Steiner Transocean

4.4
Steiner Leisure
Miami, Florida
steinerleisure.com
I took a job aboard a cruise ship. Once onboard you are at the mercy of the comapany. They do not adhere to working hours. There are constant threats of being fired if you dare complain.The spa managers are power hungry bitter women who use that power to control and manipulate staff.One manager (Erica McEvitt) treated the spa as her own brother-hooking up girls with the officers.She obviously got something in return ?Money
If girls refused life onboard would become hell for them.This woman had power because of her connections with people onbaord.
Steiner does not care about anyhing as long as they get money. They throw people off at the gangway with no money or travel arrangements.There is no notice period.YOu can be told one mornin that you are firs and you need to get of fthe ship that day. They dont give you your pay and theres nothing you can do.
Complaint comments Comments (60) Complaint country United States Complaint category Beauty & Day Spas

Comments

D  26th of Jul, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I have worked for Erica and she did no such thing !! She was a GREAT MANAGER if u did your job !!

Life on board is hard and they tell u that befor u join the ship that is why you have training first and if you do not meet ur targets u are going to get fired that is in ur contract that you sign befor u get on a ship.. Your working hours are also in that contract and they tell you that if you do not meet ur targets you will have to do training and it also tells you you have to do inventory..

You will only do work or things that is in ur contract ur manager can ask u to do nothing else than what u have signed and agreed to do..

If u buy something from the shops and u are not happy with it you have the right to give it back, Steiner works like that, that is why you go do training befor you get on a ship they tell u everything that is expected from you and when u get on board and dont do what they expect they give you a chance they train you again but if you dont do your job you gonna get returned back home..
N  11th of Aug, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I worked with Erica McEvitt and she is a manager form hell. If she doesnt like you you suffer terribley. And for the girls she likes, I am shocked they sit and watch fellow colleuges being abused. She is a miserable little person and she will reap what she shows.
As for Steiner, my contract was all about manipulating passangers from the moment they step into the spa. I found it degrading and humiliating to press people to buy products that will not do much for them. I am a beauty therapist and not a saleswoman. There are constant threats of being fired and endless wasted hours of training to sell sell sell. I lived for my days off and did not leve early as I was insistent that Steiner would pay for my flight home and I wouldnt give them a cent of my hard earned money.Halfway throught my contract I gave up on retail Bulls@$% and decided to continue giving a great service and received tips ranging from 30 dollars to 100 dollars per treatment. I did not see the point of selling products to get a measly 7 percent commission. I remember 13 hour working days, doing 10 massages a day and 20 hour long stocktake. I will never go back to Steiner and I have been put off beauty therapy since that contract. I am now preparing at college to study a Physiotherapy degree.
To all the girls who go back contract after contract, you have no respect for yourself to be abused by a Steiner, I hope they go bust.
N  3rd of Sep, 2010 by    +2 Votes
hello. i totally agree with STEINER BEING A SHIT COMPANY- i worked for them in 2007- first ship and at only 19 exciting but scary. I went onboard as a massage therapist- dont get me wrong the ship i was on was amazing so were some of the people. Steiner as a whole though really do think about just the money and peoples looks!!! that academy was awful i felt like i was at an army camp, "put more lipstick on! make sure your hair is neater!!" (considering i am qualified in hairdressing and makeup i didnt fuck that one up!)
They said i would be working 12 hours per day max, i was prepared to do so mentally and physically...got onboard and worked 17hours per day with NO fullday off (5hours off per week) this really took its toll and i left after doing 4months onboard with CARNIVAL CRUISELINES (nothing against them, fantastic ships infact) it was Steiner who made it hell for me.
Its been 3 years since i got back feels like yesterday, I am planning to work on ships again but for other companys, OnboardSpa is ment to be really good.
So a big no no for Steiner although i do have one thing to thank them for- I have come out such a better therapist for it I learned so much in Holistic therapies so thats a good thing but as for looking after new staff and being professional-they dont have any idea!
N  25th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
I lost almost everything I have, I sold my car and furniture in order to get to london and pay all of the expenses. I took the job because I was sold on a presentation at the interview that was completely bogus. My plan was to better myself financially and come home to a nice nest egg! This is what I was told and what really goes on! 10-12 hour work days with a hour lunch and a hour dinner, try 13-14 hours with a 45 min. break! 1 1/2 days off a week, try 1/2 a day off which amounted to one day that you ONLY had to work 6 1/2 hours! EVERYONE hated their job and were completely misreable. Making everyday a nightmere. Not having proper supplies and inventory. Refilling Advertised products with generic products to use on clients! Lying to customers to get them to buy and highly exaggerating the kind of money you will make!!! I can not express enough what bullshit this company is!
A  10th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
If you worked for Steiner, then you sold your soul to the Devil. All the bad things that everyone has been saying about this company are true. The only things that make up for the bad are the good people that you meet and the money you make. Spa managers are for a lack of a better word, CRAZY. My spa manager (Douglas Gill) made everyone's life a burning inferno of hell. Manipulation, fear and emotional abuse were his tools for running the spa. If you had the balls to stand up to him, he would put on a smile and pretend that everything is cool, but really try to make your life hell. He is one of the very few people in my life whom I've ever met that can be describe as an evil, vicious and selfish human being...he shouldn't even be called human, he was a monster!
N  28th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
TO: seious2
we must have been on the same ship. steiner can kiss my ass if they think they will ever hear me promote ANYTHING to do with them again. their ethics and way of doing business is crap. someone with enough money needs to sue them for not adhereing to tghe maritime work laws. i, too, worked the hours that you mentioned. the entire staff - including myself- was grossly overworked (we definately worked 14/15 hr days) and had a 45 min break. some of us massage girls even had our lunch breaks taken away when it was busy = NO LUNCH/ BREAK for a 14 hours work day. fuck steiner and everything they stand for. nothing would please me more than a huge class-action lawsuit.
N  3rd of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I've been off my ship just over a year now & still suffering from the financial loss. Im never one to blame others for my failure, I've seen many people go on to live fantastic lives on ships, some even working for Steiner... I however was not one of those people.
I too sold everything to go live the dream, I was so pumped to get on a ship & make huge amounts doing what I love. On my second cruise onboard the NCL Norwegian Jewel I was at the top of the whole fleet. That means I out performed all other Personal Trainers across all NCL ships. I started getting emails from head office in Miami saying what a good job i'm doing & my manager loved me.
Somewhere along the way that all started to change. Don't ask me what happened. I analyzed my performance, changed strategies, asked for help but in the end, when the money stopped rolling in so did the support. My life was made hell. My manager (Audry Johnson) went from being the kindest most supportive manager, to being my worst nightmare. It got to the stage I felt sick to my stomach whenever she was around, (literally). I lived in constant fear.
I certainly do not blame Audry or Steiner for my drop in performance. I don't blame the long hours, minimal down time & very little pay. I knew it would be a challenge from day one. My advice for anyone interested working with Steiner would be, do your research. Don't just bitch & moan when times get tough, know what your getting yourself in for. This website shows Steiner in a pretty bad light. I could put you in touch with people still on board who love it.
In my personal opinion Steiner has been the best & the worst company i've ever worked for. I've learned very valuable lessons i'd never have learned elsewhere, but would I work for them again?... HELL NO!!! Im sure if your a money hungry Nazi that doesn't REALLY care about peoples well-being, you'd probably fit right in. But remember this (Steiner)... Running a business solely for profit is like playing a game of tennis with one eye always on the score board... How far do you think you'd get?
A  16th of Mar, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Steiner is pure evil!!! i was sucked in by the idea of travelling the world on a cruise ship, when reality is all you get to do is look out the window from the boat. I worked for steiner for 4 months before quitting. Finacially, i spent EVERYTHING getting myself to london on the promise i would be making a decent salary. First of all the accomodation in london provided by steiner IS A HOMELESS SHELTER/HALFWAY HOUSE that is disgusting, there is mould all through the rooms, no hot water after 10pm etc.. During training our hours were 8am - 10.30 pm (with 1 hour lunch, 1 hour dinner) 7days a week, you will get NO spare time when in london...most of the time we were awake until 2 or 3am trying to prepare for the next day. Steiner will also put you in host families after a week or so...mine was 2hours away on public transport, wasnt allowed to wash clothes, had no heating (i was there in the middle of londons winter!!!) and was sleeping in a room of 5...so much for 5 star staff...
Once you get on board it just goes even more downhill...everyone is the spa is scared shitless of the manager, they have the power to make your life onboard a living hell. The job pushes you physically and mentally, physically i was teaching up to 7 classes per day, every day. your body gets warn out and you do get sick...steiner doesnt care!! i injured my knee, but my manager said i would be fired if i didnt teach classes that day, so i pushed through it and the next day i could barely walk, when she told me to ice it and go a teach and i told her to go and #@&% herself. On another occasion right before i quit i tore a muscle ( didnt know it was torn at the time) but it was the worst pain ever!!! so so so painful, any the company - did not care!!! It hurt to do anything. we were lucky if we got 5 hours sleep straight, when you do its like a luxury.
My working hours were 7am - 10pm 7days a week, with a 1 hour break, one day per week we started work at 2pm allowing us the have the morning off. Once i was made to work 19 hours straight then had 6 hours off, then another 15 hour shift. When the team target for each cruise was not hit we were made to literally wash down THE WHOLE spa, with little "wet ones" towels. wash the walls, wash the windows, wash the beds - everything!!
people that stay working for steiner and especially the managers are all people who in the real world are very insecure type people who can only survive by intimidating, abusing and publically humiliating others. ship life is different to the real world there is no escape and people in higher positions than you on board have the ability to make your life hell. our manager also tried to pimp us out to the male officers, so that she'd stay in their good books, they organised "parties" for us that we were made to go to.
i pretty much got NOTHING working for steiner... no matter how many hours you work how many classes you teach (most are free classes) you dont get paid anything, usually I made around $20 per week. the week i quit i made a total of $5 .. its very dishearting when you busting a gut trying to make a living while the company you are working for are taking every last cent. In true steiner style i was kicked off in the next port (which was a dangerous port in the f%&*ing middle east!!!) with no money, no flight, didnt speak the language.. to top it off... once i got home i went straight to the doctors about the injuries from working for steiner which needed surgery totaling in thousands of dollars in medical bills...
STEINER IS A HEARTLESS COMPANY THAT WILL STEAL EVERY LAST CENT YOU HAVE, THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU, THEY WILL ABUSE YOU AND ALL OFF YOUR RIGHTS!!!
everybody hates it...the spa is the most miserable place on the ship, on the other hand ship life is a lot of fun!!! im planning to go back to work on ships, just never ever steiner...i truely hope they get the shit sued out of them until they have nothing left
A  17th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
I spent lo t and lot of money to go on board...
Well. the fucking liers. told me that life working for Steiner is like ... onc ein the life ...
But was completely fake, and they are just liars.
For Fitness is the worst...
We must pay an agency ( in Argentina) 900 usd, then pay the tickets, the visa, once in London .. pay the FEE . 500 Pounds.
Then pay the Yoga BOOKS !!! fucking crap books... that books cost 200 pounds.
Then, the CDS !!, and it is mandatory ... 200 pounds.
and when you go on board... hmhmhmh terrible.
teaching Pilates and Yoga, for 1 dollar !!! and people dont come easily to the Fitness Center.
and they turned my life into nightmare, when I discovered that people was resilient . resistan to the idea of buying pills !!!
Other point . I runned a research, and discovered ARSENIC, LEAD and MARCURY in the Detoxification pills.
The pills are fake !!! I asked thru email to the American Dietary Association, and also to the Journal of American Medicine association, and many Universities.
All of them told me that those pills are fake and arisk for your health, iodine can be toxic in 90% of the cases. !!!
and the SPEECH that we learn in Londond, is just a complety lie...
no doctor in this world will resist those "seminars" ...
They discovered my research, and they FIRED me, with no hesitation !!!
they are traitors, they accused me of some pills that disappeared.. hmhmh and then cancelled my visa, and aked for a NATION WIDE CRIMINAL ACT for me !!! was unveliable, a Nation Wide Criminal Record for me !!! wow, those Steiners are really afraid of being suited. They dumped me in Puerto Rico, and Police escorted me to the Airport. with HANDCUFFS . !!! and they took me the handcuffs only in the seat of the Plane, coming back to my country . !!
Really bad experience. !!
Steiner never anymore.
next time I will send the files of the RESEARCH. so maybe one of you can suit them !!! my email pablomartin005@aol.com
A  19th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Steiner's is the fucking lowlife of all lowlifes in the world. I was a hairstylist for this shit company from hell for a four month tryout contract, doing 22 updos a day at $35.00 a do, and selling about a $1, 000 of there shit products as well, making them about $21, 000 a month, and all I fucking got in pay was $50, 00 a week, and with tips and commission was about $900.00 a month. And Steiner's will always be 2 to 3 months late with pay. The number one fucking lowlife dog in the Miami office is Amandsa Francis, the queen pig bitch of all management, she will fuck you over for what little pay they give you one and all. After you quit it will take you up to a year or longer to get your back pay if you ever get it at all. I have been employed on ships for 14 years in the past, and I love ship life doing any other kind of job, bartender/barwaiter/roomsteward/purser and a lot more, as long as you work the ships company and not Steiner.
N  24th of May, 2011 by    +2 Votes
My parents and I are talking about a classaction lawsuit against Steiner. Did you ever have to "fake" your work hours so that they "equaled to" what they NEEDED them to be? Example- you worked 16, but they NEEDED them to equal to 12-13. This ### all company NEVER stuck to the Maritime work laws. If someone beats me to a lawsuit, then I hope they pull all the files on the employees. I will be the FIRST to join in. This company can kiss my ### an I will NEVER PROMOTE OR SELL ANYTHING RELATED TO STEINER AGAIN!
N  24th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
THE LAST COMMENT THAT I MADE HAS SOME ERRORS DUE TO THIS WEBSITE.

What is should read: Did you ever have to FAKE/ WRITE DOWN THE WRONG HOURS WORKED regarding your work hours so that they EQUALED what the company needed them to be.

Should you or anyone else that you know have documentation or a bad experience with Steiner, please post them to this site. Also, IF YOU ARE A AMERICAN please document what Steiner misrepresented and if TEHY broke THEIR contract in any way.
A  25th of Jun, 2011 by    +1 Votes
i really do feel sorry for all of you, i have read the above all in depth and feel for each one of you, but Steiner is not God something should be done.these malicious bullies on board who have no morals or work ethics as well as their false superiors should be shown a lesson, i hope karma prevails really i do.i thank god i never got on board when i had the chance years ago i always wondered what if what if?..not anymore.what goes around comes around guys and you may never hear or see it but just have faith it will happen.put it down to a bad experience and bad people, they dont deserve your anger or emotion anymore;
A  5th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
Been there !Done that! I am one of you guys We are victimize By that company!I hope karma will get them soon not too soon there will be an end to this company!
N  8th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes
hi guys
i have just got a job working with Steiner and i go to London for my training then board the ship after reading the above i am worried about what ship life is going to be like for a therapist is there any good points or is it all negative??? please get back to me i need some guidance
N  22nd of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
my steiner experience

When i arrived on the ship i loved it, new experience, new people, making money and thought it was the perfect job! However like all new things they do wear and become old. Once the peak season past the money was not coming in, the spa manager gets on your back about it as they are not making money (in comission and bonuses) and neither is Steiner. I went from being their shining star for the future to being a thorn in the side who was a probelm to them. Really i am no different to the vast amount of employees that pass through the company, you are as good as your revenue and as much as the spa manager likes you. I know some people who still love it and done numurous of contracts, and some people who loath the fact they ever went there.

Really it comes down to the ship you are on and your manager, and if your are unfortunate to get put on a ship where reveunue is low then it will be a long 9 month sentance for a new comer .There is stromg possibility that you will get one of these ships as the more expeirenced workers (2nd 3rd contracts etc) get to choose there ships and go on the high revenue ships, obviosly to make more money for themselves and Steiner. When revenue is low this is where Steiner get you, they pressure the spa manager to pressure you to squeze money out as it all adds up for them, a little here and a little there adds quick as they have the monopaly of the ships over a hundred or more. As a possible example if every spa can gain extra 50 dollars a day in treatment and products sales which is not very much in terms of prices of products and treatments on a ship. Over a hundred ships thats 5000 dollar extra revenue a day and then 1, 825, 000 dollars a calander year (as cruise ships operate all year round).

Really they are no different than any other corperate company all they do is get people to pay for their own training and pick up the fees like medical and visa's etc.This makes the companys profit margin bigger as it decreases expenses for Steiner. As maritime working laws are not as strict as Westerm working laws, they can make you work for less and more hours. Every company directors dream (one with out morals) working more for less money, in Steiner case its literally if know one is buying, you are not making money as their are no minimal wage limits.

Things to watch out for

Basically Steiner will say that the pay system is fine (% of what you sell) as you will be fully booked all the time, this is next to impossible as the ship makes stops in exotic destinations, which means the ships is almost empty of guests when you are in port but the spa and gym will still be open for business. Think of ot this way if you had one chance to see your dream destination, are you going to go for a treatment or are you going to get off the ship and make the most of it.! (it would have to be one hell of a treatment ot compete with that!). You are effectively competing against someones dream that has now become a reality and no spa treament will get in the way of that. This is where they get you for not paying you a hourly rate because they can keep the spa and gym open for business with out the cost of an hourly wage rate. When in dock, in theory they could give you the time off but wont as they dont want you to be on there having fun, they want you to work all the time! So you are tied into just basically working for free and higly unlikely to be doing any treatments (and if you do, the every little adds up come into play, if they only make fifty dollars on a port day its better than closing and making nothing at all because they over hundred ship worl wide doing this). You can earn extra time off from incentive hours from good work performances, subject to your spa manager, this is when your spa manager liking you is a great help!

The length of the contract (9 month) is a bit of a drag up to six months is enough because its a very repetive and regimental life style. You are living your life to a cruise ship itenary as you have to be back on the ship to set sail etc, travelling the world on a ship sounds like freedom but its far from it as you have no say in where you want to go and see.
You have to attend 2 boat drills every cruise, drills can last up to an hour or more (depending on the scenario they are drilling).

Cruise ships employe staff world wide this is both good and bad. The good being you get to learn about the way of life from different countrys and make permanent friends contacts from around the world. The bad being some people are narrow minded and dont like certain countrys, there way of thinking is, i dont like that particular country so i dont like you because you are from there (they dont actually say this but you get the impression). This is no dis respect to any particular nation but rather to individuals who are bitter and facist. Just like on land you get nice people and horrible people the bad thing is that you cant escape them so you have to do your best not to let the bad people get you down! if you dont like some keep your distance as best as you can dont even give them the satisfaction of speaking to them unless its work related.

Spa managers are trained to make money, they will manipulate to do this and lack people management skills. A classic to watch out for which happen to me was one cruise i broke the the highest money made ever on that ship for Steiner, 2 months later that same cruise came up and made one of the lowest ever and got a big lecture on how it was me doing it wrong and not putting in is as much effort and the old spill off you will get fired blalh blah blah. My advice would be to follow it as best as you can but dont be to pushy with selling further treatments and products as guests will complain about you to guest relations. Focus on a good service as they will tell other people and are more likely to tip, focus on your strengths, take steiners advice on promoting and selling because some of their ideas do actually work!!!

Guests will either sing your praise or they will be out to gun you down. One guest will right you a letter telling you how amazing you are and leave 50 dollars in there. Some will right a letter on a feedback form saying how worthless you are, because they are cheap and trying to gain compensation . Just rember everyones opinion is different and you cant please everyone, even though steiner will tell you that it is your fault and if it continues youe guest it, the old losing you job talk gets delivered to you!

How to survive

You will go onto the ship alone and you will leave alone and are unlikely to see those people again unless you return to do another contract, in a nutshell look after your self as best as you can and dont let anyone use or abuse, either male or females can be exploited by other memebers of staff (some members of staff are genuine and some are snakes and are out for what they can get). Always aim to have something to look forward to, either a trip or a new port. Set goals at work look to find new ways to make your job more efficient and fun. To an extent it is what you make it that said it is easier said than done due to the pressurre and high demands of the job. As you know spa and gyms can be bithcy places to work, avoid there politics and stay as disciplined as you can and stick to your own treatments as this can upset other therapists and make life more uncomfortable.

Make friends in high places, this is impossible to do with stiener as the most senior memebers of staff is your spa manager and this is the downfall with trying to succeed in a company managed from a head office. How ever on the ship there are some powerful people eg the captain, staff captain, human resource manager, hotel director etc. Basically become the peoples champ, if the guests love you then those people love you. Guests come back because of their experience and the above people know that brings success on a crew ship. If guests know you (for the right reason obviuosly)they will talk about you this can be a simple as a conversation in the cafe a good service etc and build on it, they talk to one of the senior memebers of staff then word spreads about you. This opens new benefits guests invite you for a meal take you out on trips etc etc. Simply if the captain and hotel director see that the guests enjoy your experiences then they will want to keep you, and this is regardless off your revenue as this does not effect the cruise line directly (only steiner) because the important thing for the cruise line is that guests enjoy their time on the ship and this is what makes money for them. And this is your insurance policy because they cant sack you for low revenue as its not solely down to you as there are other factors that can affect revenue. But steiner get you at the end of your contract by not offering you a second one, and they have not really lost out as you were on a low revenue ship anyway. But if you do manage to impress then you can possibly get to go onto higher earning ships.

My tips would be only do it if you are finacially stable, dont sell all you belongings or take out loans etc. As you will never probably make it back, maybe with a few exceptions people to not get mega rich out off working on cruise ships. If you are doing it for the fun then dont bother with Steiner work in the shops (eg Harding brothers) or the casino as you get all the port time off as they cant trade when in a coutrys waters only in international waters (at sea).To be honest the ports is the best bit by far as when you are on the ship its really not that exciting and after a while it becomes a floating tin can to you.

Hope the above helps, and has prob left a few of you thinking what happend to me (did i quit, or get fired). I am not going to go into to much detail as i dont know who reads this, however think about it you work for 70 plus hours a week and rarely get a full day off for a long period of time. I developed an over use injury from working to much and was medically disembarked and Steiner were not kegally obligated to offer me a new contract and as you can prob guess they didnt!

Steiner is a conver belt, it was the easiest job to get and the easiest job to lose! The saying you are just another number is a very true saying where Steiner is concerned. When your time is up there will be some one trained up at one of their academys to take over with in a matter of hours!!!

good luck all xoxo
A  26th of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
To any Prospective STEINER employees do NOT believe all their ###!!! I personally know someone who recently finished Steiner training and is working on a highly recognised ship and let me tell you...No matter how good a salesman you are you cannot sell products when you are at Sea 7 days and 5 of them are in port! No one is going to go to a seminar when they could be touring a new city are they.

Your working day will be at LEAST 12 (moe like 16) hours with 1/2 lunch break if you are lucky. Your days off wont be "days" off but mostly mornings off and because you cannot afford the internet on the ship you will all rush to a free wi-fi spot to keep in touch with your family - you will pay exhorbitant prices for the coffee or food because you are in the middle of tourist town -

An example of the pay will smack anyone reading this... for 10 weeks working 12-16 hours a day 6 days a week ... $230!!! Yes thats what I said $230... do the maths... $23 per week... slave labor!

This company takes young eager kids and bleeds them of every cent to get to the UK to train, YOU pay your air fares, YOU pay their fees for training, YOU pay for their uniforms, YOU pay for a medical, YOU pay for your music... and after that IF you pass you get put onto a ship where you would have to work 5 years to earn back what they have charged you to get there.

Something needs to be done about this company! It feeds lies and promises of non existant possibilities with absolutley NO duty of care to the staff. If the comany was land based they would be closed down and I for one also hold the Shipping lines responsible for not ensuring there are minimum wages and conditions they must adhere to!!

SHAME STEINER TRANSOCEAN SHAME! I will spend the rest of my breathing days warning people to never work for this company and I dare a representative of Steiner to disprove any of the above statements.
N  28th of Jul, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Im 21 years old and im starting a 9 month contract for steiner on the carnival elation in august this year. I was at first very excited to go and then my doubts settled in. after reading all the above comments, i am completely shaken and scared to go through with it. is there anyone who has been on the carnival elation, working in the spa, that could give me any advice on what to do. it would be much appreciated, coz right now my father has already paid for everything and he would never allow me to back out and waste his money.
N  3rd of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
@in deep water, I just happened to be looking into working on a cruise ship, b/c I'll be going on a cruise at the end of this month. It's actually with AMTA, and we'll be taking some continuing ed on the ship... and it's on the Elation! So hopefully you will be able to meet some massage therapists, as there should be quite a few of us on this cruise! Our cruise is Aug. 27th, and it's 5 days. So hopefully that will give you something to look forward to... I know most of the LMTs going on the cruise would be more than happy to give you some encouragement! I was actually planning on trying to get a massage b/c I wanted to talk to the therapists working on the ship about how they like it! Maybe I'll meet you! Don't be scared... if you end up hating it, you never have to do it again! I'm sure if you go with a positive outlook, it will be fine! Good luck! -STINA
N  7th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hi everbody!

I´m from Spain, so english is my second language, wait for mistakes! I worked for Steiner for 6 months (I broke the contract). I would like to be short, but is hard when it comes to this experience!

My first complaint starts with the Elemis training in Watford, London. Wow, I couldn´t believe how dirty was in the YMCA! But I was still having some hopeness in the classes... until I felt in the training as an endless brainwashing and as if I were in some Wherever Next Top Model show... Every teacher, and the director were completely sick about the hair, outfit, behavour. So massages stopped being important. Now it comes the retail, retail, retail. And more brainwashing. I could keep going, but if you already have lived that then you know what I´m talking about.

At the ship: My journey was from 8 am to 8 pm with 45 minutes for lunch. Plus cleaning plus endless meeting out of duty hours. In a 7 days cruise there were 3 days with 4-6 hours off. (Don´t dream about a full day off)
I had bad luck with my colleagues, they constantlly were accusing each others from stealing clients or products from their treatment rooms, and there were extremely competetive. The manager didn´t help, so it was possitive to have people fighting to make more money. Talking about motney, another joke was the "ocean pay card"... we were being paid in cash, in an envelope with no any any kind of detail, so if you really wanted to know if you were being fairly paid, then you had to make your own accounts. Anyway, fair or unfair I made 6.000 euros in 6 months, which is really low, cause my retail was being practicaly cero, and I wasn´t in this war of the client hunting. So if you are a good retailer you can make double or triple easily.

So, to the people who is ready to embark now, don´t get down: even with this ambience, dissapointed, exhausted and with absolutely crazy manager I managed to have fun. I went there to travel, not to sell. I gave every massage with my heart, because is what I like, and I didn´t lie to make retail. I was there for travelling and have the experience of my life. And it was, just being deaf and blind to the manager and the rest of unpleasant things.

Life on board is great (some people are not ready, but you will see it) Is Steiner what doesn´t work. I felt that we were the people working the most in the whole ship, even housekeeping had more time off than us. But the itinerary was great, and crew parties, if you have the energy. I made lots of friends and I improved in languages, you really can learn a lot if you like.

So, I would come back, but not as a massage therapist with Steiner!!!

Good luck and wish you a great experience (is possible)

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree