Rich KennelsAwful experience

J Review updated:

This Lady sold me a Puppy for $2000.00, as a 'pocket pet' under 8 lbs. This puppy is already 51/2 lbs at 5 months old. I have had other breeders look at her and tell me, I have been deceived, that she will not be a pocket pet. She sells 8 lb puppies for $2000.00 and 9-10 lb puppies for $1000.00, when all of these puppies are really the same size.

I have been trying to resolve this with Mrs Rich, and she chooses which e-mails to respond to and every time I call her I get her answering machine, I know of other people that have had this same problem with her, she sold them a 'pocket pet', charged them a high price and after a few months, the pup is bigger than they expected or paid for. I feel for this price I should be getting a true 'pocket pet' show quality dog, and that is not what she is selling. They said puppy also has a Lot of eye white and a slightly improper bite.

Beware of what you get from her. My advice is if you don't go pick up the puppy, don't buy it!!!

• Ll
    Llissaa May 12, 2020

I bought the best Shih Tzu ever June 2006. Dusty brother of Donovan. He is the most precious, beautiful wonderful little dog in the world. He isn’t a barker, he has a friendly sweet memorable disposition. For I’m the [censored] who thinks pocket puppies is an exact science grow up! Stop posting the same nasty nasty hateful reviews. I certainly hope you didn’t keep the dog and it is raised by a caring person who is a) smart and b) loving not superficial ! The Riches were spot on in describing my adorable little guy.

Comments

• Li
    Lindacl Jan 27, 2020

I purchased two beautiful Shih Tzu puppies from Rich’s Kennels. They have been amazing, beautiful, kind and loving.

We adopted Peaches and Cream and Pebbles Delight and they have given us 14 years of love and devotion.

Peaches died on 1/23/2020 at the age of 14.5 years old. We will never have another peaches and treasure the time we spent with her.

If Rich’s kennels we’re still in business I would buy again from them. We love our Pebbles (sister to Peaches)

Sammyollie Sep 13, 2018

I got 3 of the best dogs ever from Rich Kennels, I wish they were still in business. My 14 year old girl passed away last year from a brain tumor and just lost my 13 year old girl this week. I still have the original boy who is 14 and still in good shape. I got many years of love and friendship from the Richs.

• Ll
    llisa66 Mar 20, 2018

I bought my Shih Tzu puppy from Rich's 12 years ago, I received the most loveable adorable gorgeous puppy in the world, who grew into a happy, spunky beautiful little dog. I for one think pocket puppies are ridiculous, and since there is no "science" for tenny tinny puppies, shame on you for not knowing that, your continual bad reviews show that you are plan and simple mean and quite ignorant on the subject of dogs.

• Ed
    Ed Corbett Apr 17, 2018

@llisa66 It would be nice to get in contact with you concerning your pup. We also bought about the same time. There were 5 in his litter. his birth name was Mighty Mouse but we call him HaiKu. He is nearly 13 years old now and THE most loveable little guy we've ever had in our family. We call him the energizer bunny because he is a little 5 pound 12 year old who keeps up with his 3 year old brothers and at times will out play them. if you happen to see this? Please reply to [email protected] as my wife would love to talk to you to see if maybe you got one of his littermate. Explain who you are in the email she would love to hear from you.

• Li
    Lisa 66 Sep 26, 2020

@Ed Corbett Hi, sadly my beloved Dusty passed away yesterday. I’m heart broken. I was searching to see if Rich’s Kennels are still operating. My Dusty was born 2/25/06, I don’t know if this helps you.

• Sw
    Sweetie Stretanski May 22, 2017

I got Sweetie in 2003 and she served as a therapy dog with me in my spine and pain clinic until 2 weeks ago 05-08-2017. She was my friend, my companion and my dog. She was the best dog ever. June was a helpful breeder and was good to me on the phone after Sweetie arrived. RIP Sweetie Rose Stretanski

• Ca
    catfight1967 Apr 19, 2015

BUYER BEWARE!! I purchased what was suppose to be a Silky Terrier puppy from Rich Kennels in 2003. I asked to see the parents and the woman said she didn't know who his parents were. Then her daughter brought in a female dog and said she was his mother. Anyway, I took the puppy. He was later determined to be part Schnauzer and who knows what else. He had all sorts of health issues and a neurological disorder. He was always mean and bit us a lot, but then he would be a very sweet dog too. We kept the dog his entire life and loved him. He developed seizures around 7 years old, then pancreatitis, and lastly diabetes. I spent thousands of dollars trying to keep this dog healthy, but he lost his battle in March of 2015.
    My point is, these people are inter-breeding dogs and I believe they are also a puppy mill.
    They had all kinds of puppies for sale inside their home when we went there. She was also trying to sell us a Schnauzer pup that looked like some kind of a mix. Just a bad experience all the way around and no dog should have to live with terrible health issues caused by bad breeding because these heartless people just want to make money.

• Ka
    Kathy Tearno May 23, 2014

I purchased my Shih Tzu from Jane ten years ago. She is gorgeous and has been a therapy dog for years. I wouldn't buy from anyone else.

• Gr
    grosslawn Jun 15, 2012

I've bought two pet quality Shih Tzu from Rich Kennels and they are the best dogs I've ever had. They have been in full coat for years, groomed weekly, and they are fabulous. They look like dogs from Westminster, but are big darling live teddy bears. She shipped one of the dogs to Dallas for me, and I picked one up from the kennel in Missouri. The dogs are the light of my life. Don't be so hard on Jane. As far as I'm concerned, I have had 100% success with her.

• Ka
    Katy22 Mar 23, 2010

I agree that it is very strange that two such reports are filed four years apart with two different names on it, with the exact same wording. How truly unbelievable. I don't know any of the people involved, but what ethical person would buy a puppy without going to pick it up, or meeting the breeder, etc?
    This sounds like some sort of personal attack not based on real facts.

• De
    devilsadvocate4education Apr 17, 2009

Well, how odd. First this report was filed in April of 2005 by ELONDA on [redacted]. Then it was filed here in february of 09 by a Sarah. And now Jeany? I'd go over to [redacted] and search on jane rich if you'd like a little more to the story that originated this complaint as it's been pretty active over there.
    As any breeder truly interested in the integrity of the breed will tell you, there really isn't such a thing as a 'pocket' and the breed club also has a bit to say on the matter. Also, anyone who knows even a little about the breed knows there is no such thing as a 'pocket' show quality shih-tzu both because there is no such thing as a pocket and because a shih-tzu of that size would be disqualified from any reckognizable and well known club due to it's size.
    I could go on and on and on about ETHICS and RESPONSIBLE breeder's who actually care but I won't for now. *just my opinions*

• De
    devilsadvocate4education Mar 13, 2009

This seems REALLY, and I mean REALLY similar to a report filed on [redacted] on 4/10/05 and is still being discussed over there. It's report number 138274. While I am not defending the seller, there is definantly a bit more to the story if it's the same person who filed that report over there almost 4 years ago. And there is no such thing as an 8 pound show quality shih-tzu as that is under show weight as most breeders will be more than happy to tell you. *just my opinions*