Dr. Sergio Verboonen. / Dr. Sergio Verboonen.

1 Mexico Review updated:

I had paid to have lap band placed. Planned for out of state in mexico related to costs. $30, 000 here and $6, 000 there. Any ways the first time I had the procedure the band slipped the very next day and had to have removed. Several thousands of dollars to have removed. THEN they promise to redo the lap band related to the slippage, so went back and immediately after the procedure it slipped. They refused to remove the band unless I paid cash. I couldn't even keep down my own salivia. DO NOT GO TO MEXICO OR HAVE Dr. Sergio Verboonen PLACE A LAP BAND!!!
Sheri Doble or AKA Sheri Burke schedules for this poor doctor

Kr

Comments

28th of Apr, 2010

The refering doctor must be getting kickbacks from Dr. Sergio Verboonen. This is horrrible. It is like stealing your money and getting away with it clean. You need to spread this out and help to fight against too many evil unethnical dishonest doctors. There are just too many. Everyone is telliing the truth. We cannot let these evil doctors think they can get away with it. Doctors do not have the reputation they once have due to evil dishonest ruining it for the few good ones.

19th of Aug, 2018

@Mandy Moore AKA Quackbuster Who was your patient facilitator by the way?

• Da
      23rd of May, 2010

My husband had the mini by pass with Dr. Sergio Verboonen and he almost died. The surgery took place in Cancun and one week after we were again in the hospital because he had an hematoma. Two weeks after we were again in the hospital for 57 days being 10 days in Intensive Care, he had a bad mini by pass surgery where the Doctor didn´t stapled right. The result: the stomach and intestine are disconnected.
    Please dont do this surgery in hospitals and with doctors that don´t have a stablished team. You need an Internist, Phycology and a nutrition program.
    In february 26th, 2010 when my husband had the surgery, Dr. Sergio Verboonen, that weekend practiced about 13 preocedures in which 11 were American people and 2 Mexicans.
    Hospital Galenia (hospital in Cancun where he makes bariatric surgeries))is not a hygienic hospital and don´t have qualified personal. If you are going to come to Mexico to have a surgery, make sure you have it in Mexico City in qualified hospitals like ABC, Hospital Angeles or MediCa Sur.
    I remember that his co-worker Sheri took me to the pharmacy, asked for the medicines and wrote me in the medicine´s box the prescription!!!
    Oh my God!!! This has been a nightmare for all the family and friends of us. We are still recovering for all that and my husbAnd is not yet SANE.
    PLEASE try to have this surgery with professional and ethic people.

Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Any practice, anywhere can have bad outcomes. I am sorry that these 2 people say that they did. Of course there are 2 side to every story and we do not know if these people followed the instructions given to them and/or if they contributed or caused any of the problems they encountered.

I had lapband surgery on 4/23/10 with Dr. Verboonen. I had a great experience, no complaints at all and the doctor that did my first fill last week complimented the excellent placement work that was done.

I found the hospital to be very clean and hygenic and much nicer than any hospital I have been in in the US. As to Sheri and the the pharmacy, this is Mexico, you do not need a doctors prescription to get drugs there the way you do in the US.

I found Sheri, Dr. Verbooten and the staff to be very professional and caring, Sherry has kept in contact with me since the surgery and has been considerate and helpful.

And no, you cannot find the surgery in the US for prices as low as you can in Mexico, believe me I looked. For people who have to pay for this themselves it is and should remain a viable alternative.

Unlike the others, I will not hide in anonymity, anyone who would like to contact me directly can do so at windus@yahoo.com and I will be happy to tell you about my experience in more detail.

24th of May, 2010

The lowest price I found in the US was 11, 000. I paid 5900 in Mexico. I would not personally call that comparable. Oh, by the way everyone, I realized I put my email address in wrong, it is winduskc@yahoo.com

24th of May, 2010

I had a mini-gastric bypass done by Dr. Verboonen on 3/27/10. From the MOMENT I was contacted by Sheri, it was a pro operation every step of the way. What people don't realize, is that you must prepare for these procedures and make a decision to change your life. I loved the hospital (Galenia) and thought the staff was extremely professional. Sure, the fact that nobody spoke English was a concern - but - let's face it - I was in Mexico.

It is roughly 50 days later, and I have lost 60 pounds. My snoring (apnea) has stopped, the shakes have given me better energy - and I have totally cut out breads, pastas, and rice.

For the money I paid (10K) I WILL save that money in food bills within the the next year or two - trust me - it was win, win... Here's MY website.. there will be PLENTY of after pictures during the summer

Christopher Bell

24th of May, 2010

Congratulations Chris - glad to hear you had a good experience as well and I will check out your website.

Brenda - Yes, you are right. I had all those expenses. I went to beautiful, sunny, warm Cancun, spent 4 glorious days out on the amazingly blue ocean, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, out on a catamaran, dozing in a chair on the white beach under a coconut tree listening to the wind whisper through its branches and, of course, shopping. Then I had my surgery in which I had no complications, spent one night in the hospital and 2 days later came home. I had a lot more pain and complications from having my wisdom teeth removed. All total, including my wonderful, relaxing vacation I spent less than 7000 total. Still more than 4000 less than the cheapest place in the US - which by the way I would have had to fly to and pay for a hotel room as well - the cheapest surgery in my area was 16500. And guess what, I still would have been far from home in case of complications and surgeons in the US have complications just the same!

Wow! You have 382 comments on here - thank god I have too much of a life to spend my time being a troll on a message board and commenting on things that I know nothing about just to try and start arguments!

I will be happy to converse with anyone that has a dog in this fight but won't feed the troll anymore.

• Ji
      4th of Oct, 2010

I agree Windus, I have known a patient in the USA that went into the Hospital in Vegas for a Bypass, and never returned home ! Also, a friend in Florida had Bypass surgery and was in the Hospital every month for 18 months. First the So call ed experienced Doc made her stomach too small, then after a second surgery to fix that, she had another complication and had another surgery. After 18 months she is now stable, but it was a roller coaster. So, you never know.
    But, I can tell you that Dr. Verboonen has had 12 years experience and is very compassionate man.
    I had my surgery 2 years ago with him and am doing great ! I went to the private hospital INT in Baja California . The Hospital was so clean you could eat off the floor ! This Hospital has now expanded and has 20 private rooms compared to the 9 it use to have. The Nurse's are excellent, and come running down the hall if you push the call button. Ever see that happen in the USA ? No, not unless its a Code Blue ! Sheri and Diana, the Doctor's Patient Facilitators are extremely nice, full of information and make all the arrangements ! Why shouldn't the Doctor's pay them for all their efforts ? Nobody works for Free ! Do you ? Diana has had Lap band so, when you talk to her she has experience everything that a new patient has. Even Doctor Verboonen is also a patient of the Lap band ! He feels our pain ! I can't say enough good. Doctor Verboonen is also a Chief Surgeon, specializing in Laperscopic surgery so he can take out Gallbladders, Appendix, fix Hernias all a a very affordable cash price. I have a friend, just had her Appendix out, 40 thousand dollars USA . Compared to 5 or less in Mexico. So, as you can see I am very pleased. And very soon, I am having a tummy tuck !

13th of Jan, 2011

My name is rebecca garcia I. Had the sleeve nov 11 2010 all the people was super nice dr.v is the best.

13th of Jan, 2011

Its me rebecca if you want to call me my nunber is 2144488601

• 40
      16th of Mar, 2014

I had Dr. Verboonen place my band 9 years ago, my surgery was a great success as was the 2 other ladies that had surgeries at the same time. A close friend also went down and had the surgery done and was very pleased. I found that I was treated far better by Dr. Verboonen and his staff than I have ever been treated by a Dr. from the HMO system. If I have a problem (caused by my HMO) Dr. Verboonen listens and cares about making it right. My HMO Dr. argued with me and told me nothing was wrong when I knew it was. My HMO punctured my tubing during a band fill and destroyed my band and then screwed up the replacing of it by putting it too close to my ribcage. I would much rather have Dr. Verboonen operate on me than any US doctor or surgeon at this point. I really appreciate that they pick me up from the airport and cart me to the hotel and my appointments; find a US doctor who will do this! I can't wait to have Dr. Verboonen fix the mistake my HMO made; the band he had originally placed was great and had been in place for 6 years. I would also not get a fill from a US doctor ever again. Dr. Verboonen uses flouroscopy for the fill and your band works right away and not many fills are necessary. The HMO doctors shoot blindly and it can take a year or two before your band is filled enough to function.

20th of May, 2014

My wife went to good ole Sergio and as a result had 7 sergury's afterwards to try to FIX what he screwed up. No she has no stomach, replaced esophagus, and NO life. She can't absorb protein and continues to lose weight. Thanks to good ole Serg my wife has lost EVERYTHING, will spend the rest of her life on disability.Hmmm, I wonder why he lives in San Diego and practices in Mexico, because you can't sue!!!
    Mark Irvin

8th of Dec, 2014

I am planing to do i Mini Bypass with dr Verboonen, place advine me!

• Bo
      27th of Aug, 2017

@José. Pulido DONT DO IT!!! HE KILLED ME.

• Pa
      8th of Nov, 2017

I had my Gastric Sleeve surgery done by Dr Verboonen, It was the best decision. I never had a problem, loss about 175 pounds and still maintaining my desire weight. Im sorry that you have complications due to the surgery.

14th of Dec, 2018

BUEN DIA A TODOS MI EXPERIENCIA CON EL DR. VERBOONEN FUE DE LAS MAS MALAS QUE HE TENIDO EL EN 2003 ME REALIZO UNA OPERACION POR UNA HERNIA DIAFRAGMATICA LA OPERAION FUE BUENA AL PARECER TODO ESTA PERFECTO PERO 10 AÑOS DESPUES COMENCE CON UN DOLOR EN LA PARTE IZQUIERDA DE MI ABDOMEN POR LO QUE ACUDI A SERVIDIO MEDICOS Y CUAL FUE MI SORPRESA EL DR VERBOOEN HABIA DEJADO UNA AGUJA DE SUTURA DENTRO DE MI ABDOMEN, EN SU MOMENTO ACUDI CON EL DR A EXPLICAR LO OCURRIDO Y SE DESLINDO COMPLETAMENTE DE SU RESPONSAVILIDAD EN ENSOS MOMENTOS EL DR. ESTA EN PROCESO ANTE EL JUZGADO PENAL POR EL DELITO DE LESIONES CULPOSOS, RESPONSABILIDAD MEDICA Y TECNICA. ESPERANDO SU SNETENCIA DESPUES DE 5 AÑOS DE ESTAR LUCHANDO PARA QUE EL DR SE HAGA RESPONSABLE E SU ACTOS POR FIN ETOY VIENDO EL ESFUERZO RENDIR FRUTOS A TODAS LAS PERSONAS QUE TUVIERON ALGUNA MALA EXPERICIA CON ESTE DR. CONTACTEME REYESARMANDO7@HOMAIL.COM TENEMOS QUE LUCHAS PARA QUE SEPAN QUE NO NOS DEJAREMOS ANTE LAS INJUSTICIAS Y QUE ELLLOS SON RESPONSABELS DE LA VIDA QUE UNO PONE EN SUS MANOS YA QUE ELLOS HAEN UNJURAMENTO CUANDO SON EGRESADOS . ESTOY DE ACUERDO QUE TODA CIRUGIA TIENE RIESGOS PERO EL DEJAR UNA AGUJA ESO ES NEGLIGENCIA DESCUIDO POR PARTE DEL CIRUJANO RECUERDENSERGIO VERBOONEN OPERA EN EL LA CIUDAD DE TIJUANA Y SE ANUNCIA MUCHO EN ESTADOS UNIDOS NO CAIGAN EN SUS MANOS NO PASEN LO QUE YO PASE.

• He
      8th of Jan, 2019

I had surgery with Dr. V along with my daughter in Cancun in April of 2018. It was a little scary going to Mexico but neither of us regret it. Everything was as we were told. So far my daughter has lost over 100 lbs and I have lost 95. The staff was very caring and the surgery room looked just like the ones in the US. We are very happy with the results. We had the gastric sleeve. Thank you Dr. V for helping us!