Top Dog Bloodhoundsunpapered puppy

S Review updated:

I am sad to say that, like many americans looking for a 'best friend', I was taken advantage of by a dog breeder. I was looking for a companion for my bloodhound bloo, in hopes that one day, I would be able to begin my dream, as a dog breeder and rescuer! All of my dogs in the past have been rescues, with the exception of my current two bloo and our girl daisy. The only reason I did not look for rescues this time was because I knew I wanted to breed them.

When bloo was 8 months old, I found top dog bloodhounds, and there I came in contact with tammie christopher, owner. She said she had a good match for bloo and i. She was asking the same price that I paid for bloo. Within a couple of short days, my christmas gift daisy, showed up at the airport. The transfer went very easy. Tammie was helpful and easy to work with... Until... I noticed she sent no paperwork with her (which we already discussed once!), except the vets very vague printout. I called her to let her know that I needed her akc application. Tammie told me she would handle it, and it takes two weeks to recieve the paperwork after she files it. I asked her to file it right away, so that there was no delay. She said she wanted to wait to make sure we keep her name as daisy, although we knew from the start what her name would be. I waited for the paperwork, assuming she filed it as she said she would. Tammie grew more and more difficult to get in contact with. After about a month, I emailed and let her know I have not yet recieved anything regarding daisy's registration. She did not repond. I sent her a total of three emails and no response to those, or any of my phone calls.

Finally today, over 7 months later, I called her from my house, I was able to talk to her. She told me that she will not provide me with any paperwork until daisy is spayed. This was news to me.in all of the dialogue that tammie and I had, she never mentioned this! She said that there is a contract on her website stating so. Well, I had no contract, nothing with my signature that says I would spay my dog! She also told me, as she was yelling at me on the phone, she never even registered that particular litter. So even if I spayed her, she still can't be registered!!!

Tammie flat out lied to me! I adore daisy and the bottom line is that papers don't change the fact that she is part of my family, but this dog is supposed to be the beginning of my lifelong dream. If I wanted a spayed dog, I would have rescued one that really needed a home. I agree with pet population control 100%, except when you are talking about people who want to responsibily and intimately breed, raise, and provide puppies to good loving homes! Tammie christopher of top dog bloodhounds treated me so rudely once she had my money, she has awful business skills, and even worse people skills.

• T
      Jun 21, 2009

As the Breeder of this litter I reserve the right to withold any AKC papers as I seen fit. With the Paypal Invoice it stated no breeding rights and the purchase price was $300.00
    As a Show breeder and home of several AKC show Champions no breeder in there right mind would allow one of there bloodlines out for that price to be bred to what ever someone chooses to breed it with. A standard policy of most breeders is co -owner ship and or contract for full AKC.
    My full AKC is $1, 200.00 with full papers not $300.00.
    She purchased this dog as a pet and decided 8 months later she wants to breed her. This litter is pet quality and I will not allow pet quality dogs to breed and produce AKC registered puppies.
    The pedigree on her male is substandard compaired to the Champion pedigree of the female puppy ###.

• S
      Jun 22, 2009

Throughout our contact back and forth, I have come to realize that not only has Tammie lied about the paperwork, the price paid, but also the health history of my dog. Tammie has failed to produce the 'spay contract' she speaks of.

As Tammie knows, it was my intention from the beginning, that I was going to breed bloodhounds. Which is why I already had a male. I find it quite interesting that she would say my male has substandard pedigree, she has never met nor seen my dog! I also find it saddening that she continues to assume I am breeding my puppy, who is less than a year old! Any responsible person knows you wait until they are at LEAST two!

In my opinion, Tammie's business etiquette is not the worst part. The disregard for an animal that she can't breed is what breaks my heart. This is Tammie's own words in an email regarding Daisy's Mom, "I had the mother to your puppy put down after I found out this litter was a DEMODEX MANGE carrier." This is what becomes of a dog who can't produce 'quality pups'? In my opinion, they are all quality, it often the humans who don't measure up.

I promise to post if Tammie ever produces the spay contract, to retract comments. But I know it will never show up, because I've not seen one!

Aug 21, 2009

As a dog fancier I know that when you purchase a show or breeding prospect with the intention of free & clear registration and full rights to your PROSPECT it will cost more than double what a LTD reg will be. A spay contract is the agreement you sign onto that when you adopt a pet with a LTD reg you agree to spay or neuter the dog.A contract is merely a meeting of the minds.When you buy a show or breeding prospect it is just that.You don`t know for maybe 6 months to 2 years if that animal will fulfill your hopes & expectations.I have changed my mind on occasion as to the purpose that a dog of my former high hopes would fulfill.It can be a heartbreak but we move on to do the best we can. AS to the condition of Demedek mange, The dog is better off put to sleep than to suffer with this condition, And it is genetic. I would be tickled to have a breeder offer and stand behind a replacement puppy., I know people fall in love with their baby but it is much better to get a fresh start with a healthy baby and not subject an animal to a life of being a cash cow for a vet.This form of Mange is NOT curable.

• S
      Dec 17, 2009

Bonnie... you obviously have no idea what you are talking about in regards to Mange. I work at the humane society and see many dogs living happy lives while being treated for mange. After a few treatments, it is usually gone. Sure they are always a 'carrier' but it is 100% manageable. Next time you get sick, why don't you go provide yourself the same 'humane' treatment you are reccomending for these dogs!

Mar 02, 2010

I will never do business with Tammie of Top Dog Kennel in Waldron Arkansas. If you saw her place you'd gasp. They have over 60 dogs that are just lined up in dog run after dog run. At one point she had over 56 puppies at one time. Puppies are hard work, I couldnt imagine taking care of that many dogs at one time. They obviously couldnt get the kind of socialization a beloved family pet would. I have a dear friend that fell for her and got a puppy from her that was very "skittish" and you could tell hadnt been handled everyday like Tammie had said. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH TOP DOG KENNEL NOR ANY ONE NAMED TAMMIE CHRISTOPHER OR WINKLER IN ARKANSAS.

Sep 05, 2010

I witnessed this breeder at the airport 1st hand.
    She was shipping large breed pups Internationally in crates that were 2 sizes too small.
    These pups were going on long flights.
    When the man at Continental Airlines said something to her she became very defensive to him and rude.
    There were about 6 other breeders that witnessed this.
    Very sad for these pups.
    I hated to see her loading and unloading the pups also.
    She was so rough with them.
    I would buyer BEWARE from this breeder!

Sep 05, 2010

It wasn't fine with Continental.
    They refused to ship your puppies.
    I think you took home 3 pups the other day.
    2 because the crates were way too small and one because you didn't have your International paperwork ready.

• J
      Sep 27, 2012

What blows my mind is that people keep buying from her !?! WHY >>??? Then everyone sits around and wonders how to shut her down...STOP BUYING FROM HER !!!

Mar 23, 2018

@JustMy2Cents I wish I had seeing the complaints before we bought the dogs from this breeder.. my dog was born with fanconi and she never told us :(

Nov 05, 2012

I have very sadly had an experience with this breeder that is consistent with the conditions reported in Bloohhound4hire. Ms Winkey AKA Tammie Winkler AKA Tammie Chistopher.

Ms Winkley

You will find attached a spay receipt for Prim (formerly Sylvia). The spay procedure was very hard on Prim (they had to operate on her twice) as the vet said she had previously had several litters of puppies. You had indicated to us that she had never been bred. You charged me for a rabies vacine and then provived a vaccination certificate for a "spayed female" See attachment 2. As you know Prim (Sylvia) was not spayed at the time of the transport. It appeared in the vaccination records that you gave us that Prim (Sylvia) had been vaccinated for Rabies in the Spring. As a result of the confusion, conflicting and inaccurate records you provided, we had to get Prim another rabies shot. She is in poor dental health. The Vet said her teeth wear is concistent with a dog who been repeatedly chewing on chain link fences. You indicated that Prim has been in dog shows. It is hard to believe as she seems to be untrained in basic heal leash walking and the poor condition of her teeth. You also indicated that you were picking up a new crate for Prim to be sent in. While servicable, the crate was not new and was filthy on the inside. Prim appears to us to be a highly unsocialized dog. She is timid and cowering. She appears to be a dog who has spent much of her life in a fenced kennel producing puppies.

At best, your representation, records and sale of Prim (Sylvia) to us was inaccurate and deceptive. At worst, your business practices and apparent treatment of Prim represents an appalling breach of professional and ethical conduct. We are very happy to have reclaimed this sweet dog.

• R
      Feb 24, 2013

I am about to possibly buy a puppy from this breeder are you saying she is not a good person, dogs are not treated well, etc??

Mar 23, 2018

@rescuemama I bought a dog and now has Fanconi

• J
      Feb 24, 2013

Yes that is exactly what we are all saying ! Do NOT buy from Top Dog Bloodhounds !!! Go to the American Bloodhound Club site for bnreeder referrals.

• V
      Mar 05, 2013

rescuemama,

I posted a page on this site about the condition of my Bloodhound Belle that I picked up about a year ago from Top Dog Bloodhounds.

DO NOT PURCHASE ANY DOG FROM THIS BREEDER!!! You will be saddled with a sick unsocialized dog that will cost you thousands of dollars in vet bills. Then when you contact her about the dog, you will never hear from her again. It She is in it for the money and nothing else. She lived in Arkansas when I bought my bloodhound last year, it appears that she may have moved to Tennessee.

Feb 08, 2018

This same lady pretty much stole my dog back when she wound up at our local shelter after getting lost. She never even told us she had a chip so we didn't have a chance to change anything. Then when the shelter called the "owner" on the chip, she claimed my dog. Then resold her. Then on top of that posted on facebook that we abused, beat, starved, and dumped my sweet Bell. She isn't owning up to anything and I'm considering taking her to court. I hate to hear that other people have had these problems. I would have NEVER BOUGHT FROM HER had I ever seen these reviews. But I can guarantee, anyone else who thinks about it, I will share the link to this page with.