The Gym Group / Unjustified ban

1 London, England, Greater London, United Kingdom Review updated:

I have managed to attend The Gym in West Hampstead only once for 1 hour. Two days later I have received an email about ''PIN abuse'' that my membership is being terminated and I am banned from re-enrolment.
I have not shared or shown my PIN number to anyone and made sure no one has seen me putting it in the pin console while entering.
Confused by this groundless accusation I have tried to find out the details...
I have called two customer service numbers and emailed the membership services - in all cases the only response was ''this decision is final and irreversible''.
This is a ridiculous situation when I am being accused of something I have never done, there is no details being disclosed and no dialogue between myself and the customer services.

Comments

• Mi
      13th of Oct, 2010

wow, great forum, full of spam, where od i go to complaint about the complaintsboard?!

• Na
      11th of Nov, 2010

that is tue, this just happened to me yesterday. ive called customer services and with similar reply. "lifetime ban".
    the worst thing to do is to ban someone and accuse them of misusing when they are telling you they havnt.
    ive even spoken to the manager who, "for somereason" is convinced i have brought along a friend, saying he could see on his screen.

attending gym with friends doesnt mean ive given them my pin. they already have theirs.

• Za
      21st of Sep, 2011

My father has received such an email. They are not willing to provide a print out of the PIN usage or CCTV footage. They claim they send a warning letter first. When my father pressed for this information they confirmed they did not send a warning letter. You would think at least they would lift the ban since they did not issue a warning.

I and my brother in law are also members.

My father is 68 years old!!!

My father is considering going to the police and taking legal action.

They refuse to provide an address for the gym group office.

I have an email address which they gave reluctantly.

I think their own staff could be misusing the PIN, perhaps selling it for cash and when caught issuing bans.

• Az
      13th of Nov, 2012

The same has happened to me i have had an PIN ABUSE EMAIL ASWELL, and after ringing there customer number, they were rude and arrogant, there is definitly an issue here and its not that there members are abusing the pin numbers BUt that there is a problem with the way there monitoring there members. And enough is enough i say anyone who has an issue with lets take it to ICC AND TRADING STANDARDS AND EVEN WATCHDOG. There is something very suspicious going on and it seems its in house.

• Ze
      13th of Nov, 2012

I was working out in west hampstead gym wearing a tshirt and male jeggins, and one of the gym instructors said i had to leave because i was wearing jeans. I said they were imitation jeans for working out. He didnt listen. Although i was in the right i left immedietly and came home to wear sportier looking bottoms, and to my suprise i had a email from gym group. I have payed £60 direct debit today and seems like theft. I need help and advise on who to contact. I have emailed them and they just keep repeating theirselves 'you were wearing jeans'. This is obserd. No warning no nothing just theft of my hard earned cash and get told to go away and cancel my memebership the most unhelpful and unprofressional and arrogant humans. Someone help!!

15th of Jan, 2013

Happened to me today - I understand The Gym Group not wanting the service abused but what about abuse to their members? Clearly the security they have in place isn't working and rather than try and help their members they 'ban them for life' .
    Surely simply changing the code would help solve the problem - how can I stop the a faceless stranger using my code?
    AWFUL customer service

• Je
      4th of Mar, 2013

The same happened to me today. These guys really need to be reported to the trading standards agency.

• Da
      31st of May, 2013

Same here guys, received en email couple of days ago. No explanation no warning no phone call, just your banned end of no discussion. This gym has great facilities but this has changed my mind about the company, Will be recommending people to stay away.

19th of Jul, 2013

This happened to me yesterday, I made a complaint on the Consumer Direct website, I would suggest you do the same, as it is possible that they might run a scam, pretending a pin abuse...I had my membership for only 2 months and was going once or twice a week.

• Ta
      6th of Mar, 2014

Happened to me. Someone got hold of my PIN somehow. Maybe in error? Maybe hers is like mine? The way they handled it was horrible. I got there and she was there, which is how I found out about it because it wouldn't let me in! The manager guy came out and said I must have given it to her, but I don't know anyone where Iive and he said to another guy who came out "Ah, she doesn't know her" like I was lying or something! So I cancelled my membership so she couldn't use it anymore, but I'M being punished! I'M the one who is getting a lifetime ban.

I had an email about PIN abuse in the past, and I queried it then and got no reply so I made the assumption it was sent in error. Foolish me. After complaining, they said I could rejoin without the £20 fee but I said no. I don't want to go to a place where I'm automatically assumed to be a liar.

• As
      8th of Mar, 2014

This is definitely a case for BBC Watchdog and Trading Standards. It is happening to too many people.

• Kj
      12th of Mar, 2014

This happened to me today. I don't know what they are trying to do by banning / terminating for no reason. Looks like they have faulty system or may be simply trying to extract money from innocent people. I will lodge a complaint, they are simply looting people. Anyone else want to lodge a complaint, here is how you can do.. Go to the following link that gives all you for protection of consumer rights in UK: https://www.gov.uk/consumer-protection-rights...

9th of Jun, 2014

Thanks everyone for this comments. I was just ban last week from the gym, I had my membership for 3 months i use the gym twice a month max, and i receive a email of pin abuse membership canceled, they are not willing to talk to me or listen to my story im super upset and i want to make a complain because they calling me a liar.

• Wa
      30th of Aug, 2016

Have you tried the courts?