The Hart Group American Income Life / Deceptive recruting practices

1 Sacramento, United States Review updated:

I received a call from a woman today, indicating that she found my resume' on Monster, and wanted to discuss some opportunities with her company. It seemed like an insurance sales job, which I am not interested in. When I asked the recruiter if it was a sales job, she fumbled over her words, and indicated "There are many opportunities with my company, including management." She also asked me if I was employed, which I found to be a peculiar question.

She offered to have me come in for an "interview" tomorrow, to discuss how my unique qualifications might meet with the company's needs. After asking her questions about the company, she finally told me the name of the company. I set the appointment for the interview, but I had a strange feeling that something was amiss about this company.

I did a Google search, and was horrified to see the horrible reviews this company has. I sent the recruiter an email, canceling the interview. I'm glad I followed my gut instinct, and did not align myself with this company!!!

Before considering any company, do your homework! Make sure you know about the company, and that it has a good reputation.

Nb
Oct 14, 2014

Comments

• Ju
      30th of Mar, 2016
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

I was contacted by this "hart Group" in Tracy California offering me a job in management. They explained I would be working to assist people in receiving benefits fro the Union. I asked specifically if they were at all related to insurance sales and she replied NO. I do not feel they should be allowed to recruit with such blatant deception and actually flat out lie! This is hurtful and very discouraging for those looking desperately for employment. The time and trouble and emotional disturbance should be illegal. To lie to get someone to get all dressed up, missing other opportunities and travel a long distance to find this deceptive company there is wrong. This is a major company, I am sorry, where is public protection? WRONG!!!

• Mm
      21st of Apr, 2016

Thank you for posting. I also received calls from them 3 times this week, wanting me to come to Tracy for an interview. Same lines, the whole thing. I asked them to email me a full job description, which I have not received. I have no idea what kind of scam this is, but I am not driving all that way for a job I know nothing about.

• Ap
      17th of May, 2016

Wow I presently work a swing shift job getting off a 1:00Am I was preparing to drive to Tracy in the morning to interview for a Management Job with this company. It happened exactly the way the people above explained. A woman called to set up the interview and was very vague regarding the company. I asked her the classification of the job and she said between 60 to 80k or a little more for management. I stopped her and said no I meant, what is the job title, and she said Management. I am happy that I took the time to look the company up. I also requested a job description prior to my interview, she told me that they would email it to me, I never got it.

• Ro
      14th of Jun, 2016

I was excited to get a phone call.

Someone called saying they found my resume and see that I have HR experience; I was told they are opening an office in Hayward and Sacramento and have positions available. My excitement jumped before my judgement. Afterwards, I reflected on the phone call realizing the conversation was vague. What really got me looking deeper was the confirmation email: the email was sent from someone at gmail not from a professional email address, the email doesn't include the company name, and the confirmation email told me to be on time, bring a resume, and dress professionally. Being on time, bringing a resume, and dressing professionally are OBVIOUS. Why would they say that in the email. Also the email requesting me to bring a paper and pen because I will receive a lot of information was another red flag. Thankfully I did some research before driving out to Tracy this morning. I emailed them (Jamie) asking for the job title and job description and was told

"My job is to ask you a few questions and set up an interview. At the interview all of your questions about the different positions being offered, as well as pay, will be answered.
    If you're no longer interested then I'll go ahead and cancel your interview."

Well, that sealed the deal. I canceled the interview and remind everyone who reads, do your research and know what you are interviewing for.

• Ex
      15th of Jun, 2016

The same just happened to me. A cold call, claimed I applied for the job on Monster, I asked if it was sales and the woman emphatically said no and continued asking questions about my work history, I asked if she had my resume in front of her, she said no. Set up an interview in Tracy, 1 1/2 hours away and then looked up the company. Needless to say I will not be going to this "interview" for what is most likely a barely legal pyramid scheme.

I get a lot of this crap from Monster via email and this is my second call, but they've never blatantly lied before. I think Monster needs to do something about this. For now, I am removing my resume from their site.

• Da
      29th of Jun, 2016

This Monday I recieved a call from a woman claiming ahe found my resume on Monster and wanted to schedule an interview. She simply told me that the company she works for was branching out into the Elk Grove area. Then said that I'd qualify for a job. The company description she gave me was beyond brief. She told me the company was hiring Full-Time with benefits, yet I had a strong suspision with what little she said the job could be 100% commission based (which I am not going to do).

Unlike many of others who wrote reviews here, I was sent a confirmation text with the address & time of my interview. Of course it said "Dress professional, Have a resume, and bring a pen & paper". But I was also told due to the interview being Tracy multiple stage interviews would be done on the same day to the convience of those traveling long distance. Oh how they lied

I showed up early 10 minutes to spare, they asked me to fill out paperwork, but before I could even start an employee names Kylie introduced himself and I swear this guy needs to be fired. Due to past experiences with other companies I informed him that before we commence the interview I had 2 simple questions (because I didn't want to waste their time & visa versa). I asked "Are you indeed branching out into the Elk Grove area, because it would be convenient for me" and he was like "Duh, we called you. Do you realize your on a interview here". Then I asked if the job was 100% commission based and he responded "Its sales of course we do commission... But we have other postions that aren't commission based as well". Then he asked like 2 quick questions and had me leave. My interview was less than 5 MINUTES. I had a an interview at Chevy's last week go longer and be more respectful than this.

I left feeling belittled like this Kylie thought he was some big shot, and left with ZERO information about a particular postion. I professionally called back thanking them for an interview, and they had the nerve to want me to come back. I said I'd be available on Thursday hoping to settle things correctly because they were going to have me be interviewed by someone not in sales, yet after told them over the phone my availability the booked me for Wedneaday instead (all withing 10 minutes).

I'm happy afterwards my uncle told me to research this company. This site was the #3 result on Google for Hart Group. And as soon as I read these reviews I made my mind up to call in when I wake up later to cancel the appointment.

I'm tired of companies using shady recruiting tactics.

• Sl
      10th of Jul, 2016

Just because your not qualified to handle a job or are not offered a job does not mean a company is a scam. I have been to plenty of interviews where I was not a good fit and or the company was not a good fit for me, that doesn't mean the companies were a scam it means we were not a good fit. Instead of sitting around whining on the internet about not getting hired why don't you go out and find a better fit opportunity for yourselves. I have friends that work for this company and they make tons of money and help families, you should figure out a way to do the same.

• Su
      24th of Jan, 2017

@SL322406 You must be someone from the Hart Group. I received a call yesterday from Kevin. He left me a message that was so vague and he talked so quickly that I thought he was calling about an apartment. When I called back, he gave me the song and dance about my resume on Monster and said I qualified because I had management experience (no) and/or customer service experience (no, again). I asked him about the job and it was the one where you get union retirees to enroll in benefit programs (I'd get a whopping $500 each, but zippo if the person did not enroll.) He talked a mile a minute, which is a red flag. Any legit company is going to give you all the information to need to make a decision about whether to come in for an interview. This is not one of them.

11th of Aug, 2018

@SL322406 It's you're, not your ("Just because your not qualified to handle a job or are not offered a job does not mean a company is a scam. "). Also, some commas would help, unless you do not breathe and say everything in one sentence. Oh, by the way, you deciding to include, "Instead of sitting around whining on the internet about not getting hired why don't you go out and find a better fit opportunity for yourselves." is quite laughable, considering you spent the time to type your comment, and also decided to visit this webpage. Your "friends" who make "tons of money" and "help families, " are they happy with their lives? Truthfully. Or, would they be willing to accept a different career if the opportunity arose?

• Da
      19th of Sep, 2018

@Guess Who! The no commas and run-on sentences sound like Kyle posted that comment. He does in fact work there and this company likes to prey on individual that are looking for a better opportunities. They start by asking you what you are looking for in a job and then tell you that this job is that and more. They lie lie lie. Kyle is unprofessional in interviews and as a person. I unfortunately fell for their lies and waisted to much of my time with a company that doesn't care if you can pay your bills or not. They would sell their grandma used underwear that's how shady they are

• Ro
      19th of Jul, 2016

I have verified it myself coz the lady gave two different websites torch mark.com and hart group based in Tracy - I'm not going to that interview, she can't give out a persons name and contact number; I'm not new to this at 54 years old, my hair has gone gray already from this scammers.

20th of Jul, 2016

I got the same call today, wanting me to interview in Tracy. I told the woman that I didn't have any of the qualifications and she told me that they train you and they would screen me and match me to the best position.. I had a bad feeling about this and told her I wasn't interested. Glad I'm not the only one. Its strange that only 1 review is positive.

20th of Oct, 2016

Steer clear of this place. They're not actually looking to hire employees like a regular company. They're looking for people to join a MLM group. Believe every bit of negative reviews about this place. It's an office full of suckers playing dress up and pretending to be professionals. This place is as far from professional as you can get. They just want people to work under them for free so they can make money from their pyramid scheme.

28th of Feb, 2017

WATCH OUT this company is deceptive. fraud scam liars.

28th of Feb, 2017

BEWARE! WARNING!
    watch out for company like this one, deceptive, full of lies, scam, fraud,
    WASTE OF TIME. taking advantage of people who are looking for decent jobs and they screw your time, effort, etc

• Ta
      12th of Mar, 2017

Hello. My name is Travis Martin. I have an interview here Tuesday the 14 of March 2017. Which I'm looking forward too with great anticipation. To everyone here; I understand your concern and your disappointment In what you thought was a great opportunity. But let me tell you my opinion if you will lsten; OPPORTUNITIES, ARE WHAT YOU MAKE THEM. Sure, life is Trial and Error. But it does not have to be, it could and should be Trial and success, for those who are willing to get up at 4:00am and bust there back for their goals and want they want to achieve until 1 in the morning, sleep for three hours and do it again Monday thru Sunday, that's a boss a hustler an achiever, that knows what he or she wants and will do anything and let no one stand in their way. Commission or not! Now, if your afraid of commission, I understand, because we all have bills, and children that we can't risk, but in a position like this, the sky is the limit, if you have the utmost confidence in your self, determination, goals, desires, dreams. Sales is an entrepreneur position, only the best succeed, and the weak will be flushed out. Now I'm not saying for those who are listening, that your one to be flushed out; you just don't want to take that risk, and that's respectable, but the reason for my comment and my post, is just to state that Im not one of them, I will succeed I will achieve what it is I'm looking for, and if your like me, ; Don't let nothing stand in your way! Thank you. Travis Martin. ``hustle, grind, boss up, set goals, achieve those goals, repeat the process.''

• Mo
      19th of Apr, 2018

@Talisin M You're ghetto. You're immaturity astonishes me. Sounds like you are related with this company! I know that I had an instinctive idea about the evasive conversation regarding my questions about their job posting that I supposedly applied for. If your a paid recruiter for 100% commission for every interview you get via ambiguity and lying through omission, find a real career. Money doesn't make you successful. Integrity and competency to innovate your own business not a company that has no honor nor respect from 98.7% of people. There's more negative experiences here than the 2 people who protect the reputation of hart by getting defensive and juvenile. You look foolish and your making all the other's point! hart is not a job because jobs you're getting paid for your skill set and your time. I don't work for free or follow some illegitimate crowd making money for a signature and membership

11th of Aug, 2018

@Monica Parra Also, @Talisin M apparently doesn't know how to use the word "too" in the correct context. The grammar is like, "wow, really?" Where did you go to school Travis, and who allowed you to graduate? (if you did graduate). My goodness. Also, if you truly believe a sales person is the definition of the word entrepreneur, then we must have a lot of entrepreneurs at AT & T, Verizon, Costco sales booth, Footlocker, and other retail brick and motor establishments... Not! C'mon, really? Travis, it seems like you fell right in to their plan. Also, in this sentence, listen, is not the proper word to be used, "But let me tell you my opinion if you will lsten." This isn't a radio. One does not listen on this website, one reads (it's comments, not sound bytes or audio).

• Me
      25th of Aug, 2018

@Guess Who! @Guess Who! Please be aware! The grammar police is here to wreck havoc on those who have foolishly made errors on the "complaint board". If you happen to work for any of the mentioned companies, or are simply in sales, YES - you definitely CAN be an entrepreneur. Do not let a limited and thoughtless individual influence yourself. The best investment, is an investment in yourself!

• As
      20th of Mar, 2017

Just wanted to share my recent experience with The Hart Group.
    My story starts out the same as pretty much all of the above. Received a call from a woman named "Tania" who said she found my resume on Monster. Said it looked like I would be a great fit for the job, and that I sounded pretty natural on the phone. She spoke fast and when she was telling me about the job I misheard her and thought she said she was calling from "The Hartford" which is a company that I was familiar with because they managed the benefits claims for my last employer. I told her that and she said that was great. She scheduled me for an interview and told me to dress professionally. First flag- real employers don't ask you to dress professionally for an interview.

I drove out to Tracy, and they had a nice building with lots of professionally dressed people. I told the receptionist my name and that I was there for an interview. She checked a clipboard with a long list of names and said she didn't see me. She said that it was okay and told one of the managers I was there to interview. The manager came out and brought me into his office. He was a nice enough guy, very fast paced sales- type, but also very casual demeanor. At first I thought maybe this is just a "millennial" environment (no offense to millennials, I am 26 years old!) and maybe I'm just not used to working in such a "laid back" setting. He used a lot of "dude" and "man" when speaking to me. I told him I was familiar with the Hartford and he got really confused and said "Wait, this is the Hart Group not the Hartford". Of course at this point I was pretty embarrassed. The fact that I didn't know what the company was didn't seem to be an issue though .He rushed through the job description and it felt like he was leaving a lot out. The biggest points he was trying to get across were "You're going to make a ton of money" "If you work hard you can make $250, 000 a year" "You can take Thursday and Friday off and go to Vegas for all I care as long as you make your numbers". He didn't ask a lot of questions about my job experience, just told me how much money I could make. Towards the end of the interview I was filling out some contact paperwork and another employee came in and told me how much he liked the job and that he'd only been there for a few months and they were already talking about promoting him to a manager as long as he could get a team under him.

I went home and did a little bit of research on the company, and found this site and many reviews on Yelp and Glassdoor saying this was a pyramid scam. Their Facebook page has no information about the services the company provides, just posts saying they are hiring, pictures of professionally dressed people writing out bonus checks, and posts talking about how great it is to work there.

I texted the guy that I interviewed with and told him I changed my mind. Glad I went online and did a little bit of research before quitting my current job!

11th of Aug, 2018

@Ashley Buchanan You and me both (" Glad I went online and did a little bit of research before quitting my current job!").

• Pa
      28th of Mar, 2017

Some of the above comments put out a double check for me. I too was told other positions were available and sales was NOT my expertise. However after reading all this and being through some other "like companies BS" decided to cancel my interview. I have wasted my time twice and I do not want a sales position. I am a office support person, accounting or reception, administrative assistant. Gads were do they get sales from items of this nature stated on cover letters and resumes???? Thank you all for your feed back. I need a position that pays, not a training program and certainly con commission only.

• Ke
      19th of Jul, 2018

Stay clear. I received an email asking for an interview for a "Benefits Coordinator" position. After reading everyone's comments, i called the corpprate office for clarification of the job title. Karen said something to the effect that their "Benefits Coordinator" title is code for "Sales", and that this was a sales job.

Well. I was going to have to apy to Lyft 50 miles, get dressed up in 98 degree heat, and spend almost my whole day on this "interview". I was, and am, furious. I let Karen know this and canceled my appointment.

Don't even deal with this company. Liars.

11th of Aug, 2018

Something is just really off about this company. I received a recruiting email, and that already is an indication that something is off, because any great company that does not have a terrible turn over ratio, does not need to recruit employees. That's just strange in every aspect. Has anybody received a recruiting email from Apple? Google? Microsoft? Berkshire Hathaway? Costco? SpaceX? Amazon? etc. Probably not, because they don't need to recruit, unless they really want to, but who would know why. Long story short, I scheduled the interview, went to the interview, which was very strange, and reminded me of when I was working at an auto dealership. Their recruiting strategy is similar to that of an auto dealership sales position, in that they have weekly meetings, which attempt to hype up the sales staff, or pitch them stories about how they can become rich, and wealthy, if they put in the time and effort. But in actuality, if one puts in the time and effort in to anything, there's a good probability of success. Simply put, follow your dreams and goals, not the money. Money is good, in the sense that it allows us to purchase things and provide stability for our families, but I've never heard of anybody as a child saying " I wish when I grow up, I can become an insurance sales agent." Have you? Also, after about two interviews, hiring requires that you spend about $500, in total, before beginning to work for the company (The Hart Group). $149.00 Xceltesting, $83.00 PSI Exam, $80.00 LiveScan, and $170.00 California Department of Insurance. The way that they set up their hiring process is very strategic, so be mindful of what you are getting yourself in to. Really consider if this is something that you want to pursue, because if not, you will be miserable.