24 Hour Fitness / misleading, dishonest, agressive, rude,
I went to 24 hour fitness on 09/04/08 to recieve information about a gym membership.
Upon recieving that information it was assumed id be purchasing the membership that day, which I had no intention of doing as I didnt have the money.
I was encouraged to leave a small deposit to start the membership and informed that I would have 5 business days to cancel this membership for a refund. I wrote a $25 check and gave the manager (Amanda kukuk) permission to deduct the dues and the remainder of the fees ($130.12) if I dedcided to keep the membership.
Due to the fact that I signed up for the membership on the 4th I assumed (And was never told anything different) that my 1st day of the 5 days would start the following day. I returned on the 11th, which would have been the 5th business day, to cancel. I was informed that my 5 days where not business day but literally 5 days so I wasnt entitled to a refund of $25. I accepted that and made it clear that I would not be charged for the enrollment or any other dues.
That turned out to be untrue. I was charged 130.13 on 9/26/08 for a membership that I never used and cancelled with in 5 business days.
According to customer service I was right in my thinking but 24 hour fitness considers saturday to be a business day so I was 1 day late. That I know should have been revealed to me from day one.
After speaking with amanda kukuk it was the worst customer service experience ever. Obviously I didnt read every inch of the fine print (And even the 5 business day clause didnt state saturday was a business day) but the fact that I was working with the club manager i'd assumed i'd be getting honest service.
These are the issues.
1. I only wanted information and just getting up and walking out on her was the only way I was going to be able to say no with out being to rude.
2. 5 business days? In the state of california 5 business days means monday-friday. Amandas response was that I assumed wrong and signed the contract and there was nothing else I could look foward to recieving.
(Dishonest, rude, and misleading)
3. At this time I am unemployed. I plan every penny and my health is a concern which is why I wanted to get the membership in my new city. I am now out $130.00 for a membership I never used, honestly came back to cancel on what I believed to be the 5th day and am now treated like a rude ignorant person for thinking that there are honest good hearted people.
Amanda kukuk-club manager:
-mislead me as a customer.
-treated me with no respect, compassion or dignity.
-gave me the rudest service, with an issue she helped to create, id ever recieved in my life.
-ruined 24 hour fitness' image in my mind, and I will be sure to tell everyone of my experience with them.
I dont know what submitting this complaint will do but I am very upset by this treatment. The attitude of a manager to a customr who is only being honest and respectful should only at the least be the same. Rude, condicending, disrespectful, dishonest behavior should only be exhibited by ignorant people, not people with any amount of power... Or does that mean they give power to ignorant people?
I spoke to one person who was very kind, the membership manager kim. Only after speaking with her did I recieve a call from amanda with a whole other attitude attempting to partially rectify the problem. Which again was her choice. She still chose not to refund the full amount. Just a portion.
More 24 Hour Fitness Complaints & Reviews
- 24 Hour Fitness - dues increase??? 
- 24 Hour Fitness - poor members treatment! 
- 24 Hour Fitness - fraud class action suit 
- 24 Hour Fitness - consumer fraud 
- 24 Hour Fitness - unprofessional behaviour! 
- 24 Hour Fitness USA - 24 hours cutler ridge
- 24 Hour Fitness USA - service at 24 hr fitness high st oakland ca
- 24 Hour Fitness USA - employee misconduct 
- 24 Hour Fitness USA - canoga park sales manager nathan rude and demeaning
- 24 Hour Fitness USA - zumba instructors professionalism at 24 hour fitness