Garmin GPS / map updates

1 TX, United States Review updated:

Purchased 2 new Garmin GPS units, and when I went to get the one time map updates I was told it would cost almost as much as I paid for the GPS to get updated maps.

I had previously owned another Garmin and I had 1 year for the free upgrade.

Now Garmin says you have to get the free update within the first 60 days of purchase or it will cost you almost as much as GPS cost.

NO WHERE on the Garmin Box or in the included paper work do they tell you to get your free upgrade within 60 days of purchase. You find that out ONLY when you go to download free update.

I submitted complaint to Garmin and I basically got a smart azz answer from some rude idiot. After complaining to second person he asked me to fax in receipt (which I did) and he NEVER Responded, so I resent note asking why no reposnse - 4 days later I got short curt answer saying it was my responsibility to get free upgrade in 60 days and there were no options open - other than BUY UPDATE!!!

I have always recommended Garmin but trust me when I say this NEVER AGAIN!!!

Tom Tom has cheaper prices with exact capabilities and FREE LIFE TIME MAP UPGRADES. Our daughter bought Tom Tom and she loves it and in fact YES they do have FREE LIFE TIME Upgrades!!!

GOOD BYE GARMIN - HELLO TOM TOM... I PLAN ON SPREADING THE WORD EVERY WHERE POSSIBLE TO NEVER BUY A GARMIN, HELP PASS THE WORD AROUND!!!

Comments

• St
      27th of Jul, 2011

love your thoughts on buying tom tom! I will too. Garmin is terrible.

• Da
      20th of Aug, 2011

DO NOT BUY GARMIN! Their after purchase support is totally abysmal. DO NOT buy a map upgrade. It will not work and they will want you to change security settings that are harmful to your computer. Anjd they will still not work. If you have a job, forget support. They are aonly available for yuou to sit on the phone with them for hours during your work hours. Snce they don't provide customer support when people can ask for customer support, they don't plan on giving any.

• Pi
      15th of Jan, 2012

Shed wrong lacation of car information in NYC. Also wrong street numbers in Queens, ny

4th of Jun, 2012

DO NOT BUY GARMIN PRODUCTS PLEASES.
    I'd purchased a Garmin at COSTCO with free map update option.
    It worked fine when I test it on same day I bought it and I did not use it for about 4 months.
    When I tried to update the Garmin GPS, I can not because 90 days passed already.
    I called to customer service, and I complained because I have free update option. They said, that I can not update after 90 days.
    Garmin does not have customer service but they have a rip-off service.
    I wish that no one buys any Garmin products,
    Christopher Lee
    Conway, SC

8th of Mar, 2013

Garmin is terrible. I bought 2 different garmin devices. The first one I dropped and broke after owning it a couple of months. It was totally my own fault and I replaced it with another Garmin which started acting up at about the 9 months mark. I can't tell you how many hours my husband invested in repairing that thing. Each time it worked a short duration and then burned out again. Customer service was just the worst. Online help was little to no help and phone customer service kept us waiting on a long queue twice. Both times my husband had to hang up before they answered because it caused him to be late for work. After wasting outragious amounts of time, we gave up for a long time and then contacted them once more. But it was too late and their recompense was miniscule. I feel badly because I loved my Garmin when it worked, but I won't ever buy another. When it comes to Garmin, I advise "Buyer beware."

• Li
      29th of Apr, 2017

Bought a new 51lmt yesterday. Used it today first trip it wanted me to "leave roadway" on a highway and drive through woods. Returned it today, Garmin is a complete waste of money and will never ever get another penny from me or anyone else that I speak with about purchasing a GPS. Live traffic needs an app on your smartphone and completely locks your data usage. Uses data off your cell plan. Garmin is a joke and I hope they lose billions of dollars!