unplayable. Without a fingerboard, the strings were so high off the frets that pressing them down changed the pitch. It was NOT a musical instrument by any stretch. It was a toy replica or wall-hanging piece worth probably less than $5.

I sent it back immediately without holding back on my disapointment and I got a refund for about half of the purchase price (actually the purchase price minus my store credit). I am out of pocket over $40 on the deal and NOTING TO SHOW FOR IT!!

I wrote them explaining how the item was nothing like what was advertised and that I should be due Purchase Price PLUS Shipping PLUS their RIDICULOUS "order processing fee" of 2.99 they charge on EVERY ORDER PLUS return shipping.
They replied that a credit had benn posted (the parial credit already received).

They are a deceptive outfit that sells CRAP!

Maybe 3 out of 10 times you'll be happ with what you buy from them, but why risk it?

Heartland America Logo Heartland America