Hampton Bay Remote Controlled Ceiling Fan / Fan went on fire!

I purchased a Remote controlled Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan W/light fixture. I turned it on today to use and it was on for about an hour when it started making a noise in the fan, so I turned it off. A little while later I smelled something burning and there was smoke pouring out of the fan, it somehow turned itself back on and I ran and turned off the main power to it. I had to call 911. The Remote module burned up and was melted. I am glad I was home at the time or I could have had a serious fire in my house. The remote model # is UC7067RC. Please anyone that has a ceiling fan with a remote, check it and make sure it does not have this same model #. I would recommend not leaving the fans on when you are going out. I am replacing this fan with a different brand all together.

D  8th of Jul, 2007 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I had the exact same issue and found that the cause was not the remote capicitor / receiver. After some due diligence, I found that there was an electrical surge caused by a home owner cutting down his tree which apparently fell differently than he expected. Other "solid state" devices (with boards) were damaged as well.

The answer is a surge protection system at the point of (electrical) entry into your home. It's not the remotes fault. Buy any other fan and chances are the capacitor / receiver will be the same made by the same company...
A  8th of Aug, 2007 by
I have the same fan/model number and had the same results. The remote or switch would no longer operate. I checked all wiring and such only to discover the receiver on top of the fan was melted on one side. The wiring was exactly the way it should have been.

A  3rd of Oct, 2008 by
I had the same problem. Smoke piled out of the ceiling Fan. The Module was melted on one side, near the capacitors.
A  13th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I had the same thing happen also. This is the second ceiling fan to catch on fire in less than a year. The other brand was a Hunter fan. The first one was a Hampton Bay with the remote. The remote seemed to be the problem.
N  16th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i would report the fan to the consumer product safety commission so they can recall the fan before somebody gets killed
N  3rd of Dec, 2009 by
I to am having the same issue with a Hampton Bay fan. I am not sure what the model is, but I am on the second remote receiver module. HB has been no help, and insists it is wired wrong, but the licensed electrician I had install the fan says otherwise. I agree with Derek, this needs to get some attention
A  6th of Jun, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I've had Hampton Bay 60" Brookdale Ceiling Fan with Remote Control. After first installation everything seemed fine. A few month later my high setting was not working, and would run lower than low. Then I couldn't reverse direction. I checked on the wiring and everthing seemed fine, after some changing of receiver switches the remote receiver began to smoke and later flashed right in front of me. So, it's Sunday, I'm warm, and I'll be calling Hampton Bay tomorrow morning. Hopefull to some avail, if not we'll be shopping a different brand.
N  14th of Jun, 2010 by
I have model uc7067rc fan and it starting out with no medium speed. It was installed correctly. Later the light or fan would turn off when it wanted to. And finally stopped working at all. I had the receiver remove and it had melted. Does anyone know of a recall for this model.
A  17th of Oct, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
This happend to me too. This Hampton Bay Model: UC7067RC is horrible. The above happen to me on the 2nd day...pop, smoke and melted parts, took it back to HD got the same one 'What was I thinking!?!"...the 1st storm we have in Dallas again Pop, smoke & melted parts, the remote quite working. My brother in law that is an engineer fixed it where the fan works but only on the highest setting...this fan sux. I'm passed the 30 day return so I'll call HB tomorrow.
A  7th of Mar, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Poorly Made model FAN-18R. Same issue. Looked inside and found what appears to be a large capacitor burned up. Did someone say, , , Class-action Lawsuit?
A  3rd of Aug, 2011 by
Same here! Anyone want to file a Class action????
email me: victoryarabians@sbcglobal.net
**subject: class action fan remote receiver
It could have burned down my house!!!
I only want them to replace my fan I am not greedy :)
N  23rd of Jun, 2012 by
OMG we just pulled down our Hampton Bay ceiling fan due to the same issue!!! Our box is completely melted and burned! This could have started a fire so easily!!! Hampton Bay didn't seem to care and when I took my melted burned box to HD they didn't seem to think anything of it! What the heck? I AM IN FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT!
N  12th of Aug, 2012 by
Same thing happened with my Hampton Bay fan. The light quit working and I fixed it by removing the remote receiver and hard wiring the light/fan. The scary thing was that I was able to get the lights on just by applying a bit of pressure to the remote receiver. The burning box/plastic did not trip the breaker. I attached a picture of my melted case after I opened it up for a close inspection. The resistor seems to have been very hot. My house could have burned with it! If someone does something for compensation, please let me know. Thanks, tjez01@gmail.com
N  17th of Mar, 2014 by
We have the same fan and since day one the only way we could get the remote to work was leaving the receiver hanging from the ceiling without the cap over it. Now after seeing everyone's comments we will be ripping this fan out and buying a new different brand. That's sad they wont recall this before someone dies or looses their home.
A  30th of Jul, 2014 by
We have experienced the exact same issue. The first time it occurred we ordered a new controller from Home Depot thinking it was an anomaly; it was not as the second controller melted and failed same as the first. We give up! The product is either junk or misapplied by the designer.
A  8th of Aug, 2014 by
Wow this is crazy that I had the same problem. Luckily I smell it and removed the module before it had completely burned up. I basically rewired my fan to work with the switch only and haven't had a problem in years. I just ran across the module today and was looking to replace it and seen these post. My question is, has anyone gotten anywhere with Hampton Bay with this issue?
N  5th of Oct, 2014 by
We have 4 of these controllers and over the last 4 years have used the fans a decent bit. It first started that the high level stopped working so we had to use the medium button for the high mode. Last night when sleeping I woke up to a strange sound from the fan. It was hardly moving but making a buzzing sound. Shortly afterwards I smelled something burning. I quickly removed killed the power and remove the fan ceiling trim piece. The controller had an awful smell, was very hot, and also melting just above the frequency adjustment switches. Very scary!!! We are replacing all of them today.

This needs to be recalled
N  22nd of Jan, 2015 by
We have had 3 instances of burned remote control receivers with our Hampton Bay unit. Fortunately we have been home when they occurred. My husband just asked me about replacing it & I was very skeptical to give it another chance. I came across this forum & have definitely decided to replace the entire fan with another make. This is very scary - I cannot believe that there hasn't been a recall!!!
I will be sending a letter to the BBB & I recommend everyone else do the same.
A  1st of Feb, 2015 by
I have 3 HB ceiling fan lights that shattered the glass globes; one was over the dining room table during a Thanksgiving dinner; another one shattered the globe but glass was not thrown; the 3rd one was on with fan on high when the globe shattered and threw a large piece hitting me and caused a ER visit and referral to a
hand surgeon. The cut was bleeding profusely and required stitches to close up.
I sent pictures of the fan and injured hand to HB, but did not get any reply. Home Depot owns HB and also would do nothing. YES _ a recall should be initiated.
A  11th of Jun, 2015 by
We have same problem melting receiver!!!