Thom McAn ShoesDisappointed in the make!

Thom Mcan Shoes from K-Mart.

I purchased a pair of Thom Mcan shoes from my local K-mart last week. This is the first pair of Thom Mcan that I have ever purchased. I wore the shoes two days last week and two or three days this week. I looked at the heel of the shoe today and it is coming apart from the actual shoe. I paid $24.99 for this pair of casual work shoes and did not expect to only be able to wear them a couple of times. I would expect that buying a pair of "off brand" shoes at Payless, but not a pair of Thom Mcan's. I have heard so many positive things about the shoes and how comfortable they are, which I do agree with the comfort, but am disappointed in the make.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Kelly Portzer.

• Ol
    Old person Feb 05, 2020

Are Thom McAn Norber wide men's shoes still bein manufactured? If so, I would like to purchase some.

mbattles146 Jun 12, 2017

just so that folks know the history - and that the Thom McAn they knew before hasn't existed since 1992-
    Thom McAn is a brand of shoes and was formerly a retail chain. It is currently sold in Kmart and Sears stores. It consists of leather dress, casual, and athletic shoes (under its Tm Sport label). Until the 1990s, Thom McAn had hundreds of retail stores in the US, and was one of the oldest and best known shoe retailers in the country. As of late 2008 the brand was now controlled by Sears Brands, LLC.
    History[edit]
    Ward Melville created the Thom McAn brand with J. Franklin McElwain, a New Hampshire shoe manufacturer. The name was inspired by a Scottish golfer named Thomas McCann. The first Thom McAn retail store opened in New York in 1922, selling a few simple styles at a low fixed price. Within five years, 300 stores were open, and by 1939 there were over 650 stores.[1]

In 1952 the Melville Corporation acquired the 151-outlet Miles Shoes chain; by 1955, the company operated 850 stores and 12 factories. In 1960, Melville created Meldisco, which was dedicated to leasing and supplying family shoe departments in self-service discount department stores. By the end of the 1960s, Melville was the largest American shoe retailer, operating 1, 400 stores.[1]

By the 1980s, Melville was still the largest footwear retailer in the U.S., but the company had diversified to add such chains as Chess King, Foxmoor and CVS Pharmacy. It began to phase out six of its seven footwear factories in 1983, and in 1985 it closed 72 Thom McAn outlets. In 1988 it purchased the athletic shoe chain FootAction.[1]

In 1992, Thom McAn was down to 730 outlets, and Melville announced that it would close 350 of them. [2] In 1996, Melville closed the remaining Thom McAn outlets, converting approximately 100 of the locations to the Footaction USA format. As Melville divested its operations in order to focus on CVS, the remaining footwear operations including Meldisco were spun off into a new company, Footstar.[3]

With the closure of the retail outlets, Thom McAn shoes began appearing in Kmart stores, through the footwear departments operated by Meldisco.[4] In 2003, Footstar began selling Thom McAn in 1, 500 Walmart stores.[5]

In 2005, Kmart owner Sears Holdings reached an agreement with Footstar – which by then was in bankruptcy and consisted almost entirely of the Meldisco-operated footwear departments inside Kmart stores – to let Footstar run the shoe departments through 2008, after which Sears would purchase the remaining inventory at book value.[6] In April 2008, Sears Holdings agreed to obtain Footstar's intellectual property as well, including the Thom McAn brand name.[7]
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thom_McAn

mbattles146 Jun 12, 2017

I've worn their leather womens loafers for a number of years with good results however recently found out the leather ones I like are no longer available except in a 'fake leather' upper - I hesitate to buy them for a number of reasons - if you check both your Sears store and Kmart (owned by Sears for a number of years now) many of the Thom McAn shoes are now synthetic - not leather as they use to be - and yes, made in china - many of the original styles are now available on eBay which should tell everyone something - and as of the last month or so Sears stock has been again dropping folk should expect more if not all Sears and Kmart stores closing - think we can say goodbye to a long time brand that truly doesn't exist as it was in the past - sigh

• Fu
    F U May 26, 2017

ALRIGHT DAMIT - HOW IN THE SAM HELL DOES ONE OBTAIN CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE FRICKING ELUSIVE THOM MCAN SHOE COMPANY. I HAVE LOOKED LOOKED AND LOOKED UNTIL I AM MAD AS HELL AND HAVE EVEN CALLED KFART AND SILLY SEARS AND HAVE ASKED FOR THE SAME UNTIL BLUE IN THE F ING FACE - WHAT KIND OF WHAT SOME MIGHT SAY AND OR PROFESS IS THIS WORTHLESS OUTFIT ...THOMIE MCANASSY - IS IT ACTUALLY A BUSINESS - HOW DO THEY CONTINUE TO DO BUSINESS ? DAM I AM PISSED...

mbattles146 Jun 12, 2017

@F U if you check both your Sears store and Kmart (owned by Sears for a number of years now) many of the Thom McAn shoes are now synthetic - not leather as they use to be - and yes, made in china - many of the original styles are now available on eBay which should tell everyone something - and as of the last month or so Sears stock has been again dropping folk should expect more if not all Sears and Kmart stores closing - think we can say goodbye to a long time brand that truly doesn't exist as it was in the past - sigh

• Ap
    A Plus May 16, 2017

I purchased a pair of boat shoes from Sears. Typically, i try and avoid as best able, made in China die to poor quality. Disappointed again. Wore the shoes less than a dozen times, and already coming apart at the soles. Hope the short sighted l'smart' leaders of the company enjoy their short term profits en route to driving another at one time trusted name brand into the ground. Never again.

• Di
    Diane Marcoe Sep 05, 2016

I would like to know if you are still making the Women's Gywn2 Black Leather buckle mocasin wide width size 91/2 or 10 (#01027)?? Please let me know because I love these shoes as I have a significant back problem and they work best for me. When I go onto the Sears and KMart websites it states that these shoes are temporarily out of stock. Thanks Diane Marcoe ([email protected])

• Ka
    kasza Apr 20, 2016

I purchased two pairs of sandals identical one in brown and one in black. I was unable to wear them for longer thatn 45 minutes before my feet swelled up and were hurting from the hard straps pinching my feet I paid $24. each for them and was unable to return them to KMart because I purchased them a while ago, even though I only wore one pair because they hurt my feet too much. They are sitting in the closet now and cannot be worn.

I would like to return them to you for a refund of $48. Here is the information:
    Willa #50077 Brown Size 8
    Willa #(no box) but number should be close to above number..Black Size 8

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you soon
    E. Alba

• My
    Myrna Huber Feb 26, 2016

My grandaughters shoes fell apart, the sole came off completely, the first day she wore them. i am very angry!

• Pa
    Paul Maksym Sep 06, 2015

Recently purchased a pair of Thom McAn men's shoes to wear occasionally whenever I wear shorts. The Description Item # 06737517000P Model # [protected]. Just recently the soles are separating from the shoe. It appears whatever bonding material they are using in China does not have the same similar physical and chemical characteristics as the good ole US type sealant. Really disappointed in the quality of this product. One would think you could get more than one season of wear from a summer shoe.

• Br
    brfrank Nov 19, 2014

I would love to have the manufactures email for Thom McCann. I am very disappointed in shoes that I bought from KMart. The sole on the right shoe has cracked. I continued to wear the shoes because they didnt look too bad. Now... the sole has cracked the entire way and the stiching is coming apart. I do not wear these shoe on a daily basis. They are a comforable work shoe. Extremely disappointed in the shoe especially since I paid over $30 for them. I noticed on KMart online this show is still being sold. The shoes are black and the sole is harder plastic. I do know of another co-worker that bought the same shoes both in black and brown and her shoes are also doing the same thing. This is very sad as I had always liked Thom McCann shoes.

• Mo
    morganfj Nov 12, 2014

I just purchased a pair of Tom McAn sandals with Velcro straps... when I got home with my size 12 (one size larger than my 11 1/2 D- use this when buying sandals other than TomMcAn) the straps will not even come close to crossing over to attach... They are completely unusable.. (Note in Photos, The light brown on opposite is the velcro not the black)

• Ap
    April Conley Jul 20, 2014

I have a pair of Toronto that I got back in April from Kmart for 32.Dollar and wore them maybe once a week .the soul spit apart . and I have a sit down job. they look new .

• To
    Tom Thomas May 25, 2011

Bought Three pair of thom mcan shoes from K-MART In a year.
    They all game apart. Two low cut pair came a part at the side in three mounths.
    One pair the most resent came apart at the heel in one month.
    I think their is something wrong with this picture.

• Lo
    Lorenzo S May 23, 2011

I purchased the men's leather sandals at K-Mart in Woods Cross, Utah. I wore them occasionally for two to three months. The foundation under the heel (innersole) gave way allowing the heel of my foot to sink into the sole of the sandal. The heel says Poron 4, 000 Lifetime Comfort. They are a size 10, with velcro straps around the ankle and two velcro fasteners over the top of the foot, and open toes. Because K-Mart in Victor, N.Y., does not carry these sandals now they have referred me to you for assistance in getting a replacement pair.

• 1j
    1justin Apr 15, 2011

One pair of Thom McCan suede walking shoes I bought five years ago is only starting to wear out now. Every time I've bought Thom McCan shoes I"ve always been been found them to be comfortable and durable.

Justin

• Bl
    Bless101 Apr 06, 2011

I have purchased at least 5 to 6 pairs of mens leather walking shoes
    and I work in these everyday and around dirty conditions and no complaints here. Just looking to buy more.

• Be
    Bennybee Dec 09, 2010

I bought TWO pairs of Thom McAns casual pumps (black and brown) in October - within a month of minimal wear the heals on each of them began to feel odd... as if the shoe was slitting at the arch and the heal would break off. I thought it was just me but the shoes keep getting worse and now they seem dangerous to walk in!
    How can one get their money back on shoes that have been worn??? Seems like a scam, didn't want to pay a lot because as a teacher they can get ruined quickly etc - these seemed ruined from the get go and NOW I need to buy replacements.

DonnaA Aug 29, 2010

I love their shoes. I have gotten rid of all my other brands and only buy these. I have not ever had any problems with them and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. A lot of them feel like I'm wearing slippers. I just purchased a few more pair. So, I guess I'm surprised to hear the complaints as well. They have been great and I've been buying and wearing them for years. I hope K-Mart never stops selling this brand!

• Le
    les newsome Apr 06, 2010

I bought a pair of sneakers and they've held up great...I'm really surprised at the complaints...I think they are great shoes...also have a pair of casual shoes and they are doing great also. Les Newsome., ...louisville, ky.

• De
    DeeDee54 Apr 03, 2010

My husband loves the type you tie, but we are having a hard time finding them anymore. He clames this is
    the only shoes his feet feel comfortable in.

• He
    H elen M. Porras Mar 19, 2010

I also bought two Pairs of your shoes and have had to take them to get repaired. The first time the heels came loose on both the shoes. I bought your [protected], 30017 Womens (Footwear for Today's women) leather, one pair in black and one brown pair ($24.99 each). I was unable to return them because I did not save the receipt, because I never expected anything to happen to them. I did however show them to the manager of Kmart and she adviced me to contact you. The second time the toe of my left shoe came loose. As long as I can remember my father would always buy us your shoes, he would tell us that they were the best shoes on the market. If he were still here he would be disappointed in the way they are now.

Than you,
    Mrs. Helen M. Porras
    El Paso, Texas

• El
    Elliott Olson Feb 27, 2010

I am becoming disappointed in the make too. I found some 4" casual boots I like several years ago at Kmart. When they wore out, I began having trouble finding them in stock WHEN I NEED THEM. One time when I asked the department manager about them, they claimed the shoes were a "seasonal item" and I would have to wait a couple months. Who wears shoes (to school, work, shopping or whatever) only part of the year?

I have noticed some minor changes in the shoes each time, but this last time the changes are unacceptable. First, they have made the shoes waterproof, causing my feet to be WET when I take them off because the shoes can't breathe. Second, they added what I assume is supposed to be breathing strips of felt-like material alongside the lace hole strips. After only 2 weeks one of these strips has ripped wide open, showing that there is no leather to leather stitching at that point.

• Tn
    TNourse Feb 10, 2010

I need to reach Thom McAnn Customer Service, but when I googled I found this site first. SO...here goes.
    I have worn Thom McAnn shoes since I was about 5, I am now 58. Therefore 53 years of loving the product.
    I recently bought 2 pair, Identical shoes, except one black and 1 tan. UPC [protected] 6507/[protected].
    NEVER IN MY LIFE have I had shoes that the soles fell off after a few months...!!!
    As for the one post of having a shoe repair store fix them with proper adhesive, WHY SHOULD I. I deserve my money back and Thom McAnn deserves to lose my business and my families future business.
    CHEAP CHINA SHOE is what they are now.
    I do not want a replacement pair, nor my money back now. Just let them know, their future is short lived with the JUNK product they are selling these days.
    Anyone see the good old THom McAnn Shoe Stores anymore? Probably not, they dont want customers in there screaming at them. K-Mart and thelike will discontinue to carry the product before long, that's why they need to be made aware of these problems, even though it is not their fault.
    Thank you for reading this. Have a good day and good health.

• Hi
    Highlander99 Nov 17, 2009

I've had a couple of pairs of Thom McAn walking shoes here in NZ. These are priced around NZD 80 from Number One Shoe Warehouse.

The first pair survived very hard use for three years which is outstanding for my shoes (most last less than 9 months). They were very comfortable. I'm on my second pair now and these are proving to be just as good as the first.

I hope they are still available when my second pair eventually wears out.

• La
    LA Consumer Oct 26, 2009

I recently purchased a Thom McAn clog-style shoes. Wore them 3 times then they started to squeak ! It is quite annoying. Does anyone have a remedy to stop the squeak .

donna burden Jul 19, 2009

I have NO complaint but can find NO other web-site to get a question asked...am NOT looking for a location to purchase but the manufacturer itself to see if a particular style purchased several years ago is still available...would take any and every color still being made. Donna Burden 35639 S Kelley Dr., Drummond Island, Mi 49726; [protected];
    [email protected]

• Wl
    wlpatte Jul 09, 2009

I have owned 3 pairs of TomMcan shoes, 2 dress pairs and one walking shoe. One pair of the dress shoes I have worn couple days a week for the last 3 years, they are still good. The other pair I have worn about year, the walking pair I have on now and I hate to see them wear out, Ive had those about 2 years.
    W.Patterson

• Be
    Betty Blanks Jul 09, 2009

My Husband loves Thom McAn's Velcro cloth shoe & can't find them any where. He did get them at Kmart. Can anyone help. Thanks.
    Betty From Alabama.

docic May 17, 2009

On my 5th pair of same tom mcan love them.

• Ag
    aggreen Mar 27, 2009

***I've been wearing Thom McAn shoes for 60 years and I think they are very good for the price. (Of course, my dress shoes are Dexters.)

• Ro
    Roger C Mar 16, 2009

Herin you will find the reason for your pontification at this site. Do not blame KMart/Sears! They only sell a product that suffers the same disease we are seeing daily; failure of the American Business!

You will be the next to fail... Remember, "Those who throw stones, should not live in glass houses."

I think if you paid $3.50 for a good shoe repair shop to re-glue your soul, maybe your own soul will be atlast - happy!

• Fr
    freet22 Mar 14, 2009

I too have a complaint. The inner lining of my shoes came out after wearing them about 3 times. Has anyone ever been compensated from Tom McAn?

• Sh
    shekut Mar 02, 2009

I have purchased several pair of Thom McCann shoes over the years. They are the most comfortable shoes I can find. I love them. Of course they won't last as long as a $100 pair of shoes but mine have all lasted at least 2 to 3 years. Which I think is pretty good for $25.

• Th
    Theresa Feb 23, 2009

I love their women's loafers! I've had one pair for 5 years and they are still comfortable and supportive. They are not the most esquisite shoes, but if you want a practical comfortable shoe, buy their loafers. I just bought a new pair recently and as soon as I tried them on, I could tell they would be most comfortable and they are very nice looking! I've only found one store that carries the brand, but am actively looking for others. K-mart doesn't carry enough variety for women, but has plenty for men.

• Va
    Vanessa Feb 04, 2009

I purchased a pair of boots with a heel on it from KMart and they began to look old after only a couple of days. Then to my surprise the heel broke away from the bottom of the boot. I paid about $30 for the boots. I had no receipt didn't think I would need it I guess. I went in to the store on 2/4/09 and they gave me a gift card for about 1/2 the price that was ok but I changed my mind took by boots back and bought some glue and polish.

Thom McAn does not stand up to the price nor the name. (Pity) Then I found this website and found others that agree.

How SAD!!!

• Ge
    george myers Dec 02, 2008

I ALSO HAVE HAD BAD LUCK WITH THEIR SHOES THE Shoes are ok but the bottoms are sorry.I have had mine less than ayear and the sole is breaking apart.

• G
    g Nov 29, 2008

I can't believe how awesome these shoes are, so it's a bit surprising to hear negative experiences. I've tried many shoes, some quite expensive (for me, $85-150). I'm under 30, a professional, and diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. My feet have grown 2 sizes over that past year, and the pain I experience in my feet can be very debilitating while walking at work, so I'm always on the hunt for more comfortable and ever-larger shoes. I tried on a pair at K-mart (impulse), and I was blown away. I didn't want to take them off. I've owned them for two weeks, and wear them everyday, including at home since my feet hurt too badly to be barefoot, and they are more comfortable than any slipper/sneaker. The pain in my feet has decreased, my knees feel much better, and I can walk all day and night without joint fatigue. After this crazy holiday shopping rush weekend, I plan to make a trip to Kmart and buy some more before they discontinue. For interested shoppers, I have always had wide/square feet (the RA made them wider) with very high arches which makes even the top of my foot quite higher than the typical shoe mold.

• Mi
    mike Nov 06, 2008

I bought a pair of Thom McCann walking shoes for myself and my son over 4 yrs ago. Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I can walk/stand in them all day long and my feet are just fine.
    Thinking of going to KMart and buying another pair. Hope they haven't changed the style.

• Ka
    Karen Sep 30, 2008

I'm looking for a pair of Thom McAn black slip on sandals, size 6 or 6 1/2. The have two black straps going across the front & are held together by a pewter ring. Anyone know of any for sale? Email me at [email protected]

• Wi
    windstar1975 May 13, 2008

I bought a pair of Tom McAn about two years ago, still wearing them and have had no problems with them. Looking for another pair just like these :-)