Dixieland /Halo German Shepherds

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 by

German shepherd puppy

1.65
I found Dixieland/Halo German Shepherds in an online search. She had photos on her website of beautiful dogs and puppys. Located in Vidalia GA. I called and left a message and was answered by text. I told her what I was looking for and price range. She sent me several photos of puppies from 4 months to 6 months old. All very healthy looking. My first choice was a black and silver female which she said was 5 months old. We made arrangements to take the 3 hour drive to meet the puppy on 10/30/16. The night before I was told that she would bring the puppy to her home. Would not let us go to the kennel. Should have been a red flag. I wanted to meet a few others that she had sent pics of to see the different personalities. A puppy is not something you just chose from a photo. I asked her to bring a white male and another black/silver male. Said she would only bring 2. When we arrived she had the white male but told us that the female had hurt her leg and she wouldn't let us see her. Instead of bringing the third one I had chosen she brought an 8 month old male. Kind of skittish but she said that he just didn't like being away from the other dogs. We brought him home and he threw up twice on the drive. Puppy wouldn't eat or drink or even get up and move around. Messaged her and was told he was homesick and once he got used to us he would be fine. We were scared of parvo so we took to the vet the next day. Was tested and vet said he had the worst case of giardia that she had seen from drinking contaminated water. Also his ears were full of black crud and not standing up. Weighed only 38 lbs at 8 months. Got meds and fluid in an iv and took him home. He is slowly coming around. Eating some and drinking water but hasn't gained any weight. Still very skittish. Starting to act like a puppy when he is in the yard a little but still very quiet and sad when inside. Don't believe he has had any socialization or ever been inside. She got very indignant in texts when I told her his status and told us to "just bring him back". Can't do that to the poor puppy. If anyone is considering buying a puppy from this woman, Anglea Powell, please be very careful. If ours has these issues it stands to reason that other will also. (Photo the night we brought him home)
Updated by Kym Marie, Apr 19, 2017
This woman definitely doesn't need to be breeding dogs. She talked all about being a Christian but when I contacted her about the one we bought being sick she got very nasty and told me to bring him back. Wasn't about to take him back to her. He had an extreme case of intestinal parasites and only weighed 38 pounds at eight months old. Didn't realize how underweight he was until we got him home and took him to the vet. The vet said she never seen a case of parasites that bad. Contacted the Georgia Department of agriculture but they didn't do anything to her. Said they couldn't find any violations. Just glad we saved him from her!
Updated by Kym Marie, Jun 30, 2017
Our boy, that we dearly love, is 16 months and still hasn't made it to 65 lbs and we've tried numerous things to put some weight on him. He is also afraid of his own shadow most of the time, had parasites (giardia) and ears full of black crud. We were done exactly the same way, right down to communicating by text. Wouldn't allow visit to her "kennels" and showed up to meet us with only one of the 3 puppies I'd requested to meet. Beware to anyone who deals with Angela Powell.
Complaint comments Comments (22) Complaint country United States Complaint category Dog Breeders

Comments

N  19th of Apr, 2017 by    +1 Votes
If you are even thinking of buying a dog from this breeder please google Halo German Shepherds (she changed the business name to Dixieland, yet another red flag) and read the reviews. The complaints and Angela's responses speak for themselves.
N  25th of Apr, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Angelaisafraud My response to you was ACTUALLY to bring the puppy back if you didn't like him. You declined because you liked him. Also, we are part of a copperative with other breeders. We are not a single entity. Please check your facts before making slanderous comments.
N  25th of Apr, 2017 by    0 Votes
@cyberlaw *cooperative with other breeders...
D  9th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Prior to purchasing from this breeder, I googled the name and read the few complaints posted. Keeping in mind that there are some people you just can't make happy, I continued with my purchase of all 4 of my wonderful German Shepherds, Rooster, Milo, Buster, and Alina. These dogs have changed my life and brought great happiness to me and my family. I couldn't have asked for a better breeder, a cleaner facility, or better healthier dogs. I have referred many people to this network of breeders and all have been extremely happy. Even the breeder has become like part of my family with their generosity and hospitality. At this very moment I am looking to buy my FIFTH German Shepherd from them. WONDERFUL PEOPLE!
N  11th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
I purchased my male silver GSD puppy from Dixieland German Shepherds in January 2017. He was so adorable and had to endure a 3 hour drive home. He was patient and so well behaved for being a puppy. No fleas or issues when I took Steele to the vet the following day. He is now 5 mos. old and so beautiful, weighs 42 lbs. and is growing by leaps and bounds.

I trained Steele to ring the bell to go outside to do his business and to shake with either paw. Learning both took less than 30 minutes. Super intelligent and with most GSDs, extremely stubborn. Dixieland
German Shepherds was responsive to all of my questions and I had tons.

They also breed gorgeous, intelligent GSDs. Steele’s markings are striking. Thank you so much for the easy transaction, and a welcome family member.

Love my Steele!
Kimberly Bentz"
May 9 2017
Just wanted to send you a picture of Raksha. (What we named her) she is a very happy girl and her ears are starting to stand up. She is a really sweet girl. We are really excited to have her!
Michael Korb
May 9 2017
We are very happy with our puppy. I Call him Jack! He's great! He is a good rider. He ate his dinner and he and our dog Betty are getting along fine. I remember that you had Rin Tin Tin line. But didn't know he was of Rin Rin Tin, I love my puppy.
Mark Little
Hey Angela,

Here is Max with his Vet passing his exam with flying colors. She said he is in awesome condition. He has already settled in quite well and everyone loves him dearly. Thank you so much and we will keep you updated. Angela he is an awesome dog. He is so smart and very well behaved. Rest assured when it is time for the next one I will be calling
Chris Waters

May 2 2017
Just thought you might enjoy seeing how sweet this girl is and Logan adores her. Thank you again.
They are best friends!!! I get a picture of her everyday from him. I call her my grand-dog. Just wanted you to see how much she's loved.
Violet Salter
April 8 2017
Thank you again! We can't get over how smart and precious he is. His social skills are remarkable.! Working on making him a can go anywhere anytime boy! Had our vet visit. Growing every day. Potty training going well with bells on the door. Just a little spoiled. He was the hit of the Easter egg hunt!
He did give the bunny a kiss on the nose. Maybe thought he was family. We want to keep you posted on his progress. He may need a brother or sister one day 😊
Ruth Rakey

January 8 2017
We bought our male solid black shepherd home on 12/12/16. He has been perfect from day one! Instinctively humble and aware, with our 4 year old son he has given us no worries. We searched for 2 years thinking we would have to fly to get this specific breed, just to randomly google search one day and find the breed available an hour away. Anyone viewing this that will have to travel ANY distance for any of her amazing animals is WELL worth it! We met with Angela the next day and the experience has been life changing! 2 weeks later we picked up our new "son". Angela strives daily to provide top notch care, love and support to all of her animals! Retaining an animal from this breeder is unlike any other! They are TRULY loved and cared for in the time before they become a part of your family after purchase! Which speaks volumes for the experience you'll have after you return home with your new member. Our shepherd "Brinks" was superior healthy at his first vet check in and is thriving! The work Angela does with these animals is a blessing here on earth! As is she! We r so thankful for this amazing addition to our family! A dream come true from Dixie Land German Shepherds!
Lots of love from the Cook family!
Stephanie, Brandon, Ruger & "Brinks" Cook
April 14 2017
We want to thank you for BOTH of our babies. Our sweet babies are growing so fast. They have blessed our home and our hearts. So much fun to watch them play!
Pat Easterwood

March 23 2017
Thank you so much for our wonderful puppy. He loves our dog and is so happy! He's amazing and loves to ride
Leonel

N  20th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Here's Max after his second vet visit relaxing in his shop couch he has firmly claimed. He proudly doubled his weight to 30.8 lbs. and is in excellent condition.
Thanks again!
Chris Waters

May 15, 2017
Hi, Ma'am...we hope you & yours are doing great. I thought you might like this picture of Lady at 7 months & 70 lbs of sweetness while helping dad mow the grass today. We just found out our second child is on the way and we are sure Lady will ❤️ her to no end like she already loves the girls. Thanks & God Bless!!!
John Lewis

N  20th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Thank you! God's timing is always perfect. Lady already senses when my wife is nauseas & cuddles up around her & makes her feel better. Their ability to sense & read emotions is miraculous. You guys be blessed.
John Lewis
APRIL 27, 2017
UPDATE: My big baby! He's 70 lbs at 6 months! He's totally rotten. Sleeps in the bed with me every night and swims in the pond and plays with the horses all day 😊

N  20th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
APRIL 27, 2017 UPDATE (continued)
Thanks again!
KARA BROOKS
A  30th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
I did some research on the Internet and came across Dixieland German Shepherd's when I was looking for an all black German shepherd. I had been in contact with Angela Powell, tried to call but was responded back to via text, first red flag. I requested to see the litter and wanted to pick out my shepherd but when we drove 2 1/2 hours to Vidalia, there was Angela standing there with only one Shepherd in the yard. She told me that all the others were spoken for and this was the only pup left. Now purchasing a full-blooded German Shepherd AKC certified from Atlanta prior to this pup, I got to see the entire litter and hand selected the shepherd I wanted to take home. Checked the pup out, he seemed ok so I completed the transaction and away we went. From the time he was small, until now (1 year, 2 months) I have had a miserable time house training this animal. He would, and still does, defecate in his crate, and lay in it. Now before you assume that my training skill/patience/time to dedicate are subpar, let me tell you that I have raised many large breed dogs to include my 3 year old shepherd, and many others over the years. Never once have I had an animal lay and roll around in his own feces. As he grew, he has had an ton of health issues to include bacterial infections, yeast infections, Demodectic mange, hair loss, and ear infections. For the first 6 to 8 months, he seemed to be growing at a rapid rate. However, at over a year old he has yet to reach standard German shepherd breeds size. I will say he has a great temperament but I feel this breeder has done a disservice to these animals. From my extensive research that I've down, my shepherd has many signs of inbreeding. Of course I won't get rid of him, but when you're told the the father is 118 pounds, mother 105 pounds but you aren't able to see them and you some how are left with a 1 year 2 months old shepherd that weighs 65 pounds, you can't help but to feel duped. Be careful with this breeder. I see positive reviews but I surely did not have a positive experience.
N  13th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
Wanted to let you know that Doug saw our vet today and got flying colors. We absolutely adore him. Thank you!
Randee and Tami Harbison

N  13th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
Thank you for our amazing baby! My mom is super jealous of my baby and wants to get one of her own. And I am trying to find her one before she steals mine away from me haha. She wants a white female as well.
Leslie Woiwabe

N  13th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
Wanted to let you know that our Saber is amazing. She fell in love with our Copper and is doing so well!
Karen Herndon