Close Combat TrainingUnauthorized Charges

J

This guy, "Captain" Chris Pizzo, sells a series of DVDs which purportedly instruct the viewer in close quarter combat techniques that were used between WWII and the Vietnam war. He then signs you up for a 99 dollar a month auto renewal vitamin subscription, and starts charging your credit card. He informs you that you've been signed up, which I'm sure shocks everyone about as much as it shocked me.

FYI, once the first charge came through, I reported it to my credit card, Capital One Bank. It was removed about a week later, charged back to Captain Chris Pizzo. Now I'm just waiting to see if he tries to charge me for something else.

I'm a Jujitsu and self defense instructor, and I want to warn anyone who's considering purchasing these DVDs - they're actually not bad, but they're not terribly good either, and I definitely wouldn't say they're worth the hundred and twenty bucks I paid. But if you do order them, WATCH your credit card statement! Once Chris Pizzo charges you for something you didn't order, you can complain about the unauthorized charge to your card, you just have to do so quickly.

• Wa
    wayne May 13, 2009

I agree up to a point. The thing is that I ordered the CCT package which arrived in due course. What may be unethical is the company does not spell-out that there will be ongoing charges. I myself kind of read between the lines, realised what was about to happen, and contacted them soon after receiving the dvds and cancelled the membership to the core-inner-circle or whatever it is called. There was no problem to do that and I have had no ongoing or recurring charges.

Another point if I may. I also ordered the 15 minute hell workout dvd on the basis that if I did not like it I could return it no questions asked withing 3 months for a full refund. I had a look at it and whether or not the workout is of any value, the production, editing and presentation of the video was amateurish in the extreme. I promptly returned the dvds (to US from Australia) feeling it was way not worth the money and waited. And waited. And waited. Then, unlike the experience of other people I have read about I actually received an email confirming they had received the returned merchandise and the refund would be honoured.

On the basis of that experience I probably have little to complain about and what I was beginning to fear was an out and out scam, which seems to be the opinion of a lot of people on the net, I would have to say turned out to be a fairly honest and open experience. I suppose it still all comes down to caveat emptor! Perhaps tooc certain parties who perhaps once pursued less than ethical business practices worked out they can make a buck by actually trying to build a good reputation through refining their erstwhile practices somewhat. That's my opinion for what it is worth.

DanielJ.Begley Jun 15, 2009

Hi my name is Dan Begley I hold 2 black belts. A real 9th degree black belt taught me. Rudy Timmerman is the Grand Master of, Kong Shin Bup. Here is that our home page says: The National Korean Martial Arts Association (NKMAA) offers students and Instructors of: Hap Ki Do, Tae Kwon Do, Kuk Sool, Tang Soo Do, Kong Shin Bup™, and other Korean martial arts, the following services: Registration of Rank, Certification, Testing, Consulting, Seminars and Workshops in KI Training, Weapons Training, Joint-locking, Pressure Points, Traditional Forms, and a myriad of awesome Self-defense techniques.
    The stuff Captain Chris teaches is not top secret we teach it to our white belts. I watched the videos and found that a lot of his techniques are very poorly done. You would not know if you are doing something wrong, unless someone was there to tell you. Please don’t waste your money.
    Dan

Dale Hickey Jul 03, 2009

I attained my instructor ratings in hakido 10 years ago, my instuctors were taught by Ji Han Jae, and Kwang Sik Myung, both grandmasters.
    Now I realise that nothing is really new to me in the techniques department, although there are some pretty good escape tricks, and stuff in there. I like the fact that Chris Pizzo has cut the fancy stuff, and gone with the gross motor movements. I like his teaching style, with concept maps, and the like.
    Don't you worry I was facinated with martial arts all my life, but the reason I do like the close combat stuff is simple.
    Before I wisened up, and beat all of my habits that I had picked up over my life, I was always getting involved in real life fights, I mean crazy stuff. Gangs of youths, bikie fights in pubs, bar room brawls, street fights, bats, sticks, knives to the throat, bouncers, police, jilted ex lovers breaking through doors ect to come, and kill me. There is more, anyway you get the message.
    Obviously I survived due to my knowledge, and conditioning.
    However I can tell you that there was no flash moves involved in any real fight, once it is on, and your life depends on it, the simple combat type moves are all you will do to survive, whether it be stand up, or ground.
    I am not saying don't learn martial arts, I love martial arts, and every art has something to offer, just don't be blind to the truth when it comes to survival.
    One thing that I have noticed about my friends, family, and associates is that no one wants to go through what I went through just to learn how to defend themselves, they want to know easy, and simple ways that work, even if they don't get it 100% right.
    Everyone can make their own choice, not everyone has the desire, and drive to be an earned black belt, rather than a paid one.

• In
    instantninja Jul 22, 2009

Avoid anything that tells you that you will become an instant ninja with death touch from a DVD overnight. If it was that easy the SAS and Navy Seals wouldn't bother to spend all the time learning it and hiring all the experts, the Israeli's wouldn't teach REAL Krav Maga, the UFC guys would all study Captain Chris' system and everyone on the street would be a lethal killer with finger tip death touches.

The problem with Captian Ninja's [sic] stuff is that you WANT it to be true. Well I want to win the lottery too but that never happens and you won't become an instant ninja, just add disrespect by watching Captain Ninja's video either.

• Hi
    Hickey Jul 31, 2009

I hear what you are saying "instant ninja" and i would have to agree with you to some extent. I get this stuff very quickly as I have already spent years, and years learning all sorts.
    To learn it instantly is a hard ask.
    I have used close combat, and combined it with bjj, and hapkido ect, and put my own syllabus together.
    I started out thinking, a 10 week course yeah, good for those of us that already know heaps, after showing some friends, and the like, I realised it was more like 10 levels, and the time frame would be more like 3-4 years at least. I call it "Hikido Combat". It follows the rules of Traditional Arts, Combat Sports, and Self Defence.
    More info in the future on that. I probably will only teach a select few.

• Su
    SuperVepr Jul 31, 2009

How do you folks feel about sambo or systema? I am tempted to look into those. No, I don't expect to be a bad ### overnight:)

• Se
    semper paratus Aug 10, 2009

I didn't buy the videos to become A"Captain Ninja"cadet.I wanted a plan of defense.I don't want to get into a fight with lord and master Rudy Timmerman.I didn't want to spend $1, 000 or much more and spend hours in the gym learning REAL Krav Maga.The videos are what they are, IDEAS of what to do.I want a plan not a black belt.I took Bondo boxing in college, it was a good time, but I didn't get a good idea what to do on the street.I have an idea now.
    If you are going to buy the dvds and expect to be a master at anything you will be disappointed.
    Take it for what it is.
    If you think you can get a dvd on football and expect to be in the NFL next spring you got a nother thing comin.

• To
    TotenkopfAZ Aug 21, 2009

I live in AZ & ordered Capt. Chris' DVD's last month. I got the DVD's that I ordered, but quite frankly think they are of poor quality. Today, I received a bottle of dietary supplements in the mail THAT I DID NOT ORDER! I immediately checked my credit card, only to find that $39.95 was charged to my card 2 days ago. I called the 24/7 number for Close Combat only to be told someone would call me back on Monday. So much for 24/7 service! I immediately cancelled my credit card so these SOB's cannot charge me again. WARNING! Do not do business with them.

• Cl
    Clugston Aug 27, 2009

It's called forced continuity. He used to have a memebershiipd but it's easier to do supplements as they run out and you need more. Now, he has put the option for you to de list them--but most people will not see that. Hsi money now is in contniuity.

He's a follower of John Reese--if you people don't know marketing--he's a multi millionaire.

Look, one thing I wil say is that way too many people think that fighting, self defense material should be free or lwo cost--while they spend htousands on golf or violin lessons for their kids. Get a grip on what reality is.

• Mh
    mharris Oct 05, 2009

I bought his program and it's a scam. Just type in their name and scam and see what comes up on google. They keep bilking your credit card for supplements you never ordered

• Wi
    willhocks Oct 21, 2009

Yeah...like all scams he has little tid-bits of truth tucked into his argument which makes it seem believable on the surface. Yes learning complicated forms and techniques will probably not help much in an applied real-life fight, but neither will his stupid videos. It's like a diet pill commercial saying your fat. Yes you are fat, it's true, but the diet pill isn't going to solve all your problems overnight. Using gross motor movements to target people's weak spots is very intuitive, and not something that you need to spend $100+ to learn. If you're severely threatened by someone, break their finger, knee them in the groin, or gouge them in the eye. There, I should have just made $500 sharing that. :P

• Mi
    mildly biased Oct 25, 2009

Alrighty, well I just stumbled upon "Captain Chris" and his website, and thought I'd chime in to lend another opinion from a martial artist's point of view. I practice the disciplines of Kali, Sayoc Kali, Wing-Chun, JKD, Wu-Wei gung fu, BJJ and Sambo, under the tutelage of Sensei/Sifu Bruce Foster.
    I was initially intrigued by the stuff "Captain Chris" had to say about his system, because much of what he says regarding simple muscle movements and "ingraining" the moves into your muscle memory is very legitimate. However, as several people above have pointed out, this is not something that can be learned overnight. In my experience, the only way to get those moves into your muscle memory is to build those reflexes with thousands of repetitions. Much of what he says about getting rid of all the "fluff" in traditional martial arts is great, and is one of our primary principles in all of the disciplines that I study.
    However, I was not impressed by the videos that he showed on his website: the actors/students (and himself as well) that performed his techniques looked sloppy, inexact, and I was entirely unconvinced that I (or any other self-respecting Kali artist) would be as helpless as he claimed to block his attacks.
    This post is dragging on, and I could say quite a bit more, but I will suffice to say that his stuff just doesn't live up to his wild promises, and will leave it at that.

On another note, yes, his web-site struck me as a huge red flag for being a scam. Way too many typos and outrageous promises for a quick, super secret brutal method of fighting (which of course he has to say is condemned by the military, martial arts dojos, & powers that be). I tried to see if he was telling the truth about being featured on the myriad of news stations that he had claimed, but when I searched "captain chris" or "close combat training" found nothing on msnbc, the today show, cnn, or fox even a little bit related. Maybe someone else managed to find them, but I sure did not. The "Wait!" audio clip that plays when you are about to navigate away from the site almost made me shite myself.

Garov1 Nov 03, 2009

I bought the Close Combat Training kit and didn't realiise Captain Chris had signed me up for his monthly supplements charged to my credit card account. I have since complained and am waiting for a refund.

nolanurse Nov 10, 2009

The "closecombathelp.com" site is "UNAVAILABLE" and the phone number at 866-966-9705 sends you to another phone number, 866-297-6069 that directs you to go to the closecombathelp site, which, of course, IS UNAVAILABLE !!! Best way to get them to stop charging your card is to CANCEL IT !!! You'll never speak to a "LIVE PERSON" like the website promises that you can, "seven days a week, 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year".
    "Captain Chris" is a TOTAL SCAM !!!

• Kh
    khalilakhil Nov 26, 2009

I would have to say that doing martial arts is about far more than simply self-defense. It is a form of meditation just as much as a form of fighting. The practice of a form is a centering of the self. It keeps your mind in check. As some have already said, these close combat techniques are taught to the earliest students in a lot of schools, I think it would be wise to reassess who is actually missing the point. After reading Captain Chris' site I was disappointed with the amount of fear-based RAGE that drove his argument. His dismissal of "martial arts" as simply flashy was truly unsatisfying.

I am no fighter, I've never truly been involved with martial arts. What I will say is that there is a calmness and kindness about the masters that I have known and meditated with. Truly capable of murder, but not confident because of their protection, these people had found a spiritual and physical balance through the art of their choice. This mindset makes them sound enforcers of their own personal justice. What Captain Chris is creating is the exact evil he swears so righteously to defend against. He is creating a population of people who overstep their own bounds... who will inevitably desire a fight... who will constantly seek self-validation. He is creating the mindset of fear and paranoia that will turn his subjects into satisfactory examples of self-defense as well as perfect stereotypes of what it means to have false control. The goal is to remove the violence altogether, this should be reminded even in simple defense tutorials.

It has been stated before that the DVD's contain useful data, and this may be true, but be careful of people like Captain Chris, who have useful data but suffer from a perverted sense of control that acts as a filter and taints the usefulness so that it has bitterness, resentment and rage.

Everything needs to happen instantly now, but we've already admitted that to change people will take a long time. Take Chris' information at a face value. Defend yourself. You deserve that. But when you have properly defended yourself and Chris has taught you to depend on your animal instinct to decide on your next move, he has no clue what to do next. He is lost. He is like an animal. He has no knowledge of the brilliance and beauty of the world.

For some this is perfect, all some have ever wanted is a reason to fight. For the rest of the population, seek more.

Jack Bauer Dec 19, 2009

You will know how to weakly defend yourself after just a weekend of watching. This is not practice. This is theory. Go to a good dojo and learn. Muay Thai or Karate, as long as the teacher is good you don't need these home order assassin dvds.

• We
    [email protected] Jan 24, 2010

guys stop complainng about chris...coz he never hides anything ffom hes course, and hes a honest guy, not like some of you who teaches self defence who is not honest wit there student, hidalling their secret...am i rihgt or wrong here, stop complaining coz you have read all the instructions before purcharsing your product from him...stop being a, and you dont give back chris what you have already study in the manual and try to claim your money back..dont be cheater please...and chris is honest wit his stuff...

• Dh
    D Hickey Jan 25, 2010

Ok guys, i have a solution to you getting charged for anything, an email address, send an email, tell them what you want, and they will fix all your problems for you.

[email protected]

Get the videos, dont get the videos it is your choice now, use the email address, and you can stop your problems ok.

Personally I know pretty much all of what was in the videos, and more. Some things I hadn't considered.
    I know that Cap know his stuff, and it wouldn't hurt you to have his videos in your martial arts/self defence library.
    Caps stuff does not replace anything, it adds to it, and can make you aware if you are open minded enough to realise that some traditional, and sports applications wont save you against a knowledgeable assailant.
    Yes you may get away with it most times, but you get older, weaker, and slower with age. Then it is the techniques, if you choose to accept them that will keep you alive.
    I am around the same age as Cap, and i can tell you, just because you think you are good, doesn't make it so. Life isn't about competition, its about survival. Remember, there is alway someone better, ALWAYS.
    Anyway, if you are open to learning, even a baby has stuff to teach you, study a babys defence mechanism one day, see what happens :)
    Use the email address and stop whinging ay.

• Is
    ISEIPHUYOU Feb 06, 2010

Oh WAHHH! I got scammed by a cheesy used rehashed martial arts instructor!!!
    What does your gut tell you about this operator when you read his website..
    Drama, urgency, all knowingness. Vague references, hype?
    Use common your common sense or lacking that get a second opinion.
    His marketing is amateurish his DVD production is amateurish its content Is pop fluff.
    Sure take someone who knows nothing add Capt Cris and you have someone who will:
    1. Know more than enough to survive his opponent or
    2. Know not enough to survive his opponent.
    Either way the person is learning something and it may inspire them to continue learning. Something like real martial arts or a combat system.
    This is the beginning of discerning.
    Budweiser or Guinness the are both beer.
    Which is the better? Its in the eye of the beholder.
    So stop crying contact them get your $$ back if you able and then find another teacher
    your already a student. And Capt Chris has taught you something.

Johnno Feb 10, 2010

I respect the comments from the martial artists here - whatever particular style they espouse. C. Chris does not really make any outlandish promises. But remember this ... his videos are not really pitched at you graded martial artists. They're for the average bloke who finds himself unwittingly in a dangerous situation and provides a few basic (potentially deadly) moves - enough for him to knock the other guy enough to get the hell out of there. Sure it's not UFC stuff enough to go 10 rounds but for ordinary folk its better than nothing. I don't think it pretends to be anything else does it?

The secrecy hype is just typical American sales pitch - take it with a grain of salt. As for the supplements, well I haven't tried them and these guys rely on most people not going to the effort to cancel their orders. Amway or any pyramid selling system does exactly the same.

• I'm a tall skinny guy that took karate when I was in elementary school. My girlfriend could probably win in a fight against me. However, Cap. Chris's ad as cheesy as it sounds spoke to me. I also think that it makes sense that this guy uses shady marketing tactics and outlandish promises; he didn't go to Miami Ad School, he is some old lunatic expert in combat. This guy probably got bored from teaching people like the military and realized he could appeal to PRETTY MUCH ALL OF AMERICA by promising that guys like me can do simple, effective techniques and cuss and use violent imagery to get his point across. I have met guys like this. I have seen sites that promise half-truths, but this guy just goes all the way; the longer you read his site, the more unbelievable it gets. Never before have I seen that done; it's like talking to some old man that sells fireworks by the side of the road and although he just told you some ridiculous story, your gut actually tells you that he's crazy enough for it to be true.

I haven't heard a single so called "expert, " negate the techniques covered in his videos. Yeah, I'm sure the videos have laughable production quality; he didn't hire the Coen Brothers to shoot it, he's charging vitamins to your card that you didn't think you signed up for. He is not above charging thousands of dollars for combat lessons, so he is not above making tons of extra cash from you cause you didn't read the fine print. However as skeptical as you may be, I bet there is some move he teaches on his dvd that really can break a guys finger off, and I bet that someone somewhere has done that effectively.

All of the guys that have posted on here that have martial arts training I believe have some sort of hidden jealousy for simple combat methods that just about anyone can do that can be more effective than some of the training they have spent years perfecting. It's like that infomercial you see with the guitar Esteban sells for like a hundred dollars. Musicians like myself laugh at it because it's really cheesy and appeals to grandmas looking to get a christmas present for the grandkids. But I have actually seen this guitar myself, and for a hundred dollars, it's of much better quality than I had envisioned and I have heard guitars that sound worse and are 10 times as expensive. And surprisingly, Esteban plays it, and it sounds good and smokes the ### out of the people watching. Why would Esteban go on TV dressed in his stupid black outfit and make a fool of himself selling a $99 guitar to all of us suckers? Because he is a little bit crazy, he doesn't care what you think about his outfit, and in some way he takes pride in selling some average guitar to amateurs cause he has already done enough in his life including kicking ### at playing guitar. This Captain Chris guy is just like Esteban, except instead of just kicking ### at guitar, he'll just kick your ###.

sabobobo Feb 18, 2010

Thanks to all of you for your opinions about "Captain Chris", you've saved me $ and disappointment. First, the "Captain's" deceptions indicate a lack of honor and integrity, big red flag. Second, advanced martial artists always condense their techniques, losing the "flash" as they move into the upper skill levels, so this training is for beginners. Lastly, this is an irresponsible man in many ways. A beginner fights only long enough until the opportunity of escape presents itself, killing or maiming should not be indiscriminate or the main goal. I have used my skills only twice in 30 years and in both cases to wake them up, leaving both idiots unharmed. Confidence, awareness, lack of fear and diplomacy normally do the trick. Dangerous skills should not be taught to undisciplined minds. If you are a beginner, find a good school of "martial arts" and talk to the instructor about your immediate concerns for self-defense. Most instructors teach an accelerated class, for an additional price, but stick around for the rest. Your fitness will improve tremendously and you will conquer your real enemy, "The fear within". Sabo

• Ve
    veraite Mar 17, 2010

Well there seem to a lot of veiled Capt Chris sychophants on here.

Please give us a detailed viewing of a comparion and contrast between his material and the leaders in this field.

And all of your Red Herrings don't change the fact about the forced continuity. Or did you forget about that because you couldn't deny it?

Darryls007 Mar 24, 2010

If you think Captain Chris is a phoney, you are right. If you think Captain Chris is the real deal, you are right. It is called perception and know that all the ones who have studied his material and learned and believe in it will not be found on a complaint forum.

Do you think one who has spent all his life learning the ancient martial art systems is going to hail and applaud a new system, if you do, you are badly mistaken. It is called ego and ego will stand in the way of change and progress even if for the better because you first have to be open minded enough to see it for what it is, not what your ego force feeds you to think. Can anyone spell hard headed?

The man has a money back guarantee that even from the complainers we hear he honors his word, so you will never know how good a swimmer you could have been if you are afraid to get in the water.

Kung Fu saying:

It is better to avoid than to check
    It is better to check than to hurt
    It is better to hurt than to maim
    It is better to maim than to kill as all life is precious and none can ever be replaced.

Now go in peace.

Darryl Kent Springston

James Mac Mar 31, 2010

A very interesting thread, every post is worth reading. Unlike many who've posted here, I am not a martial artist. I did study some Tang Soo Tao (Tang Soo Do) years ago under Kriton Glenn, who studied under Master Robert Caputo, who studied under Grandmaster Andy Ah Po, who studied under Grandmaster Hwang Kee. Just to be clear, I did not attain 1st dan. I did have the once-in-a-lifetime privilege of studying under Grandmaster Andy Ah Po in a three day workshop when he visited our school in Australia. An extraordinary learning experience from a man worthy of the title in every sense. Also under Mr Glenn I studied some Pressure Point Control Tactics, an American riot-control system designed to shock opponents into a different frame of mind without injuring them and not requiring much finesse. Mr Glenn mentioned research into long term memory showing that a new technique should be assimilated within 17 seconds of first exposure, or it will not be remembered under pressure. (But you still need to practice constantly.) I was also introduced to some crude and rather non-negotiable knife techniques in the Army (apparently the full close combat course is for selected Army personnel only, having a rather high injury dropout rate). I also read Robert Caputo's memoir which discussed in detail, among other things, the problem that the search for a great martial art system is only half the search; the challenge remains to transmit knowledge effectively to the next generation. And I met many martial artists who loved sharing their knowledge and offered many insights. So in summary, I'm no Chuck Norris, but I know enough to know what I don't know, and to tell the difference between crap and the real thing. And there are several persons posting on this thread who clearly know what they are talking about.

So, upon listening to the sales spiel of "Captain Chris" I can appreciate that a lot of what he says is true: for most people, finesse becomes inaccessible when adrenalin takes over, and only instinctive body movements will be useful. That's why serious martial artists practice their fundamental techniques many times a day for years and years, until they become instinctive. Just like serious dancers and musicians. It looks boring to anyone who hasn't tried that sort of discipline, but actually it isn't boring at all, it's sublime.

But the red flags are many. The barrage of warnings like "Don't buy this if you want to be a wimp, don't buy this if you don't want to be the best, " etc, etc. He claims you will basically become superman after watching his video and aping the movements once through. Gangstahs will step aside for you in the street. This is the sales routine of a sleazebag ... but he's good, he mixes in a lot of truth with the ### about teaching you to take down Goliath with your little finger, and about him being entrusted with the combat secrets that saved the free world from the Nazis. Which he's now offering to you for a special price before his lawyers make the next edition "wimpier" to pass classification laws.

By the way, one other thing I learned from observing martial art people. There are many poseurs. Those who go on about "ego", and their own lack of it, are wankers hiding behind pseudo-mystical mumbo jumbo. One example was an instructor who would tell students what to do but would not demonstrate the techniques, claiming that doing demonstrations was "all about ego". His students learned nothing.

And by the way, in the sales pitch that I saw, "Captain Chris" made the point at great length that he does not offer "chicanery" such as a money-back guarantee: "No, no, and hell no!" However, Australia has a statutory cooling-off period for all mail-order and online-order purchases, so if "Captain Chris" sells to someone down under, he does not have a choice, he has to offer a money-back guarantee. Vendors within Australia always offer this like it's a big deal, but it's just a statutory requirement.

• Ri
    Rickythewiz Apr 03, 2010

You don't need to be able to defend yourself if you are never in danger. The brain is a survival tool. If you learn to think well and respect your own mind enough to listen to it you won't ever be anywhere where there is danger. Nor will you have accidents or experience any diffiulties you can't overcome because you will have logically deduced the inveitable occurrence of anything coming up. You don't need self defence if you know how and when to avoid danger and you don't need to be psychic to predict what is going to happen next if you learn to think. There is also the matter of being a listener and an observer. We've outgrown fight or flight and become much more powerful than animals. You don't have to react quickly to anything if you know it is going to happen. Just use your best self defence weapon, your brain, and you'll be somewhere safe when bad things happen. Good thinking means being able to predict what is going to happen. By thinking I don't mean low level narrative in the brain or grand master chess calculating. I just mean a plain and simple predisposition to take in information from around you, build a picture of possible outcomes and use inductive reasoning to come to the most obvious outcome. If you do have to fight then use a weapon, which you would naturally have predicted needing, and not in a defensive mode. Attack the obvious threat before it becomes a threat and cold bloodedly annihilate it, like you knew you'd have to before you left the house. It really is that simple. Always be an actor, not a reactor and you won't even experience fight or flight, which frankly you should have out evolved by now. Good reading on this matter is 'why zebras don't get ulcers', the physiology of stress. Your higher order thinking should make your brain the ultimate survival tool. Well it's just an opinion, for what it's worth. Rickthewiz UK.

• Ji
    Jim345 Apr 09, 2010

If you buy a course online and learn something you didn't know before, then it can't be said to be a scam since you have gained from the experience. Now whether or not you think the value of what you learned is worth the amount you have paid to learn it is open to endless debate since most of us may never be in a situation to need what we have learned. If ten years later a technique you learned saves you in an attack, then what you have learned is priceless.

If you sign up for something you didn't understand and get recurrent charges for something you didn't really want then you only have yourself to blame for not fully reading and understanding what you are signing up for. Yes I have been in a hurry and not read every part of a few things I signed up for online in the past and found out there were details that caused additional charges but it was my own fault for not reading the fine print. Many of us put too much value on instant processes rather than full understanding of what we are doing and leave ourselves open to agreeing to things we don't want. If you find yourself in this position just take the actions necessary to remedy the situation rather than complaining that you got scammed by not reading the fine print and understanding what you were doing.

Now as for the techniques he is offering on his DVD's, they are useful to know about and to learn but as with learning anything it takes time and effort on your part to learn something new, especially when it requires the actions of muscle memory. The awareness of the techniques he is offering is a starting point. Following through with him on a second viewing is a great next step, but don't be so naive as to think it will make you an instant expert because you as well as me know that it is only the beginning of learning something new. Now if you are some kind of savant you may indeed have the ability to watch something and learn it to an expert level the first or second time through but be real.

Rickthewiz, I am happy for you that you live in such a bubble and idealized world that you can predict and plan for every event that you may ever encounter in life, but the rest of us live in the real world and no amount of preplanning can insulate us from the randomness of other peoples actions. In the real world we are always in danger and most of the time we never even realize it since nothing negative comes to pass. No need to be fatalistic about it but realistically you can never protect yourself from someone sufficiently motivated to do you harm whether preplanned or random. Learning these techniques, practicing and mastering them may in fact give you a better chance of a positive outcome for you or your family if you are faced with a life or death situation but...

Gary R Apr 11, 2010

WOW,
    I got the course and cancelled the vitamins so didn't lose anything. I have done Shotokan karate and judo for years as a young man.
    I was in the Police for 28 years and probably had around 1, 500 fights mainly one on one and quite a few against multiple opponents.
    Although I have been injured several times I have never lost a fight.
    I am not bragging but I feel I have been very lucky.
    I have to say the never in my whole career did I use judo or karate in my self defence because I just couldn't concentrate at the time of the attack however I used some of the gross motor techniques taught by Capt Chris, not that I knew them but because I recognise them in his course as things I used to do instinctively.
    I would say that this method is simple and can be used by anybody regardless of their ability and strength.
    Other simple truths are,
    A man cannot fight if he cannot see.
    A man cannot attack if he is being constantly attacked.
    Never stop fighting until a man cannot get up.
    Never trust a man who says he has had enough.
    There are many more but give someone else a chance.
    Good luck
    Gary R

• Mh
    mharris Apr 11, 2010

Captain Chris and all of his alias can be found frequently on the [redacted].

Very dishonest businessman.

He sells you his video program and then in the small print he requires you to opt out of the vitamin supplements he charges your account for.

I took him to arbitration at the BBB and got most of my money back as the BBB said yes it was in the fine print, yet it wasn't done in an honorable way proportionate to the revenue he got from the customer.

So, if taken by captain chis' scam, don't take it and fight back and take him to arbitration through the BBB and get most of your money back.

Take up his time a resources defending himself so it's not profitable for this scam artist to continue to rip people off and give online retailers a bad name.

Oh, and his videos are a joke.

• Ze
    zethabrittany Jun 12, 2010

Hello. I was wondering if there are any good Shorinji kempo or dim mak books or videos out there. If so, please email me at [email protected] with links to the places to buy them please ^^ thanks!

• Kn
    knightperson Jun 22, 2010

I came here before buying anything, and I'm fairly glad I did. I had a feeling that I didn't want to buy what he was selling, and the junk about vitamin subscriptions confirmed it. Since other martial arts students here have quoted their credentials, I will do the same. I earned a deputy black belt in Tae Kwon Do from Sun Hwan Chung who formed his own variant of the style from his master black belts in TKD, Tang Soo Do, and Hap Ki Do. I currently study San Yun Do with Chuck Pippin at Innovative Martial Arts (hey, not ALL excellent, practical martial artists are wise, old Asian guys who trace their lineage back through the mists of time). SYD takes much of its self defense from Hock Hocheim's Scientific Fighting Congress, but mixes in the techniques from Hap Ki Do, Tai Chi, many versions of Silat, and anything else that has a good trick where we can file off the serial numbers and claim it as our own.

If you're looking for martial arts training, look for a real instructor. You might learn fitness and self-confidence starting from scratch by watching some videos, but you will need actual in-person instruction to learn self defense. Fitness and self-confidence without actual, applicable, useful techniques can actually put you in more danger than no training in a self defense situation. Only a trainer (instructor or training partner) can show you why what you're doing is wrong or why it won't work. Also, look for a school that does NOT discourage external instruction. Anyone who claims to have the "one true way" is either deluded, a liar, or scared of competition. Our school encourages students to check out other places (knowing that most of them will be back) or to attend seminars and bring back new tricks. The important difference between schools (my opinion) is the approach, not the style. The good self-defense ones are interested in furthering the art and teaching as much as possible, while others train for sport and fitness (which is OK if that's all you want) or are nothing more than a money-earning franchise. These questions are far more important than what style of art is taught.

Now, my criticism aside, from reading other comments it looks like there is some small value in Captain Chris's stuff, just not nearly enough to justify the vitamin scam. It's true that in a life-and-death situation the simpler moves are better. There is no way to send the muscle memory directly to your subconscious, though. You only get muscle memory by doing it correctly over and over again. A favorite quote of mine is "in a crisis situation, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, you will fall to the level of your training." The principle of teaching the easiest, most effective stuff for self defense is a good one, and the Scientific Fighting Congress seminars do that. If you live in the US near a reasonably big city, keep an eye out for one of Hock's seminars. They are usually attended by other martial artists looking for a few more tools for the tool belt, but his program is designed to give even a beginner something useful that they can walk away with after a single session. Look him up at hockscqc.com. For the record, I have no connection to Hock beyond an email subscription and attendance at a couple of his seminars years ago. Also for the record, Hock's videos are not spectacular production quality either, but the techniques and the instruction in them are good.

• Ny
    nYdGeo Jul 12, 2010

Rickthewiz, I'm not sure what planet you live on that beings are so perfect that their judgment is never without flaw, and where nothing occurs that is either unanticipated or beyond one's control, but its certainly not Earth. It must kind of suck to live where absolutely everything is completely predictable and there are no surprises. As for myself, I'll take life on Earth with all of its flaws, including the inherent risks and dangers.

What you write has merit right up until you foolishly start adding absolutes. To even hint that anyone anywhere can 'never' anything is simply and completely unrealistic.

Moving in another direction, it is of note that only about half of the people posting here have actually ever even seen the materials in question, myself included. I'd also like to thank you few voices of reason that didn't take the producer's claims, distort them beyond reality, and then pointlessly belittle the product based on unrealistic arguments, etc. I think that for at least some average, everyday people, this product likely does give them some good, usable tools that average, everyday can use.

Nowhere in his promotional materials does he claim that this basic course makes you a master, bullet-proof, unstoppable, or unbeatable. But if a few good pieces of information help one understand a situation and help them become better prepared to handle such a situation, I cannot possibly believe that this is a bad thing.

My final thought is simply this. If Chris is not making it very clear that you will be subscribed to his supplement service, and it is not both easy and obvious to decline, while I don't believe that this makes his instructional materials bad, he has nonetheless lost any possibility of a sale here as I simply refuse to do business with anyone that feels that this is an acceptable way to do business.

• Lo
    Logikally Oct 01, 2010

I had the privilege of having our family trained by the esteemed Master Moo Kim - the finest and most remarkable man I've ever known [& the youngest man ever to win the 12th degree Korean Black Belt .] He was blindingly fast even as he got older - though he seemed timeless.

Master Kim's 1st rule was to teach the meaning of the words 'martial arts'. This was the 1st lesson taught to every new student. He repeated it often: It means 'the not-fighting'. Every student and master under Master Kim understood what breaking Rule#1 would bring - to use one's martial arts for personal gain, to hurt or maim or for any reason other than to save oneself could result in his stripping away hard-earned belts.

My husband is both visually speech & hearing handicapped, plus he started his martial arts at age 44 - none of which meant a thing to Master Kim. Amazingly gentle for a man who could still snatch knives out of the air at age 65 without losing his wonderful smile. Master Kim recently sold his beloved dojo when he became an ordained Christian ministerr & he left to become a missionary to troubled Korean youth.

My husband had to go on long international trips fairly often, which really set him back on his training. Master Kim never let him give up - he made sure he had materials to study from and often worked personally with my dear one devising special techniques to overcome his handicaps so he could earn his black belt. The day my hubby finished testing Master Kim personally wound & tied on the black belt, then he hugged him tight.

He held up his hand for silence. 'I want all you to see this man." he said quietly. 'God did not give him body of athlete. God did not give him good sight. He cannot learn quick like some but he come here every day he come home from travels to work on his forms. He takes his (korean word for the fighting clothes) everywhere he goes. Since he came many of you have come, stayed for a year or two and then you leave. Few get to black belt. No, God did not give him body of athlete but he has the heart of a lion. Learn from him!"

Nobody learns 'commando martial arts' in a weekend. Nobody. You must repeat moves over and over until they become automatic. Tai Kwon Do has saved my life, my husband's and my son's several times over. Once it was a car speeding through a burger parking lot- GK never gave it a thought, just did a shoulder roll flip over the hood & never spilled a drop of his Pepsi. Scared the hell out of the driver, too who thought he'd killed him.

My husband saved me from a man who was stalking me at a state park. He'd been with the boys at the swimming area and suddenly he was there behind me - and for the first time ever gave me an order "Grab the dog and get behind me..now!" He looked at the man (hubby is 5'6") and told him the rangers were coming. If he moved an inch he quietly said he would break something - for fun. The man looked at him, shrugged and sat down on the ground. The rangers arrived: the guy was wanted for accosting women in the park for over 2 yrs.

That kind of self assurance you don't get from cheesy DVDs. You don't get it with hidden charges that suck fees out of unsuspecting rubes. A true martial artist never reveals his skills til they're needed. There is no such thing as 'my hands are registered weapons' crap. There are only true martial artists who practice every single moment they can. Men like Jackie Chan who started at age 5, Jet Li and the immortal Bruce Lee - who lived, ate and breathed martial arts. It is spiritual, it is uplifting, it's a way of life. One finds peace and wholeness when one finds their way through anger, hate, violence and negative vibes until you break through into an inner spirit and peace you never knew existed.

Captain Chris with his ever-circling website that locks you into an everlasting loop that no matter what you click ends up on the same pages to sell these videos and the monthly fee for 'the champion foods' the champion this or the champion that - until you figure out the scam. Just try to get your money back. Good luck. I've read about this scam on a dozen sites on the web and I haven't heard any compliments on any of them. You gotta read those TOS VERY carefully - there are like 4 0r 5 of them you can barely see the links to. You give up ALL legal rights to sue, join class actions, report to Attorneys General, take them to court, etc etc.etc You have the right to remain silent and pay...and pay...and pay. The're honest in 1 thing: they do warn you up front they have ways to track your IP address, credit info etc - but it's all buried in the hype and lots of cookies etc.

Wanna learn to protect yourself. Do it right. Join a studio in the art of choice

• In
    IntraFractal Dec 16, 2010

I think sabobobo has condensed the entire argument down to one simple statement, and I quote: "Dangerous skills should not be taught to undisciplined minds." Yeah, when I was a kid I picked up some moves that actually worked - in some situations. I picked up the moves in bits and pieces from various sources: my father, books, military men, wrestling coaches, judo instructors, &etc. What I did not pick up from these scattered sources was mental discipline, focus, self-confidence, and persistence. It's taken years of study in the martial arts dojo to get those benefits. Another thing, as a teenager I once used my childhood street fighting skills to take down a marine, but if he had come back at me, instead of backing off, I probably would have been killed. One thing I've noticed: the teaching of real life self defense moves and ground fighting technique has generally shown improvement over the years. The first Taekwondo dojo I attended, many years ago, taught the old, static repetition of basic techniques and forms more akin to Japanese Karate than traditional Korean forms. The dojo I now attend teaches the dynamic Songahm forms, and Krav Maga. The instructor always covers several new self-defense topics each testing cycle. I personally prefer to have a live human being teaching me, rather than learning from a DVD or book. One of the great, intangible benefits of attending a dojo, I think, has a great deal to do with learning to interact with other human beings and with the building of lifelong friendships and relationships. Oh, and, yes, in the self defense portion of the curriculum at my dojo, they do teach breaking of fingers (and many other techniques) if necessary to get free of an attacher in a life-death situation.

• Wa
    WaryOne Jan 13, 2011

I ordered the Close Combat discs and when I called in and said one of them was defective, their Customer Service responded efficiently. So I have no complaints re my own experience. As for the instruction, it's like one of the above posts says, it's about the idea of how to proceed. You'd still have to practice Chris's techniques for them to be reflexive. But what helps a lot is his continual exhortation to keep one's arms and hands ABOVE the probable striking position of the opponent's. It makes sense; but as we all know, in a real altercation, rationality goes out the window. So this one piece of knowledge alone is a significant contribution to self-defense awareness. (I think. I haven't been in a fight for years. literally. That's why I want to learn self-defense now, because as an oldster I'm more vulnerable in this often mean world.)

• Wi
    WillyNelly Jan 15, 2011

After coming across close combat training by accident, I watched the video and listened to it several times. I was considering ordering the tapes. However having trained in Tang Soo Do for numerous years something just did not ring true. I did some research on Captain Ron and I cannot in good faith order anything from this man. He presents himself as a martial artist of many years training yet he obviously did not learn the principles taught in so many martial arts schools and that is Justice, Truth and Sincerity. If he has not learned that he has not learned anything.

• Lu
    LuArEs Feb 08, 2011

Hahahaha I [censor] myself too with the stupid "wait" thing... I think its another scam, it has scam written all over and frankly there are 2 dojo´s near my house with 4 different diciplines each, so imma gonna get a learning to kick some [censor]... hiiiiya!!

garnett hamlin Jan 14, 2012

I ordered a dvd for 2 payments of $47.00, then I looked at my bank account and he charged me ANOTHER $297.00 without my approval !! If this ba$%tard doesnt refund my money like I asked five times, I'll just go to my bank and dispute the charges, it works try it. G.H

garnett hamlin Jan 14, 2012

I only ordered 1 dvd from CloseCombatTraining, at 2 payments of $47.00, then I checked my bank account and this ba$tard charged me another $297.00 without my approval. WHAT A SCAM. GH

Dale Biskup Dec 13, 2012

This outfit, close combat training, billed me on credit card $49 + $10 shipping. I received the material and madea payment on my card.
    This month I again was charged 49 dollars.
    I have contacted the card company to report it.
    I expect this over charging me to stop. No product is worth this hassel.